Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Do you know if its the same kind of lottery with Swedish post and Swiss post? I see a number of Chinese suppliers are offering these options now.

I don't deal with those unfortunately. Our warehouse is based in the Netherlands so that's how I end up dealing with POSTNL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I would never trust a Chinese adapter I got free in a package either, straight in the recycling bin, they're one of the few exploding Chinese battery/laptop/condom media scare stories with an element of truth behind them, they're dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭unaaine

spix wrote: »
    An mi3 that I impulse bought during the aliexpress sale has arrived. Apparently this is an Irish adpater

Has anyone actually ever received the proper adapter? I don't think sellers like sending them as they're bulky compared to the EU and whatever this one this.

Today received my Mi3 ordered from the Xiaomishop.eu on Monday eve. 3 x chargers adapters supplied - 1 x Chinese and 1 x EU adapter it fits in to. One car charger also. Probably won't use them as as will plug the micro usb lead supplied into my usb plug. I'd post a pic of chargers plus accessories but am not allowed as I'm new.

Happy with length of time from ordering to delivery. Paid a little extra (maybe €25) through Xiaomishop.eu but worth it for hassle free delivery and no worries re customs charges. DHL tracking showed phone was picked in a facility in Italy, before going through Germany, the UK and then Ireland. Not bad in ust over 3 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

unaaine wrote: »
    Today received my Mi3 ordered from the Xiaomishop.eu on Monday eve. 3 x chargers adapters supplied - 1 x Chinese and 1 x EU adapter it fits in to. One car charger also. Probably won't use them as as will plug the micro usb lead supplied into my usb plug. I'd post a pic of chargers plus accessories but am not allowed as I'm new.

Happy with length of time from ordering to delivery. Paid a little extra (maybe €25) through Xiaomishop.eu but worth it for hassle free delivery and no worries re customs charges. DHL tracking showed phone was picked in a facility in Italy, before going through Germany, the UK and then Ireland. Not bad in ust over 3 days :)

Hi How much did you pay for the phone, please, incl delivery

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi How much did you pay for the phone, please, incl delivery

All in €272, incl. express delivery DHL. Probably could've paid €25 less, but it was worth it to me. No worries about hidden customs charges or handling fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gneoh

All in €272, incl. express delivery DHL. Probably could've paid €25 less, but it was worth it to me. No worries about hidden customs charges or handling fees.

Add another €60 and u get Nubia Z7 Max from Top Reseller store(Italy)....which is a better spec phone overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

gneoh wrote: »
    Add another €60 and u get Nubia Z7 Max from Top Reseller store(Italy)....which is a better spec phone overall

Ah you can play the "another X amount of euros gets you X phone" game with every single phone purchased in this thread to be honest.
    You have to draw the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seannash wrote: »
    Ah you can play the "another X amount of euros gets you X phone" game with every single phone purchased in this thread to be honest.
    You have to draw the line somewhere.

Totally agree & we can easily be made to believe that we will see the difference in everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

If anyones wondering how long phones will take coming from China

I ordered on 19th August, was shipped on 24th, arrived in Ireland 4th and delivered the 5th.

17 days total. Transit time 11 days (9 working)

This was with Singapore post. So anywhere between 2 - 3 weeks depending on how fast the seller ships it and if it goes to customs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

spix wrote: »
    If anyones wondering how long phones will take coming from China

I ordered on 19th August, was shipped on 24th, arrived in Ireland 4th and delivered the 5th.

17 days total. Transit time 11 days (9 working)

This was with Singapore post. So anywhere between 2 - 3 weeks depending on how fast the seller ships it and if it goes to customs.

No customs no?

• Advertisement

gneoh wrote: »

And add another €60 onto to that and I'd get a phone with a much better spec than a Nubia Z7. The aim was to get as good a spec as possible for my budget and as far as I can see it would be hard to get a better phone for that price - that met my requirements anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Fabio wrote: »
    Got mine today too ;)

Did you get away with customs or did you have to pay any charges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Did you get away with customs or did you have to pay any charges ?

Maybe the charter for this forum needs to be updated to prohibit the constant chatter about customs duties.

No one likes to pay more taxes but if you buy goods from outside the EU, you should expect to pay duty on it. The constant whining about it is tedious and tiresome and, IMO, ruining what is a great and informative thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Its an excellent forum, and from it, I have narrowed down by choice of phone,

It is human nature that nobody wants to pay over the odds for anything, and I for one appreciate the input on duties etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Gyalist wrote: »
    Maybe the charter for this forum needs to be updated to prohibit the constant chatter about customs duties.

No one likes to pay more taxes but if you buy goods from outside the EU, you should expect to pay duty on it. The constant whining about it is tedious and tiresome and, IMO, ruining what is a great and informative thread.

I am not whining about it, I am merely asking if he paid any. I bought the exact same phone from a supplier who ships from within the EU, so was just curious as to whether he had paid extra charges on top of his initial purchase price.

I expect to pay customs on phones shipped from China, and allow for that when considering a purchase, I don't 'whine' about it but surely I should be allowed to ask whether people paid more than the initial layout for their phones.

I am not looking to 'avoid' customs nor am I encouraging anybody else to. Some sellers ship from within the EU, and presumably have paid the appropriate charges on import to the EU, and the phones cost a bit more from them than they do directly from China. People then have to allow for the customs/vat/handling charges before making up their mind which way they want to purchase.

If you allow for the extra charges that may be incurred on import and then compare it with the price from a seller within the EU you can then decide if it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

I heard DHL are better for avoiding customs charges until I read this thread because they mark it that they've checked it etc. so customs are less likely to look. Is this not true and therefore the likes of Singapore/China Post etc. gives you a better chance?
    That website doesn't load for me with .eu, but it does for .com. Are these different sites? Is it only the .eu where you won't get hit for customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Incidently, when xiaomishop send my Mi4, they marked the package value at 79.99 so customs was charged off that rather than what was actually paid for the phone. They did it without me asking them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭spartan5397

fixxxer wrote: »
    Incidently, when xiaomishop send my Mi4, they marked the package value at 79.99 so customs was charged off that rather than what was actually paid for the phone. They did it without me asking them to do it.

I read about alot of Chinese resellers doing that before. I heard its that they mark the value of the goods at the price which they purchase them from the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

thebuzz wrote: »

That website doesn't load for me with .eu, but it does for .com. Are these different sites? Is it only the .eu where you won't get hit for customs?

Xiaomishop.com is the one we are using. Seems highly reliable so far. Think everyone has had a good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Xiaomishop.com is the one we are using. Seems highly reliable so far. Think everyone has had a good experience.

How's the Note ? Any problems ?

• Advertisement

I heard DHL are better for avoiding customs charges until I read this thread because they mark it that they've checked it etc. so customs are less likely to look. Is this not true and therefore the likes of Singapore/China Post etc. gives you a better chance?

There is an EUDirect tab on the Xiaomishop.com website
    xiaomishop.com/28-eu-direct

There you'll find a much smaller list of available phones from their EU warehouse which you can order.As another poster said, it's not that you avoid customs by ordering from their EU warehouse, but assume that Xiaomi have taken care of customs themselves. Even though you can get the same phone elsewhere for cheaper - and not by a lot - between €20-€30, IMO it's not bad value to cover express delivery, customs and you get a few accessories incl chargers, usb lead and most usefully, a flip leather case.

For anyone who's registered at aliexpress check your email (maybe junk) They're giving out $10 coupons

"Thank you for choosing AliExpress as your online shopping destination! To make your next purchase even sweeter, we’ve sent you a US $10 Coupon that can be used on any order larger than US $100. First come first served! Don’t miss this chance to save more. Get the coupon now. Click here to get your coupon. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

My friend has the jiayu g4s but unfortunately the screen is cracked so isn't usable now,just wondering if anyone knows anywhere I could get it fixed?
    If not do mixeshop have like a one year warranty ?

honda boi wrote: »
    My friend has the jiayu g4s but unfortunately the screen is cracked so isn't usable now,just wondering if anyone knows anywhere I could get it fixed?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Repalacement-Touch-Screen-TP-and-LCD-Screen-Set-for-JIAYU-G4-G4S-G4C-G4T-Smart/1809877697.html

If the display itself isn't damaged you can find digitiser only for much less, but is more complicated to replace.

Video guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-QGR2mlDVU

Warranty likely won't cover cracked screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Discodog wrote: »
    How's the Note ? Any problems ?

Nope. Working perfectly. Would recommend it to anyone for the price (€211). Not much more you want in a phone. Watched a HD film the other night on it. The quality is unreal. Also put a 64gb class 10 SD card in it. More storage than I'll ever need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

honda boi wrote: »

I've a bit of experience fixing phones if you don't want to chance it yourself, or there's surely somebody local that knows the ins and outs

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Has anyone here got the Xiaomi Redmi 1S? Reading reviews saying there's issues with the battery and over heating, anyone here having problems with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Has anyone here got the Xiaomi Redmi 1S? Reading reviews saying there's issues with the battery and over heating, anyone here having problems with it?

I have one and have no such issues. Do you have a link?

FYI for other users on the forum new version of miui 37 the past few days, allowing pictures taken be saved to the SD card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm looking to buy an Android phone, and was going to spend around €100. Anyone any suggestions on what to buy? Was looking at the M-Horse s60.

Doesn't have to be a powerhouse, just something with a decent screen and good quality input, won't be doing much other than web browsing/few movies/phone use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That question has been answered recently a couple of times in the last 10 pages Id say, you're fairly pushing it at €100 anyway imo, something will be lacking at that price point, the screen resolution usually...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement