Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looking for a bit of advice here
    Recently just got the Redmi 2 with 2gb ram and i'm wondering if i should install the Cyanogenmod instead of the Multi language version of MIUI v6 that comes with the Aliexexpress phones.

I use Cyanogenmod on my OnePlus One and it works great but it's a much more powerful phone and maybe handles it better, i'm not sure if Cyanogenmod would slow down the Xiamoi Redmi 2 and that MIUI is designed better for Xaoimi phones etc

• Registered Users Posts: 38 presuki

KilOit wrote: »
    Recently just got the Redmi 2 with 2gb ram and i'm wondering if i should install the Cyanogenmod instead of the Multi language version of MIUI v6 that comes with the Aliexexpress phones.

Hi KilOit,

You bought it from Aliexpress, ya? How much did it end up costing incl any customs & how long did it take for you to receive it?

Doing a bit of research on that phone most people say that Cyanogenmod runs fine on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I use Cyanogenmod on my OnePlus One and it works great but it's a much more powerful phone and maybe handles it better, i'm not sure if Cyanogenmod would slow down the Xiamoi Redmi 2 and that MIUI is designed better for Xaoimi phones etc

I installed cyanogenmod on my redmi 1s and found it performed faster than miui

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

presuki wrote: »
    I got a reply from the seller (hamswan):

our return policy is that if the item exactly has problem, we will issue you a refund or a replacement in one year.
    That's great, and did you ask about import duty tax?

bondja80 wrote: »
    That's great, and did you ask about import duty tax?

Yes, waiting on the reply on that. Might try for the geekvida happy hour price tomorrow though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Hi, my husband is looking to buy a 5.5 phone with a good camera decent as possible battery and to buy from a well known/reputable source. All you know it all what would you recommend ?

Please and thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

now online wrote: »
    Hi, my husband is looking to buy a 5.5 phone with a good camera decent as possible battery and to buy from a well known/reputable source. All you know it all what would you recommend ?

Please and thank you!

If you're not going to give a budget then the OnePlus One is your best bet. There's a link in the bargain alerts forum, its currently €370 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Please and thank you!

A well known and reputable source..............that could be a problem.

I got a reply from the seller (hamswan):

our return policy is that if the item exactly has problem, we will issue you a refund or a replacement in one year.

As they say in Beijing..........they will in their hole !!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

You see he blew his budget out of the water and bought me a note 3, now he's jealous and wants something nice himself! Around €300 would be his max. Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Im waiting on the Elephone P3000s 3gb. Its due for sale in the next week. Excellent specs and decent cameras. Check it out, should come in under your price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Pyrrhic wrote: »
    Guys I really need some help please.

I just received my phone back from getting 'repaired' by Etotalk today and it literally is the exact same as when I sent it back towards the end of January.

The phone will not turn on and it will not charge.

I had to pay customs on their end to get them to send the phone back after 'repair' and just there today I also had to pay customs for getting it returned.

I have removed the plastic film on the battery it has not been repaired at all?

I am literally shaking with anger can somebody please help me or guide me on how I should deal with this legally I am not sending this phone back and waiting the guts of 4 months and paying anymore customs.

You shouldn't have paid customs, it was a repair not a purchase.
    Take a look here as well http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/shopping-online/

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

GBX wrote: »
    Im waiting on the Elephone P3000s 3gb. Its due for sale in the next week. Excellent specs and decent cameras. Check it out, should come in under your price.

Looks good....where have you bought from? Any ideas or reviews on the gps? Is it set up with play store, apps, etc or do you have to custom it?

dedaw wrote: »
    Looks good....where have you bought from? Any ideas or reviews on the gps? Is it set up with play store, apps, etc or do you have to custom it?

Sorry, meant im waiting for the full release sale date before I order.

GBX wrote: »
    Sorry, meant im waiting for the full release sale date before I order.

What's different from the one currently available. See one on geekbuying which is a 2gb.

The extra gig of ram, Octa-Core 1.7 - as opposed to 1.3 quad. Full HD screen.
    The current one might well be sufficient enough for most people.

Yes, waiting on the reply on that. Might try for the geekvida happy hour price tomorrow though.
    I think that Happy Hour wiill start at 09:00 Irish time, because all phones are in Spanish warehouse. Or maybe at 10:00, you should check both times.

Hi KilOit,

You bought it from Aliexpress, ya? How much did it end up costing incl any customs & how long did it take for you to receive it?

Doing a bit of research on that phone most people say that Cyanogenmod runs fine on it.
    200€ inc customs, needed it right away so had to go with DHL, go with the free postage option as i hear you can get it without customs charge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

200€ inc customs, needed it right away so had to go with DHL, go with the free postage option as i hear you can get it without customs charge

Sorry to bug ya but what seller did you use and how is the reception? I keep reading that some bands aren't supported and will cause issues here.

thanks

Sorry to bug ya but what seller did you use and how is the reception? I keep reading that some bands aren't supported and will cause issues here.

thanks

Haven't put a sim in it yet, it's a gift so i can answer that by the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭savemejebus

No worries,would you have a link to the seller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Another one of those myths.

bondja80 wrote: »
    I think that Happy Hour wiill start at 09:00 Irish time, because all phones are in Spanish warehouse. Or maybe at 10:00, you should check both times.

Ordered it during the happy hour and as I was afraid, they sneakily changed the price at the end of the process (they somehow managed it after I had gone through the payment process on paypal) from €149.99 to €169.99, so beware!

I'm awaiting a response on a refund, feckers.

Any recommendations for a phone with good gps?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mdabar

Please and thank you!

Hi ... as someone have said before, it depends on your budget. The OnePlus One would be the best option, although it's expensive.

I have a Elephone P3000S, which is not expensive (around 150€) and the quality of the camera is much better than other chinese phones I have tried. I must also say that it comes with a very good battery, but it also makes it heavier (not uncomfortable anyway). So for me is an option.

Other options are the Redmi family from Xiaomi (as always not the cheapest ones)

Regarding the reputable sources... I would advice 2 that have worked very well for me:
    - Etotalk.com -> very fast and very good service, almost always available on Skype for any question, and they answer the emails!
    - Geekbuying -> good experience too, responsive

NOT adviceble. There are some other with which I won't tell you to go:
    - Gearbest -> they bomb you with hundreds of promotions, continuously, and very good ones... but try to purchase something! one month after you have paid your order, they will tell you they have a trouble with suppliers, I managed to get them reimboursing the money, but at the end you have lost a lot of time and probably a good option to buy away and have the items. Very slow in answering! Since the moment I did the order, until the moment I finally got my money back because not having the item, almost 3 months!

- Dx.com -> first shop I knew, very wide offering, a lot of promots, but the quality of goods received wasn't so good :-/ I had to return a few, but they were responsive. I'm not using more.

- Dealsmachine -> neutral, not a lot of offers but a lot of stuff, slow to deliver...

Hope it helps!

Pyrrhic wrote: »
    Guys I really need some help please.

I just received my phone back from getting 'repaired' by Etotalk today and it literally is the exact same as when I sent it back towards the end of January.

The phone will not turn on and it will not charge.

I had to pay customs on their end to get them to send the phone back after 'repair' and just there today I also had to pay customs for getting it returned.

I have removed the plastic film on the battery it has not been repaired at all?

I am literally shaking with anger can somebody please help me or guide me on how I should deal with this legally I am not sending this phone back and waiting the guts of 4 months and paying anymore customs.
    mdabar wrote: »

Regarding the reputable sources... I would advice 2 that have worked very well for me:
    - Etotalk.com -> very fast and very good service, almost always available on Skype for any question, and they answer the emails!

- Dealsmachine -> neutral, not a lot of offers but a lot of stuff, slow to deliver...

Different experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mdabar

eamonnq wrote: »
    Different experiences

Yes, that's for sure... my first experiences with DX.com were good, I liked it and started buying more, and then I had the few bad quality / wrong items experiences... in Spain we use to say "cada uno cuenta la feria según le va" which means "each one tells the party as per he enjoys it..."

For the moment I've done several orders to Etotalk and all good.

So, completely agree with you.

Ordered it during the happy hour and as I was afraid, they sneakily changed the price at the end of the process (they somehow managed it after I had gone through the payment process on paypal) from €149.99 to €169.99, so beware!

I'm awaiting a response on a refund, feckers.

that is very bad, how can they do like that? Probably I will not order from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Got an Elephone P6000 off amazon for £120. Have it for about a week now and I'm very impressed. I should mention I'm coming from a vodafone smart mini 3, so it wouldn't take much to impress me maybe! But I'm very pleased with it so far.

One problem I'm having. Sometimes I get a text message that doesn't show any text, but has a download button in the message. When I try to download it fails. I assume these are just regular text messages. Maybe they have an emoticon in them or something that the phone is trying to download. Anyway, any ideas why it's failing to download and display these messages? I set up MMS as described on the 48 months website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

Guys can anybody help me sort out the battery issue with my Jiayu G5S.

I got it back from being repaired and the battery is dropping, even when it's charging.
    The only way I can charge it, is by using the external charger. (Taking the battery out and putting it in the charger which is hardly convenient)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement