Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

tuborg_man wrote: »
    I hate the weak euro. :mad:

Means you have to drink more tuborg?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Wang King wrote: »
    Means you have to drink more tuborg?

The best selling beer in Nepal can't be bad. (close enough to China to be relevant)

On a side note I've being using a thl 4000 that i bough on the site that shall not be named, Fairly average phone that I only bought because it was cheap and has a 4000mAh battery, but its lasted me well after my jiayu g4s dropped reception.

The battery is the best aspect of the phone, easily will last 2 days with standard use. (i use hailo as a driver and gps is on for 8-12 hours a day and it always has juice in it) screen is a bit flat and can be a bit buggy but a decent back up phone if one is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I decided on an elephone p6000 from amazon for £120. I can always return it if I'm unhappy with it. It should be in my parcel motel locker tomorrow.

I'm new to android phones, so what are the first things that I should he doing when i get it? I've heard people talking about custom recovery. What is that and how is it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Currently using a Samsung s4 with a broken screen. So its time to update...

Can I get recommendations for a phone with good camera front and back, fast, good gps and a decent battery? Oh and ready to use, don't want to have custom it...point and shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

dedaw wrote: »
    Currently using a Samsung s4 with a broken screen. So its time to update...

Can I get recommendations for a phone with good camera front and back, fast, good gps and a decent battery? Oh and ready to use, don't want to have custom it...point and shoot!

Huawei honor 6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Huawei honor 6?

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Is it a bit expensive for what it offers? If I was to buy at that price would I be better with the one plus one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

dedaw wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Is it a bit expensive for what it offers? If I was to buy at that price would I be better with the one plus one?

If you're getting the 1+1, you might be looking at the 64gb, which is €350. You can get the 16gb Honor 6 for 300ish if you shop around. There's screen size to consider as well, 5" for the Honor 6 vs 5.5" for the 1+1. Better dev support for the 1+1.

You won't go far wrong with either, both good phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Huawei honor 3c. Very good phone for 150 euro on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Has anyone ever order from Merimobiles? Looking at this phone. Bit of a newbie so just wondering of anyone knew whether this would work in ireland?

http://www.merimobiles.com/huawei-honor-5-inch-lte-octa-core-3gb-16gb-smartphone_p/meri10357.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can buy that from Amazon for a similar price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

wawaman wrote: »
    Has anyone ever order from Merimobiles? Looking at this phone. Bit of a newbie so just wondering of anyone knew whether this would work in ireland?

http://www.merimobiles.com/huawei-honor-5-inch-lte-octa-core-3gb-16gb-smartphone_p/meri10357.htm

I did twice, bit slow sending stuff out but reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I second this. I had a phone and sent back for repair. Took them 5 long months, several emails and the phone was back in my hand. Quality not 100%, put in new screen glue peeled away around the edges=light bleeding but the phone still works. I think it's down to the chinese way of sorting thing. No rush, no need to be perfect. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I decided on an elephone p6000 from amazon for £120. I can always return it if I'm unhappy with it. It should be in my parcel motel locker tomorrow.

I'm new to android phones, so what are the first things that I should he doing when i get it? I've heard people talking about custom recovery. What is that and how is it done?

Install Nova Launcher Prime from the playstore and spend a few hours tweaking things to exactly how you want them. Chomp SMS is excellent too. I used to be an iphone user :o and really love the flexibility & ability to customise that Android affords but you'll need to invest a bit of time to fine tune things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nova Launcher is so 2012. Root it, install closed framework and the Google Now Launcher. No need for a custom ROM with xposed

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Hi Lads! Need a bit of help here.
    O bought the jiayu s3 and i have to say it is a lovely piece of kit, but stupid coolicool didn't add gapps to it even though I asked.
    I tried doing it myself using these instructions
    http://coolicooljody.blogspot.ie/2015/03/jiyus-s3-how-to-install-google.html?m=1

And i do get a semi working google play store (I keep getting a message that it has stopped working)
    From there I installed gmail app and calendar but this is where the trouble starts.
    I cannot get them to sync with my phone at all.
    I use both features quite a lot and need them to sync.
    Keep in mind I am not that at ease with flashing stuff into my phone so if you can help please keep it mega simple (ie for idiots :) )
    Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

O bought the jiayu s3 and i have to say it is a lovely piece of kit, but stupid coolicool didn't add gapps to it even though I asked.

Did you use the EU warehouse shipping and how long did it take to receive the phone ?

No I used their regular shop, it took 3 weeks to get

I tried doing it myself using these instructions
    http://coolicooljody.blogspot.ie/2015/03/jiyus-s3-how-to-install-google.html?m=1

And i do get a semi working google play store (I keep getting a message that it has stopped working)
    From there I installed gmail app and calendar but this is where the trouble starts.
    I cannot get them to sync with my phone at all.
    I use both features quite a lot and need them to sync.
    Keep in mind I am not that at ease with flashing stuff into my phone so if you can help please keep it mega simple (ie for idiots :) )
    Thanks a lot!

If you're are stuck for apps use aptoide its just as good if not better for a certain reason ;)

I'm not stuck for apps, it's the ones that I installed that don't work properly!

I'm not stuck for apps, it's the ones that I installed that don't work properly!

delete and reinstall with aptoide see if that works.

• Advertisement

tried aptoid and no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Just Purchased the Gionee elife e7. Great specs and it was a flagship device, worth a punt at 175.

Has anyone else bought one of these? what is your opinion? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Just Purchased the Gionee elife e7. Great specs and it was a flagship device, worth a punt at 175.

Did you install a new ROM? Heard the stock one is dreadful

Did you install a new ROM? Heard the stock one is dreadful
    I only ordered it yesterday. From what i have read the kitkat update is a vast improvement. The issues seem to be more with the stock launcher than anything else.

Where did you order from ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Where did you order from ?

Aliexpress with DHL shipping, so expecting 2-3 weeks. doesn't seem to be anywhere with a eurostore that has any of these in it.

tried aptoid and no joy

What version of android is it running, maybe flash a new rom might help.

right, I'm going to give this a go:
    http://www.spemall.com/forum/topic/2160-how-to-install-international-rom-for-jiayu-s3-basic-and-jiayu-s3-advanced/

Can anyone spot something wrong with the instructions?

right, I'm going to give this a go:
    http://www.spemall.com/forum/topic/2160-how-to-install-international-rom-for-jiayu-s3-basic-and-jiayu-s3-advanced/

Can anyone spot something wrong with the instructions?

Make sure you have the right rom for the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Got this last week. Really nice. Although not to everyone's taste, I like the design. Updated to Kitkat which helped a lot (any audio would stutter when returning to the home screen on 4.2). Amigo is awful but Google Now improves things drastically. There's a project on Xda to bring lollipop to the E7. It might never happen. There's little to no development and my guess is that 4.4 is as far as a usable rom will go. Shame, as it's now great value and deserves a wider audience. Screen is as good as my old G2 and camera is better. Enjoy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement