Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Yup what should I look out for?

I'm just curious what score it got because I think that it sounds like a great phone from reading the phone spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    I'm just curious what score it got because I think that it sounds like a great phone from reading the phone spec.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I would e mail them after a few days.

I ordered the phone I have now, from them before Christmas. I ordered black, which they were out of. But instead of e mailing me to tell me, they waited a week in the hope of restocking. It was only when I e mailed them a few times they told me, and offered the white version instead!

Cheers for that. They just got back to me about it. It's out of stock. *sigh* Anyone know anywhere that actually has the G3S in stock. I would go for the G4 but it's a big jump up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

A couple of bad things I've noticed with the G4. One of the main reasons I bought this was that it takes a 64gb card. I've only a 32gb class 10 card in at the moment and the music player library freezes when scrolling quick. A bit annoying.

While streaming videos, if you skip ahead into the clip the picture is unwatchable and doesn't improve so watch it from the start or don't watch at all.. The YouTube app works fine tho.

The volume from the 3.5 jack is fairly low but very clear, messing with the sound settings make a big difference but the level is just too low.

My signal keeps changing from H+ to 3g to E to X all in the space of a minute even tho I'm standing still. That could be meteor's issue tho, I dunno.

Finally, the keyboard. When I'm typing the page doesn't move up from behind the keyboard and can't see what I'm typing. When I move the page myself, it gets jumpy and freaks out a bit.

Have to say Im happy with everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Hey there. Just quickly, could anyone take me through the sequence to get English on the Jiayu G3. Just reset it, as I'm selling it on.

Oh, just figured it there. Testing process:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A couple of bad things I've noticed with the G4. One of the main reasons I bought this was that it takes a 64gb card. I've only a 32gb class 10 card in at the moment and the music player library freezes when scrolling quick. A bit annoying.

While streaming videos, if you skip ahead into the clip the picture is unwatchable and doesn't improve so watch it from the start or don't watch at all.. The YouTube app works fine tho.

The volume from the 3.5 jack is fairly low but very clear, messing with the sound settings make a big difference but the level is just too low.

My signal keeps changing from H+ to 3g to E to X all in the space of a minute even tho I'm standing still. That could be meteor's issue tho, I dunno.

Finally, the keyboard. When I'm typing the page doesn't move up from behind the keyboard and can't see what I'm typing. When I move the page myself, it gets jumpy and freaks out a bit.

For the keyboard you should install Swype or Swiftkey, you should do that on any Android anyway.

For the audio, I know there used to be audio boosting apps, cant check now as on bus.

For the 3G/H thing, if its not Meteor there are apps for that aswell, my Xperia Play never stuck on H for longer than 10 minutes until I got an app to keep an eye on it.

For the video, use a different video player and/or turn on hardware decoding in the play settings, the phone is a beast and video should be as flawless as a laptop with those specs.

Hopefully Jiayu or someone will have a new rom out in the coming weeks to fix the major issues like this, if these are the only issues you'll have got away lightly buying into the first production run of any Chinese generic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thargor wrote: »
    For the keyboard you should install Swype or Swiftkey, you should do that on any Android anyway.

For the audio, I know there used to be audio boosting apps, cant check now as on bus.

For the 3G/H thing, if its not Meteor there are apps for that aswell, my Xperia Play never stuck on H for longer than 10 minutes until I got an app to keep an eye on it.

For the video, use a different video player and/or turn on hardware decoding in the play settings, the phone is a beast and video should be as flawless as a laptop with those specs.

Hopefully Jiayu or someone will have a new rom out in the coming weeks to fix the major issues like this, if these are the only issues you'll have got away lightly buying into the first production run of any Chinese generic.

The stock android keyboard is actually really good. I'm using it now instead of swiftkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Use mx player to watch video

The stock android keyboard is actually really good. I'm using it now instead of swiftkey.
    Probably havent looked at it since the first build of IceCreamSandwich so maybe its improved but his is giving him trouble and Swiftkey really is great.

I end up sending tedious texts to people at work all day telling them how to do the same things over and over again and Swiftkey saves me so much time the way it finishes my sentences, it practically reads minds after a while. It did flash up one of my passwords as a suggestion the other day though, slightly disturbing, only time it did that in the last year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Is the umi x2 worth €200?

Has anyone bought this yet?
    Screen good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Is the umi x2 worth €200?

Has anyone bought this yet?
    Screen good?

I don't think anyone here has bought one, you're best looking up Youtube for reviews. Personally I'm holding off until the next wave of quadcore, 2GB ram, 1080p phones launch because I think there'll be potentially better ones available for roughly the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Anybody having problems with the G3 screen turning off on calls so you can't hang up or cancel? Googled it seems to be something up with the proximity sensor. It's clean and there's no case or screen protector so I think mine might be buggy.

In the meantime, go to Accessibility settings and enable the end call by power button option...this used to happen me on my Blade

Might be trying some new phone in the next week or so, I have a G2S for sale if anybody is interested. 6 months old and unmodded(comes rooted with stock 4.1.2)...

Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Yep, My G4 has gone nuts over a couple of days. Its freezing a lot now and it could happen anytime. That's not so bad tho, I just lock/unlock the phone and it will work away from the home screen again.
    The signal is my main problem. I have had no reception all day today. The bars are full at the moment but there's no letters beside it, and already there's nothing but a red x there now. Got a signal boosting app but it hasn't made any difference.
    The WiFi stopped aswell today but just restarting the phone sorted that out.
    I thought maybe an app I've installed is messing with it so was going to factory reset the phone but would that just bring everything back to Chinese?. I'd imagine I would be pretty screwed if that happened...

Seems to be a few roms for it already:

http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g4/

Might be time to try some of the better rated ones and see what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Anybody recommend the lenovo a820 or similar alternative? I think it ticks all the boxes apart from camera flash? If not, what could be an alternative size,ram and quad core wise with about the same price?wheres the most recommended place to buy it from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Spipov wrote: »
    Anybody recommend the lenovo a820 or similar alternative? I think it ticks all the boxes apart from camera flash? If not, what could be an alternative size,ram and quad core wise with about the same price?wheres the most recommended place to buy it from?

I had the a820 and loved it, ive the a830 now and that has the flash on the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

have it and can't complain. got it from mixeshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

I ordered a Jiayu GS3 from mixeshop a week ago and only thought to ask them if they had it in stock 2 days ago. I got back a email (poorly) telling me that i wasn't in stock and they'll ship it to me once it is. Now I realise this was a terrible idea as I shouldn't have ordered until it was confirmed but it's a bit late now.
    My question is, should I try cancel the order or just wait it out?

I ordered a Jiayu GS3 from mixeshop a week ago and only thought to ask them if they had it in stock 2 days ago. I got back a email (poorly) telling me that i wasn't in stock and they'll ship it to me once it is. Now I realise this was a terrible idea as I shouldn't have ordered until it was confirmed but it's a bit late now.

I had the same problem with Hongkongeek. I cancelled, as they couldn't tell me how long I'd be waiting for it to come back in stock. Went with this one on ebay instead. Delivery times quoted on this one are better than hongkongeek too which is nice.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/JIAYU-G3S-4-5-IPS-Retina-Screen-Quad-Core-Android-4-2-Smartphone-/231003043974

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/JIAYU-G3S-4-5-IPS-Retina-Screen-4-Core-3G-GPS-Android-4-2-Smartphone-/221243380543

I had the a820 and loved it, ive the a830 now and that has the flash on the camera.

i think the a830's 5" screen might be a tad too big for me, im also not seeing any proper reviews, but seeing there have been issues getting play store on it, as well as you were saying about having to input contacts manually?

there isnt a real alternative to the a820 with flash is there? the jiayu g3 has issues with the gps, and most of the time, i just dont have the time to be playing around to get the gps going when in the car.

ill have a look at sites, but definitely need to find a rom that is nearly pure vanilla. i know CM 10.1 isnt an option on these phones yet, as it does not support dual sim yet.

Definitely cancel before the Paypal period expires where you can get your money back.

had a look around, as i was not entirely convinced regarding the a820. it seems the jiayu g3s appears to be the best option - can anyone tell me the best place to buy at the best price? i know im probably going to get hit by customs, (ill order via dhl - to get it faster) but id rather get it over and done with for the best price/service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Aliexpress maybe? Just make sure the seller has good feedback and you should be fine

Aliexpress maybe? Just make sure the seller has good feedback and you should be fine

will have a look. theres a chance mixeshop might have in stock.

couple of questions:

does the 3g work ok? ie, i believe ireland is 900/1800/2100(umts)

has anybody ordered the g3s and any bugs or niggles found? also, anybody hit by duty, if yes, around how much was it?

the ebay link seems handy enough, i believe its going to be 40 euros ish duty/tax/vat on this. hopefully they ship fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

I have a Newman n2 and a jiayu g3 and think both are great phones.

The Newman has the Samsung quadcore processor and flys through everything but does heat up a lot. Camera on it is 13 meg Sony camera and is truly a great camera much better than jiayu g3 which is by no way a bad camera.

I prefer the screen on the g3 and the battery is great and I have had no problems with it at all.

I got both reasonably hassle free from merimobiles but got hit by customs on both.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I just got an iOcean X7 this morning, paid €160 for the phone and then €40 to customs, must say thought the phone is pretty fantastic thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

Thargor wrote: »
    Definitely cancel before the Paypal period expires where you can get your money back.
    I emailed them asking when it would be in stock and they said in 2 days. I just emailed them again asking to confirm that i would receive it by a certain day, taking in to account the shipping time and if they replied with any sort of funny business I was going to cancel the order.
    How long is that paypal period?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement