Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Interesting find especially the price

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Interesting find especially the price

Its the free shipping that is lowering the price. estimated shipping is 7-15 days which i can live with for free. Tracking and insurance is also included in that price.

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Its the free shipping that is lowering the price. estimated shipping is 7-15 days which i can live with for free. Tracking and insurance is also included in that price.

Only thing that puts me off is that its not really a better known brand like the Jiayu,Lenovo,ZTE etc I get paid Friday and doubt ill be waiting around for a review :p really hope it works out for ye!

Seen a vid for the phone I linked the antutu score was less than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Only thing that puts me off is that its not really a better known brand like the Jiayu,Lenovo,ZTE etc I get paid Friday and doubt ill be waiting around for a review :p really hope it works out for ye!

Seen a vid for the phone I linked the antutu score was less than yours.

ya i will post up the antutu score when i get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

This phone looks to have similar specs to the Jiayu G4 but for much cheaper.

I was just about to place the order there but chickened out. My latest concern is where your main source of data comes from, considering it is a very obscure phone. Will it be much more difficult to get stuff on it compared to your typical Samsung or iPhone on a normal Irish network?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Has anyone had to replace a screen on these Chinese phones?

Just broke the screen on my star b93m.

Should it be straight forward enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ask in all the Chinese/Pakistani phone shops around Aldi up the top of O Connells Street, I dont see any replacement screens for sale to do it yourself but one of them might be able to help you, these phones are usually made from off the shelf parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/06/19/spemall-offering-jiayu-g4-discount-to-gizchina-readers/

Might be of interest to anyone thinking about getting the 1GB RAM/4GB ROM version of the G4.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/06/19/spemall-offering-jiayu-g4-discount-to-gizchina-readers/

Might be of interest to anyone thinking about getting the 1GB RAM/4GB ROM version of the G4.

Ordered a G4 using that discount earlier, cost about 178 for the phone + 18 for DHL delivery.

I had ordered the UMI X2 from Pandawill three and a half weeks ago, but it still wasnt shipped out on Monday so I cancelled the order.

Hopefully Spellman get it shipped out quickly. The review on Gizchina looks promising, and it could be a long while waiting for the upgraded G4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I've my eyes set on the jiayu g3s.

208usd including a silicon case and DHL delivery from a seller on Aliexpress.

Will get a class 10 SD card from amazon to be sure its legit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've my eyes set on the jiayu g3s.

208usd including a silicon case and DHL delivery from a seller on Aliexpress.

Will get a class 10 SD card from amazon to be sure its legit!

Thagor sent this to me last week when I asked the same about the 3GS

"From available information, no it doesnt seem to be that much different, dont forget the better camera aswell though, the camera on the G3 is only average, see this test I did a while ago on my G3:

http://imgur.com/a/LdY0j

And its the same one in the 3GS, perfectly functional but definitely not for someone into photography, the G4 seems to have a very good one:

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/05/14/j...mera-shootout/

I think I would splash the extra €50 to get the best screen I can to be honest:

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/01/30/j...en-comparison/

Its all about the screen with these phones and there is a clear difference in that comparison, as for battery life and all that though its impossible to know yet without all the reviews, If I was in your shoes Id just go for the G4 and not be left wondering what if? As Ive said though Im perfectly happy with my G3 for another year or 2 and thats just dual core so I doubt you'll be disappointed whatever you do.

Dont forget about GPS either, its sh1te on the G3 and will probably be the same on the G3S, there are apps that fix that though and make it perfectly functional for navigation (takes ages to find the satellites without the apps, perfect once it connects), this video of the G4 is all I could find and its in Chinese but seens to connect to the sats nice and fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3kMte_sV90"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Made my first order on merimobiles a few days ago, been on waiting fulfilment since, normal that they take a couple days to even get it out the door?

Yep.

I'm in a bit of a quandary guys and would appreciate any advice/insight which more experienced folks might have.

I may have to go abroad for work for about 12 months in the next while and I want to get a good dual-sim Android phone (how I came across this thread in the first place). Initially I'd considered getting a G4 Advance/Turbo but the more I look around it seems like there's a wave of new quadcore/2GB/1080p phones being released over the next while for not a lot more money, now I'm wondering if I'd be better off holding off for a while and waiting to see how they review in the market. Budget would be about €250.

Rooting/flashing ROMs is something I'm happy to do as well, and ideally I'd like a phone that'll receive relatively long-term ROM support (doesn't have to be official, something like XDA is fine).

Cheers for any help.

You're asking for a lot with long term ROM support on any of these phones tbh, maybe Lenovo or one of the more mainstream brands, then again sometimes the amateur community seizes on a random phone and it gets great support that way.

Its nearly impossible to know whats coming and when with Chinese unbranded stuff anyway, just got to keep an eye on the shops themselves and look for reviews in places like this.

Fair enough, I think I'll hold off and see how things pan out then, no sense buying blind at the start of a wave and then getting bitten.

Then again its the same as waiting to upgrade your graphics card, something better is always just about to be released.

Yeah it's a balancing game between what you need and when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

I have this problem on my Jiayu G3 screen however it isnt quite as bad as the guy in the video, as shown here its only in the top left of the screen. anyone have suggestions or know where I could possibly get it repaired? dont want to send it back to china as it will take ages if I can help it.

Looks like moisture got in there, try all the phone shops around Aldi up the top of O Connells street if you're in Dublin as I said before, they should fix it, get a quote first though in case the part is as much as the phone.

• Advertisement

Well after the disaster that was the Galaxy S3 I have ordered this...
    http://www.merimobiles.com/lenovo-a830-android4-2-quad-core-1-2ghz-5-0-inch-qhd-540-960-3g-wcdma-8-0mp_p/meri7433.htm

Im using the Huawei G510 now which I got from Vodafone as a trade in for my bogey S3 its an ok phone but its only dual core and has ram of 512 which leaves it a tad laggy, so had to go and order this bad boy:D looked at a few phones but wanted the larger screen for a good price and the fact I had a Lenovo before meant it was a no brainer.As usual I will review when I get it :)

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks like moisture got in there, try all the phone shops around Aldi up the top of O Connells street if you're in Dublin as I said before, they should fix it, get a quote first though in case the part is as much as the phone.

Not sure if it was moisture to be honest as it happened in the first week I got it, had the phone tilted on it's side playing a game and then the screen just ran like that. I even had it disappear for a day inbetween this and then it came back.

What happens if you tap it on that side against a table with the screen on and working (play a full screen video or something)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

There are a few posts now on other forums regarding the screen, might be a batch design fault.

Thargor wrote: »
    What happens if you tap it on that side against a table with the screen on and working (play a full screen video or something)?

Doesn't make any real difference to it being honest, slightly worse for a few seconds when I gave it a hardish tap but it went back to normal after a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Well after the disaster that was the Galaxy S3 I have ordered this...
    http://www.merimobiles.com/lenovo-a830-android4-2-quad-core-1-2ghz-5-0-inch-qhd-540-960-3g-wcdma-8-0mp_p/meri7433.htm

Im using the Huawei G510 now which I got from Vodafone as a trade in for my bogey S3 its an ok phone but its only dual core and has ram of 512 which leaves it a tad laggy, so had to go and order this bad boy:D looked at a few phones but wanted the larger screen for a good price and the fact I had a Lenovo before meant it was a no brainer.As usual I will review when I get it :)

I also could be on that boat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Jiayu G4 turbo shipping early July,
    Don't get excited though its not the 2gb ram advanced version everybody is waiting for, just the 1.2Ghz version has been upgraded to 1.5Ghz with an 1850mAh battery

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/06/24/jiayu-g4-turbo-will-begin-shipping-early-july/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Finally got around to replacing the screen on a G2. It wasn't as difficult as I expected. My only mistake is a tiny air bubble between the lcd and the screen. But I can live with that.
    It won't power on but I'm hoping that's because the battery has not been charged for a few months. The phone was not working at all because of the cracks so if it doesn't work I've lost nothing except the cost of the replacement screen.

As for my UMI X1. I sent that back to China to get it fixed but no sign of it 5 months later! According to tracking it has not moved since March 22'nd. Reckon I'll never see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

Nice one, may I ask where you got the screen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Bought the screen from Aliexpress, lots of sellers. That was the easiest part.

I have some photos if anybody needs help doing the same job.

There is one connector that is difficult to get off and then back on see attached photo. You need 3 hands and a small flat head scree driver.

But if you take your time it is doable job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement