Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

RossieMan wrote: »
    head into any tesco and "borrow" one of their sim packs. They've adapters built in.

Got a note from the shippers saying not to use an adapter it will void any warranty as they damage the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Got a note from the shippers saying not to use an adapter it will void any warranty as they damage the phones.

I got one from a Vodafone shop and it's been fine in my Mi3, but if you have the patience you're probably better off waiting.

corwill wrote: »
    I got one from a Vodafone shop and it's been fine in my Mi3, but if you have the patience you're probably better off waiting.

Think ill head up tomorrow if not ill try Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

The combi sims will work fine. They're not a standard adapter, the micro sim kind of clicks into place so it's not going to fall out.

The trouble with cheap adapters is the sim could fall out while removing it, then the adapter catches the pins. You can avoid this with the mi3 by making sure the phone is down flat with screen facing up while opening the sim slot, the tray has a backing so its not going anywhere. Also the sellers are probably just trying to cover themselves for those who leave the empty adapter in the sim tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭irishbrain

Hi all,

I'm looking to spend between €80-€120 on a phone that will comfortably 'do the job' when it comes to reading news and using twitter. I'd also like a big enough screen so that my fingers can type comfortably. I'm not bothered about the camera etc.

My problem is I don't have a clue where to start. Any suggestions for a good value phone from China?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

irishbrain wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to spend between €80-€120 on a phone that will comfortably 'do the job' when it comes to reading news and using twitter. I'd also like a big enough screen so that my fingers can type comfortably. I'm not bothered about the camera etc.

My problem is I don't have a clue where to start. Any suggestions for a good value phone from China?

Thanks.

Is 5" big enough or prefer 5.5" / 6" ?

spix wrote: »
    Is 5" big enough or prefer 5.5" / 6" ?

5" is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chivral

I think I'm going to go for the Xiaomi Hongmi 1S that Digital Solitude recommended but I have a few questions that I was hoping anyone could answer for me.
    1)I heard about overheating issues, think it'll still be there if I buy a new phone since I read that it's been fixed
    2)Do I HAVE to root a phone? Or will it be ok to just use it normally?
    3)Anyone ever used Xiaomishop before? What were they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Chivral wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go for the Xiaomi Hongmi 1S that Digital Solitude recommended but I have a few questions that I was hoping anyone could answer for me.
    1)I heard about overheating issues, think it'll still be there if I buy a new phone since I read that it's been fixed
    2)Do I HAVE to root a phone? Or will it be ok to just use it normally?
    3)Anyone ever used Xiaomishop before? What were they like?

You don't have to root the phone no, rooting gives you full 100% access to change literally anything! But its unnecessary if you don't have a specific thing to do

Several people on here have used Xiaomishop, I believe they had 2-3 days delivery times, all were pleased as far as I know

Don't know anything about overheating unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AliExpress

I will preface this by saying that I do represent AliExpress, however I do not represent the vendor. While I do want people to use AliExpress I would rather people were cautious and took all necessary steps to make an informed decision before making a purchase.

That being said, I think you would be waaay better off cancelling and making the purchase on November 11th. I think that would be such a good idea that if you send me a message via our AliExpress UK Facebook page I would give you a discount of $20 if you buy on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I messaged one of the big phone stores on Aliexpress about the 11th Nov and he said he will have 10 One Plus Ones for 50% discount, i hope the sellers have more stock than this typically otherwise it will be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Its a typical aliexpress sale. A load of bollocks.

They always do these "insane" sales and only have a couple actually at the special price.

Same happened the last time they had a sale.

I think so too for the most part, although it was something like 30% bigger than the cyber Monday US sales last year so there must be at least a small chance of getting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Chivral wrote:
    I think I'm going to go for the Xiaomi Hongmi 1S that Digital Solitude recommended but I have a few questions that I was hoping anyone could answer for me. 1)I heard about overheating issues, think it'll still be there if I buy a new phone since I read that it's been fixed 2)Do I HAVE to root a phone? Or will it be ok to just use it normally? 3)Anyone ever used Xiaomishop before? What were they like?

I've used xiaomishop and sampled with their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

*pleased even

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

The gun is cocked - I've made an offer on an Elephone P8 from a seller on ebay in China/HK.

If and when I get the phone I'll post up a review on the young lad's youtube channel.

AliExpress wrote: »
    I will preface this by saying that I do represent AliExpress, however I do not represent the vendor. While I do want people to use AliExpress I would rather people were cautious and took all necessary steps to make an informed decision before making a purchase.

That being said, I think you would be waaay better off cancelling and making the purchase on November 11th. I think that would be such a good idea that if you send me a message via our AliExpress UK Facebook page I would give you a discount of $20 if you buy on that day.

Hi Spix :p

Hi Spix :p

haha, not me :o

But speaking of aliexpress...I think some people are a bit hard on their sales. You can't expect them to give away hundreds of expensive phones for half price. 10 is better than none. I never bother trying to get them as my internet is too slow.

It's definitely worth trying to get the coupons though. Already got a $15 off $99 coupon for this sale and in a few days you can buy some, for example pay $20 for a $50 coupon, $100 for $150 and so on.

November 11th isn't a load of Bollux. Yesterday was the promotional "game" where you would press a like button under an item you were interested in. You can get a Xiaomi4 for €150 but you'll need to press the "Alert me when available" button underneath it. The vendor will only have so many — the "game" was to be able to guage how many people would buy it.

I am not spix. I work for AliExpress marketing. I'll tell you anything you want to know about AliExpress — how to get stuff how to haggle with vendors — where's the best place to get kebabs near the office. I have coupons and things.

You also play the press the parcel game to win coins which can be swapped for coupons :pac:

I missed that coupon on the 99 dollar purchase though

• Advertisement

I'm not coming here to be a shill. PM me if you want discounts and whatnot. Or Indian food in Hangzhou.

Can you tell us what sellers are decent with their sales stock then?

You also play the press the parcel game to win coins which can be swapped for coupons :pac:

I missed that coupon on the 99 dollar purchase though

If you download the mobile app you can shake your phone for some coins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Barr

AliExpress wrote: »
    November 11th isn't a load of Bollux. Yesterday was the promotional "game" where you would press a like button under an item you were interested in. You can get a Xiaomi4 for €150 but you'll need to press the "Alert me when available" button underneath it. The vendor will only have so many — the "game" was to be able to guage how many people would buy it.

I am not spix. I work for AliExpress marketing. I'll tell you anything you want to know about AliExpress — how to get stuff how to haggle with vendors — where's the best place to get kebabs near the office. I have coupons and things.

I am interested in a Nubia Z7 or Honor 6 , which sellers would you recommend?

What exactly is happening on Nov 11th btw ? It is lost on me.

Barr wrote: »
    I am interested in a Nubia Z7 or Honor 6 , which sellers would you recommend?

What exactly is happening on Nov 11th btw ? It is lost on me.

http://activities.aliexpress.com/1111_shopping_festival.php http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singles_Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Anybody heard of the Elephone G4? http://www.1949deal.com/elephone-g4-mtk6582-quad-core-1-3ghz-android-4-4-smartphone-1gb-ram-4gb-rom-5-0-inch-hd-ips-screen-3g-black.html)

Quad core, 1GB ram, 720p screen, decent camera for under $100.

Main drawback would be the sub par battery and the uncertainty around GPS reliability. And of course the 4GB internal storage.

Thinking of buying it, just looking for some opinions.

Hi all,

Thanks.

Any suggestion would be appreciated, any at all!

Any suggestion would be appreciated, any at all!

Better of checking adverts for a bargain, for the money you want to spend the stuff from China would be terrible, check www.chinavasion.com for cheap phones.

a Moto E would be decent enough for you.

With that budget i'd say well clear of anything 5 inch, screen would be awful.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    a Moto E would be decent enough for you.

With that budget i'd say well clear of anything 5 inch, screen would be awful.

He said up to 120 euro not 120 dollars. Plenty of decent 5" phones in that price range.

Will post some later... there is so many options though :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement