Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

really? thats an interesting point. can someone confirm that this is the case? its not going to completely stop from getting such a phone, but it would be interesting to note those little things that reviews will not bring up or you don't hear around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Well it can generate a hotspot itself with Androids built in feature obviously but I found it very weak and prone to dropping even when it was just me on it so I always used the USB tether option which is perfect but then someone posted PDAnet was on sale in the Must-Have apps thread the other day, gave it a try and was blown away, it was like a hardware upgrade. PDAnet does USB tether aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I thought PDANet was free?

"Free" cuts off after about 100 MB.

Got ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Just got an email from hongkongeek saying its finally been shipped:)

What did you buy in the end?

This thread needs more reviews I could link to in the OP and maybe get a mod to change its name to The Generic Chinese Smartphones Thread or something.

Thargor wrote: »
    What did you buy in the end?

This thread needs more reviews I could link to in the OP and maybe get a mod to change its name to The Generic Chinese Smartphones Thread or something.

Got the Jiayu G3S in black with DHL, should have it sometime next week if they shipped it when they said they did

What about putting in a request for a chinese phones subforum?

Because I already spend 4 hours a day ignoring my real job on boards and dont need to be a mod on top of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

So quick update on the GS2.
    I've had it since April and so far I have loved it.

However there have been some unimpressive bits.

The camera for one.I initially thought it was comparable to mu old iphone 4 camera but its sadly not the case.It can produce some good photos in good conditions but I'm definetly not happy with it.Its constantly refocusing even using 3rd party apps.
    Definetly missing my iphone 4 camera.

The battery.
    The battery is good on it,it'll definetly get me through the day but today it stopped taking a charge,it will not go past 0% charge no matter what charger I use.
    It happened once before but it managed to rectify itself but now it seems like its screwed.

If the battery worked like it should I would happily recommend it,hopefully its all thats wrong with it.

I will comment that since I have removed the screen protector I dont feel like the glass is super tough as I have noticed a scrape on the screen even though I havent dropped or thrown it about.

• Advertisement

Ah ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Been looking into these Chinese phones lately and very tempted by them. Came across the Faea F1, and seems to be a slick phone. GizChina gave it a good review, and has a very similar spec as the Jiayu G3s but is only $169.99 ($159.99 with a code). Also has NFC built in. The only downside is the G3S has a better battery and has (supposedly) a better quad-core CPU - MediaTek is supposed to have a better chip than Qualcomm.

May be worth considering though if someone's after a G3S. Think the F1 looks much nicer too myself.

May chance getting one, just out of sheer curiousity and experimentation alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clynesbreed

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Solved my issues with the Cubot gt99 thankfully. Basically the call volume was set at 15% but there was no way of changing it without installing an app. Strange that there wasnt an option in the settings panel to change it but happy enough to have it resolved. Ill give a review in a few days lads. It aint a bad bit of kit for the price i paid.

Only thing i have noticed is the wifi is a bit weak and the gps is very slow to connect.

Whats the best app out there to improve the gps connection ? (Tried GPS fix but it didnt help)

I have one of these on the way soon, did you fix the vol using engineering mode or via an app?

Got the Jiayu G3S in black with DHL, should have it sometime next week if they shipped it when they said they did

What about putting in a request for a chinese phones subforum?

got in touch with them today. they said they had the silver in stock. ive asked them to send that one, and they said they would try today or tomorrow.

until i get the dispatch email, i wont count on that. they definitely said no black, im guessing they maybe got 3 units in and sent those to the ones who ordered first.

will update.

now im going to try and find cheap screen protectors for this anyway. im not bothered getting a case, its already a pretty thick phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

Any thoughts on the below? Looking for a dual sim that accepts two full sized sims.
    The more I read the impression i get is that Huawei, Lenovo and ZTE (possibly Zopo) seem to have the best quality and support over the other lesser known Chinese brands. Am i right is saying this?

http://www.merimobiles.com/huawei-ascend-g700-dual-sim-mtk6589-quad-core-1-2ghz-5-0-inch-720p-android4-2-2gb-ram-dual-cam_p/meri7399.htm

http://www.merimobiles.com/lenovo-p780-1-2ghz-quad-core-android-4-2-5-0-inch-hd-3g-wcdma-8-0mp-4000mah-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri7437.htm

jiayu g3s has dispatched today. will see when it gets here now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Use the code LOYAL on merimobiles until July 22nd gets you $10 off Lenovo HTC and Pantech:)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I see the G2S on Amazon for £149..about €174. Is it worth paying the extra few quid to avoid the delivery delay from China and it wont get hit by customs either.

Free UK delivery via parcel motel.

What ye reckon?

You could get it in for less yourself from mixeshop but if customs hit you then the savings are wiped out. Peace of mind - Amazon. Take a chance - Mixeshop.

Oh, get a spare battery if you can, they deteriorate pretty quickly

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 Location Time
    10 Shipment on hold EAST MIDLANDS - UK 06:07

Fun and games start.

I believe the g2s has a few issues, plus its not that fast. Also GPS is quite bad on the pre-g3s jiayus. Screen isnt as good as the g3s, and price is about nearly the same as a g3s.

I will update here once i get mine, and will know if i get hit by customs or not. Hongkongeek have said they would reimburse me duty, but you never know until everything is sorted and in your hands.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I could be waiting 3-4 weeks for delivery from China and then get hit by customs aswell. Be a right pain.

Anywhere else this side of the world to buy a Jiayu?

Thanks for reply.

Check that its Amazon selling it and not a Chinese vendor using Amazon market, might be time to consider going quad-core now anyway and the extra RAM, apps are getting beefier all the time now.

BullBauld wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I could be waiting 3-4 weeks for delivery from China and then get hit by customs aswell. Be a right pain.

Thanks for reply.

to be fair, they posted it on the 19th July, so its not too bad. i am half expecting it this week. This is via DHL, which cost $15. Im happy enough so far, unless DHL pull something which might then get annoying. the seller posted this on the day i asked them to, after a few days of the black not being in stock, they agreed to send a silver.

so far the experience has been ok, but watch this space for further updates.

Spipov wrote: »
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 Location Time
    10 Shipment on hold EAST MIDLANDS - UK 06:07

Fun and games start.

I believe the g2s has a few issues, plus its not that fast. Also GPS is quite bad on the pre-g3s jiayus. Screen isnt as good as the g3s, and price is about nearly the same as a g3s.

I will update here once i get mine, and will know if i get hit by customs or not. Hongkongeek have said they would reimburse me duty, but you never know until everything is sorted and in your hands.
    I had no issues with the G2S to be fair. There are gps issues with all the Jiayu as far as I can see. Much preferred it to the G3, screen was excellent for the price. Overall, a very good phone for the money, I got mine for 150 last Jan.

BullBauld wrote: »

Thanks for reply.
    I got mine in 10 days, you can be unlucky though

Just got my G3S :D:D:D:D:D
    It left Hong Kong on Monday and went through Germany, UK and into ireland on Tuesday so it got here quite fast
    I Didn't have to pay customs on it either Hongkongeek labeled it as a $10 MP4 player:)

I'll post a couple of pics later

mine just arrived as well.

Left Hong Kong Saturday (as per DHL) and in my hands today. havent opened it until i get home from work. Did not get hit by customs and was labelled mp4 player as well.

fair play to them. this was quite fast, i think sending from uk might have taken longer!

Just got my G3S :D:D:D:D:D
    It left Hong Kong on Monday and went through Germany, UK and into ireland on Tuesday so it got here quite fast
    I Didn't have to pay customs on it either Hongkongeek labeled it as a $10 MP4 player:)

I'll post a couple of pics later
    Spipov wrote: »
    mine just arrived as well.

Left Hong Kong Saturday (as per DHL) and in my hands today. havent opened it until i get home from work. Did not get hit by customs and was labelled mp4 player as well.

fair play to them. this was quite fast, i think sending from uk might have taken longer!

Wow both very fast in the end...after the initial problems.

Think I'll bite the bullet later. Is the only way to find out if it's actually in stock is to email them?

Did you both get the black version?

I got the black one and it came with a free green case/cover too, I'd already bought a black cover separately but I like the green one more

When I bought it last week I emailed to ask if it was in stock and they said it was, then after a few days told me it was out of stock so I had to wait

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got the black one and it came with a free green case/cover too, I'd already bought a black cover separately but I like the green one more

When I bought it last week I emailed to ask if it was in stock and they said it was, then after a few days told me it was out of stock so I had to wait

Can you post a picture of the black one? I got a blue one and I'm not a fan of it. I'm tempted to buy a black one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement