Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Ok lads, i'm back with news of our friend the zopo. I found the 32GB version for just €241 on 1949deal but was a bit wary of using them so I sent coolicool and gearbest a price match request. Low and behold gearbest got back to me and they have price matched.

Bargain and a half

http://www.gearbest.com/zopo-zp999-_gear/

This looks like the phone I have been looking for. Dual sim, takes sd card, removable battery. Has both of Meteors 4g bands 1800 and 800 MHZ. GPS is my only concern as the Zopo 998 had serious issues. Looking at XDA the MTK MT6595M may have GPS issues sorted. If good GPS is confirmed and €241 is possible I'm in. The lack of an 800MHZ band was the only thing stopping me getting an Honor 6. The battery in this is 2700mAh it would be great if it was >3000mAh but that wouldnt be a show-stopper. Now to go looking from more reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

webels wrote: »
    This looks like the phone I have been looking for. Dual sim, takes sd card, removable battery. Has both of Meteors 4g bands 1800 and 800 MHZ. GPS is my only concern as the Zopo 998 had serious issues. Looking at XDA the MTK MT6595M may have GPS issues sorted. If good GPS is confirmed and €241 is possible I'm in. The lack of an 800MHZ band was the only thing stopping me getting an Honor 6. The battery in this is 2700mAh it would be great if it was >3000mAh but that wouldnt be a show-stopper. Now to go looking from more reviews.

Don't know if it helps but the mtk 6592 GPS on my elephone p8 works fine, hot fix in as much time as it takes to put the phone in the holder in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Welcome back webels:)

Agree with everything above, a bigger battery would be a bonus and gps seems to be ok. For me the extra 16GB makes a difference and €241 is a bargain. I found a discount code for them and thought i'd be cheeky and try it but it wouldn't accept it on special deals or whatever. I'll wait till tomorrow to order this and see what black friday brings. Will be a big step up size wise from from my nexus 4 and don't understand why phone screens don't stop at 5" but anyway.

To be honest if i was looking at an honor 6 I think i'd prefer a oneplus one for a little extra but obviously both don't have the 800 band .

Welcome back webels:)

Agree with everything above, a bigger battery would be a bonus and gps seems to be ok. For me the extra 16GB makes a difference and €241 is a bargain. I found a discount code for them and thought i'd be cheeky and try it but it wouldn't accept it on special deals or whatever. I'll wait till tomorrow to order this and see what black friday brings. Will be a big step up size wise from from my nexus 4 and don't understand why phone screens don't stop at 5" but anyway.

To be honest if i was looking at an honor 6 I think i'd prefer a oneplus one for a little extra but obviously both don't have the 800 band .

Funny enough I would have preferred a 5" also as I still think 5.5 is too big for the pocket. Great find and thank you for reminding me of this phone, I remember seeing it on xda a month ago but didnt read the spec fully. The newer MTK chips seem to have sorted GPS issues so all looking good there.
    For people on Three Vodafone and Meteor this phone should cover 4g across the board.

Did you just chance your arm on with gearbest livechat asking them to match the 1949deal price?

Did you just chance your arm on with gearbest livechat asking them to match the 1949deal price?

No, doubt I would have got far on livechat with that. Found some section to fill in a brief form showing the link from alternative site and they emailed me back 2 days later(this morning) accepting it.

I emailed coolicool at the same time and heard nothing from them. They would have been handier as already had an account with them and just received a phone from them yesterday sent to parcel motel for my mother. Less than 2 weeks from dispatch to sitting in my locker sent through Dutch post. Very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was given a code in the email that should drop it back to €241. On the phone now so don't have it handy but they did say to share it so of course I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

An update on the ongoing saga: I emailed Mixeshop again saying that I couldn't send the phone with a battery so they asked me to send one without it. After you guys responded to my post and made me see sense, I told them that I'd send the phone to yer man in the Maldives if they wanted but they could send me a new one.

So I took apart the Zenphone there and realized that you can't even remove their battery. And here was Mixeshop telling me that they'd send the Maldives guy a new one. I know they can't know everything about every phone they sell but jaysus, I'm starting to imagine the place as a Chinese Fawlty Towers.

I was given a code in the email that should drop it back to €241. On the phone now so don't have it handy but they did say to share it so of course I will.
    Share when you have a chance. I'm probably going to go with it next day or so.

Managed to pick up this phone for €150 recently (no vat or duty on it).

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6325537131.html

Came yesterday. Really really good phone but i should have had the software unrooted before they posted it out because there was a lot of crap pre loaded onto it.

I downloaded the titan root kit to get rid of all the preloaded crapware that was on it. Phone seems to be working fine. Installed the Google Home launcher which runs nicely but I notice that attempting to uninstall the old fashioned way causes a crash error ( 'Unfortunately Google Search has stopped' ) and if i try uninstall software by entering via 'App info' it causes Settings to crash. Could be something got to do with deleting the original lenovo launcher that came with the phone?

Other than that things are working fine and i love the phone. Its fast, has a decent camera and does what i need it to do.

• Advertisement

Can we have the code please or I will have to report you to my imaginary friend in customs and have him confiscate your phone for me to use :)

Share when you have a chance. I'm probably going to go with it next day or so.
    Can we have the code please or I will have to report you to my imaginary friend in customs and have him confiscate your phone for me to use :)

Patience guys, good things come to those who wait:D

OK I didn't see anything of note on the chinese sites today so i went to order this.

Now there is good news and bad news. Unfortunately this phone is now on back order so who knows when they will get it back in stock. Live chat is offline so if you are in a hurry maybe risk ordering it from 1949deal.

Now for the good news. The code is ZPZZ and it works. Was amazed to see the price change to 221e:). You have to pay by paypal and the order can only be paid in dollars so with paypals dodgy conversion rate and your bank charge you who knows what the exact cost will be. Still great though. Total order including a scandallous 77c:pac: netherlands post(recommended) charge comes in at $285.99.

I hope i don't have problems like tinydeal as i put in parcel motel as my shipping address but so far so good. Got the paypal confirmation for the above amount, strangely the gearbest e-mail confirmation shows the original $399 price but i wouldn't be too concerned about that(for now).

So that's it. Order away.

Patience guys, good things come to those who wait:D

OK I didn't see anything of note on the chinese sites today so i went to order this.

Now there is good news and bad news. Unfortunately this phone is now on back order so who knows when they will get it back in stock. Live chat is offline so if you are in a hurry maybe risk ordering it from 1949deal.

Now for the good news. The code is ZPZZ and it works. Was amazed to see the price change to 221e:). You have to pay by paypal and the order can only be paid in dollars so with paypals dodgy conversion rate and your bank charge you who knows what the exact cost will be. Still great though. Total order including a scandallous 77c:pac: netherlands post(recommended) charge comes in at $285.99.

I hope i don't have problems like tinydeal as i put in parcel motel as my shipping address but so far so good. Got the paypal confirmation for the above amount, strangely the gearbest e-mail confirmation shows the original $399 price but i wouldn't be too concerned about that(for now).

So that's it. Order away.

Nice one. I ordered as well. No one could beat it that I contacted today.
    Why did you use PM. If you have customs charges it will be refused by them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Definite bargain there lads – low price for great specs

Anyone know what the camera is like on the Zopo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Managed to pick up this phone for €150 recently (no vat or duty on it).

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6325537131.html

Other than that things are working fine and i love the phone. Its fast, has a decent camera and does what i need it to do.

No 800mhz 4G Band, but you might not need it.

Nice one. I ordered as well. No one could beat it that I contacted today.
    Why did you use PM. If you have customs charges it will be refused by them!

They told me that if it gets caught for customs that will advise me of this and once i pay the delivery company(royal mail etc..) that they will then release it and parcel motel will accept it. I'm willing to give it a go again as per an earlier post got a phone for my mother that took less than 2 weeks from dispatch to my parcel motel. I doubt(could be wrong) that it would anything like as quick to Ireland and also could be more chance of customs catching it here.

Sure we'll see:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

eamonnq wrote: »
    No 800mhz 4G Band, but you might not need it.

Apologies now im still a bit of a lamb when it comes to these things so ill bow to your expertise on it :)

I had originally ordered a TDD version but then realised i should have ordered FDD as that is the 4G standard that works in Ireland so i cancelled first order and ordered the FDD. Now to be honest im not overly fussy when it comes to 4G as the two apps id have most use out of on the data connection are Livescore and My 24 hour banking app. It wouldnt be a bad thing to be able to view the odd youtube video here and there either though but if i cant then i wont fret much.

EDIT: Question. Can anyone tell me if i was to reset the factory settings on this phone, would i have to delete the crapware on it again despite already having deleting them via Titanium backup?

Its a shame the zp999 is on back order. I would like it asap as my s2 is fading fast. I think I will go with the zopo 3x (16gb) version which is easier to get at the moment, pay some extra and get it from zopo eu warehouse. Will probably pay €50 more than the one above but no customs and should be here in a few days. Thats the plan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chivral

Just got my Huawei Honor 6, a nice thing I'm just not used to it will take a while since the last time I changed my phone was about 3 years ago.

Its a shame the zp999 is on back order. I would like it asap as my s2 is fading fast. I think I will go with the zopo 3x (16gb) version which is easier to get at the moment, pay some extra and get it from zopo eu warehouse. Will probably pay €50 more than the one above but no customs and should be here in a few days. Thats the plan anyway.

Yeah it's a bit of a shame it's on back order. Fortunately i'm not in any hurry to receive it.

I think even if they had it in stock it would be touch and go to have it for christmas. It wouldn't be dispatched for up to a week anyway.

The 3x can be got for 256e from an eu warehouse delivered in a few days which is still a great deal on the face of it.

Best of luck with it and it's a pity that you of all people possibly can't take advantage of the deal. Please review it if you go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Barr wrote: »
    Huawei-Ascend-Mate-7.jpg?resize=622%2C324

Wow a good looking Huawei at last, and one of the best looking phones Ive ever seen to be honest :eek:

Yeah it's a bit of a shame it's on back order. Fortunately i'm not in any hurry to receive it.

I think even if they had it in stock it would be touch and go to have it for christmas. It wouldn't be dispatched for up to a week anyway.

The 3x can be got for 256e from an eu warehouse delivered in a few days which is still a great deal on the face of it.

Best of luck with it and it's a pity that you of all people possibly can't take advantage of the deal. Please review it if you go for it.

Thanks itsnotmyfault for putting the zopo on my target list. The 3x is basically the ZP999 with 16 less gb. They tell my I should have it from their european warehouse in 2-5 days (for an extra €30 shipping:(). I will most certainly give a review and hopefully it will be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Thargor wrote: »

Wow a good looking Huawei at last, and one of the best looking phones Ive ever seen to be honest :eek:

Yes wow, that it nice.

Working with the guy this week with the Iphone 6+ and this Huawei beats it hands down in terms of style

Thanks itsnotmyfault for putting the zopo on my target list. The 3x is basically the ZP999 with 16 less gb. They tell my I should have it from their european warehouse in 2-5 days (for an extra €30 shipping:(). I will most certainly give a review and hopefully it will be positive.

Not sure how reliable these are but here is where i saw it for 256 delivered from eu.

http://www.zopomobile.eu/55-zp999-lite-zopo-3x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Thargor wrote: »

Looks like the HTC One M8 except with a flatter back and less waste! Very very nice I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm looking at getting the elephone p3000s. I can see it has the right 4g bands but does it have the right 3g?

It's the only phone I have seen for around what I wanna pay with the right 4g frequencies. Are there any others? 250 euro all in would be my limit right now.

I'm looking at getting the elephone p3000s. I can see it has the right 4g bands but does it have the right 3g?

It's the only phone I have seen for around what I wanna pay with the right 4g frequencies. Are there any others? 250 euro all in would be my limit right now.

Zopo zp999 from gearbest works out at 220 with a code mentioned a few posts up.
    Its backorder but I think its worth waiting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm thinking of going for the Zopo from Gearbest; has anyone here used Gearbest before, and if yes, how did you get on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement