Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

jesus 216 for that is quite expensive. what delivery did you pick?

What did customs get you for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

spix wrote: »
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Repalacement-Touch-Screen-TP-and-LCD-Screen-Set-for-JIAYU-G4-G4S-G4C-G4T-Smart/1809877697.html

If the display itself isn't damaged you can find digitiser only for much less, but is more complicated to replace.

Video guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-QGR2mlDVU

Warranty likely won't cover cracked screen.
    Thanks for the info,will give it go.
    Much appreciated

spix wrote: »
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Repalacement-Touch-Screen-TP-and-LCD-Screen-Set-for-JIAYU-G4-G4S-G4C-G4T-Smart/1809877697.html

If the display itself isn't damaged you can find digitiser only for much less, but is more complicated to replace.

Video guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-QGR2mlDVU

Warranty likely won't cover cracked screen.
    Thanks for the info,will give it go.
    Much appreciated

I've a bit of experience fixing phones if you don't want to chance it yourself, or there's surely somebody local that knows the ins and outs

Thanks,gonna give it a go myself,doesn't look to hard to do,thanks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KoA-Ollie

Hi thanks for the recommendation, have been checking reviews for it and it does look great spec wise, but the battery is meant to be pretty weak and one of the reviewers ones broke within a few days, i suppose when its such a great price there's bound to be a few flaws though! that website looks great though is it free eu delivery and no customs ya?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

RossieMan wrote: »
    jesus 216 for that is quite expensive. what delivery did you pick?

What did customs get you for?

Not expensive all things and costs...anyone will encounter these costs..but it is a big spec.

Standard post over from china, taken 3 weeks nearly.
    €46 customs, 170 for the phone and postage.

However a buyer will have it this week, with a free leather cover which is good quality.

Hope i dont have to see lit to be honest. Really want it to work:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Go home, Meizu, you're drunk...

http://www.gsmarena.com/meizu_mx4_pro_specs_allegedly_leak_4gb_of_ram_rumored-news-9581.php

4gb of RAM?

Oh god, it calls to me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Was intending to spend more but availability/lack of dual sim/delivery times meant I just wanted a decent phone soonest! Used xiaomishop.com and ordered a RedMi 1S last Monday afternoon, phone by Thursday morning, came with chargers and adapters (binned) and a free case (likely to be binned), I ordered a blue textured flip case for a fiver and on suggestion from a video comparison of it and the Moto G, the tempered glass for another fiver.

I think it was a mistake to bin that charger. My 1s charges in about an hour with it - every other charger takes much longer. Pull it back out of the bin!!

If I set the screen to auto brightness I can get 2 days out of a single charge. I'm very happy with the phone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

KoA-Ollie wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the recommendation, have been checking reviews for it and it does look great spec wise, but the battery is meant to be pretty weak and one of the reviewers ones broke within a few days, i suppose when its such a great price there's bound to be a few flaws though! that website looks great though is it free eu delivery and no customs ya?

On stock thats it Europe already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Here's my review of the UHAPPY UP520 5.0" aimed at those who want a competent smart phone for quite frankly a pittance. Very briefly, this is a 5in 960x540 1gb mtk6582 based phone fairly new to the market. Full specs can be found in the link above. It runs stock KitKat 4.4.2 with a few tweaks, most notably the gesture and tap to wake features. These actually work very well, better than on my Oneplus One in fact! There are quite a number of gesture functions & they differ from those in the preview.

Right onto the review, the phone itself is a nice size and comfortable in the hand. It's closer in size and weight to a Galaxy S4 than an S5. It's a plastic affair with a metal trim round the screen. It feels sturdy, with no creaking or loose fittings. The bubble textured back has a nice feel to it and does offer a better grip when holding with two hands in landscape. It doesn't really help in portrait though.

The screen, despite the paltry 960x540 resolution, is really great. Colours are vibrant, viewing angles are top notch and sensitivity is spot on. My standard test for touch sensitivity is Subway surfers and the UP520 didn't miss a single swipe, zooming and text entry is also good. The low resolution is immediately apparent in games & videos though. Subway Surfers has heavy aliasing & Youtube maxes out at 480p. On the other hand the low resolution means the mtk6582 is better able to handle graphic heavy web pages & gaming. Worms 3 runs flawlessly and Subway Surfers was fluid. GTA Vice City runs great at native resolution with 70% draw distance, at high detail. Antutu was 18777.

General experience is excellent. Switching between apps is almost instantaneous, despite having only 1gb of ram. Hitting the home key brings you out of whatever app you're using with only a few ms delay (this delay may be down to the home button doubling as the app switching button, via long press). Double taping the screen, instantly wakes the phone and the OS is lag free (most apps open within a second and are usable within a few seconds).

Sound quality from the loudspeaker is ok, very loud but distorts a little at max volume. I haven't tested call quality so I can't comment on that or cell reception - yet. Wifi is excellent! I was pleasantly surprised to find it more than capable, with a great range almost as good as the Oneplus One. Streaming HD video worked very well and the processor is more than capable of decoding 1080p videos. GPS is a another matter. Outside it works fine picking up 13 satellites in under a minute. But I also tested it on a downstairs window sill next to the Oneplus One where it briefly managed to lock onto a lone satellite compared to the the Oneplus One's 17! What I suspect this might translate to in real world usage is, fine on the open road, then crapping out as soon as you reach a built up area. What I've come to expect from previous mtk based phones I've tried.

Battery life has yet to be determined as I only got it this morning. And finally the Camera... it's terrible. Well the back one is anyway offering up abysmal, washed out, flat looking photos with very little detail resolved. It's next to useless in low light conditions. The 5mp front camera fairs a little better, keeping it's washed out blurry look, but serving up acceptable quality selfie's. So grand for those who enjoy snap chatting I guess. Video is a blurry pixelated affair, which for some reason is recorded at 1080p in 3gp format at the 'Fine' setting. Again this is in low light conditions, so I could be judging it harshly, but I doubt it'll improve drastically in daylight. So one major detraction then.

Now the selling point, this costs $99 delivered, roughly €80 for a phone (camera & gps aside) that comes very close to the Moto G in performance, which currently retails for double the price! I know I've skipped over one of the most important parts of any phone review i.e. the call quality, something I intend to address tomorrow. But as of now I have absolutely no problem recommending this phone to anyone who wants a cheap smart phone, that isn't a chore to use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KoA-Ollie

just wondering what antelife is like for buying stuff from? they deliver from a spanish warehouse, deliver european and I see they have the mi3 available for 235 euro so seriously tempted to break my budget after reading all the great reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 natome121276

eamonnq wrote: »
    gearbest.

Hexacore anybody ?
    just being inofrmed that gearbest is selling updated inew v8, 2GB RAM +16GB ROM at the same price as before. they also offer a Coupon code: GBV8LM, so you can get in it at $195.99 free shipping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

As budget phones go , I like the looks of this for a good branded phone with a price of €111.

Dacent battery and metal body.

http://www.etotalk.com/lenovo-s660_p5461.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lenovov really need to stop putting that old fashioned brand font across the top of all their devices, its really not an attractive logo.

I was all excited as Etotalk are having a sale on Lenovo phones , thought there would be 60% off the K910, instead it has only dropped $10 :(

Thargor wrote: »
    Lenovov really need to stop putting that old fashioned brand font across the top of all their devices, its really not an attractive logo.

They should look at the new iuni phones to see good design. Looks are not Lenovos strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Has anyone got their gps to work,i have a cubot p9 and using S su i find the phone comes from a satellite based in taiwan,and can not locate our satellites,i have managed to get some epo files from xda developers,but do not know what to do with them,i have mtk epo fix installed and gps test ,and mobileuncle,has anyone been in the same position and resolved the gps issue. I see a thread here about using bluetooth with a regular sat nav,(playstore blooth gps)but dont want to risk loosing my bluetooth as some downloaders have. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

download faster gps from the playstore and set it to Ireland.

Improves the lock on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Have already done so and set it to ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

horse7 wrote: »
    I see a thread here about using bluetooth with a regular sat nav,(playstore blooth gps)but dont want to risk loosing my bluetooth as some downloaders have. thanks.

I think the only way to get it working properly is to use a separate bluetooth GPS receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was pretty set on a Mi3 but the issues in the Mi3 thread here are putting me off. There are suggestions that Xiaomi phones have problems with notifications on some apps & also with widgets.

So what's out there that offers pure Android ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Jiayu on adverts now, hopefully I get a quick sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

\i dropped my Cubot s208 and the screen shattered into a million pieces! anyone know if you can get a replacement screen readilly in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Discodog wrote: »
    I was pretty set on a Mi3 but the issues in the Mi3 thread here are putting me off. There are suggestions that Xiaomi phones have problems with notifications on some apps & also with widgets.

If it's any help, I'm not experiencing the problems others are having.

If it's any help, I'm not experiencing the problems others are having.

Thanks but I don't really want to be updating my phone all the time. I am not into rooting etc. I want a 5 or 5.5 inch phone that just works well with Android & Play apps, widgets etc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I've had a quick look at the thread, I think the issues are caused by an update, does anyone here have these issues, and what update lead to the issues

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭unaaine

The problems I'm experiencing are small IMO. And fixable I'm sure, probably with an update. Overall I'm delighted with the Mi3. It's really nice to handle, the screen is brilliant and it's super quick. It''s early days but it feels like a quality phone :)

I don't doubt that it's an excellent phone. It's MUIU that doesn't appeal. I would prefer unadulterated Kitkat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I don't doubt that it's an excellent phone. It's MUIU that doesn't appeal. I would prefer unadulterated Kitkat.

Nexus is the purest android, apparently ASUS don't mess too much with firmwares either

• Advertisement

Nexus is the purest android, apparently ASUS don't mess too much with firmwares either

How about Lenovo? I was thinking about the 910.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement