Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

I ordered the IUNI U3, should be here next week. Will post first impressions

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

What do you think about THL 4000?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

corwill wrote: »

Nice one! I'm sure I could go the extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,229 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Ibetit wrote: »
    What do you think about THL 4000?

This seems to have an older version of android than the 5000

One thing that sucks about THL is they don't seem to offer any updates once a phone has shipped. I'm still tempted by the 5000 but no updates puts me off

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

This seems to have an older version of android than the 5000

One thing that sucks about THL is they don't seem to offer any updates once a phone has shipped. I'm still tempted by the 5000 but no updates puts me off

Anyway, it has a huge 4000mAh battery, can be an option if you are looking for a €75 low budget phone. You don't buy on their site, since there are many online shop offer this phone, like www.dx.com, www.tinydeal.com, www.gearbest.com and so on. I've delt with some of them, pretty good !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

pelemcg wrote: »
    I ordered the IUNI U3, should be here next week. Will post first impressions

Nice phone and one that i had on my shortlist as my next phone till i got the deal on the zopo.

The QHD screen might be a bit OTT for a 5.5" screen but that's the way phones are going now. Just be a bit concerned with how much battery it would take up.

Aside from that it doesn't cover the infamous 800 4g band that most phones don't cover but that might not be an issue for you.

Great phone and look forward to your review.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Nice one! I'm sure I could go the extra few quid.

I have an older version of the G4, and you couldn't go wrong with it. Especially with battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Nice phone and one that i had on my shortlist as my next phone till i got the deal on the zopo.

The QHD screen might be a bit OTT for a 5.5" screen but that's the way phones are going now. Just be a bit concerned with how much battery it would take up.

Aside from that it doesn't cover the infamous 800 4g band that most phones don't cover but that might not be an issue for you.

Great phone and look forward to your review.

Not so sure how good the 800MHz band is in the ZOPO 3x as building penetration for 4g is terrible on mine:(. It picks up 4g outside but not as quick as my meteor 4g hub as I have to use an app to force it to use it. Its a real shame as the phone is really great otherwise:). I have messed about with engineering mode but dont want to do too much in case I mess it up totally. It could be down to contention for the 4g signal particularly in the evenings and it falls back to 3g as it is the stronger signal.

webels wrote: »
    Not so sure how good the 800MHz band is in the ZOPO 3x as building penetration for 4g is terrible on mine:(. It picks up 4g outside but not as quick as my meteor 4g hub as I have to use an app to force it to use it. Its a real shame as the phone is really great otherwise:). I have messed about with engineering mode but dont want to do too much in case I mess it up totally. It could be down to contention for the 4g signal particularly in the evenings and it falls back to 3g as it is the stronger signal.

Yeah, before you mentioned it in other posts i was under the impression that meteor only used the 1800mhz(i think) band for dublin and other big cities and that the 800mhz band was used for "the country". I'd no idea that the 800mhz band is used for indoor use.

But sure you learn something new everyday. Not great to hear that 4g signal isn't great on the zopo but for now i'll live in denial and say that it'll be fine in my area:D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

I bought a second redmi 1s last weekend as an xmas gift for the missus. I have been pretty impressed with my one - after I removed all the crap and installed MIUI v5 on it (I'd say if you are not the kind of person who can do this don't buy almost any of these chinese phones). A few months in and battery life is very good, longest I've ever had from a smart phone. Camera quality is very good.

Anyway, I went back to etotalk after a positive experience with my own. Order placed on friday last, there was the usual few emails back and forward checking my address etc. I got a tracking number on monday morning and DHL delivered the phone this morning to me probably would have been yesterday but I'm in the sticks). Overall I'd have to say I'm happy with the sales experience with etotalk but don't know how they are with problems, warranties.

Just thought I'd report the experience for others here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

chisel wrote: »
    I bought a second redmi 1s last weekend as an xmas gift for the missus. I have been pretty impressed with my one - after I removed all the crap and installed MIUI v5 on it (I'd say if you are not the kind of person who can do this don't buy almost any of these chinese phones). A few months in and battery life is very good, longest I've ever had from a smart phone. Camera quality is very good.

Anyway, I went back to etotalk after a positive experience with my own. Order placed on friday last, there was the usual few emails back and forward checking my address etc. I got a tracking number on monday morning and DHL delivered the phone this morning to me probably would have been yesterday but I'm in the sticks). Overall I'd have to say I'm happy with the sales experience with etotalk but don't know how they are with problems, warranties.

Just thought I'd report the experience for others here.

Any customs hassle?

Did etotalk press you about extras, particularly their own ROM? I remember someone on here complaining of the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gearbest don't know when the 999 will be in stockb:(

I've asked for a discount on the 3x.
    See what happens

See what happens

Had they charged you for it yet?

Had they charged you for it yet?

It's pre authorised but not charged.
    If I get a good discount on the 3x I might go for it.

It's pre authorised but not charged.
    If I get a good discount on the 3x I might go for it.

Same here, just preauthorised. That preorder tracker graphic for the 999 has disappeared from their site. Did they give any kind of steer at all on when they'll have them?

Let us know how you get on with the discount on the 3X!

Just got an email to say my money has been taken and they are packing my 999.
    Ill keep you informed :)

See what happens

They don't know what now:eek:

You got what now:confused:.

But but but but, it was me that got the deal in the first place and i placed the first order before giving the code out and i got no e-mail. That makes me a sad and angry panda:(:mad:.

But eh yeah, good luck with that and do keep us informed.

Just saw an email there saying the same. 3 to 5 days to dispatch, then however long NL post takes, so it'll be well into January before I get to play with it, DAMNIT!

Just saw an email there saying the same. 3 to 5 days to dispatch, then however long NL post takes, so it'll be well into January before I get to play with it, DAMNIT!

But but but but(ah i think you get the message)

But but but but(ah i think you get the message)

Yeah, I'd feel the same way! Drop them an email?

• Advertisement

They don't know what now:eek:

You got what now:confused:.

But but but but, it was me that got the deal in the first place and i placed the first order before giving the code out and i got no e-mail. That makes me a sad and angry panda:(:mad:.

But eh yeah, good luck with that and do keep us informed.

We'll tell you what the phone is like when it arrives.
    Thanks for the heads up :):)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hard to understand the difference between all the Jiayu G models. :confused:

Also, are Cubot phones any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Biggest differences would be processors, RAM and battery capacity. The one that was linked before looks like good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, you had the Ascend G 300, so I would recommend their brand new offering, the Ascend G620s. Its a fine big 5in phone. igb ram, 8gb internal storage. Only available from Three here. See my review on the Talk to.....Three forum.

EDIT: Are you still in France? Its available on amazon.fr sim-free for €130.00 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Any customs hassle?

Did etotalk press you about extras, particularly their own ROM? I remember someone on here complaining of the likes.

Nope, no customs hassle. Delivery by DHL, $25 declared value.

I did opt for their rom, but no hassles from them. I unticked almost every other box. I did get a 16gb micro SD card with it, and it says C10 on it, but who knows whether its really class 10 or not.

I haven't actually yet got to power it up!! I need a few hours on my own to work through it, get rid of the crap and set it up for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

chisel wrote: »
    Nope, no customs hassle. Delivery by DHL, $25 declared value.

I did opt for their rom, but no hassles from them. I unticked almost every other box. I did get a 16gb micro SD card with it, and it says C10 on it, but who knows whether its really class 10 or not.

I haven't actually yet got to power it up!! I need a few hours on my own to work through it, get rid of the crap and set it up for her.

If you got the etotalk rom the chinese stuff should be removed already. Most resellers do this for free however, they all use the same rom but etotalk just calls it their own.

Hate the way they try to sell you anything and everything.

Hi Lads,

Said i'd leave it till monday to see if there was any more movement on my order but nothing so have submitted a ticket to them for an update.

Just wondering did you both order the black,pay by card and have it sent to your home address?

I ordered the white,paid by paypal and requested it to be sent to parcel motel(starting to question all those decisions:confused:) so maybe that's why mine is delayed. I also cheekily asked them to root my phone but i know that won't happen.

Hi Lads,

Said i'd leave it till monday to see if there was any more movement on my order but nothing so have submitted a ticket to them for an update.

Just wondering did you both order the black,pay by card and have it sent to your home address?

I ordered the white,paid by paypal and requested it to be sent to parcel motel(starting to question all those decisions:confused:) so maybe that's why mine is delayed. I also cheekily asked them to root my phone but i know that won't happen.

Ordered the black, with PayPal, to home address via nl post. Still "processing".

Hi Lads,

If customs is payable, PM will just send it back.

Mine is still processing..
    Should be shipped any day now.

• Advertisement

If customs is payable, PM will just send it back.

Mine is still processing..
    Should be shipped any day now.

Ah we've been through this already:) I questioned this directly with PM and they e-mailed me back to advise that they won't accept it, they will then advise me to pay the shipping company(i would assume royal mail) directly and that they would accept it when released from them second time round.

Hope we don't get caught by customs as it will turn a great deal into a good deal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement