Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

regarding the jiayu g3s. they answered this am saying they are getting supplies tomorrow. ive told them id give it till thursday to make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Spipov wrote: »
    regarding the jiayu g3s. they answered this am saying they are getting supplies tomorrow. ive told them id give it till thursday to make a decision.

very kind of you i'm sure:D

very kind of you i'm sure:D

thats the kindest i could be when they lied to me. plus, money aint growing on trees, if they cant fulfil the order in a timely manner, i need to know, as i am sure itll take time to get the refund back, so i can go looking for another phone.

its just an unfortunate matter of timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

thats the kindest i could be when they lied to me. plus, money aint growing on trees, if they cant fulfil the order in a timely manner, i need to know, as i am sure itll take time to get the refund back, so i can go looking for another phone.

its just an unfortunate matter of timing.

I really hope they dont send you a ****ty copy then :P

I really hope they dont send you a ****ty copy then :P

a ****ty copy of a jiayu? are they actually cloning these? if this happens, its my wife they will deal with. ive had to clear this 20 times with her re budget before getting it.

hell hath no fury like a woman .....

• Advertisement

im debating now over the htc one for €159 and 55 p, for 6 months or wait for the G4 advanced

Any opinions !!!!

the only reason im going chinese is because of the dual sim. otherwise i am quite happy with my nexus 4. i would say the htc one seems to be quite good, particularly with that 6 month offer

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Wish I had looked into more detail about these Chinese phones before I bought the G4. I actually love the phone but the 3g issue is a killer. I didn't realise that you need both 900/2100 MHz for 3g to work in most of Europe apparently and the g4 only has 2100. Is there anyway to fix that with an update or soft mod. If its a harware issue, I'm pretty screwed.

isnt 3g in europe and ireland only at 2100 and gsm at 900/1800 ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

isnt 3g in europe and ireland only at 2100 and gsm at 900/1800 ??

I don't know about the rest of Europe but in Ireland we are only 2100 for 3G. It's the reason 3G coverage is pretty rubbish inside while 2G isn't.

Edit: According to this some EU countries (France, Germany, UK) use 900 as well as 2100 for 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭seanin4711

i dont mind paying my vat but DHL have to send proof of purchase to revenue who take their sweet ass time deciding on how much vat i have to pay.
    it takes as long to get a phone from china as it does for customs to release it.
    not a happy bunny!
    john

DHL claimed that revenue declared it undervalued.
    not sure how!
    sent them on paypal and bank statement.

I will keep on buy
    ing from china and i will use slow mail anymore!

dhl no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

seanin4711 wrote: »
    i dont mind paying my vat but DHL have to send proof of purchase to revenue who take their sweet ass time deciding on how much vat i have to pay.
    it takes as long to get a phone from china as it does for customs to release it.
    not a happy bunny!
    john

not sure how!

I will keep on buy

dhl no thanks

Ive never been stung, prob will be soon so ill keep using DHL.

seanin4711 wrote: »
    not a happy bunny!
    john

not sure how!

I will keep on buy

dhl no thanks

what did you get from where and at what price? this might give all of us an idea of what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭seanin4711

dhl clearing agents for revenue.
    lenovo a830 from merimobiles(sorry for cross posting).
    EMS with china post would be over quicker than DHL and revenue.
    197 usd .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

im debating now over the htc one for €159 and 55 p, for 6 months or wait for the G4 advanced

Any opinions !!!!

Pretty pricey for a monthly bill, but it's only for 6 months I suppose. I had the G3 (just to experiment with Chinese inferior brand phones), was happy enough with it, but then decided to sell it on and purchase an Xperia Z for under 300 brand new.

There's a huge difference in quality obviously and the same would apply for the HTC One. Plus, the delivery to Ireland from China seems troublesome to me. Overall, I'd go with the HTC and quit waiting around for a handset that doesn't have form just yet.

I don't know about the rest of Europe but in Ireland we are only 2100 for 3G. It's the reason 3G coverage is pretty rubbish inside while 2G isn't.

Oh right. It looks like I just got a dodgy phone then. The 2g is fine but with 3g it drops to X for about 5 mins every couple of mins.. Its driving me bananas. Could the custom ROM be affecting this. Going to get onto Spemall tonight about it but don't know how helpful they'll be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Oh right. It looks like I just got a dodgy phone then. The 2g is fine but with 3g it drops to X for about 5 mins every couple of mins.. Its driving me bananas. Could the custom ROM be affecting this. Going to get onto Spemall tonight about it but don't know how helpful they'll be.

The custom room definitely could.

Good to know, cheers.. I won't give up hope just yet so.. Even though, that HTC one offer is fairly tempting at the moment...

i'm out of the running (for now)

I pushed the button on the O2 HTC One deal for 6 months. My wife gets the Lenovo A820

Maybe Jiayu will have the G4 Advanced out by then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I'm tempted by that HTC deal but the lack of expandable memory a stumbling block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good to know, cheers.. I won't give up hope just yet so.. Even though, that HTC one offer is fairly tempting at the moment...
    I said before put different roms on there and see what happens:

http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g4/

Are there any custom roms for the G3S? I want to get myself ready for when mine arrives.

Theres only one listed on this page and it seems to be the official one that will be loaded on the phone when it comes:

http://www.needrom.com/phone-roms/jiayu/g3/

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Solved my issues with the Cubot gt99 thankfully. Basically the call volume was set at 15% but there was no way of changing it without installing an app. Strange that there wasnt an option in the settings panel to change it but happy enough to have it resolved. Ill give a review in a few days lads. It aint a bad bit of kit for the price i paid.

Only thing i have noticed is the wifi is a bit weak and the gps is very slow to connect.

Whats the best app out there to improve the gps connection ? (Tried GPS fix but it didnt help)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

Was gonna get the newman myself, can you review it?

Finally got round to looking at my Newman n2 for a review.

Build Quality - can't fault it to be honest.There are no annoying gaps to fill with dust. The plastics seem strong and durable though the back panel is very thin but it us on most phones these days. The rubberised feel to the back makes it secure to hold. Hopefully the rubber finish doesn't rub off over time.

Screen - is gorilla glass and feels strong and stable. Resolution is 720p and is very sharp with good colour reproduction but is a little dull compared to my old g3 or xperia s.

Camera - the rear camera is a Sony 13mp and is really top draw. Much better than g3 and probably as good a camera as I have had on a phone.

Connections - GPS is a bit quicker than my g3 but still quite slow. WiFi is weak unless in same room as router. This is a common theme with Chinese phones. Work rounds generally help.

Processor - it has the same quad core Samsung processor as the the s3 and 1 gig ram and flies through everything with no issues at all. Heavy HD gaming and browsing multiple websites with video have not caused it any issues. It does however heat up just like the Samsung s3 and can get really worryingly warm but still works OK.

The battery is 2500 ah and I get 2 days of medium usage out of it. WiFi on permanently 2 hours browsing and an hour of radio or music over headphones a day aswell as general calls and texts.

With 8 gig internal storage and SD card support I think this is a good phone all round.
    I got it from merimobiles for €198 inc Dhl and case. Had to pay € 27 customs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can these quad-core phones play MKV videos (i.e. HD)?

That went well. asked yesterday, and they said they had it in stock and would ship wednesday or today.

This morning i asked again, out of stock, not sure when suppliers will give them a batch and to wait.

When i asked for a refund, he asked if id take a silver model. After pressing again, he needed to get them from his supplier, therefore wasn't even sure he had it in stock.

I got a bit miffed at that point with all the scurrying around and asked for a refund. Even then he said, probably tomorrow for the refund through paypal.

This was a nice experience. truly. money taken for a week, and im not sure when im going to get this back. Ill message again tomorrow to see regarding the refund, but im not fully optimistic for tomorrow.

In the meantime, this has me rethinking the buying dual sim chinese phone thing again.

There will be some thinking done at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Same thing is happening to me, I ordered it a week ago when they told me it was in stock when it wasnt and now they are saying they don't know when they are getting it back in stock:mad:

what i am really hoping now is they refund me quickly.i dont know why he couldnt do it on the spot, but again ive given him the benefit of the doubt until tomorrow.

Ive been looking around elsewhere, apart from the g3s, i find it hard to see anything else worthwhile. i wish i could figure a way to add a second sim to the nexus, as it serves its purpose well. those socblue bluetooth devices concepts are interesting, but im not sure they work very well from reading around.

Plus id need one sim to be used as data, and im not sure i can do that well with the socblue (ie, my secondary sim is used as a hotspot). i dont think i would be comfortable with a 5" device, though they seem to be the most common around.

I will look at the a820, however the screen is at 960x540 pixels vs the 1280x720 for the g3s.

vowney v5 doesnt look too bad

• Advertisement

Btw you'll need an app like PDAnet to get a good hotspot on the Jiayu and that costs a fiver, it generates an excellent hotspot though, I had 4 people using my G3 as their connection in various rooms of bungalow in the middle of nowhere in Clare last Saturday and it performed flawlessly all day, couldnt do it with an iPhone 4.

I think you should check if its possible to have one sim generating a data connection while you call and text on the other sim at the same time though, I wouldnt bet money on that working, maybe theres an app that will let you merge sims like that but I think you'll be switching back anf forth between the 2, could be wrong though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement