Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

have a google for meteos partition on google. I'll link it up later when I'm on a computer. its a simple app to change the size of the partitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Root it, install link2sd and freeze ele launcher.

The internal partition is for apps, there are different ways to change it depending on the chipset

• Registered Users Posts: 4 binbag92

I have a rooted Elephone p8 on Kitkat with a 64gb sd card. Are you able to save apps to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

binbag92 wrote: »
    I have a rooted Elephone p8 on Kitkat with a 64gb sd card. Are you able to save apps to it?

You can send app data and stuff but a certain amount of the app needs to stay in the internal partition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Quick question.
    This Elephone P8 has 16gb of space, but the storage on the phone is divided into two segments, one, "internal storage" with around 1gb and the other, "phone storage" with the rest.
    Is this simply a partition?
    I just had a message saying the phone's internal storage was full but I know the thing has pots more room, as well as another 16gb on an SD card.

So, is the phone's memory simply partitioned?
    Is it seeing the other 15gb as a virtual SD card?

Any thoughts on this?

Also,
    I seem to be stuck with ELE Launcher, which is simply getting in the way, I have switched to Google Now and at least the front end is more vanilla Android than the madness before, but the ELE Launcher is ticking away there.
    Is there a way, barring a custom rom install, that can rid me of this turbulent launcher?

This is common on alot of Chinese phones. Not sure if it's a virtual partition or if it's different storage altogether. The smaller amount could be faster so to keep costs down some companies split it into different storage. Small amount of faster storage for apps, and cheaper slower storage for photos etc

As others have mentioned there might be a way around it but it's a headache. I always make sure to buy a single partition phone or at least have a decent amount of app space. From screenshots I've seen of the Elephone p6 it should be split 4gb/10gb so having just 1gb is odd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a look with a simple file explorer.
    The bulk of the phones internal memory is marked as a virtual SD card.
    Only 2GB or so is marked as internal.
    I have altered the setting for the installation of apps to the SD card but it's still a pain as a lot of apps still demand to be installed to the internal memory making running out of space a worry.
    I have spotted the Meteos app out there alright, it seems to be for an earlier chipset however but, if it works, it might solve the problem, allowing me to pop that space out into maybe or get rid of the partition altogether, as I have a 16gb SD card in there as well.

On a brighter note, Superuser or, in this case, Kinguser, as allowed me to delete the troublesome ELE Launcher so Google Now is running the show.
    Hopefully this will make everything that bit smoother and easier.

I will watch for a Cyanogenmod for the device in the future, although I am led to believe this may be unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I do love these Chinese phones sometimes. Managed to get the Mi4 into fast boot mode while it was connected to the PC. I menu came up and I chose the option that looked like exit. Started a reflash of the firmware :)

Thank goodness for Dropbox and back ups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

fixxxer wrote: »
    I do love these Chinese phones sometimes. Managed to get the Mi4 into fast boot mode while it was connected to the PC. I menu came up and I chose the option that looked like exit. Started a reflash of the firmware :)

Thank goodness for Dropbox and back ups

Username relevant :P

Any android apps to root a android box?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Vroot ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

For anyone interested in getting a mi3 nows the time. Price increases are on the way as stock becomes limited due to mi4 release. China Unicoms store (where alot of resellers get their xiaomi phones from) have increased the 16gb version from 1499 yuan to 1699 yuan ( 245 -> 275 usd )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

spix wrote: »
    For anyone interested in getting a mi3 nows the time. Price increases are on the way as stock becomes limited due to mi4 release. China Unicoms store (where alot of resellers get their xiaomi phones from) have increased the 16gb version from 1499 yuan to 1699 yuan ( 245 -> 275 usd )

That's hardly going to encourage someone to buy the Mi3 instead of the Mi4 especially with the Oneplus waiting time dropping & the possibility of the Nexus 5 dropping in price.

Vroot ?????

Ill give that a try thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

http://www.oppomart.com/phones.html

Does anyone have any of these phones outside of the normal ones mentioned lhere like the Find and One Plus, particularly the ZTE z7s?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oneplus waiting times for invites are now non-existent, theres a guy giving out invites in the Boards invite thread right now, funny cos the US OPO forum is full of people bitching about the wait to get one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

is the one plus one really worth it, over a SGS5 - like you can buy a SGS5 now for €400 cash on dd or adverts or the likes.....?

I love the look of Samsungs Notes and might have gone for one of them if the OPO hadn't been in the picture but I think there's something about the Galaxies that are so cheap and plastic looking that it turns me right off them, especially for the price, you should not be getting such a plastic looking phone for that money. Unbeatable spec obviously but I just personally don't like them. 5.1" screen instead of 5.5 aswell, again personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Discodog wrote: »
    That's hardly going to encourage someone to buy the Mi3 instead of the Mi4 especially with the Oneplus waiting time dropping & the possibility of the Nexus 5 dropping in price.

Actually, I was looking at one. 16gb is plenty for me, and the price is good. Nexus 5 is currently at least €100 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

MidlandsM wrote: »
    is the one plus one really worth it, over a SGS5 - like you can buy a SGS5 now for €400 cash on dd or adverts or the likes.....?

and watch out for fake S5 !!

http://www.adverts.ie/phone-fax/samsung-galaxy-s5/6461215

You'll regret going for the 16 GB OnePlus, if you can even get one, I think only 64 GB is in production at the minute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thargor wrote: »
    You'll regret going for the 16 GB OnePlus, if you can even get one, I think only 64 GB is in production at the minute...

Me? sorry, I meant the Mi3.

Me? sorry, I meant the Mi3.
    Ah right, as long as the SD slot is there.

By the way have a look in Boots for your micro-SD cards, saw some seriously good prices in their half price sale yesterday.

Cant wait to have 64GB internal on my OPO though, was sick of messing around with Apps2SD and other stuff like that, pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

eurokev wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know if the jiayu G4s works in ireland on the meteor network. I think i will get one if it does unless anybody has any suggestions for a better phone for around the same money:):):):)

I got one from pandawill recently (the 2gb/16gb version). Two other members of the extended family followed suit. Came in at approx €150 and happily missed customs (as did the other two). As it's dual sim, I'm using it on Tesco (roaming on O2) and on Meteor with no problems.

Unlike my previous B92M and G4 quad core, I haven't bothered changing the stock firmware as it works well enough. It already allows rooting through security settings and using mobileuncle you can easily remove any chineses apps.

I'm using a sandisk 64gb sd card with no issues.

Bumski wrote: »
    I got one from pandawill recently (the 2gb/16gb version). Two other members of the extended family followed suit. Came in at approx €150 and happily missed customs (as did the other two). As it's dual sim, I'm using it on Tesco (roaming on O2) and on Meteor with no problems.

Unlike my previous B92M and G4 quad core, I haven't bothered changing the stock firmware as it works well enough. It already allows rooting through security settings and using mobileuncle you can easily remove any chineses apps.

I'm using a sandisk 64gb sd card with no issues.

But MidlandsM clearly said you can't avoid customs anymore. :rolleyes:
    have been very interested in getting a G4S. Are there decent case available for it?

RossieMan wrote: »
    have been very interested in getting a G4S. Are there decent case available for it?

ha ....lame, very lame.

but yes, ... and you advocating the evasion of import dutes is against the charter...like all tax avoidance tips.

ha ....lame, very lame.

but yes, the day is over... and you advocating the evasion of import dutes is against the charter...like all tax avoidance tips.

Where have I said anything about avoiding it? I've simply said you don't always get caught.

Also, back seat modding is against the charter.

Where have I said anything about avoiding it? I've simply said you don't always get caught.

Also, back seat modding is against the charter.

I'm not back seat modding, if I was I would recommend you be banned, but I'd never suggest such and such a thing, as a thing like that there now, would be a travesty! ;)

I suppose the next load of old tosh you'll say now that its not tax evasion, its tax avoidance?blah blah blah, yaya rossie yadda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

And we're off.............

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ha ....lame, very lame.

but yes, ... and you advocating the evasion of import dutes is against the charter...like all tax avoidance tips.

Pots & kettles. You posted that you had ordered a phone & were hoping to avoid customs.

You then posted to complain that customs had done their job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

I didn't want to get involved in that particular customs debate! All I know is that three of them arrived fairly recently (the last one arrived about 3 weeks ago) and Customs did not contact us.

I didn't get any case with mine but pandawill supplied one of the others with a basic silicon case FOC. I don't use cases which just make the phone more bulky in my pocket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement