Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ra0044 wrote: »
    I have a Newman n2 and a jiayu g3 and think both are great phones.

The Newman has the Samsung quadcore processor and flys through everything but does heat up a lot. Camera on it is 13 meg Sony camera and is truly a great camera much better than jiayu g3 which is by no way a bad camera.

I prefer the screen on the g3 and the battery is great and I have had no problems with it at all.

I got both reasonably hassle free from merimobiles but got hit by customs on both.

Was gonna get the newman myself, can you review it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Bit of a noob question but is Android 4.2 (and Android 5 when it eventually comes out) going to be available as a ROM for the Jiayu G3(N) eventually or is there some sort of technical limitation that means it won't happen/the people developing ROMs won't be bothered?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bit of a noob question but is Android 4.2 (and Android 5 when it eventually comes out) going to be available as a ROM for the Jiayu G3(N) eventually or is there some sort of technical limitation that means it won't happen/the people developing ROMs won't be bothered?

If Jiayu or another developer release a 4.3 or 5.0 rom then it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

Was gonna get the newman myself, can you review it?

I will try to write a review tomorrow.

But so far would really recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Jiayu seem to be only looking forward and not concentrating too much on their older models. Example original G3 (released 3rd 1/4 2012) had original 4.0.4 ICS rom, and to date have only release a beta 4.1.2 JB rom (released 1st 1/4 2013). I think they are now on their 4th (each with a different CPU, therefor new operating system eachtime) G3 sinice initial realese and model is only 8 Months old?

Based on this I would not count on them going back to upgrade older models models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Just ordered a Black Jiayu G3S from Hongkongeek, messaged them to make sure its in stock before I bought it so I should have it sometime next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

T-Bird wrote: »
    Jiayu seem to be only looking forward and not concentrating too much on their older models. Example original G3 (released 3rd 1/4 2012) had original 4.0.4 ICS rom, and to date have only release a beta 4.1.2 JB rom (released 1st 1/4 2013). I think they are now on their 4th (each with a different CPU, therefor new operating system eachtime) G3 sinice initial realese and model is only 8 Months old?

Based on this I would not count on them going back to upgrade older models models.

I get that Jaiyu wouldn't be bothered I was just wondering do the 3rd party lads typically keep making new ROMs. I suppose there are plenty of other phones about for them to experiment with so attention spans are short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Just ordered a Black Jiayu G3S from Hongkongeek, messaged them to make sure its in stock before I bought it so I should have it sometime next week

how much did you pay for it? how are you getting it delivered? i am trying to get it from mixeshop and they are quoting me 210 dollars incl dhl shipping, however ordering from their site with paypal and dhl is costing 208. something aint adding up here, even if they are talking about paypal fees in this.

I might get it from hongkongeek if the feedback appears good

Spipov wrote: »
    how much did you pay for it? how are you getting it delivered? i am trying to get it from mixeshop and they are quoting me 210 dollars incl dhl shipping, however ordering from their site with paypal and dhl is costing 208. something aint adding up here, even if they are talking about paypal fees in this.

I might get it from hongkongeek if the feedback appears good

The final price from Hongkongeek was around €185 with DHL shipping, and they payback the customs,

If you get it from Mixeshop don't forget the customs will be somewhere around €40 on top of the final price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The final price from Hongkongeek was around €185 with DHL shipping, and they payback the customs,

If you get it from Mixeshop don't forget the customs will be somewhere around €40 on top of the final price
    I got the lenovo 820 from them and dhl wanted €68 in charges:(

• Advertisement

I got the lenovo 820 from them and dhl wanted €68 in charges:(

was that with hongkongeek or mixeshop?

seriously, hongkongeek paid back the customs? how did you manage to get that sorted?

seriously, hongkongeek paid back the customs? how did you manage to get that sorted?

It says on their website they pay back the customs duty when you send them proof

http://www.hongkongeek.co.uk/content/8-CUSTOMS-DUTY-FREE-VAT-PAID-BACK

thanks. although there are some pretty bad reviews from french sites, i believe the fact they are paying back the duty makes them the best bet. they are however 20 dollars more expensive than others for the item. 185 euros however does not sound too bad. i dont think they root it though, so will need to research that

Guys to avoid customs ask them to mark the items 2nd hand;)

mick, where did you order from generally? merimobiles/mixeshop?

mick, where did you order from generally? merimobiles/mixeshop?

Twice from Merimobiles with no charges :)

thanks. although there are some pretty bad reviews from french sites, i believe the fact they are paying back the duty makes them the best bet. they are however 20 dollars more expensive than others for the item. 185 euros however does not sound too bad. i dont think they root it though, so will need to research that

I messaged them a few times before I bought it asking different questions and they don't come rooted

The easiest way to root it yourself is by doing this
    http://droidchina.com/forum/Thread-Auto-Root-MTK6589-One-click-root

Twice from Merimobiles with no charges :)

hmm.

merimobiles $223 incl dhl shipping (~ €170)
    mixeshop $210 incl dhl shipping (~ €160)
    hongkongeek $230 incl dhl shipping (and they might pay customs back) (~€176)

Customs, if you get hit with that, would cost ~ €40.

i get the impression hongkongeek might be winning this

If you're going to order it from Hongkongeek order it soon while they still have it in stock

I got a case for it on Aliexpress too
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-JIAYU-G3-Case-Black-Brow-Green-Blue-JIAYU-G3-screen-protector-Jiayu-G3-cover-Jiayu/830463697.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I get that Jaiyu wouldn't be bothered I was just wondering do the 3rd party lads typically keep making new ROMs. I suppose there are plenty of other phones about for them to experiment with so attention spans are short.

All the third party roms are based on current versions with a few modifications here and there.
    The "big" third party developers for some reason tend to stay away from processors starting with "mtk". The only official third party developer seems to be Lewa.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

mayordenis wrote: »
    I just got an iOcean X7 this morning, paid €160 for the phone and then €40 to customs, must say thought the phone is pretty fantastic thus far.

Where can I buy this?
    Is it worth it?

Any chance of some pics of the phone on , it would be great!

Did anybody get delivery via dhl? If yes, how do they handle paying duty? Do they deliver then bill you?or send a letter saying they have ur stuff, so pay up? Im not sure how this works...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

has anyone ever actually reclaimed the VAT from hongkongeek?

also - tallaghtmick, do you ask the vendors to mark the package "used"?

loyatemu wrote: »
    has anyone ever actually reclaimed the VAT from hongkongeek?

also - tallaghtmick, do you ask the vendors to mark the package "used"?

Yeh just send an email with your order num.

Yeh just send an email with your order num.

How do u usually get your deliveries?ems or dhl? Just wondering how u pay for the vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I bought from mixeshop.

I checked my dhl tracking and when I saw it cleared dhl imports I called them to pay over the phone. they give you a reference for the driver to say you paid.

the alternative was pay the driver.

How do u usually get your deliveries?ems or dhl? Just wondering how u pay for the vat

DHL mate :)

Happy days phone was actually rooted all along, turns out the had a ****e Chinese superuser that I obviously couldnt read so when I tried updating the normal SU it deleted the ****e one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 potholes84

If anybody is interested I emailed merimobiles earlier and both G4 and G3S is in stock. I went ahead and ordered a G4.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement