Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hey guys, I bought a Jiayu G3S about a year ago and has been fantastic, until recently. It has started freezing and turning off etc. I'm just gonna factory reset it but it crossed my mind to think of putting a custom rom on it while i'm at it. I'm wondering does anyone here have any sort of recommendations for a rom?
    Cyanogen looks great but isn't officially supported, however, i did find it here but looks a bit dubious. Other than that, I don't really know where to go.
    http://www.needrom.com/category/jiayu/g3s/

Just have to check the dates on them/read the comments/read what the creator was aiming for when he made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭mcw92

Do people think this would be a safe order?
    Meizu MX4

16GB Silver with DHL Shipping, $360.

Or would paying $389.00 with Oppomart be a safer option?

Also would this work with Three's 4G?
    FDD-LTE 1800/2100/2600MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

mcw92 wrote: »
    Do people think this would be a safe order?
    Meizu MX4

16GB Silver with DHL Shipping, $360.

Or would paying $389.00 with Oppomart be a safer option?

Also would this work with Three's 4G?
    3 is 1800 so 4g should be perfect. I'd nearly go with Oppomart but the seller has nearly 99% possible feedback with >15000 sales. Won't do much better than that. So I'd say you'd be safe with both. Only thing you would worry about then is customs.

webels wrote: »
    3 is 1800 so 4g should be perfect. I'd nearly go with Oppomart but the seller has nearly 99% possible feedback with >15000 sales. Won't do much better than that. So I'd say you'd be safe with both. Only thing you would worry about then is customs.

Could either or be hit by customs yes?
    What sort of charge would i be looking at?
    Also is there any type of post thats safer than others? DHL seems to be the best for time/cost.

Ok after a days use of the Zopo it really is a great phone

Strong points
    Really quick no lagging whatsoever, the rom is silky smooth.
    GPS is perfect fast fix and google maps navigation is faultless.
    All apps I have used have worked perfect no issues.
    Lovely handset and getting used to the size
    Screen is top notch - crystal clear, videos are stunning (sound from speakers is perfectly adequate but could be a bit louder)

Weak points (these are minor enough)
    While the pictures and videos are very good, focus is slowish but as Corwill said another app could help
    The 4g signal outdoors is perfect and equally as fast as a 4g wireless hub (using speedtest) I use, but indoors it drops to 3g whereas the hub is still 4g running the same sim on meteor. - must look into this and try to improve it.
    The battery will get a days use but should improve with more charging (not really a weak point as such but could have done with a few more mAh)

Anyone with any questions/suggestions ask away.

The 3g/4g issue I would say is due to the phone not picking up the 800mhz signal as it should. 800 mhz having the best indoor penetration from what I can see. Anyways using Network Signal Booster app
    I can get the 4g signal back fast enough when lost.

• Advertisement

Could either or be hit by customs yes?
    What sort of charge would i be looking at?
    Also is there any type of post thats safer than others? DHL seems to be the best for time/cost.

23% of phone value plus €7 an post handling fee (I think). No method is much safer than other from what I can see. Fedex commonly gets customs charges but they are all libel to be caught.

23% of phone value plus €7 on past handling fee (I think). No method is much safer than other from what I can see. Fedex commonly gets customs charges but they are all libel to be caught.

Ok thanks.

And one last question, the Meizu MX4 or the Xiaomi Mi4,
    I much rather the design of the MX4 but will the Mediatek processor be a let down?
    I currently have a Nexus 5 btw.

Ok thanks.

And one last question, the Meizu MX4 or the Xiaomi Mi4,
    I much rather the design of the MX4 but will the Mediatek processor be a let down?
    I currently have a Nexus 5 btw.

Mediatek processors have certainly improved. The Mi4 has the better processor but as you say MX4 is a nicer design

Plenty food for though with this google search. phonesarena does a nice comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Im no geek when it comes to processor performance so could be open to correction but the link below suggests that the mediatek processor is a better performing one than the snapdragon 801.

http://www.mobilegeeks.com/mediatek-outperforms-qualcomm-welcome-true-octa-core-processing/

theduffer wrote: »
    Im no geek when it comes to processor performance so could be open to correction but the link below suggests that the mediatek processor is a better performing one than the snapdragon 801.

http://www.mobilegeeks.com/mediatek-outperforms-qualcomm-welcome-true-octa-core-processing/

It more than likely benchmarks better yes but everyday use I think I seen it was slightly sluggish compared to the snapdragon and I've heard problems of gps on mediatek processors before but I think that has being fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

It more than likely benchmarks better yes but everyday use I think I seen it was slightly sluggish compared to the snapdragon and I've heard problems of gps on mediatek processors before but I think that has being fixed.

If it's MTK6592 or any of them that are octacore, GPS should work no problem. What I've heard on the grapevine anyway.

pajor wrote: »
    If it's MTK6592 or any of them that are octacore, GPS should work no problem. What I've heard on the grapevine anyway.

Its the newer MTK6595 processor, it has a higher clock speed and from the review from webels it appears GPS issues are resolved. No sign of sluggishness either

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93349776&postcount=7888

Its the newer MTK6595 processor, it has a higher clock speed and from the review from webels it appears GPS issues are resolved. No sign of sluggishness either

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93349776&postcount=7888

Even better then. :)

And neither am I, the oneplus has the snapdragon 801 as an example, the Zopo 999 has a higher antutu than it and the CPU scores (Integer and Float point) on Antutu are higher for the zopo. I dont know what all that means but it sounds good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Any update from the mods about the selling page?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

And neither am I, the oneplus has the snapdragon 801 as an example, the Zopo 999 has a higher antutu than it and the CPU scores (Integer and Float point) on Antutu are higher for the zopo. I dont know what all that means but it sounds good:D

I hate to spoil things in the "my dick is bigger than yours debate":D but i would expect to MTK6595 to outperform the snapdragon 801 but surely it's main competition should be the 805 which i severely doubt it's better than.

Good to hear you're enjoying the zopo. Hopefully the rest of us should get ours in early january at the agreed price. I'm a little bit more aprehensive now that 1949deal have upped their price but fingers crossed. It seems like a tough nut to crack(root) which would be very important for me(i couldn't go back to seeing ads:)) but they are progressing and i'd imagine there would be a ROM or 2 by the time i get mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any update from the mods about the selling page?

No..I'll PM Davy

I hate to spoil things in the "my dick is bigger than yours debate":D but i would expect to MTK6595 to outperform the snapdragon 801 but surely it's main competition should be the 805 which i severely doubt it's better than.

Measure away :D:D:D
    http://www.mobiledroid.co.uk/blog/mt6595-vs-the-rest-how-does-mediateks-new-top-end-soc-compare/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any recommendations for a 4.5 inch phone for under a ton?

Maybe 2GB Ram and a decent amount of storage

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chivral

Any recommendations for a 4.5 inch phone for under a ton?

Maybe 2GB Ram and a decent amount of storage

http://www.merimobiles.com/jiayu-g5-octa-core-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-smartphone_p/meri10131.htm What do you think of that?

• Advertisement

Chivral wrote: »

Looks very nice but is twice my budget. I'm probably bring a bit ambitious! Something like the landvo l200 with a smaller screen would be more what I'm looking for

Closest I've found so far is the Doogee Valencia. 90 euros, or 72 if I choose the orange coloured model. Anyone have any experience with this brand/model?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looks very nice but is twice my budget. I'm probably bring a bit ambitious! Something like the landvo l200 with a smaller screen would be more what I'm looking for

Closest I've found so far is the Doogee Valencia. 90 euros, or 72 if I choose the orange coloured model. Anyone have any experience with this brand/model?

You won't find exactly what you're looking for with a budget of €100, though the Doogee is decent for the price. 8gb is the most ROM you'll find. There are ways to change the app storage size on the phone, and then just use an SD card for regular storage, so ROM isn't such an issue here.

And I've used Doogee phones before with no major issues

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Could anyone recommend a phone from a 4.5 to 5.5 inch screen with some of the following specs:
    2 or 3gb ram
    Running Lollipop preferably
    Back camera >13mp and front >2mp
    4G
    Good processer and
    16bg or more storage

I was looking at some of the elephone phones and Meizu MX4 Pro

A quick search of aliexpress, showed a good few (seemingly) decent spec'd Lenovo phones. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sales-Lenovo-P780-c-MTK6592-Octa-Core-2G-ram-android-4-4-3g-gps-china/1906618749.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

A quick search of aliexpress, showed a good few (seemingly) decent spec'd Lenovo phones. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-sales-Lenovo-P780-c-MTK6592-Octa-Core-2G-ram-android-4-4-3g-gps-china/1906618749.html

Always check the specs elsewhere of the models being advertised as sometimes they may not be entirely accurate (or downright misleading), especially when you see the phone being advertised (like the one in the link) with different processor options etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

100% fake.

There's loads of these kinds of lenovo and huawei phones on aliexpress. If you see one without a real model number (one that's not on gsmarena) or specs that seem too good to be true for the price then don't go near it.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Always check the specs elsewhere of the models being advertised as sometimes they may not be entirely accurate (or downright misleading), especially when you see the phone being advertised (like the one in the link) with different processor options etc.

Haha yup. Just had a quick look on gsmarena. Pictures are completely different.

If it's too good to be true it usually is.

You won't find exactly what you're looking for with a budget of €100, though the Doogee is decent for the price. 8gb is the most ROM you'll find. There are ways to change the app storage size on the phone, and then just use an SD card for regular storage, so ROM isn't such an issue here.

And I've used Doogee phones before with no major issues

The reviews I've read since have all been very negative regarding the battery life. Think I'll give this a miss.

On that note, what kind of devices have the best battery lives in Chinaland?
    Kind of hard to understand why they scrimp so much on seemingly minor but vital things like space and power...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

The reviews I've read since have all been very negative regarding the battery life. Think I'll give this a miss.

On that note, what kind of devices have the best battery lives in Chinaland?
    Kind of hard to understand why they scrimp so much on seemingly minor but vital things like space and power...

If you can stretch the budget a bit - http://www.pandawill.com/jiayu-g4-smartphone-mtk6592-2gb-16gb-47-inch-gorilla-glass-android-42-3000mah-otg-p88087.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Anyone with a Thl 5000 confirm if the gps is good or bad?
    Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement