Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here but I have killed my S4, at least the screen including the glass, digitiser and LCD.
    By the time I repair it I'll have spent over €100 and still have a dented phone.
    I am considering spending the money instead on a Moto G but I have to say I am tempted to go the Chinese phone route instead.
    So...
    What should I get for the 170 mark?
    I see tons of clones and phones with half baked OS and poor build quality, is there something fairly safe to be bought at the moment?
    I'd love a phablet at this stage but, of course, want something for nothing, letting me have the crisp clear sharp high def screen I have become accustomed to as well, not to mention something with decent performance, and Kitkat as well, if not in the box then with an update.
    So, what should I be looking at?
    The Elephone P8 mentioned earlier looks tempting.
    Anything else?

The P8 won't work on the Three network. Take a look at the Xiaomi Note.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Discodog wrote: »
    The P8 won't work on the Three network. Take a look at the Xiaomi Note.

Ahhhhhhhh, but that didnt stop you pm'ing me trying to buy mine of me with a low offer ...... he he ...nice try dd, taking advantage.

CiDeRmAn, iv replied to your pm. The elephone doesnt work on 3, but does on all other network, and is a lovely hanset. Guttted i cant keep it to be honest.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhh, but that didnt stop you pm'ing me trying to buy mine of me with a low offer ...... he he ...nice try dd, taking advantage.

CiDeRmAn, iv replied to your pm. The elephone doesnt work on 3, but does on all other network, and is a lovely hanset. Guttted i cant keep it to be honest.

The P8 is available for €140. You asked for €216. You accuse me of taking advantage :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The P8 is available for €140. You asked for €216. You accuse me of taking advantage :pac:
    Well the prices of the phone seems to vary from €140 to €170 or so.

Well the prices of the phone seems to vary from €140 to €170 or so.

Yes which is why I posted €140 ;)

• Advertisement

Yes which is why I posted €140 ;)

Ha... Busted.

And now you try and scupper a potential sale i have with a buyer...you are a classy guy dd ....stay classy.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Ha... Busted.

And bow you try and scupper a potential sale i have with a buyer...youare a classy guy dd ....stay classy.

You chose to mention my PM after I tried to help the poster by advising of the Three issue & suggesting an alternative.

Adverts is the selling site not Boards.

PS You will find that new Chinese phones sell for more on ebay than they cost new.

PPS Sorry Mods for rising to the bait.

You chose to mention my PM after I tried to help the poster by advising of the Three issue & suggesting an alternative.

Adverts is the selling site not Boards.

Dd, not only a classy piece of work, now a backseat modder!?!?! Stay classy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jamescolm

If its a phablet youre after, ie large screen then
    Ulefone U7 could be just what you need.
    Decent spacs coming in at around €170

jamescolm wrote: »
    If its a phablet youre after, ie large screen then
    Ulefone U7 could be just what you need.
    Decent spacs coming in at around €170

7 Inch ! When does a Phablet become a Tabphone :confused: ?

• Advertisement

Wow...Crikey...7 inch is too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Lads take the handbags elsewhere.

Lads take the handbags elsewhere.

You'd need a handbag for a 7 inch phone ! Many years ago a US company produced what they claimed to be the first phone that would fit in a shirt pocket.

They had special shirts made for all their staff, with an enlarged pocket, for publicity. People bought the phone & discovered that it was bigger than they expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Elephone looks good, seems to be mixed reports on build quality, light leakage from screen/buttons, some stuttering app performance.

The Elephone looks good, seems to be mixed reports on build quality, light leakage from screen/buttons, some stuttering app performance.

I still have a suspicion that the issue with Three might be solved in the dual sim settings. From the spec that I saw it should work with Three. The problem with many of the Chinese phones is that it's difficult to find reliable independent review. Also a lot of things are subjective. A previous owner posted here that they thought that the screen was slow/unresponsive. The long youtube review says the complete opposite.

I think a good deal of the problem is that making a sophisticated product like a phone is reliant on many elements working as they should and this is as dependant on quality control at assembly as it is on bug testing the software. A great deal of money is spent on these elements and this is perhaps what accounts for the disparity of price and consistent quality we see between Chinese originated phones and those made by the larger corporations.
    That said, I remember when LG were better known as Lucky Goldstar and made electronics with equally dubious quality control.

I think a good deal of the problem is that making a sophisticated product like a phone is reliant on many elements working as they should and this is as dependant on quality control at assembly as it is on bug testing the software. A great deal of money is spent on these elements and this is perhaps what accounts for the disparity of price and consistent quality we see between Chinese originated phones and those made by the larger corporations.
    That said, I remember when LG were better known as Lucky Goldstar and made electronics with equally dubious quality control.

Virtually every branded, well known, phone has issues of one kind or another. I remember iphones that didn't work & as I was considering a Nexus 5, I discovered that they have unresolved problems too.

The major Chinese manufacturers like ZTE, Huawei, Xiaomi etc want to expand into the West. Most of their phones are excellent quality. I keep edging towards the Mi3 - which has it's own thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Trying to decide on the Redmi Note or Mi3 at the moment. They seem like good value for money. Leaning towards the note, cheaper and bigger screen, it's only 720p but I think I can live with that.

Trying to decide on the Redmi Note or Mi3 at the moment. They seem like good value for money. Leaning towards the note, cheaper and bigger screen, it's only 720p but I think I can live with that.

I am doing the same but I am leaning more towards the Mi3. Hopefully it's price might drop as the Mi4 becomes established.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I am doing the same but I am leaning more towards the Mi3. Hopefully it's price might drop as the Mi4 becomes established.

Has anyone seen any price drops for the mi3, I too am hoping for a drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A 16gb Mi2S still comes to about 230 euro all in, so I wouldn't wait for a massive reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

mi3 had a price drop back in June. can't see there being any more to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

RossieMan wrote: »
    mi3 had a price drop back in June. can't see there being any more to be honest.

More likely to the price of Mi4s through resellers go up a bit once FDD-LTE versions become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

So just received my elephone p8 last night, on first look its seems nice.

Just wondering before I start using it fully, should it be flashed and rooted?
    Has etotalk mod and root capabilities as such (i think, not well up on android rooting)

but just wondering what people here who bought it did?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Use it and see how you get on with it, if you don't need to root it or flash it then leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

So just received my elephone p8 last night, on first look its seems nice.

Just wondering before I start using it fully, should it be flashed and rooted?
    Has etotalk mod and root capabilities as such (i think, not well up on android rooting)

but just wondering what people here who bought it did?

If it has the Etotalk Rom , it is already rooted.

The Etotalk Rom is supposed to be decent so try it out and see if you are happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

This has just come up on Meri Mobiles EUROPEAN warehouse this morning. I think it's great value and guaranteed no customs

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-1s-red-rice-qualcomm-snadragon-cpu-verision-8gb_p/meri8522.htm

Well worth it for a value phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fecks sake where are all the new phones? Seems to have been a total drought for the last 3 months. I need a decent 5.5" 4G phone, are they all waiting until closer to Christmas? Tempted to just grab the Note and use it for a year then sell it on tbh:

http://www.xiaomishop.com/144-xiaomi-redmi-note-4g-lte-martphone.html

Or maybe just go for a OnePlusOne, what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

This has just come up on Meri Mobiles EUROPEAN warehouse this morning. I think it's great value and guaranteed no customs

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-1s-red-rice-qualcomm-snadragon-cpu-verision-8gb_p/meri8522.htm

Well worth it for a value phone.

Is there any mention of the shipping cost ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

eamonnq wrote: »
    Is there any mention of the shipping cost ?

Free Shipping eamonn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement