Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

What a beauty on spec and price anyway. Even though I'm eyeing up the Umi Zero, handling a One Plus One makes me think 5.5 is too big for me.
    Plus on prepay LTE would tear my credit a new one anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    What a beauty on spec and price anyway. Even though I'm eyeing up the Umi Zero, handling a One Plus One makes me think 5.5 is too big for me.
    Plus on prepay LTE would tear my credit a new one anyway!

Some of the providers don't even offer 4G on prepay, you have to go Billpay to avail of the 4G.

Went to get a PAYG sim from Vodafone for a broadband dongle, and they said 4G was only available if you get the bill option.

Not sure if other providers are the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

What payg provider gives 4G?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Ah well, I have to worry about 4G even less then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You get 4g with 3 for 20 yoyos a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Christ...looks really tempting. Looks a good upgrade on my Neo.

Any support for this brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

dahat wrote: »
    Christ...looks really tempting. Looks a good upgrade on my Neo.

Any support for this brand?

The support of my pocket :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Yea coming from the neo, I'd never buy an unsupported brand again. It's just not worth it. From what I've seen of kingzone, they seem to be very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭dahat

RossieMan wrote: »
    Yea coming from the neo, I'd never buy an unsupported brand again. It's just not worth it. From what I've seen of kingzone, they seem to be very similar.

That's a pity. Think might try wrangle a One plus One off the wife for the birthday. Size of it appeals a lot to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmct

dahat wrote: »
    That's a pity. Think might try wrangle a One plus One off the wife for the birthday. Size of it appeals a lot to me.

i got my oneplus one a few weeks ago,and love it.you deffo wont regret buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

cheers for the info. may well just take the plunge, was looking at etotalk but the chance of customs is a killer.

Did anyone end up buying from the aliexpress dealer recommended by spix?
    Looking at the Jiayu F2 for myself

You get 4g with 3 for 20 yoyos a month.

From the Three website:

4G access is available to all our customers, for free, from January 27th 2014 until June 30th 2015.

From July 1st 2015 4G access will be available for purchase through an add on for €4.99 for Prepay, Bill Pay and Broadband customers.

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Hi there,
    I hope it helps for some to decide.
    Bought it off from adverts.ie more than a month ago.
    Design. Screen 5", I was afraid to find it too big, but couple of days and I used to get to this size. Looks well made, materials are metal/glass. The on-off button is on the left side, under the volume button. After a day it feels right to have it there. The Z cover is cheapish plastic(looks great) but I have to admit it is very useful...as the phone needs some protection...
    With normal daily usage, calls/texts/occasional internet to check emails ect. battery lasts 2 even 3 days. Hard usage- constant surfing/videos/calls/travel drains a battery and need to charge during the day. The charger is fantastic. 15 min brigs it up to 75% battery life. It warms up during charging!!
    Its very slippery! I use the Z cover, as it could fall easily-from my hand...Anyway, screen is vivid and colorful, games-videos-sites are really eye catching. It has two speakers one front one back...I personally cant see any advantage to have one of the speakers on the back side...Extremely loud, on normal level sounds nice.The earphone socket has a little pin which opens the card tray...when I use the earphone, this little pin just waiting to get lost...my suggestion just leave it home...
    OP. Android 4.4.2. At the beginning I lost wifi, after the first week its fine. During a month I had 2 Android robotic kills, after 2 minutes it come alive again, no issues- didn't check what could cause it, but I had 4-5 apps simultaneously running. I had my holiday, switch off-switch off 10 sec and found a carrier, no issues whatsoever.
    I don't play games, can't comment on that.
    Camera. Needs a good set up, I am able to take 10-15 accidental screenshots daily:D The photos taken are fantastic. Front camera 8m, back 16m, just brilliant. Video capturing easy. It has 16gb memory but for a hardcore photo maker I think a good size SD card could help.
    Conclusion. Had a fruit one before for 7-8 years, the last one lasted 5 years but died on me:d So opted for something new...No regret at all. Stylish, easy to use phone. Hope to use it for a couple of years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

eamonnq wrote: »
    From the Three website:

4G access is available to all our customers, for free, from January 27th 2014 until June 30th 2015.

From July 1st 2015 4G access will be available for purchase through an add on for €4.99 for Prepay, Bill Pay and Broadband customers.

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/

They've extended that date twice already though, in June 14 and nov 14.
    Also their AYCE data offering was extended every 6 months / year since it launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I'm looking at this at the moment as a cheap get me buy for a while phone.
    http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_122282.html
    Don't really need 4g or anything bigger than 5 inch. Have had a good look around a few sites but I better check to see if there are any phones around that budget that i've missed.
    (which normally happens when I buy a phone from the east.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

How does this look?
    I thought the 2gb ram version of this phone be near impossible to find but this is my first time to buy from Aliexpress so am I missing something?

That resolution for that screen!

Yep, a few dodgy specs as well, 'MAIN FARMATERS' say 5mp/13mp camera but further down the spec says 2mp/8mp :confused:

Ulefone will be launching a mini version of the Be Pro in the near future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

How does this look?
    I thought the 2gb ram version of this phone be near impossible to find but this is my first time to buy from Aliexpress so am I missing something?

Interested in knowing this also.
    Does it work on Meteor and Three bands as well?

How does this look?

Feedback seems good but you never know really especially with Aliexpress sellers

Microsoft have announced a collaboration of sorts with Xiaomi. Apparently Xiaomi users will be able to flash Windows 10 on their phones sometime in the future

http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-microsoft-barra-595501/

Feedback seems good but you never know really especially with Aliexpress sellers

Roll on Spix :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

KilOit wrote: »
    Interested in knowing this also.
    Does it work on Meteor and Three bands as well?

The 2gb version they're selling is the China Mobile version. It's missing 900mhz 3G band which which is used here. Coverage might be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

spix wrote: »
    The 2gb version they're selling is the China Mobile version. It's missing 900mhz 3G band which which is used here. Coverage might be bad.
    Damn. Was looking for a decent Chinese phone that isn't too big, this looked to be it! :(

I need a phone that's around 5" display or less and works on Meteor, anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just in case anyone is interested. Got an Umi Zero for my wife so she could have her work and home sims in the one phone.

The screen is gorgeous for such a low cost phone. It really is super sharp. It is ridiculously slim and thin. The only issue with the build is that is quite slippy. I'm fairly sure I've seen it slide on a flat surface so a case will be needed.

Now, the software was different. While I was testing it out the wifi performance was terrible. Weak signal, constantly dropping connections, or not seeing networks. Call quality was rubbish too.

After some reading I flashed a MIUI rom. Everything works like a dream now. It's fast, responsive and has had no wireless issues what so ever.

So, a great phone to get but you make need to do some techy work to get it going properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

fixxxer wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is interested. Got an Umi Zero for my wife so she could have her work and home sims in the one phone.

The screen is gorgeous for such a low cost phone. It really is super sharp. It is ridiculously slim and thin. The only issue with the build is that is quite slippy. I'm fairly sure I've seen it slide on a flat surface so a case will be needed.

Now, the software was different. While I was testing it out the wifi performance was terrible. Weak signal, constantly dropping connections, or not seeing networks. Call quality was rubbish too.

After some reading I flashed a MIUI rom. Everything works like a dream now. It's fast, responsive and has had no wireless issues what so ever.

So, a great phone to get but you make need to do some techy work to get it going properly.

What's the camera like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Im looking for a second phone and this looks good for the price,has anybody bought from this place before what's it like with delivery etc?

• Advertisement

Im looking for a second phone and this looks good for the price,has anybody bought from this place before what's it like with delivery etc?

Think the price has gone up since I posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement