Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Hi ,
    Just got a G3 , have to say it's a solid phone.
    Seem to be having a slight issue if anyone can please advise.
    The phone was rooted by the provider, some Chinese apps on the phone ( I think three) were on the phone. Uninstalled one, stopped another ( no option to uninstall, disable only) and the third ( looks like superuser icon) which I've currently left.
    The problem is I keep getting notification in Chinese whenever I download a new app which I obviously don't understand. I don't know if this is related to the last Chinese app or not.

Last app looks like Superuser icon, it says version 1.0.2, force stop or disable option only.
    Should I disable it?
    Should I get the English superuser app from the Google Apps store?

Does it matter??

Appreciate any advise.

regards

Good One

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Titanium Backup is good for freezing or uninstalling those apps.

Do you have Google play or Market (Chinese version)? You might need to install GAPPS (Google Apps, think there is a post near start of this thread about it)

Is this the Superuser? It works fine but it might be a good idea to turn off the notification, as it can get annoying.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwOSwiZXUuY2hhaW5maXJlLnN1cGVyc3UiXQ..

Hi,
    Thanks T-bird
    The icon is like this but in blue.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ub3NodWZvdS5hbmRyb2lkLnN1Il0.
    With chinese writing underneath.

Can I just ignore the notifications or how do I turn off the notifications

Regards

Good One

good one wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks T-bird
    The icon is like this but in blue.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ub3NodWZvdS5hbmRyb2lkLnN1Il0.
    With chinese writing underneath.

Can I just ignore the notifications or how do I turn off the notifications

Regards

Good One
    If it were me, I'd install titanium and freeze the Chinese version and install the English. The only thing is,I don't know what features titanium has in the free version.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

So I wanted to buy the G3S and seeing as it's my first android I wanted to mess around with it and root it by myself and install custom ROMs on it etc. But, looking around, I'm finding it hard to find information regarding the G3S specifically.
    Can anyone tell me if I can follow tutorials for the G3? or the G4 because it has the same processor?

Or am I better off getting it rooted by the seller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi ,
    Just got a G3 , have to say it's a solid phone.
    Seem to be having a slight issue if anyone can please advise.
    The phone was rooted by the provider, some Chinese apps on the phone ( I think three) were on the phone. Uninstalled one, stopped another ( no option to uninstall, disable only) and the third ( looks like superuser icon) which I've currently left.
    The problem is I keep getting notification in Chinese whenever I download a new app which I obviously don't understand. I don't know if this is related to the last Chinese app or not.

Last app looks like Superuser icon, it says version 1.0.2, force stop or disable option only.
    Should I disable it?
    Should I get the English superuser app from the Google Apps store?

Does it matter??

Appreciate any advise.

regards

Good One
    Root it, wipe everything, install the Official Jellybean Beta from Needrom, then install the English Superuser. Absolutely no need to leave any chinese on the phone.

So I wanted to buy the G3S and seeing as it's my first android I wanted to mess around with it and root it by myself and install custom ROMs on it etc. But, looking around, I'm finding it hard to find information regarding the G3S specifically.
    Can anyone tell me if I can follow tutorials for the G3? or the G4 because it has the same processor?

Or am I better off getting it rooted by the seller?
    G3S isnt even out yet, you'll need to give it a while, chances are rooting methods for previous phones will work and will be quickly adapted by Jiayu fans on xda-developers and other places but you'll need to give them a while.

I dont think the G3 methods will work as this kind of think is usually processor specific and the G3 is dual core, G3S is quad-core.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Thargor wrote: »
    Root it, wipe everything, install the Official Jellybean Beta from Needrom, then install the English Superuser. Absolutely no need to leave any chinese on the phone.

I was thinking of doing this (FINALLY!!!) but can't get pdanet drivers to work properly. Even after installing the pdanet drivers, reconnecting, usb debugging on, off/on/reset etc etc, it still comes up as an error in Device Manager. Although this might have something to do with the convoluted over-the-top security settings in this work laptop. Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

G3S isnt even out yet

You sure? Look at the comments section there: http://www.merimobiles.com/jiayu-g3s-ips-quad-core-4-5-inch-ips-screen-1280x720-android-4-2-1-dual-sim_p/meri8613.htm
    I dont think the G3 methods will work as this kind of think is usually processor specific and the G3 is dual core, G3S is quad-core.

According to these:
    http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/lightake-com/here-comes-jiayu-g3-4-5-inch-mtk6589-quad-core-android-4-2-smart-phone-4466.html
    http://www.gizchina.com/2013/01/14/jiayu-g4-full-specifications-confirm-2gb-ram-and-13-mega-pixel-camera/
    The G3S and the G4 have the exact same quad-core processor, the MediaTek 1.2Ghz MT6589 quad-core. Is it likely that custom ROMs will be compatible with both?

Ah right, must have been released this week because they were only taking preorders for it last week. Still be weeks or months before anyone has got one who can make and release a custom rom for it though, hopefully someone will find a quick rooting method for it in the meantime.

Its likely if its the same processor that custom roms can be shared between the two but not guaranteed, impossible to know until the people at xda and the other boards have a crack at it. Stock jiayu should be perfectly useable while you wait though if thats whats stopping you ordering.

Always risky going for the first batch of these Chinese phones though, and not pretty trying to arrange returns/replacements either.

• Advertisement

Two things
    1 isn't the phone already rooted?
    2 this is a new quad core g3s or the second edition dual core? do not root install the beta Rom from needrom.

I posted a few times before that the Beta Rom there is only for the 1st dual core.

The rom in the new g3s is the official jellybean Rom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Sold the Lenovo today :( still half tempted to sell the S3 for profit and get a better Lenovo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

Are the phones buy online from these sites all sim free?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ya they are unlocked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I think I'm have some sort of battery issue with my G2+ on 4.1. It was fine for weeks, but it looks like now it's decided to never charge past about 70%, and even getting that far takes all night. Not sure if it's a calibration or a charging issue as it still lasts a full day so I've no idea if the life has shortened.
    Any ideas?

EDIT: I just remembered I ordered a second battery when I got it... that's charging up to 85% and still rising. Would've preferred if it was a software fault that could be fixed, but better than the phone being crocked!
    Also, hope just that first battery was a bad one. 4/5 months isn't great to get a 30%+ drop in total charge, is it?

Try a full drain and full charge a couple of times to recalibrate the battery, I have to do that ever couple of months with my mp3 player.

Sold the Lenovo today :( still half tempted to sell the S3 for profit and get a better Lenovo :pac:

Lenovo k900 looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Lenovo k900 looks good

Hmmm too big but I like the specs alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Try a full drain and full charge a couple of times to recalibrate the battery, I have to do that ever couple of months with my mp3 player.
    Switched back to my old battery and put on some Flash sport to drain the battery ASAP. Then charged to full while off.
    Turned on, 100% battery. Drain seem pretty normal now (about 3% per hour).
    Good advice. Will do this every few months. I guess since the battery easily lasts the full day, I'm charging it at 30-40%, which isn't good for the calibration.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

I was gonna wait for the G4 but its been so long now I was thinking about getting a G3S instead, Is the G3S out properly yet or still in pre sell?

I'm not sure what are the good sites to buy from? any of these?

http://www.pandawill.com/jiayu-g3s-smartphone-mtk6589-quad-core-android-42-45-inch-ips-gorillla-glass-screen-black-p75476.html

http://www.antelife.com/jiayu-g3s-mtk6589-quad-core-android-4-1-3g-dual-core-4-5-qhd-capacitive-touch-screen-smart-phone.html

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/android-phones/2266-45-jiayu-g3s-mtk6589-quad-core-12ghz-dual-sim-3g-android-42-gps-1gb-bluetooth-4gb.html?redirect=true

Is hongkongeek any good? its the cheapest but do they actually pay back the customs cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

I see I'm not the only one asking about where to shop. I started a thread earlier today to try and gather this info in one place.
    No doubt some of you who subscribe to this thread have already bought from China. Please be good enough to add your opinions here...
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056967858/1/#post85005677

Tallaghtmick and Good One have got the ball rolling with positive stories about Merimobiles. Anyone want to recommend anywhere else or let us all know where we should avoid ?
    Cheers
    Shino

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I have purchased twice from Hongkonggeek.

No problems and always replied to queries or questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Looks like Mixeshop have the white Jiayu G4 in stock

http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4-mtk6589-quad-core-47-inch-ips-hd-retina-screen-android-42-1gb-ram-13mp-camera-gyroscope-smartphone_p1943.html

but merimobiles don't. Wondering if there are any cons buying from mixeshop bar the postage ($20 dhl) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Looks like Mixeshop have the white Jiayu G4 in stock

http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4-mtk6589-quad-core-47-inch-ips-hd-retina-screen-android-42-1gb-ram-13mp-camera-gyroscope-smartphone_p1943.html

but merimobiles don't. Wondering if there are any cons buying from mixeshop bar the postage ($20 dhl) ?

bought my lenovo from them last month. no cons at all. you may be caught for customs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Am I missing something here.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the jiayu 3Gs and the G4 except the camera being a 8mp v 12mp and .2" in screen size.
    And of course €50.

http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-g3s-mtk6589-quad-core-45-inch-ips-retina-screen-android-42-3g-gps-wifi-smart-phone_p2432.html

Is the G4 really worth it?

Only getting round to trying out the GPS on the G3......
    It's not picking up anything.
    Anybody know what to do??
    Using Google Navigation

From trawling through the previous threads I havent been able to tell if there is any solution available.

Any help appreciated

thanks

Good One

Only getting round to trying out the GPS on the G3......
    It's not picking up anything.
    Anybody know what to do??
    Using Google Navigation

From trawling through the previous threads I havent been able to tell if there is any solution available.

Any help appreciated

thanks

Good One

post #476 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056851139&page=32
    not tried it, dont use gps

Thanks T-Bird.
    Copped that when I was going through the thread but I was wondering does it work.
    Anybody tired it and it worked?
    Could it do any damage to other apps etc.??

thanks

Good One

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bobby_D

Ordered a jiyau gs2 of mixeshop lastnight aqt around 11 o clock. Had to set up an account to order and all that stuff, anyway i went through the purchasing process and got an order number at the end of it all. Then got an email to say payment had been succesful from paypal and 150 euro had gone through to mixeshop. So i go back to mixeshop go onto my account and see that there is no order present, so i search my order number on the site and it says it doesn exist. So i thought it might take a while to go through and i checked it tonight and now when i try to visit the mixeshop website it gives me a page with just this writing on it

"1194 Table 'whos_online' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
    in:
    [delete from whos_online where time_last_click < '1371070991']"

Anyone any idea whats going on here. I haven't received any emails from them at all with a shipping number or anything like that! Or can any of you even check and see if you can visit the mixeshop website yourself it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance for any help

Bob

• Advertisement

mixeshop down for me too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement