Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

gn3dr wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking for some feedback - hopefully from people with experience of these phones.
    I currently have a Moto G 4G for about the last year. Moved to it from a HTC Desire HD which I had a number of years. Happy with the Moto but I'm toying with the idea of a larger screen. Thinking about 5" but a few of these 5.5" phones caught my eye. (Although I'm still on the fence about whether 5.5" is just too big for a phone.)

Looking at sub €200 phones only. I know everyone recommends the oneplusone and money no object I would probably try it out....

Looking at what seems to be somewhat known brands which would people recommend.

The Ulefone be Pro
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Ulefone-Be-Pro-5-5--Android-Phone-2GB-16GB-IPS-HD-Screen-64-bit-4G-LTE-Smartphone-MTK6732-Quad-Core-1-5GHz-13-0MP--Dark-Blue-340268.html

or the Xioami RedMI note
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/XIAOMI-Hongmi-Note-4G-Snapdragon-MSM8928-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-5-5-Inch-Smartphone-2GB-RAM-HD-IPS-13-0MP-GPS-OTG---White-332910.html
    (although what is making me hesitate on this is reading somewhere that it doesn't have Gorilla glass)

the Elefone http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Elephone-P6000-4G-1280x780-Pixels-MTK6732-Quad-Core-1-5GHz-5-0-Inch-Smartphone-Android-4-4-2GB-16GB-13-0MP-IPS---White-338224.html

or maybe this one? http://www.coolicool.com/kingzone-z1-mtk6752-octa-core-55-inch-ips-ogs-hd-screen-android-44-4g-lte-android-smartphone-g-35420

Key things for me (in no particular order) are
    1. Best battery life I can get
    2. Good camera
    3. 4G - might as well future proof myself
    4. Tough screen
    5. SD card slot
    6. Reliable - I've had a Chinese tablet before which was grand once rooted and played with a bit - but I don't want to have to waste time playing with something like this. I want it to work out of the box.

Any ideas? Would also appreciate feedback on the best place to buy these?

So, after all that, any inputs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

gn3dr wrote: »
    So, after all that, any inputs?

I am not sure how many of them will be sub 200euro, if you allow for paying vat on them when they do arrive into Ireland.

Ulefone BePro is a good phone IMO but the camera apparently leave a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I just pre-ordered a Mlais M52 from the site which shall not be named for $136, with a discount code. Definitely won't measure up to the phones you've picked out, but given the price I couldn't resist! You can purchase it from geekbuying for $147.99 if you pre-order before the end of the month (or various other outlets for $149.99, I'm not a shill!:p)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Simi wrote: »
    I just pre-ordered a Mlais M52 from the site which shall not be named for $136, with a discount code. Definitely won't measure up to the phones you've picked out, but given the price I couldn't resist! You can purchase it from geekbuying for $147.99 if you pre-order before the end of the month (or various other outlets for $149.99, I'm not a shill!:p)
    4G is nice for that price... but once again I wouldn't touch anything without Gorilla glass. I just don't think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    4G is nice for that price... but once again I wouldn't touch anything without Gorilla glass. I just don't think it's worth it.

I'm going to be extra careful with it! ;)
    I'm kinda hoping it'll gain enough popularity to entice someone, to make a tempered glass screen protector for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

SM97 wrote: »
    Are there any Chinese phones out/coming soon with 4GB of RAM inside them? Would love to try out such a beast! :D

I'm pretty sure the Xiaomi MiNote has 4gb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yep, www. gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_note_pro-6952.php

Would love to try it out! No card slot though :(

One or the other mate :D 64gb who the hell needs an SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Me! Love my card :D

Slows the OS down also, why would you? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmct

You guys should check out these phones,good specs on a budget. JIAYU F2,ECCO AURORA,THL2015,Gionee Elife E7,Lenovo Note8 A936

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

seamusmct wrote: »
    You guys should check out these phones,good specs on a budget. JIAYU F2,ECCO AURORA,THL2015,Gionee Elife E7,Lenovo Note8 A936

Ignoring all our posts Seamus? Or Tom?

Whatever you seem to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

seamusmct wrote: »

Can any mod not just outright perma ban this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

You need to report him.

Edit account is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

He really needs to do work on his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

corwill wrote:
    What's the camera like?

Camera seems to be pretty good at least where there is decent light. Focus is quick and colour reproduction very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

Ordered a cubot x9 from gearbest on march 2nd for €116, shipping slow mail via Netherlands. Arrived today, no fees which is a bonus.

Very happy with initial feel of it and amount of available storage at 13gb for a 16gb phone, and camera seems to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Ordered a cubot x9 from gearbest on march 2nd for €116, shipping slow mail via Netherlands. Arrived today, no fees which is a bonus.

Very happy with initial feel of it and amount of available storage at 13gb for a 16gb phone, and camera seems to be good too.

If you buy via Netherlands post, does that mean you're guaranteed to avoid customs fees? Is Netherlands mail an option on all their items?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

If you buy via Netherlands post, does that mean you're guaranteed to avoid customs fees? Is Netherlands mail an option on all their items?

I bought a €40 item from them using Netherlands post and got caught for customs,so i wouldn't count on not getting caught

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whats happening

wiz569 wrote: »
    I bought a €40 item from them using Netherlands post and got caught for customs,so i wouldn't count on not getting caught

2nd phone I've bought since Nov on gearbest (landovo L200 for wife) both via Netherlands post and both avoided customs, but pure luck I'd say

Ordered a cubot x9 from gearbest on .
    2nd phone I've bought since Nov on gearbest

You must be new around these parts...............2 posts mentioning the seller who should not be named ??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057399212

:D Am starting to see them everywhere now!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Dan_Solo wrote: »

So do all mainstream phones from the "famous" brands have gorilla glass now, is it significantly better, genuinely know nothing about gorilla glass, they don't really mention it on the mobile networks shop websites do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Thargor wrote: »
    New bezelless (sp?) Oppo on the way:

Very nice...

... until you drop it on its side!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Yep, I prefer to have some bezel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stick a tough case on it :D

Elephone P6000 fulfilled by amazon. I presume this means its UK stock? Can't be delivered to Ireland though so you have to go parcel motel route I suppose. Works out at ~€163 + whatever the parcel motel fee is?? Not bad if it's coming from the UK, fast delivery, no customs, amazon guarantee.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEPHONE-Android-KitKat-Smartphone-MTK6732/dp/B00U8NASTC/ref=sr_1_25?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1427236139&sr=1-25

Elephone P6000 fulfilled by amazon. I presume this means its UK stock? Can't be delivered to Ireland though so you have to go parcel motel route I suppose. Works out at ~€163 + whatever the parcel motel fee is?? Not bad if it's coming from the UK, fast delivery, no customs, amazon guarantee.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEPHONE-Android-KitKat-Smartphone-MTK6732/dp/B00U8NASTC/ref=sr_1_25?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1427236139&sr=1-25

Looks like it might be coming from China
    Seller details:

Business Name: Shenzhen Digital Era Co., Ltd.
    Business Type: Ltd.
    Trade Register Number: 440301103047509
    Business Address:
    409_517, Huafabei Road
    Futian District
    Shenzhen
    Guangdong
    CN

but it says fulfilled by Amazon and should be subject to the delivery options:

INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY OPTIONS
    FREE Super Saver Delivery to the Republic of Ireland
    Other International Delivery Options

eamonnq wrote: »
    Looks like it might be coming from China
    Seller details:

Business Name: Shenzhen Digital Era Co., Ltd.
    Business Type: Ltd.
    Trade Register Number: 440301103047509
    Business Address:
    409_517, Huafabei Road
    Futian District
    Shenzhen
    Guangdong
    CN

but it says fulfilled by Amazon and should be subject to the delivery options:

INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY OPTIONS
    FREE Super Saver Delivery to the Republic of Ireland
    Other International Delivery Options

Asked amazon chat and they said it would be delivered from their UK base. I'd rather buy from the UK or EU than China, even if it costs a little more. This is right at the limit of my budget, so this, the moto G, or something else?

After a few weeks now Im starting to get annoyed with the Elephone p6000, the manky screen and terrible battery life are too much for me, hoping the 5.0 update changes the battery life.
    Asked amazon chat and they said it would be delivered from their UK base. I'd rather buy from the UK or EU than China, even if it costs a little more. This is right at the limit of my budget, so this, the moto G, or something else?

You could ask Mick if he is selling his one.

I still like the Ulefone BePro (5.5inch, not a great camera as the camera is not as advertised).

eamonnq wrote: »
    You could ask Mick if he is selling his one.

Yikes @ that review!

• Advertisement

I'd rather buy from the UK or EU than China, even if it costs a little more.

Depending on your reasons for preferring to buy from the UK or EU, if it is faster delivery times, you can pay a bit extra to get them here quicker from Chinese sellers, but if it is for other reasons then you might be limited in your choices.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement