Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

So I used the phone for about 5 mins before plugging it in to charge, where I'm leaving it until full.

I can say straight off the bat that as reported the rear camera is definitely not a 13mp Sony camera, or if it is, Sony are dreadful at making mobile cameras :) I'll throw up some photos later but in my current low light setting I can say the camera looks frankly poor. Photos are not appearing sharp.

In terms of other accessories, they provided an additional screen protector, a usb charging cable, a two pronged usb plug and an Irish plug adapter for it, and a user manual which surprisingly is in English!

The battery was also in the box and not already in the phone.

Performance has so far been smooth, I noticed no lag in my few mins of testing and as advertised it is running stock android 4.4 . Build quality is good, it does have a cheapish feel especially the flimsy back cover, and the vibration feels strange (hard to explain).

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Bobby,

Can you test the headphone jack to see if its working ok? Also with the free sandstone case can you see if the volume up button sticks,
    thanks

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Bobby,

Can you test the headphone jack to see if its working ok? Also with the free sandstone case can you see if the volume up button sticks,
    thanks

I didn't get a free sandstone case because I did not order it between the promotional dates.

The headphone jack is working fine although I can see why some people might have had problems with it as it can feel like your earphones are connected even though they may need to be pushed in just a little bit further into the jack

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

I know someone who has a spare ulephone be pro official flip case for sale if anyone is interested. PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Hi guys, just received my Jaiyu S3 3gb ram and its quite a nice feel to it. Can anyone tell me how to put Google play store on it. It has a browser installed and when I search play store,it tells me it is already installed. When I search Firefox the browser says web page unavailable. It has baida installed,which I know nothing about. If anyone has one of these phones I would be interested in same.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

does it definitely not have google play installed?

You can search your android version, probably 4.4.4 gapps and flash that in recovery.

Not sure if the S3 is on lollipop yet.

Where did you buy it from and how much? a review of the phone would be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Yes its 4.4.4. I don't know anything about gapps. Or flashing. But went on android authority and have downloaded apk Google play store, I have installed this and have an icon for play store,but it doesn't seem to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

horse7 wrote: »
    Yes its 4.4.4. I don't know anything about gapps. Or flashing. But went on android authority and have downloaded apk Google play store, I have installed this and have an icon for play store,but it doesn't seem to open.

Theres more files needed, best to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Just looking at buying a tablet, it has jelly bean on it, how big an issue is this for security??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any links Ardennes? Interested in getting one myself for light use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Just looking at buying a tablet, it has jelly bean on it, how big an issue is this for security??

Wrong thread, this is the 'Chinese Android Phones' thread, now if it was a Phablet you might be ok to ask but not if it is a tablet!! :D

* I don't actually know the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

horse7 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just received my Jaiyu S3 3gb ram and its quite a nice feel to it. Can anyone tell me how to put Google play store on it. It has a browser installed and when I search play store,it tells me it is already installed. When I search Firefox the browser says web page unavailable. It has baida installed,which I know nothing about. If anyone has one of these phones I would be interested in same.thanks

where did you buy from?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

I am thinking to buy one phone on antelife.com from their German warehouse.
    Did somebody use this site and what is expirience with them?

http://www.antelife.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Haven't used them personally but they are one of the better known shops. You're probably safe enough with them. Post the phone you're interested in if you want advice on it

Update: I really like my Ulefone Be Pro

Pros:
    -Good build quality and design (Feels premium)
    -Runs smoothly (Apart from Firefox which crashes randomly)
    -Good front facing camera
    -Price
    -16gb ROM
    -Stock android 4.4.4 with ota to 5.0

Cons:
    -Back camera is actually an 8mp and barely looks it at that
    -Firefox crashes randomly
    -Headphone jack is flimsy
    -Phone buttons don't light up

Any questions for me go ahead please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmct

where did you buy from and how much.

seamusmct wrote: »
    where did you buy from and how much.

Hi Seamus I bought it from deals machine and it came to 141 euro and an extra 39.50 in customs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmct

best of luck with it,seem like a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

Haven't used them personally but they are one of the better known shops. You're probably safe enough with them. Post the phone you're interested in if you want advice on it
    I want to buy Thl W200c it is 119e plus 19e delivery charges. But now they give 18e off discount code for this phone but only in spain warehouse. And Spanish warehouse doesn't send to Ireland. Only German warehouse send phones to Ireland. And this code is not valid for German warehouse. I will wait maybe it will be valid for german warehouse in the future.
    http://www.antelife.com/thl-w200c-mtk6592m-octa-core-android-4-2-5-0-inch-gorilla-glass-otg-1gb-8gb-3g-smartphone-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

bondja80 wrote: »
    I want to buy Thl W200c it is 119e plus 19e delivery charges. But now they give 18e off discount code for this phone but only in spain warehouse. And Spanish warehouse doesn't send to ireland. Only German warehouse send phones to Ireland. And this code is not valid for German warehouse. I will wait maybe it will be valid for german warehouse in the future.
    http://www.antelife.com/thl-w200c-mtk6592m-octa-core-android-4-2-5-0-inch-gorilla-glass-otg-1gb-8gb-3g-smartphone-black.html

The battery is horrendous, just so that you're aware

Update: I really like my Ulefone Be Pro

Pros:
    -Good build quality and design (Feels premium)
    -Runs smoothly (Apart from Firefox which crashes randomly)
    -Good front facing camera
    -Price
    -16gb ROM
    -Stock android 4.4.4 with ota to 5.0

Cons:
    -Back camera is actually an 8mp and barely looks it at that
    -Firefox crashes randomly
    -Headphone jack is flimsy
    -Phone buttons don't light up

Any questions for me go ahead please.

How is the GPS and the battery life for you ?

Some reports of a red area showing up on photos (fixed in later firmware) and reports of random freezing and rebooting (not everybody is getting these), are you having any of that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Just a quick question for you guys. Sorry to drag up the whole duty thing again but would someone be able to tell me if the €25 limit applies to individual item values or overall order value? I want to order a few items from gearbest which are all under $15 value but I was wondering if I would be better off making 4 individual transactions all under €25 or a single transactions for several items which are each under the €25 limit but overall transaction value would obviously be over the €25 limit. Thanks in advance for any advise

johnybean wrote: »
    Just a quick question for you guys. Sorry to drag up the whole duty thing again but would someone be able to tell me if the €25 limit applies to individual item values or overall order value? I want to order a few items from gearbest which are all under $15 value but I was wondering if I would be better off making 4 individual transactions all under €25 or a single transactions for several items which are each under the €25 limit but overall transaction value would obviously be over the €25 limit. Thanks in advance for any advise

Chinese android phones under $15 on gearbest ??? Where where :D

Individual transactions if it is free shipping that you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

eamonnq wrote: »
    Chinese android phones under $15 on gearbest ??? Where where :D

Individual transactions if it is free shipping that you are using.

Thanks for the reply Eamon and sorry for getting your hopes up, its phone accessories that I am looking at at the moment :o

eamonnq wrote: »
    How is the GPS and the battery life for you ?

Some reports of a red area showing up on photos (fixed in later firmware) and reports of random freezing and rebooting (not everybody is getting these), are you having any of that ?

Battery life has been good and I'll try out the Gps today on bus

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

dedaw wrote: »
    Thl 5000 or elephone p5000. Throw in the umi zero as well.
    I'm really interested in people's opinions on the gps of these phones. Good bad or ugly?!

I've the Elephone P5000, haven't done any extensive testing yet, but GPS looks solid enough. On first power up, it pinpointed my location, and I was indoors at the time. Will do some more testing with the ViewRanger app and Sygic navigation.

GPS working fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hi Bobby, what network do you use it with? I've looked at http://www.willmyphonework.net/, but i'm not 100% sure it's accurate.

I'd be using it on vodafone or possibly tesco (work and personal phone).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement