Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Ah, I suppose your right and yeah in the event of fraud i would be thanking them, but in this case:pac:. I suppose the words cake have eat your it and come to mind.

It's funny how the different chinese sites i've used deal with it. Coolicool didn't have any issues, tinydeal must have thought i was a terrorist:)(they wanted declarations signed, passport, bill and more). Obviously they weren't getting them and the order was cancelled. And now, hopefully a happy medium with gearbest.

Sure it should be fine. Right, RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Keep the faith...

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

corwill wrote: »
    Well, at least you're farther up the q, mine is still "processing". Won't be getting too agitated until the week after next though, given the time of year.

If anything, your experience is reassuring, it's what you might expect from a legit outfit, I've been queried before like that with online purchases.

Ah, i'm no further up the q, mine is still processing and if anything this will hold it up further. I'm not aggitated that much. My nexus 4 is still running fine so in no hurry but i just wish they would just dispatch it and we'll take it from there.

webels, have you looked in to rooting your 3x? Think it might be easier for you than us as there is only one 32G partition on our phones and that appears to be a problem. Mind you, yours is probably a single 16G partition which is probably just as problamatic. You know, probably.......

Ah, i'm no further up the q, mine is still processing and if anything this will hold it up further. I'm not aggitated that much. My nexus 4 is still running fine so in no hurry but i just wish they would just dispatch it and we'll take it from there.

webels, have you looked in to rooting your 3x? Think it might be easier for you than us as there is only one 32G partition on our phones and that appears to be a problem. Mind you, yours is probably a single 16G partition which is probably just as problamatic. You know, probably.......

I am keeping a close eye on the xda threads. Root is possible but you need to load a new custom rom like marsapa rom. I am really happy with the rom that came on the phone while using the apex launcher. I would like to be rooted for a couple of apps but in no rush yet. So will probably wait to root when it's available without having to change my rom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Im on live chat with them.

Mine has shipped today and I have a tracking number.
    I'm told it will start to track in a week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Im on live chat with them.

Mine has shipped today and I have a tracking number.
    I'm told it will start to track in a week. :)

Which shipping option did you go with?

I picked nl post in the hopes of a, er, COUGH, trouble free delivery.

• Advertisement

Which shipping option did you go with?

I picked nl post in the hopes of a, er, COUGH, trouble free delivery.

used NL post.

If you can get them on chat they'll give you a tracking code if its shipped.

Still showing as processing on the site.

used NL post.

If you can get them on chat they'll give you a tracking code if its shipped.

Still showing as processing on the site.

Just opened a ticket in their support centre, live chat was offline.

You'd swear I actually need a new phone.

Edit: will ship in 1-3 days, they say.

Edit 2: shipped!

A few of my family are looking at getting new phones shortly, I'd say this nifty little Meizu Blue Charm (crap name!), might give Moto G and Redmi a run for their money - http://www.gsmarena.com/47inch_meizu_blue_charm_allegedly_gets_pictured-news-10517.php

Corwill and tatranska, can i just say how delighted I am for both of ye(through gritted teeth:D).

They got back to me and were ok to send it to PM but want to see photo ID and the card(most numbers covered obviously) to ensure it's not fraud.

Fair enough, i'll get that to them later but it'll just hold it up again which is a pity because it would have been interesting to see who would have got it first and if going the PM route was worth it.

I'll keep you updated(even if you couldn't care less at this stage:))

Corwill and tatranska, can i just say how delighted I am for both of ye(through gritted teeth:D).

They got back to me and were ok to send it to PM but want to see photo ID and the card(most numbers covered obviously) to ensure it's not fraud.

Fair enough, i'll get that to them later but it'll just hold it up again which is a pity because it would have been interesting to see who would have got it first and if going the PM route was worth it.

I'll keep you updated(even if you couldn't care less at this stage:))

Of course we care:) we're all in it together.
    But I did warn against PM

Got my email today to say give a few days for tracking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Picked up a Huawei Y550 (still Chinese!) earlier. €80 for 4G, just couldn't say no to that. :D

webels wrote: »
    I am keeping a close eye on the xda threads. Root is possible but you need to load a new custom rom like marsapa rom. I am really happy with the rom that came on the phone while using the apex launcher. I would like to be rooted for a couple of apps but in no rush yet. So will probably wait to root when it's available without having to change my rom.

From the video reviews I've seen, Zopo's own ROM looks very close to AOSP. Are you finding it to be fairly vanilla?

Gone for any accessories yet?

From the video reviews I've seen, Zopo's own ROM looks very close to AOSP. Are you finding it to be fairly vanilla?

Gone for any accessories yet?

Read that's it close to nexus rom so pretty vanilla I guess.

No accessories yet for me. The case it came with had a rubber sleeve which I ripped off and use as the case was pretty rubbish

My phone has shipped :)

Corwill, we'll need a dedicated thread on this soon :)

My phone has shipped :)

Corwill, we'll need a dedicated thread on this soon :)

Is it tracking on nlpost for you? My tracking reference isn't getting a return yet.

There's a Lollipop ROM I'll have to try on the Mi3 before I move the old girl on. I doubt we'll see much official support from Zopo, but I might be wrong.

Is it tracking on nlpost for you? My tracking reference isn't getting a return yet.

There's a Lollipop ROM I'll have to try on the Mi3 before I move the old girl on. I doubt we'll see much official support from Zopo, but I might be wrong.

An upgrade was pushed a couple of weeks ago still on 4.4.2 but apparently to fix a few bugs, I applied it and saw some visual differences (app sizes and colours etc) but nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Looks like I might upgrade from the THL W200S in the new year. The Jiayu S3 should be out then looks like great spec on this phone.

The OnePlus One is still doing very well.

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/12/04/jiayu-s3-price-announced-just-162-3gb-ram-lte-64bit-soc/

An upgrade was pushed a couple of weeks ago still on 4.4.2 but apparently to fix a few bugs, I applied it and saw some visual differences (app sizes and colours etc) but nothing else.

There's a forum on zopomobileshop with what looks like a bit of development activity, judging by thread titles.

I'll be grand with close-to-vanilla KitKat on the Zopo for the forseeable, maybe root to get rid of any bloat. I only experimented with my last few devices to get closer to "proper" android.

In no great rush for lollipop either, given the mixed reviews, here and elsewhere. I find Material Design a bit heavy handed, and KitKat is grand performance-wise for my needs.

There's a forum on zopomobileshop with what looks like a bit of development activity, judging by thread titles.

I'll be grand with close-to-vanilla KitKat on the Zopo for the forseeable, maybe root to get rid of any bloat. I only experimented with my last few devices to get closer to "proper" android.

In no great rush for lollipop either, given the mixed reviews, here and elsewhere. I find Material Design a bit heavy handed, and KitKat is grand performance-wise for my needs.

The upgrade was kinda confusing the way it was rolled out. You had to manually go to the file in an upgrade folder and upgrade from there. It was ok but could have been better described in the instructions, perhaps things were lost in translation from Chinese.

To be fair there wasnt a lot of bloatware apps on mine. Having the sd storage takes care of pics and videos so at the moment 16gb is fine for me. This phone is ultra fast and battery after a few charges is really good now combined with tasker data and wifi management.

Weeelllll. I spent at least an hour trying to upload the card and photo id last night as per their request. They say that each file should be less than 2mb and one of mine was 2.15mb.i didn't think that would be a problem. Shock, it didn't work. Strangely couldn't compress the file so took another picture, edited it and it was below 2mb. Tried that 4 times, more server errors. Took more pictures, edited them and combined they were less than 2mb and finally went through.

That was ridiculously frustrating but it fairness to them to my shock they emailed back within the hour to thank me for that and will arrange shipping.

I assumed that it was going to be Tuesday or Wednesday that it might eventually ship but again stunned that I got an email about 15 mins ago to say that it's shipped. Fair play gearbest. I doubt we'll get any tracking information for at least a week but now at least we can play the custom roulette game.

It's great that we have a guinea pig in webels to learn from his mistakes lol.

I, too am not overly concerned about lollipop while they iron out their problems and am only concerned about root to install adaway.

Sure we should set up our own thread when we all have it.

Rant over(I really am full of useless information,Ha)

• Advertisement

Looks like I might upgrade from the THL W200S in the new year. The Jiayu S3 should be out then looks like great spec on this phone.

The OnePlus One is still doing very well.

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/12/04/jiayu-s3-price-announced-just-162-3gb-ram-lte-64bit-soc/

The Jiayu S3 like looks like a great phone, but beyond a certain price point I'd be looking for a bit more from the processor in terms of MHz. The Yuan price quoted for the 3gb RAM version comes to €130, anything below €180 through a reseller would be great. Above that, the Zopo 3x comes into play, I think.

I'm such a specs hoor...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,681 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads I have a 2013 Moto G that I use with a Bluetooth headset for work, but there is an ongoing issue I'm having with calls the person speaking sounds like a scrambled alien. Now have been reading with interest this thread as if like to give a Chinese phone a go in the new year, key for me would be rock solid phone call quality good Bluetooth comparability, decent screen and something that's not going to go faulty after a couple of months, any suggestions would be appreciated thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Lenovo P780, with the big battery:

I just got one from meri. But it has the china ROM installed grrr.

anyone successfully changed from the china ROM to the international ROM that has google apps, etc? I have tried to flash a couple from needrom but i get an error message that the new rom is not compatible.

not sure if it is worth posting it back. i got stuck for vat too.

If the update ZP999 20141218-145608 released on the 18th Dec pops up on your ZOPO 999s don't update it is c@@p. You lose the home button no access to settings from pull down screen. Had to do a factory reset which sorted things. In future I will have a look here first as there was plenty warnings of how poor it was. http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/rooting-roms/zopo-zp999-octa-core-t2901185

If the update ZP999 20141218-145608 released on the 18th Dec pops up on your ZOPO 999s don't update it is c@@p. You lose the home button no access to settings from pull down screen. Had to do a factory reset which sorted things. In future I will have a look here first as there was plenty warnings of how poor it was. http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/rooting-roms/zopo-zp999-octa-core-t2901185

Did that arrive via OTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

deandean wrote: »
    Lenovo P780,

not sure if it is worth posting it back. i got stuck for vat too.

I don't think you can just return it anyway as it is not technically 'faulty'.

Did that arrive via OTA?
    Comes as a notification.

Comes as a notification.

Even if it was a dud update, at least they do ota updates. Already exceeding my expectations.

Need to pick a 64gb microsd, my old cheapo one is knackered. I'm between a sandisk extreme or a Samsung evo, anyone have alternative suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Even if it was a dud update, at least they do ota updates. Already exceeding my expectations.

Need to pick a 64gb microsd, my old cheapo one is knackered. I'm between a sandisk extreme or a Samsung evo, anyone have alternative suggestions?

I got the Samsung Evo 64GB delivered last week. Think it was just under £20 via Amazon. Would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement

Anyone have experiences of Netherlands Post to share?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement