Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Tis roughly €200 from Mixeshop with Dutch post (no customs).
    RossieMan wrote: »
    of you contact them, you'll definitely pay customs on top of your order. it might slip through if you don't contact them. you'd be talking at least 80-90 euro if customs pick it up and they ask for purchase details.

I know! VAT alone will be 80 quid. The phones aren't looking so cheap now...

I thought once they had it that was that, I'll leave it for a few days so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

spix wrote: »
    Sent me a mi3 with faulty speaker. The most partial refund they will offer is $10

My other option is to pay to send it back for 'testing' then they will tell me my options.

Also its like talking to a robot.. no matter what I say its 'pls send it back' ' sorry for your order'

Are any of the other resellers much better with this sort of issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Have ordered myself a Jiayu G4s.

Anyone here know if their is any issues rooting the device/Installing custom roms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

rickyjb wrote: »
    My package from mixeshop is currently sitting in customs :(

Anyone know what I'm meant to do now, or who I contact? Searched this thread but couldn't find any info, it was shipped with Netherlands Post. Thanks.

email dmc@revenue.ie quoting your tracking no's - they are quite good at getting back to you quickly. They will then send you an email asking for proof of purchase like your paypal payment etc. Then they will email you back the amount they want, and will release the goods and you pay the postman upon delivery.
    of you contact them, you'll definitely pay customs on top of your order. it might slip through if you don't contact them. you'd be talking at least 80-90 euro if customs pick it up and they ask for purchase details.

...personally the day of stuff slipping thru' is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

corwill wrote: »
    Are any of the other resellers much better with this sort of issue?

Don't have any experience as its my first faulty phone, but HongKong Goldway seem more interested in customer service. I told them they sent me the wrong charger and they acted like I received an empty box. Chigon Technology can speak proper English and all their phones have a duty free shipping option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

ignore the above advice. stuff still gets through with an post. its very 50/50 though. for 80 euro, I'd be waiting myself.

Lots of conflicting advice on here around customs! Should have researched myself more thoroughly.

I'll wait it out but I'm not very optimistic.

ignore the above advice. stuff still gets through with an post. its very 50/50 though. for 80 euro, I'd be waiting myself.

lol....ignore this advice. So you think that revenue are going to just go "ahhh, grand, sent it on there in the post" without hitting the buyer for duty?? The point is, its no longer with an post, the poster said it gone to customs......

no chance........ by waiting, you'll wait over a week, once they write to you, and you write to them, and they release it, and it arrives etc...... may as well concede defeat, pony up, and you'll have your gadgets by wednesday, not wednesday 2 weeks.

and another thing, by not contacting them , they might send your phones back to china, or even worse, deem them to be counterfeit, and distroy them.

everything has to go through customs, some are not checked. its a known fact that they cannot check each individual parcel. dhl and the likes check every parcel and take the fee on customs behalf.

you have no idea what you're talking about to be honest, I've never heard of anything sent back to China by custom's. it's up to the person themselves, I wouldn't contact customs till they contact you. I've had many things come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

corwill wrote: »
    Only 1gb of RAM and a small battery. For that price, maybe consider one of the Xiaomi Mi3, THL 5000, Voto V5, ZOPO ZP980+, or save a few quid with one of Asus Zenfone 5 (the 2gb/32gb version) or K-Touch nibiru H1. Throw a few more quid on to the price of that Jiayu, and you could get a ZTE Nubia Z7 Mini, with 4g to boot.

Nice one. I'll grab the Z7 mini so.

Who is best to order with in terms of the online shops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Peace wrote: »

My only purchase has been a Mi3 from xiaomishop.com, who obviously aren't much use to you here.

Etotalk are relatively expensive, and I recall someone on here saying they were a pain in the hole about getting to choose their own ROM install for an extra fee.

Mixeshop are cheaper, probably grand, unless they're not, like most of these resellers.

Spix, our resident aliexpress guru, recommends 2 sellers from there a little further up the thread (EDIT - HongKong Goldway and Chigon Technology)

you have no idea what you're talking about to be honest,

I actually do ....where as you are spouting uninformed gibberish.

That's fair enough Midlands. do as you please.

Obviously if you email customs they'll charge you, that's just common sense.
    Everything entering the country goes through customs, only a handful are picked up. this again, is common sense. They simply don't have the resources to check each individual box.

As i've said, I myself, as long with many others here have waited and not contacted customs, and have had our phones sent through.
    don't say its completely impossible when you have no idea. A lot have got through with no extra charges.

Now, Can we get back on topic?

That's fair enough Midlands. do as you please.

Obviously if you email customs they'll charge you, that's just common sense.
    Everything entering the country goes through customs, only a handful are picked up. this again, is common sense. They simply don't have the resources to check each individual box.

As i've said, I myself, as long with many others here have waited and not contacted customs, and have had our phones sent through.
    don't say its completely impossible when you have no idea. A lot have got through with no extra charges.

Now, Can we get back on topic?

no, because you are wrong to be fair, its not right for you to be dishing out incorrect info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Peace wrote: »

Have a look in Merimobiles as well. They do free shipping and have a European Warehouse.

They will root the phone if wanted as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Netherlands Post.

Aristotle mentioned earlier in this thread that there would be no customs charges with Dutch post from mixeshop so I went with them based on that. Fingers crossed.

Anyone on here have a THL 5000? I'm a bit worried about the GPS, mixed accounts about it online 1 review says it's poor and another couple said it was fine. Guess I'll find out.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    I am not sure that that is correct, but hopefully you don't get caught.
    It is. If you go through Dutch Post you won't be hit by customs.
    Lots of conflicting advice on here around customs! Should have researched myself more thoroughly.

I'll wait it out but I'm not very optimistic.

Did you ask Aristotle would he pay it for you??!!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    no, because you are wrong to be fair, its not right for you to be dishing out incorrect info.

how am i wrong?

how am i wrong?

lol......how are you right is the more pertinent question, because you are as far from right as any internet know it all, can be!

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I actually do ....where as you are spouting uninformed gibberish.

Easy guys, didn't mean to start a row :)

I spoke to mixeshop and they said that the package should appear as if it came from Holland there are no hong kong markings on it anywhere. Time will tell I guess.

I'll let you know how I get on to settle the argument...

Cheers Ricky, hopefully you don't get caught for extra charges.

I, And many others have gone through Irish customs without having to pay charges using postage similar to your own.

thats why it was suggested to you. Its not a certainty like you were lead to believe, but it certainly has less of of a chance than with DHL or the likes.

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    Did you ask Aristotle would he pay it for you??!!

Ha, with a name like that I just assumed he was a very wise individual. A cheque would be acceptable though :pac:

The funny thing is I paid 20 quid more for delivery than I would have from aliexpress thinking it was worth it to avoid customs :rolleyes:

Who knows, maybe they will get through. Let's hope no one from customs is reading this...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Barr wrote: »
    Anyone ever sent a phone back to China ? What is the cost in doing this. Surely the postage costs outweight being stuck with a faulty phone.

I sent one back to Chinavaison last year, 9.40 or something registered, took 3 weeks to reach and and 2 months before they confirmed to me the phone was banjaxed (because I couldn't tell like). Took about 3 weeks of discussions before I even got an RMA. Depends on what the phone cost really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

spix wrote: »
    Don't have any experience as its my first faulty phone, but HongKong Goldway seem more interested in customer service. I told them they sent me the wrong charger and they acted like I received an empty box. Chigon Technology can speak proper English and all their phones have a duty free shipping option.

As Etotalk sell the speaker, as an accessory, it suggests that it might not be difficult for a repairer to fit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Can someone confirm what type of battery is in xiaomi redmi note 2 ?

On the official website and other online shops it says lithium-polymer battery but the one I have is Li-Ion.

Also all of the online pics clearly show LI-ION mark

m_4__18_77.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

muffinn wrote: »
    Can someone confirm what type of battery is in xiaomi redmi note 2 ?

On the official website and other online shops it says lithium-polymer battery but the one I have is Li-Ion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_battery

The name "lithium polymer" (LiPo) is more widespread among users of radio-controlled models, where it may indicate a single cell or a battery pack with cells connected in series or parallel. The more general term "lithium-ion" (Li-ion) is used almost everywhere else, including consumer electronics such as mobile phones and notebook computers, and battery electric vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

There is Hongkongeeks, they are generally €15 (approx) more expensive, sometimes not, but they give specific guarantees to refund customs and vat if caught.

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/

I always go for free postage option, they use Sweden Post.....

dhl will scalp you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Hi All
    Anyone have a doogee dg310 voyager2 are they any good and will it work on the O2 network?

Cheers Ricky, hopefully you don't get caught for extra charges.

I, And many others have gone through Irish customs without having to pay charges using postage similar to your own.

thats why it was suggested to you. Its not a certainty like you were lead to believe, but it certainly has less of of a chance than with DHL or the likes.

Not looking good at all, I'm about ready to crack and contact them. Just want the phones at this stage.

I've ordered loads of stuff from another Chinese website called Fasttech and I've never seen customs mentioned on the tracking info. I'd imagine after 4 working days they're holding onto it for a reason i.e. they want their VAT.

Is there a number I can ring or what's the best way to contact them?

12-09-2014 10:28 The item is being processed by customs
    12-09-2014 08:43 The item has been processed in the country of destination
    11-09-2014 15:40 The item has arrived in the country of destination 11-09-2014 06:42 The item is on transport to the country of destination 10-09-2014 23:39 The item is at the PostNL sorting center
    08-09-2014 09:21 The item is pre-advised

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry to jump in here but I have killed my S4, at least the screen including the glass, digitiser and LCD.
    By the time I repair it I'll have spent over €100 and still have a dented phone.
    I am considering spending the money instead on a Moto G but I have to say I am tempted to go the Chinese phone route instead.
    So...
    What should I get for the 170 mark?
    I see tons of clones and phones with half baked OS and poor build quality, is there something fairly safe to be bought at the moment?
    I'd love a phablet at this stage but, of course, want something for nothing, letting me have the crisp clear sharp high def screen I have become accustomed to as well, not to mention something with decent performance, and Kitkat as well, if not in the box then with an update.
    So, what should I be looking at?
    The Elephone P8 mentioned earlier looks tempting.
    Anything else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement