Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭daisydood

Hi guys I bought a cubot s168 in the end. Going great but it won't atop roaming. I have been onto 48-my provider and they've tested it and no issue with Sim so they say its the phone. Any ideas what to do? Phone is showing that its registered to 48 but roaming is at the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ah we've been through this already:) I questioned this directly with PM and they e-mailed me back to advise that they won't accept it, they will then advise me to pay the shipping company(i would assume royal mail) directly and that they would accept it when released from them second time round.

Hope we don't get caught by customs as it will turn a great deal into a good deal.

Still a great deal. Will hopefully come in under 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

daisydood wrote: »
    Hi guys I bought a cubot s168 in the end. Going great but it won't atop roaming. I have been onto 48-my provider and they've tested it and no issue with Sim so they say its the phone. Any ideas what to do? Phone is showing that its registered to 48 but roaming is at the top

That's not a problem. It's the same for tesco and others that piggyback on the O2 network. As 48 don't have their own network your phone picks it up as if it's roaming on O2.

Bit annoying and scary at first as you think you're going to be racking up a huge bill but it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

If customs is payable, PM will just send it back.

Mine is still processing..
    Should be shipped any day now.

I got my Jaiyu G4S through PM 2 weeks ago and no customs had to be paid.
    Like most things luck has to be on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

That's not a problem. It's the same for tesco and others that piggyback on the O2 network. As 48 don't have their own network your phone picks it up as if it's roaming on O2.

Bit annoying and scary at first as you think you're going to be racking up a huge bill but it's fine.

As long as 3G actually works then all is good.

Just have to make sure that the tickbox in Settings to 'allow data when roaming' is ticked. And then make sure that it's unticked when actually going on holidays!

• Advertisement

Oh cool but data connection won't work for me when its roaming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

Did you setup an APN for it?

wiz569 wrote: »

Yep 48montha apn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Settings >> SIM Management >> Roaming >> Data Roaming >> Tick box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys is anyone here still using a jiayu G3?

My mums one just died and I have a spare battery and leather flip wallet going spare if anyone still uses a G3 and wants them before they go into the bin

Let me know

Alan

pajor wrote: »
    Settings >> SIM Management >> Roaming >> Data Roaming >> Tick box

Yeah its working now but why is it in roaming still. It never was on my old phone. I have to confirm I'm sending each message and call as I'm "roaming"

Yeah its working now but why is it in roaming still. It never was on my old phone. I have to confirm I'm sending each message and call as I'm "roaming"

Try "Settings-SIM Management-Roaming-Show roaming reminder"

Change it to Once or Never

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Guys is anyone here still using a jiayu G3?

My mums one just died and I have a spare battery and leather flip wallet going spare if anyone still uses a G3 and wants them before they go into the bin

Let me know

Alan

I am

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

If customs is payable, PM will just send it back.

Mine is still processing..
    Should be shipped any day now.

Let me know what ye think when you get it. It will be a bit of a blow if people get it before itsnotmyfault seeing as he mentioned the phone and the code.

Phone is an absolute gem and if ye all get it for €230 for 32gb zp999 it will be one of the bargains of the year.

Great looking phone (super thin), great CPU, great battery, good camera, enough ram (with ext sd so great), doesnt have 4g (but not crucial to everyone). Overall a great phone at an excellent price - go for it and dont forget to leave a review if you do.

Ok. So i finally got an e-mail to my registered paypal address at 3:18 advising that they have processed my payment and the 3-5 days to be shipped that the other lads got.

Strangely, the response i got from my ticket at 08:41 this morning to my registered gearbest e-mail address read as follows

Thanks for your inquiry.We wish to apologize for any inconvenience.

We noticed that you have paid on Paypal via echeck whick takes 3-10 business days to clear and appear on our paypal account. We will ship your order out as soon as your payment appears on our paypal account.

After we received the money,we will prepare your order as soon as possible.
    Hope you have a nice day.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter. Welcome to contact us again soon.

So i guess, pay by card and get it quicker?

Anyway, should get it eventually so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'd appreciate an opinion on this phone please and on chinavasion:

thl T200 MTK6592 True Octa-Core Phone
    - 6 Inch Gorilla Glass IPS Capacitive Screen, 1920x1080, 32GB ROM, NFC, Android OS
    194.50 euro from chinavasion

Phone Spec

I'm looking for something between a tablet & phone, with a good camera & radio (a lot don't have radios). Anyone know anything about battery life on this and if it will be ok on metieor network?

I don't know a lot about phones, so I'd appreciate any advice or other recommendations.

Thanks.

edit: link doesnt seem to work. try this
    https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Android_Phones/6-7_Inch_Android_Phones/thl_T200_MTK6592_True_Octa-Core_Phone_-_6_Inch_Gorilla_Glass_IPS_Capacitive_Screen_1920x1080_32GB_ROM_NFC_Android_OS_White/

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd appreciate an opinion on this phone please and on chinavasion:

thl T200 MTK6592 True Octa-Core Phone
    - 6 Inch Gorilla Glass IPS Capacitive Screen, 1920x1080, 32GB ROM, NFC, Android OS
    194.50 euro from chinavasion

Phone Spec

I'm looking for something between a tablet & phone, with a good camera & radio (a lot don't have radios). Anyone know anything about battery life on this and if it will be ok on metieor network?

I don't know a lot about phones, so I'd appreciate any advice or other recommendations.

Thanks.

edit: link doesnt seem to work. try this
    https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Android_Phones/6-7_Inch_Android_Phones/thl_T200_MTK6592_True_Octa-Core_Phone_-_6_Inch_Gorilla_Glass_IPS_Capacitive_Screen_1920x1080_32GB_ROM_NFC_Android_OS_White/
    Good looking phone, I think with a 6 inch phone 3000mah battery would make a big difference. However with good battery management it should be fine. Tasker helps a lot for context based WiFi data management. The big consumers of battery particularly data management of you are in an area with poor 3g coverage. I would like to see 900 frequency but 2100mhz should cover you for meteor. I am more familiar with 4g band requirements. On that point is 4g important to you.?
    Otherwise processor camera and resolution look OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

webels wrote: »
    Good looking phone, I think with a 6 inch phone 3000mah battery would make a big difference. However with good battery management it should be fine. Tasker helps a lot for context based WiFi data management. The big consumers of battery particularly data management of you are in an area with poor 3g coverage. I would like to see 900 frequency but 2100mhz should cover you for meteor. I am more familiar with 4g band requirements. On that point is 4g important to you.?
    Otherwise processor camera and resolution look OK.

Thanks for your help webels. I'll manage without G4 I think for the lifetime of this phone! I'll live with the battery life. Just really wanted to hear of any major views negatives about THL phones on that particular website or maybe if someone could recommend a similar spec phone.

jm08 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help webels. I'll manage without G4 I think for the lifetime of this phone! I'll live with the battery life. Just really wanted to hear of any major views negatives about THL phones on that particular website or maybe if someone could recommend a similar spec phone.

personally i'd try and get a newer processor. a 6595 or snapdragon.

not sure about the website.
    there are other tried and tested sites in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Got 4 phones from chinavaison, and this one (a thl incidentally) is the only one that's worked for more than a few months.

Going on one year old next month. It has a few pretty annoying hardware faults IE cameras don't work without a diy fix I can't get to work, battery is very shoddy. Occasionally drops coverage for no reason, which is a phone problem albeit not a big deal.

ThL are fine in my book, chinavaison are iffy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Lads I had a look at the Zopo ZP999 and 3X twins their specs seems identical except the storage 32 vs 16 GB. The 3X cheaper if you need more storage you get a microsd. Or am I wrong?

padyjoe wrote: »
    Lads I had a look at the Zopo ZP999 and 3X twins their specs seems identical except the storage 32 vs 16 GB. The 3X cheaper if you need more storage you get a microsd. Or am I wrong?

Your correct, unless you got the deal itsnotmyfault identified a couple of pages back. I have the 3x no complaints so far great phone.

padyjoe wrote: »

Use the code luke:) the discount is with you

Mother of divine jebus. I've got another e-mail from gearbest querying as to why my billing address and shipping address(parcel motel) are different.

I've explained that it's purely for convenience and supposedly quicker shipping to the UK. If they have an issue with that they can send it to my home address. They've apparently taken the money so if they cancel the order i will flip and make sure the other orders here are also cancelled:D:D:D

Has anyone got a dispatch notice yet?

Mother of divine jebus. I've got another e-mail from gearbest querying as to why my billing address and shipping address(parcel motel) are different.

I've explained that it's purely for convenience and supposedly quicker shipping to the UK. If they have an issue with that they can send it to my home address. They've apparently taken the money so if they cancel the order i will flip and make sure the other orders here are also cancelled:D:D:D

Has anyone got a dispatch notice yet?

You should be thanking them for considering the security of your card.
    A different billing and shipping address is a red flag for fraud.

Hold it together!

You should be thanking them for considering the security of your card.
    A different billing and shipping address is a red flag for fraud.

Hold it together!

Ah, I suppose your right and yeah in the event of fraud i would be thanking them, but in this case:pac:. I suppose the words cake have eat your it and come to mind.

It's funny how the different chinese sites i've used deal with it. Coolicool didn't have any issues, tinydeal must have thought i was a terrorist:)(they wanted declarations signed, passport, bill and more). Obviously they weren't getting them and the order was cancelled. And now, hopefully a happy medium with gearbest.

Sure it should be fine. Right, RIGHT!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Ah, I suppose your right and yeah in the event of fraud i would be thanking them, but in this case:pac:. I suppose the words cake have eat your it and come to mind.

It's funny how the different chinese sites i've used deal with it. Coolicool didn't have any issues, tinydeal must have thought i was a terrorist:)(they wanted declarations signed, passport, bill and more). Obviously they weren't getting them and the order was cancelled. And now, hopefully a happy medium with gearbest.

Sure it should be fine. Right, RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Well, at least you're farther up the q, mine is still "processing". Won't be getting too agitated until the week after next though, given the time of year.

If anything, your experience is reassuring, it's what you might expect from a legit outfit, I've been queried before like that with online purchases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement