Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 topaz1978

Looks like a great deal, thanks for posting link. How do you get them to send it by snail mail instead of DHL or those express types? Tks:)

Re: the zopo phone from pandawill, 5.5 in screen with gorilla glass for $299.

Looks like a great deal, thanks for posting link. How do you get them to send it by snail mail instead of DHL or those express types? Tks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

RossieMan wrote: »
    i wouldn't go near parcel motel with an order that has even the smallest possibility of customs. They won't accept it.

That's what i thought but i e-mailed parcel motel and they advised that they will inform you of any customs charges and once they are paid they will accept the phone. That's why i used them as it should be quicker posting to the UK ad hopefully less chance of getting caught by customs but that's in the lap of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

That's what i thought but i e-mailed parcel motel and they advised that they will inform you of any customs charges and once they are paid they will accept the phone.

Are you sure ??!!

From the FAQs on their website:
    What happens if there is VAT and/or Duty due on my item?

Please ensure that any charges payable are paid in advance of delivery. Parcel Motel will not accept responsibility for payment of any VAT or Duty charges due on items delivered. If the postal operator or courier asks for cash on delivery, your item will be refused by us.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Are you sure ??!!

The exact wording from their e-mail

"We will not accept anything with duty owed. We will notify you of the charges and you can clear them with the mail company that is holding the parcel. They will then deliver the parcel into us"

Assuming that there is no problem in paying the "mailing company" direct it should be ok.

• Advertisement

Lads, where have you's been hiding:) I posted about this phone on the 10th and only webels took any interest in it.

It really is great spec for the price and i tried to buy it(pre-order) from tinydeal in the link above.

I made the "mistake" of trying to get it sent to parcel motel as their system wouldn't alow it to be shipped to the UK as they picked up i was ordering on an Irish IP address(madness).

Anyway, decided to use a UK proxy to put the order through and it "seemed" to be ok. This must have triggered something on their system(wonder why:)) and they sent me a e-mail a few days ago looking for a scan of my card, to sign an authorization form and send them a scan of my passport and a utility bill. NOT A CHANCE THEY WERE GETTING THAT so that order was cancelled.

So i guess i'm blacklisted on their site but the deal is still on to pre-order the 16GB and get the 32G for the same price so €240 for the 32Gb version delivered(albeit by snail mail with the chance of customs catching it) is an absolute steal.

Rant over:D

If I want to order this phone, how do I get them to send it to Ireland by snail mail instead of express or DHL? Is the seller reliable also? Tks:)

topaz1978 wrote: »
    Re: the zopo phone from pandawill, 5.5 in screen with gorilla glass for $299.

Can't speak for pandawill but why wouldn't you order it from tinydeal
    http://www.tinydeal.com/zopo-zp999-55-ltps-fhd-mtk6595m-android-44-8-core-4g-phone-p-139947.html

32GB version for the same price of the 16GB if they deliver on their promise.

I really shouldn't be promoting this crowd as they shafted me but i'm sure it should be fine if you order to your address. When ordering just choose NL Post(strangely seems to 0.40c to Ireland but free to UK:confused:).

As a side issue, has anybody used tinydeal before and how did they find them. I would be sceptical(no idea how to spell that) of them delivering on their "free" upgrade.

re: zopo zp999

found same phone on banggood.com for 32gb at 246eur, would this be reliable? I'm not allowed post a link on this cos I'm newb, but don't know if that would be a legit deal, I've never shopped online for a chinese phone, only checking into all this last couple days cos can't afford the nice samsungs etc.

re: zopo zp999

found same phone on banggood.com for 32gb at 246eur, would this be reliable? I'm not allowed post a link on this cos I'm newb, but don't know if that would be a legit deal, I've never shopped online for a chinese phone, only checking into all this last couple days cos can't afford the nice samsungs etc.

I just happened to be on that site. That's the 16GB for €246. 32GB is €328.

I just happened to be on that site. That's the 16GB for €246. 32GB is €328.

Got confused sorry, thought 3GB ram only came with 32GB and not 16GB.

• Advertisement

Got confused sorry, thought 3GB ram only came with 32GB and not 16GB.

Easy to get confused as i think there was a chinese only version of this phone with 2GB ram and 16GB and tinydeal haven't corrected their description where they offer the "free" upgrade from 2GB ram and 16GB to 3GB ram and 32GB.

32GB version is now known as "Lion Heart" and the 16GB version the 3X.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

So tinydeal offers the best deal for the zoppo 3x which is in fact the lion heart version if you preorder. Has anyone bought from them?? Are they ok to deal with? They only offer a 6 month warranty on phones....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

if you're buying from China don't worry about warranty, its more trouble than its worth sending them back.

But does that mean if it breaks or something goes wrong you just go to a phone repair shop in town in the hopes that they can repair it? Are those guys normally able?

But does that mean if it breaks or something goes wrong you just go to a phone repair shop in town in the hopes that they can repair it? Are those guys normally able?

its one of the major risks when buying. Thats why its not for everyone.

Screen replacement can be a disaster to sort out, most shops won't even look at them for you. Sourcing parts is a completely different and much harder challenge.

If you break things, dont buy.

its one of the major risks when buying. Thats why its not for everyone.

Screen replacement can be a disaster to sort out, most shops won't even look at them for you. Sourcing parts is a completely different and much harder challenge.

If you break things, dont buy.

Right, gotcha! I don't break things but just thinking that it could arrive broken or damaged or just become faulty through regular usage. My samsung fame has done nothing but give me trouble. Speakers broke down, phone shuts down by itself at times, software has gone all laggy. But seems people on here buy phones from China and are happy enough. My little fame just isn't powerful enough that's what's wrong.

It depends on your budget really. I wouldn't buy cheap, they seem to give nothing but problems.

you can send them back, don't get me wrong, but its a lot of trouble. and it's very costly.
    Time is a big issue too, can take 2-3 months for it to come back.

I'm not trying to turn you off buying chinese, im all for it. Just be aware of the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Something like a Xiaomi or ZOPO for example, or even a Huawei not sold here is pretty good bet, you'd find someone to fix it if you really wanted. The majority won't just break from day to day use anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Easy to get confused as i think there was a chinese only version of this phone with 2GB ram and 16GB and tinydeal haven't corrected their description where they offer the "free" upgrade from 2GB ram and 16GB to 3GB ram and 32GB.

32GB version is now known as "Lion Heart" and the 16GB version the 3X.

Thanks for reminding me of this, unfortunately I haven't got the funds at the moment to purchase. The main advantage I see with this phone is 4g for both meteor bands. Something I haven't seen as yet with any Chinese phone. I was hoping you would be our guinea pig but that didn't work so well unfortunately. If there was anything I would like a little better on this phone it would be the battery but saying that its not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It depends on your budget really. I wouldn't buy cheap, they seem to give nothing but problems.

you can send them back, don't get me wrong, but its a lot of trouble. and it's very costly.
    Time is a big issue too, can take 2-3 months for it to come back.

I'm not trying to turn you off buying chinese, im all for it. Just be aware of the risks.

I left my xiaomi into Wizz in Moore street today for a screen replacement.

I got the screen from Xiaomi in china.

They examined the screen and were impressed with the quality. I assume they've seen poor quality stuff come in,
    Ive to collect tomorrow so I'll let you know how it went.

• Advertisement

theduffer wrote: »
    Ya id be happy enough to get the 16gb version. Do zoposhop have it in the eu warehouse? from what i have seen it doesnt appear to be in the eu warehouse. Tatranska did zoposhop tell you that 16gb version would be in their eu warehouse next month?

Its allowing presale purchase and ship from EU in the shipping page. They told me they expect them to be there next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chivral

Looks like the UMI zero has a confirmed price drop to 200 doolahs, seems like an awesome price for its spec. Now to decide on if I can wait for it to be released and take a risk and get it or get something safer from Amazon like the Honor 6...

Chivral wrote: »
    Looks like the UMI zero has a confirmed price drop to 200 doolahs, seems like an awesome price for its spec. Now to decide on if I can wait for it to be released and take a risk and get it or get something safer from Amazon like the Honor 6...

Linky please

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

anybody any suggestions to get Goophone i6 Past customs in got letter today notice of detention that goods suspected of infringing an intellectual property right ?? and saying goods will be destroyed if I more or less don't provide information Documentation to prove that an intellectual property right has not been infringed ?

customs note : IPR infringing goods include counterfeit or pirated goods and goods which infringe registered designs or patents "

any help :confused:

Can't link but it's somewhere on gizchina, are they ok for a source?

afro man wrote: »
    anybody any suggestions to get Goophone i6 Past customs in got letter today notice of detention that goods suspected of infringing an intellectual property right ?? and saying goods will be destroyed if I more or less don't provide information Documentation to prove that an intellectual property right has not been infringed ?

customs note : IPR infringing goods include counterfeit or pirated goods and goods which infringe registered designs or patents "

Unfortunately that is the risk with buying 'lookalike' phones, if it looks like an Iphone 6, then the chances are it will be destroyed.

Looks like you are in trouble.
    http://www.phonecruncher.com/features/2548556/goophone_i6_meet_the_androidpowered_iphone_6_copycat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

afro man wrote: »

The Goophone I6 predates the IPhone 6. That is it has been on sale since 1st August which is before the IPhone 6 was released. So you could try that. Goophone even threatened to sue Apple over the IPhone 5 similar case as far as I remember. Worth a try

Went back to check the place, apparently their "source" was some Chinese website selling it at that price, but from what I've seen most places seem to be selling the UMI zero at around 200 dollars.

• Advertisement

jaysus i dont see how you'll convince customs, its so obvious its a clone.

I wish you the best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement