Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Mr Blobby wrote: »

I may buy this today.
    I posted my review of elephone p6s back earlier in the year. Very fine phone (except for lack of updates and the weird earphone jack) but I dropped it last night :(

I haven't bought from etotalk before, what do I need to know as reagrds their rom for $4.99 and unlocking for $2.99, playstore for $2.99 etc?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Etotalk sent a refund today, happy enough with them easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Probably been asked before,but does using a Europe warehouse mean no customs tax?

horse7 wrote: »
    Probably been asked before,but does using a Europe warehouse mean no customs tax?

Yup, but finding a decently stocked one can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Was going to order a Jiayu 4GS (why are all these phones called almost the same thing? It's really confusing!) but the phone's page on Pandawill is coming up all strange

http://www.pandawill.com/jiayu-g4-smartphone-mtk6592-2gb-16gb-47-inch-gorilla-glass-android-42-3000mah-otg-p88087.html

Like it's been destocked?

Can anyone recommend another retailer for it? I see it on MiniDeal.net but have never heard of them before

I bought the same phone from merimobiles a while ago. Haven't got around to rooting it yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 dan_dublin

I got the 4G version yesterday. 4G is working fine on the Three network for me.

Really like the phone so far. I'm surprised how much I like Miui so far too. I had planned to put a new rom on it, but I think I'll stick with it.

Just got the Xiaomi RedMi Note 4G and it doesn't pick up 4G in Ireland. On Three, so the 1800 frequency should work, but it doesn't. Did anyone order from somewhere other than xiaomishop? Is the Asian specs thing a real possibility in which case who to order from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

dan_dublin wrote: »
    Just got the Xiaomi RedMi Note 4G and it doesn't pick up 4G in Ireland. On Three, so the 1800 frequency should work, but it doesn't. Did anyone order from somewhere other than xiaomishop? Is the Asian specs thing a real possibility in which case who to order from?

Both versions of the redmi note 4g are 'asian specs' just for different network operators there. One of them is compatible with 1800mhz fdd lte which works with most EU operators and the other is TD lte which will only work in China. I doubt xiaomishop are selling the TD version, wouldn't make sense as its not like there's a shortage of the FDD. Saying that, looking at some chinese stores they list the phone as being compatible with both td and fdd, so there may be just 1 version afterall.

To get 4g you need to have a 4g sim + 4g plan activated. Also might be a possibility that Three use the 800mhz band in some parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dan_dublin

To note, for Iseedeadpixels especially:

a straw to grab onto: forum.xiaomishop.com/thread-359646-1-1.html

There was a download update published on the 21st of November which included; " Fix - Sometimes 4G network could not be connected (10-21)
    ..,.".

I can't check it until I get home, but here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Posted a few pages back about my woes but the customer service I've received has definitely made me solidify my opinion of Mixeshop. If you order from them, you better pray they send you the right phone. It's been three months now. No sign of a refund. I started a Paypal dispute when I told them that you can't send a phone with a non-removable lithium battery by post and they told me to just hide it from the post office. I had to submit a police report to Paypal about it and Paypal ruled "refund upon return of goods." Short of flying to China, there's no way I can get that bloody phone back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Crosswalk wrote: »
    Posted a few pages back about my woes but the customer service I've received has definitely made me solidify my opinion of Mixeshop. If you order from them, you better pray they send you the right phone. It's been three months now. No sign of a refund. I started a Paypal dispute when I told them that you can't send a phone with a non-removable lithium battery by post and they told me to just hide it from the post office. I had to submit a police report to Paypal about it and Paypal ruled "refund upon return of goods." Short of flying to China, there's no way I can get that bloody phone back to them.

I've sent plenty of stuff with lithium batteries through the post overseas and they arrived fine. You could also use dhl,fedex etc but wouldn't be cheap. Perhaps ask the seller to arrange collection by one of these couriers as it would be much cheaper for them.

Or couldn't you just try sell the Zenfone 6 on adverts or something?

• Advertisement

dan_dublin wrote: »
    To note, for Iseedeadpixels especially:

a straw to grab onto: forum.xiaomishop.com/thread-359646-1-1.html

There was a download update published on the 21st of November which included; " Fix - Sometimes 4G network could not be connected (10-21)
    ..,.".

I can't check it until I get home, but here's hoping!

Sound ill check that out later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

PeteK* wrote: »
    Are there any iPhone 6 replicas with the iPhone theme as default?
    I'd probably get one for my little brother.

If you mean running ios 8 then no?
    The iphone replicas are terrible, you should avoid them

Downloaded the ROM but it failed as its version 5 I think, downloading the latest version 6 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

My Nexus 5 is starting to back in so I'm looking for a replacement. I haven't any experience of Chinese phones but from what I have read here you get a lot more value for money. Looking at the Meizu M1 Note but don't know if I like the similarity to the iPhone and the os Flume. Anyone have any experience of flume,should I consider it or would stock android os be better.

Would be willing to spend around €300. I'll like a 5.5 inch screnn.Preferably with an SD slot(not a deal breaker though). Battery,screen resolution and processor would also be very important. Don't mind waiting a bit if there is something good in the pipeline.

Also could you advise what sites to buy off,from a quick google there seems to be so many.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

seannash wrote: »
    If you mean running ios 8 then no?
    The iphone replicas are terrible, you should avoid them
    I meant running on Android. But the theme is an iPhone theme.
    I saw them before months ago but couldn't remember where. (online)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

My Nexus 5 is starting to back in so I'm looking for a replacement. I haven't any experience of Chinese phones but from what I have read here you get a lot more value for money. Looking at the Meizu M1 Note but don't know if I like the similarity to the iPhone and the os Flume. Anyone have any experience of flume,should I consider it or would stock android os be better.

Would be willing to spend around €300. I'll like a 5.5 inch screnn.Preferably with an SD slot(not a deal breaker though). Battery,screen resolution and processor would also be very important. Don't mind waiting a bit if there is something good in the pipeline.

Also could you advise what sites to buy off,from a quick google there seems to be so many.

Any help would be much appreciated.

OnePlus One? The majority of the more popular phones will probably get some sort of ROM anyways, which the Meizu is bound to be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'd be waiting for the jiayu s3 just to see what sort of price it comes out under.

Has similar specs to the OPO and should be a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

RossieMan wrote: »
    I'd be waiting for the jiayu s3 just to see what sort of price it comes out under.

Has similar specs to the OPO and should be a lower price.

I was interested in waiting for the Jiayu S3 but went for the OnePlus One instead. Not convinced by the build quality of the cheaper Chinese Android phones. Specs look great but don't want to be replacing my phone ever 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

PeteK* wrote: »
    I meant running on Android. But the theme is an iPhone theme.
    I saw them before months ago but couldn't remember where. (online)

Ive yet to see any with decent specs. You would be buying it purely because its an iphone replica. the internal components wouldnt be great in my opinion.
    Goophone is the one your looking for I think

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

seannash wrote: »
    Ive yet to see any with decent specs. You would be buying it purely because its an iphone replica. the internal components wouldnt be great in my opinion.
    Goophone is the one your looking for I think
    Yes, I think that's it, cheers! I might get it for my little brother.. he won't care much about specs.. as long as it plays music and YouTube... (?)

• Advertisement

Cant flash it at all :( ah well no 4G for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

Received an UMI zero yesterday, beautiful phone, corning glass3 on both sides around an aluminum body, 32000 on antutu. very impressed.

Got it to update, will confirm if 4G kicks in.

Received an UMI zero yesterday, beautiful phone, corning glass3 on both sides around an aluminum body, 32000 on antutu. very impressed.
    Just tried to order one but there out of stock in their Europe warehouse. Where did you order from?how much?any customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭galway1973

Got a lenovo a806 from ebay shipped from uk 180 delivered with parcel motel.but when it arrived there was no google apps installed on it as advertised.they were telling me to install from apk file but tried and still no good. There is no option to add Google account so now they are taking it back for replacement or refund.i presume they never rooted it any no if it has to be rooted in order to have Google apps installed? . They tried offering me 5% refund to keep .but am returning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

its very easy to flash google apps. but I'd get a refund, better value phones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭galway1973

RossieMan wrote: »
    its very easy to flash google apps. but I'd get a refund, better value phones out there.

What is better? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

horse7 wrote: »
    Just tried to order one but there out of stock in their Europe warehouse. Where did you order from?how much?any customs?

got it from antelife.com, 185 with dhl delivered, and another 18 for customs. Bear in mind i ordered last week in November, took 5 weeks.

Best of luck with it,it looks impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

got it from antelife.com, 185 with dhl delivered, and another 18 for customs. Bear in mind i ordered last week in November, took 5 weeks.

Is it 4G?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement