Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

potholes84 wrote: »
    If anybody is interested I emailed merimobiles earlier and both G4 and G3S is in stock. I went ahead and ordered a G4.

Is that the Young or the Turbo version?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 potholes84

Is that the Young or the Turbo version?

It's the young version. Turbo hasn't been released yet as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Ah, yeah I figured it'd be the Youth but its always best to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Im buying today as i didnt see a reason to pay friday as they wouldnt be shipping for a while.

One important question, whats the call quality on these chinese android phones? Will use this for work so it needs to be decent. I guess it doesnt have 2 mics with noise cancellation? Im looking at jiayu g3s from hongkongeek. I dont mind getting something else a little more expensive, though hongkongeek dont have a big selection.

Ive factored in duty in other places, hence why id rather get something from them. Screen has to be max 4.7. Anything bigger will be bigger than my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Spipov wrote: »
    Im buying today as i didnt see a reason to pay friday as they wouldnt be shipping for a while.

One important question, whats the call quality on these chinese android phones? Will use this for work so it needs to be decent. I guess it doesnt have 2 mics with noise cancellation? Im looking at jiayu g3s from hongkongeek. I dont mind getting something else a little more expensive, though hongkongeek dont have a big selection.

Ive factored in duty in other places, hence why id rather get something from them. Screen has to be max 4.7. Anything bigger will be bigger than my face.

Some tiny face on ye there, call quality is class on my Lenovo better than some ive had before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Some tiny face on ye there, call quality is class on my Lenovo better than some ive had before.

ditto.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Decent bargain alert for the Acer Liquid E2 this morning:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056992918

Especially since a Cyanogenmod is being released for it soon.

EDIT: No expandable memory and crappy screen rez means this isnt as good as I thought...

Thargor wrote: »

having ordered the jiayu g3s this am, i nearly felt sick looking at this. however i am reading the reviews for it, and although it seems quite decent, i still believe the jiayu has a slight edge apart from the cyanogenmod part as well as the stock gapps having been installed.

ill just eat my sour grapes though.

If you only ordered this morning you still have a couple of days to cancel, just send a couple of emails a day until they do it for you, order the ACER in the meantime. Both good phones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Any links to the talk of CM for it?

Gonna be buying a phone soon for my OH, she has an Acer Liquid Metal the last few years and it seems bulletproof tbh.... considering its been flushed down a toilet twice and lay in a pool of beer overnight it still works!

Now its time for an upgrade, but my only issue with her old one is a serious lack of dev support for the phone, bar feck all mods of the stock ROM there was never even a fully working CM7 on there, so I would be hesitant to buy Acer again to be honest...

Dunno whether to go 170 ish Chinese or put the extra dollar to this, my only concern is lack of devs....

Anyone else any input on these?

• Advertisement

Just in that BA thread he says CM is on the way, ask him.

TBH dev Support since Jellybean isnt really as big an issue anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I'm not sure on how much rom development there is for MTK processors, I feed read that there wasn't on a CM forum. But that post might not be correct the correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Fieldog wrote: »
    Any links to the talk of CM for it?

Gonna be buying a phone soon for my OH, she has an Acer Liquid Metal the last few years and it seems bulletproof tbh.... considering its been flushed down a toilet twice and lay in a pool of beer overnight it still works!

Now its time for an upgrade, but my only issue with her old one is a serious lack of dev support for the phone, bar feck all mods of the stock ROM there was never even a fully working CM7 on there, so I would be hesitant to buy Acer again to be honest...

Dunno whether to go 170 ish Chinese or put the extra dollar to this, my only concern is lack of devs....

Anyone else any input on these?

This months issue (27) of Android Magazine has a review of the Acer Liquid E2 and compares it with other £250 or less android phones, the Sony Xperia L, Huawei Ascend G510 and Prestigio Multiphone 4500 and The Acer Liquid E2 is the winner,

The article says its a good phone but it only comes with 4GB of storage with 3GB availabe to users, and has no expandable memory, the screen resulution is 540x960 with a PPI of 245 and the battery is 2000mAh,

The processor speed, ram and cameras are the same but I think the Jiayu G3s would be better, it has support for Micro SD up to 32GB, 1280x720 screen resolution with a PPI of 326, It has some custom roms already available for it, the battery is 2750mAh and its cheaper than the Acer

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines/android-magazine/android-magazine-issue-27.html

Didnt even look at the screen rez! I wouldnt buy that Acer now actually.

Didnt even look at the screen rez! I wouldnt buy that Acer now actually.

no expandable memory, wouldnt even be able to install a gps app! i had an old acer dual sim before i think, windows ce 5 or 6, i cant remember. i hated it - constantly crashing i think or something wouldnt work.

ive gone off acer for a lot of things. but again, the jiayu appears to be the better deal, so i am happy with that. there is just something about that acer that doesnt sit right, and those speakers at the back are god.awful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No micro SD card support and lower screen resolution kills the Acer for me. Can't wait to get my G3S.

No micro SD card support and lower screen resolution kills the Acer for me. Can't wait to get my G3S.

where and when did you order yours? ordered mine hongkongeek this morning. will need to look into rooting, removing chinese crap and adding play store soon

paid 229$ total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

where and when did you order yours? ordered mine hongkongeek this morning. will need to look into rooting, removing chinese crap and adding play store soon

paid 229$ total

I ordered a G3S from hongkongeek on friday and got an email today to say its out of stock:mad:

I got the rubber case for it today though

It's supposed to come with the play store already on it

This is how to root it
    http://droidchina.com/forum/Thread-Auto-Root-MTK6589-One-click-root

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Got my Cubot GT99, havin a few issues though with the sound. The person on the other end cant hear me properly.....does anyone know if there is a few settings i need to tweek. Im on meteor

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

paid 229$ total

I originally ordered one from Hongkongeek as well. I waited about 4 days and it was still preparing so I emailed them about it and it was out of stock. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that at any stage. I bought one from ebay instead. It came to just under €180 with currency conversion fees.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/JIAYU-G3S-4-5-IPS-Retina-Screen-4-Core-3G-GPS-Android-4-2-Smartphone-/221243380543?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item338322133f

• Advertisement

I originally ordered one from Hongkongeek as well. I waited about 4 days and it was still preparing so I emailed them about it and it was out of stock. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that at any stage. I bought one from ebay instead. It came to just under €180 with currency conversion fees.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/JIAYU-G3S-4-5-IPS-Retina-Screen-4-Core-3G-GPS-Android-4-2-Smartphone-/221243380543?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item338322133f

this is mighty annoying. on friday they said it was in stock. ill email them and see what they say.

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Got my Cubot GT99, havin a few issues though with the sound. The person on the other end cant hear me properly.....does anyone know if there is a few settings i need to tweek. Im on meteor

Is the sound distorted?

Is the sound distorted?

Its all good on my side but whoever i ring is saying that the volume is too low and also there is a muffled sound in the background. Its like as if the volume is too sensitive because its picking up background noise. I used the headphones and it seems a bit better

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Its all good on my side but whoever i ring is saying that the volume is too low and also there is a muffled sound in the background. Its like as if the volume is too sensitive because its picking up background noise. I used the headphones and it seems a bit better

Could be a poor mic maybe:confused:

Could be a poor mic maybe:confused:

Thats what it seems like considering it is better through the headphone mic. thats a balls if it is, not gonna send it back considering the amount of time it took to get here

Blow hard as you can into the mic from all possible angles, give it a good tap on the table in between blows, if you're not returning it you might aswell open it and see if there's anything around the mic on the inside, try to find an updated rom or revert to an old rom if you're up to date and see if that fixes it.

Blow hard as you can into the mic from all possible angles, give it a good tap on the table in between blows, if you're not returning it you might aswell open it and see if there's anything around the mic on the inside, try to find an updated rom or revert to an old rom if you're up to date and see if that fixes it.

Cheers, anything is worth a try

Also look for apps that might fix it.

Also look for apps that might fix it.

Had a look for apps but couldnt find anything. Had a good look inside the opening of the microphone and doesnt seem like thats the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a forum on Modaco now for the Vowney/Verne V5 and some dev work ongoing (by G300 stalwart Tillaz, who doesn't even have the phone...). I think poor mic performance is one of the issues that they've been trying to address.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement