Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

eamonnq wrote: »
    Depending on your reasons for preferring to buy from the UK or EU, if it is faster delivery times, you can pay a bit extra to get them here quicker from Chinese sellers, but if it is for other reasons then you might be limited in your choices.

The ease of returning it if it's faulty would be the main thing.

Even so, by the time you pay extra for courier from China, and pay duty (which I presume there's no escaping once you go by courier), wouldn't you be paying as much as you'd be paying to an EU/UK seller? I know you obviously have a much better selection available from China though.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

So, I'm planning on purchasing my first Android phone of Chinese origin. My current Lumia 620 is on its death bed so I would like to get a replacement as soon as possible, ideally from an EU based supplier, and at a price point of around €200. A decent screen, reasoanble battery life and smooth operation would be great. 4G connectivity would be a bonus./

A little bit of research has narrowed my shortlist down to 3 possible candidates:

- ZTE Blade S6 (€200)
    - UMI Zero (€195)
    - Elephone P6000 (€160)

I would be grateful if someone with experience of one or more of the above could inform me as to how they perform, or indeed suggest if another device may be more suitable.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

If you look a few posts back (#9239) there is mention of the P6000 which might rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Equium wrote:
    - ZTE Blade S6 (€200) - UMI Zero (€195) - Elephone P6000 (€160)

Equium wrote:
    - ZTE Blade S6 (€200) - UMI Zero (€195) - Elephone P6000 (€160)

Check my posts back for an Umi Zero opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

fixxxer wrote: »
    Check my posts back for an Umi Zero opinion.

where did you buy it?

• Advertisement

KilOit wrote:
    where did you buy it?

A friend was in Hong Kong recently so I asked her to bring one back for me. Coolicool had then in the EU warehouse. I believe there is a guy who sells them on adverts.ie who even does same day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

fixxxer wrote: »
    A friend was in Hong Kong recently so I asked her to bring one back for me. Coolicool had then in the EU warehouse. I believe there is a guy who sells them on adverts.ie who even does same day delivery.

Nice phone but doesn't work on LTE bands here?

KilOit wrote:
    Nice phone but doesn't work on LTE bands here?

No idea :) 4G wasn't a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Does the Umi Zero have 4G capability?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Does the Umi Zero have 4G capability?

Pretty sure it doesn't. Shouldn't be a showstopper for most, if you're not streaming a lot of video, I think it makes little enough difference.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Pretty sure it doesn't. Shouldn't be a showstopper for most, if you're not streaming a lot of video, I think it makes little enough difference.

Just the guys above are talking 4G, Im confused :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Ibuygou has crappy service. Bought a $9 tpu case for Redmi 2 which doesn't fit properly causing power button to keep turning screen on/off. First they said they will refund $4 (case really costs $3 from Xiaomi) then came back to me and say they can't but can give me a $4 discount on another case. Then they agreed to send a replacement and closed ticket, next day got an email saying they actually can't as someone in the warehouse thinks I must be lying about the problem. They also suggested I must have bought the wrong case, or there is something wrong with the Redmi 2, anything so they won't have to deal with the problem.

Sticking to aliexpress from now on, even the worst sellers there wouldn't go back on their word twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Very happy with my landvo L200G for the business phone, so im looking around for a new personal phone.

What are thoughts on Lenovo K3 Lemo, will it work on Three network here? Im seeing different specs for frequency with it.

Also looking at getting either that, or a DooGee DG550.

Will just be used for light browsing/FB/outlook.

Thanks,

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Kersh wrote: »
    Very happy with my landvo L200G for the business phone, so im looking around for a new personal phone.

What are thoughts on Lenovo K3 Lemo, will it work on Three network here? Im seeing different specs for frequency with it.

Also looking at getting either that, or a DooGee DG550.

Will just be used for light browsing/FB/outlook.

Thanks,

Stephen.

I looked at the lenovo there, as far as I can see its got TD 4G/LTE, which is no use here, you need FDD. I may be wrong, but I couldn't see FDD mentioned anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I looked at the lenovo there, as far as I can see its got TD 4G/LTE, which is no use here, you need FDD. I may be wrong, but I couldn't see FDD mentioned anywhere.

There's 2 versions of the lenovo k3. FDD one is k30w, it's about 20 euro more expensive.

I like the look of the new Note version of that Lenovo: http://m.gsmarena.com/lenovo_k3_note-7147.php

Meizu, Lenovo and Jiayu have a nice little arms race going with their MT6752 devices.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Did you order this yet ??

Was considering this also

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/8a8d329b

Not yet as the price went up, how much is the phone you linked?

Not yet as the price went up, how much is the phone you linked?

I don't really like linking to where you can buy the things anymore (with all the shills around here!!, I would not like to be under suspicion if a shill showed up in the future for a place I might link to now). :D

http://m.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_z9_max_and_z9_mini_now_official-news-11681.php

Pricey, but interesting. My missus needs a new phone with a decent camera, the Z9 Mini might do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

More or less made up my mind on a P3000 ... where would you recommend buying from?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Got the Gionee Elife E7 this week. I had thought that 5.5" was too big but it's just about right. Using Google Now launcher to hide the worst of the Gionee stock rom (Amigo). With this setup, it's very impressive.
    Screen is bright and detailed (movies look great), camera is the best I've seen on a smartphone (coming from a LG G2). Not sure about battery life but will see how it fares over the next week.
    Apparently it has been updated to Kitkat but will be going no further and doesn't have much of a developer community behind it. No 4G or dual sim, but those weren't important for me.
    Still, for €200 it's a great deal if you don't want/need the latest android version or 4G.

pelemcg wrote:
    Got the Gionee Elife E7 this week. I had thought that 5.5" was too big but it's just about right. Using Google Now launcher to hide the worst of the Gionee stock rom (Amigo). With this setup, it's very impressive. Screen is bright and detailed (movies look great), camera is the best I've seen on a smartphone (coming from a LG G2). Not sure about battery life but will see how it fares over the next week. Apparently it has been updated to Kitkat but will be going no further and doesn't have much of a developer community behind it. No 4G or dual sim, but those weren't important for me. Still, for €200 it's a great deal if you don't want/need the latest android version or 4G.

Was very tempted by that one, the camera gets amazing write ups.

Geek buying. Com have it on discount right now but its from China I think, not an EU warehouse.

m.geekbuying.com/item/Elephone-P3000S-MTK6592-6290-Octa-Core-1-7GHz-Smartphone-5Inch-Android4-4-2GB-RAM-16GB-ROM-FDD-LTE-4G-13-0MP-HD-Screen---White-333172.html

I was just thinking the other day that it would be great if some OEM would fire a MT6752 into a <5" er...

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/03/27/purported-4-7-inch-jiayu-s4-details-revealed-include-64bit-chip-usb-c-and-more/

That potentially ticks a lot of boxes for a few people I know who'd like a decent "smaller" phone. Not too pushed about typeC USB, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

http://dynamic.focalprice.com/MK0368B/Pre_sale_Mlais_M52_5.5_4G_Smartphone_IPS_1280x720_Android_5.0_MTK6752_Octa.html

Excellent specs for very little money. Surely a bargain? I'm still waiting for mine to ship from the site which shall now be named. I'll compare it to my Oneplus One and report my findings whenever it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

corwill wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day that it would be great if some OEM would fire a MT6752 into a <5" er...

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/03/27/purported-4-7-inch-jiayu-s4-details-revealed-include-64bit-chip-usb-c-and-more/

That potentially ticks a lot of boxes for a few people I know who'd like a decent "smaller" phone. Not too pushed about typeC USB, though.

I would love that, I really would. Not confirmed yet though and many comments seem to say its just fake

I would love that, I really would. Not confirmed yet though and many comments seem to say its just fake

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much store by the renders, anyway. But there's definitely an opening for a MT6752 non-phablet device.

Never buy into pre-sale prices they always go up on the release date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

I hate the weak euro. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement