Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

nice one, think I'll pull the trigger on it tomorrow and hopefully have it in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Have old Huawei U8180 and wanted to download Viber or Skype for chat, and give to daughter - the message from Viber / Skype say the device isn't compatible for download but on a website it says the U8180 needs Android 2.1 or more for Skype, and checking the phone it says it uses Android 2.2.2 . Any ideas. (I have a U8666-1 with version 2.3.6 but need that for myself !)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Capri wrote: »
    Have old Huawei U8180 and wanted to download Viber or Skype for chat, and give to daughter - the message from Viber / Skype say the device isn't compatible for download but on a website it says the U8180 needs Android 2.1 or more for Skype, and checking the phone it says it uses Android 2.2.2 . Any ideas. (I have a U8666-1 with version 2.3.6 but need that for myself !)

It might not be compatible due to the low screen resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Phone arrived into Dublin just after 7, an hour later got a missed called and rang them back, DHL credit control.

€30.27 for $157.93, think there should/could a rough guide/warming in the original post so people who aren’t expecting it won’t get a shock

Just have to keep saying €177 for a phone (Elephone P6000) is a big saving compared to phone you’d buy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

jeffk wrote: »
    Phone arrived into Dublin just after 7, an hour later got a missed called and rang them back, DHL credit control.

€30.27 for $157.93, think there should/could a rough guide/warming in the original post so people who aren’t expecting it won’t get a shock

Just have to keep saying €177 for a phone (Elephone P6000) is a big saving compared to phone you’d buy here.

Its the 10e DHL charge that is the killer. My M52 arrived this morning (only ordered it this week!) and the "vat" was 26e. In fact it was 16e plus the tenner charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    nice one, think I'll pull the trigger on it tomorrow and hopefully have it in a few weeks

Not fair. Great deal on the phone but the cash isn't there till next month.

I miss my xiaomi mi3 :(

Phibsboro wrote:
    Its the 10e DHL charge that is the killer. My M52 arrived this morning (only ordered it this week!) and the "vat" was 26e. In fact it was 16e plus the tenner charge.

yeah the vat is one thing, but ten on top of what you paid DHL is taking the piss.

I'm the same, ordered Monday here today

• Registered Users Posts: 38 presuki

I just got a letter to say I'll be charged €32.22 (incl €7 An Post fee) on my phone, which was only €109.68/$119.99. Any idea why the percentage rate seems to be higher on mine?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Found the Xiaomi Redmi Note from this ebay seller at a pretty decent price of £110 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-8GB-5-5-inch-4G-MIUI-V5-MSM8928-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-White-Phone-/351367524490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cf22f08a Just wanna make sure this will be compatible with Irish networks? Also do they typically come loaded with the Google Play store or would I have to do something myself?

For anyone wanting to know if their new phone will work & on what bands/networks, this site is useful (it had the Elephone p6000 listed at least): http://www.willmyphonework.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

presuki wrote: »
    I just got a letter to say I'll be charged €32.22 (incl €7 An Post fee) on my phone, which was only €109.68/$119.99. Any idea why the percentage rate seems to be higher on mine?

You didn't. 109.68*0.23 gives €25.22, +7 = €32.22

23% is the standard rate, his does seem to be lower

• Advertisement

You didn't. 109.68*0.23 gives €25.22, +7 = €32.22

23% is the standard rate, his does seem to be lower

Ya thanks, I understand that mine is 23%, just wondering why jeffk seems to have been charged a lower rate.

Was that the VAT charge only, without the postage charge jeffk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I was hoping to get the new Xiaomi Mi Note Pro but it's only sold in Asia :(

n1ck wrote: »
    I was hoping to get the new Xiaomi Mi Note Pro but it's only sold in Asia :(

As are 99.99% of phones mentioned in this thread but it didn't stop us :D

presuki wrote: »
    Ya thanks, I understand that mine is 23%, just wondering why jeffk seems to have been charged a lower rate.

Was that the VAT charge only, without the postage charge jeffk?

The €30 was to be paid to DHL today,

Before that on etotalk
    DHL CN (To IE): $19.99
    Insurance: $5.99

The €30 was to be paid to DHL today,

Before that on etotalk
    DHL CN (To IE): $19.99
    Insurance: $5.99

Etotalk still up to their good old tricks. $5.99 insurance... lol

spix wrote: »
    Etotalk still up to their good old tricks. $5.99 insurance... lol
    Ah sure when your recommend a site and no one else is offering advice you go with what you can.

Plus IF it goes missing id rather pay insurance and get a replacement than have to chase them(well that's what they say)

Ah sure when your recommend a site and no one else is offering advice you go with what you can.

Plus IF it goes missing id rather pay insurance and get a replacement than have to chase them(well that's what they say)

It's just a ploy to milk as much money as possible from you. If it really did go missing they wouldn't do anything different just because you paid them an extra $6.

It's just a ploy to milk as much money as possible from you. If it really did go missing they wouldn't do anything different just because you paid them an extra $6.
    Ill know the next time im buying a phone.

Very daunting trying to order a phone from China when you haven't a clue and don't want to lose money.

Ill know the next time im buying a phone.

Very daunting trying to order a phone from China when you haven't a clue and don't want to lose money.

Agreed, always better to be safe rather than sorry. Still, don't buy from etotalk again, I hate them with a passion :pac:

This store has guaranteed no vat via DHL if you ever decide to buy another http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1153179

As are 99.99% of phones mentioned in this thread but it didn't stop us :D

Is there anywhere other than eBay you guys generally use?

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere other than eBay you guys generally use?

Aliexpress.com generally has the best choice/prices and there's 2 or 3 sellers there who offer guaranteed no vat/duty delivery via dhl.

ibuygou.com is as close as you'll get to an official xiaomi store

Nobody really uses ebay, prices are always more expensive and not many chinese resellers bother selling there due to high fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 llandai

Haven't been following this thread in a long time but in the market for a cheapish phone as I broke my Note 3. Was looking at the Jiayu S3 unless there is something similar size and spec wise that is better? Also is Pandawill as good as anywhere to order it Is Jiayu-store.com a better bet? I saw the German site, I assume you won't have to pay import if ordering from there but seems to still work out good bit dearer although I presume it would arrive a bit quicker! Thanks for any help and sorry for all the questions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gn3dr

yeah the vat is one thing, but ten on top of what you paid DHL is taking the piss.

I'm the same, ordered Monday here today
    Where did ye order from to get it so quick?

Aliexpress.com generally has the best choice/prices and there's 2 or 3 sellers there who offer guaranteed no vat/duty delivery via dhl.

ibuygou.com is as close as you'll get to an official xiaomi store

Nobody really uses ebay, prices are always more expensive and not many chinese resellers bother selling there due to high fees.

Thanks for the links, I've never bought of Aliexpress before but i've heard lots of things. How reliable is it? Feedback is king i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Thanks for the links, I've never bought of Aliexpress before but i've heard lots of things. How reliable is it? Feedback is king i suppose?

Don't buy a memory card from there no matter what!!

gn3dr wrote: »
    Where did ye order from to get it so quick?
    Etotalk

Anyone know where or if there is a good strong cover for the elophone p6000?

http://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Flip-PU-Leather-Protective-Cover-Case-For-Elephone-P6000-wp-Uk-964197.html

This seems to be the best of them, there is literally a rubber ring to go around the phone, another version of the above with a window at the front and(what I got off Etotalk and hate) a leather pouch

Cant seem to find a good plastic/rubber one that just leaves the screen open

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

good to see spix back with his endless aliexpress links.

I may need your help in a few weeks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What the hell is the name of xiaomishop.eu s new domain? I keep forgetting it. They were supposed to be a decent enough crowd to deal with for xiaomis, they're expanded though, don't know if they're in Italy anymore either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

What the hell is the name of xiaomishop.eu s new domain? I keep forgetting it. They were supposed to be a decent enough crowd to deal with for xiaomis, they're expanded though, don't know if they're in Italy anymore either

Honorbuy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement