Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

I got the black one and it came with a free green case/cover too, I'd already bought a black cover separately but I like the green one more

When I bought it last week I emailed to ask if it was in stock and they said it was, then after a few days told me it was out of stock so I had to wait

no, i got the silver unfortunately. its not too bad actually when i look at it. itll certainly change my usual black approach.

I would say its better emailing to ask them. they sent the silver because they were out of stock for the black one. i believe they get them in very few quantities, as the day i got annoyed and decided to cancel my order, they shipped bluestripes black one, and magically got silver in stock the next day.

Anyway, ill hopefully be able to play with it later on. Bluestripe, any interest in selling the cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Yeah I'll sell it if anyone wants it, send me a PM, I have 2 screen protector things I got with it if anyone wants those too,

Google play store is pre installed and works, I checked with an app and my G3S came pre rooted so the others might be rooted too,

Its my first Android phone and like it so far but there is a few things I don't like about it like the Jiayu icons and theme, I had changed it to how normal android looks with nova launcher, I don't know how to turn off the vibrating when the buttons on the bottom bar are pressed, although I like the back lit buttons and the screen is really nice, I don't have a memory card for it yet either
    Its huge compared to the phone I was using before this (SE K530i)

Pics

DSCF3384_zpsf6f0ed12.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/bluestripe93/DSCF3378_zpsa5e2227a.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/bluestripe93/DSCF3376_zpsf1579fba.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/bluestripe93/DSCF3377_zpsaf5ef3af.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/bluestripe93/DSCF3385_zpse5132e95.jpg

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/bluestripe93/DSCF3382_zpse19f461d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Go down through the list of apps in settings and uninstall everything with chinese in the name to get rid of those Chinese characters on the screen there, or just delete that widget if thats all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just noticed how gorgeous the G3S is.
    Was going to get the HTC at the weekend but those pics have me tempted to go back to the Chinese phones.

So after playing around with it for a few hours I found when I connect it to my PC (Win 7) it doesn't show up as removable storage so I cant put anything on the internal memory,

Pressing the power button and volume down saves a screenshot

I cant find an option to make the backlit options-home-back buttons at the bottom stay on longer, anyone know how?

I installed Nova Launcher and used the Xperia Z Live Wallpaper, Holo Icons pack and RoundR (on size 20) to take away the Jiayu Icons and theme and more how I like it

DSCF3389_zps17a3490d.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidwasabi.livewallpaper.xperiaz

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unseenvision.mnml

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mohammad.adib.roundr&hl=en

• Advertisement

Do you know how to connect an Android device to a pc?

Connect the cable, flick down the taskbar at the top, press USB Connected and turn on USB storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

So I ordered my G3S from Hongkongeek last night. It's in stock(apparently).
    $230 all in.

Now I wait....impatiently.

This is my first smartphone so can't wait to get it.

A stupid question....when do I receive tracking number for DHL?

Bullbauld, well done, congrats on the purchase. make sure it is in stock by chatting to them in the morning. i harassed them for a couple of days before they answered truthfully.

did you get the black one or the silver metallic one?

when its dispatched, you will get an email (check your spam folder) with the dhl number and a link where to check it. it takes 48 hours to come up on the dhl website (at least for me, but it updated on a saturday which was surprising).

on a side note:

i only wish there was a vanilla or cm10.1 rom for this. ive titanium frozen a lot of things on this, and my ram is still somewhat low. hate all this crap on it, and im not sure what i can freeze or uninstall etc except for the chinese stuff and baiduinput.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Spipov wrote: »
    Bullbauld, well done, congrats on the purchase. make sure it is in stock by chatting to them in the morning. i harassed them for a couple of days before they answered truthfully.

when its dispatched, you will get an email (check your spam folder) with the dhl number and a link where to check it. it takes 48 hours to come up on the dhl website (at least for me, but it updated on a saturday which was surprising).

on a side note:

i only wish there was a vanilla or cm10.1 rom for this. ive titanium frozen a lot of things on this, and my ram is still somewhat low. hate all this crap on it, and im not sure what i can freeze or uninstall etc except for the chinese stuff and baiduinput.

Can you not root it and delete those poxy Chinese apps?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

on a side note:

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Android typically uses as much ram as it can. It helps speed up the system. I'd be annoyed if they were using up the processor though as that will lower battery life.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Do you know how to connect an Android device to a pc?

Connect the cable, flick down the taskbar at the top, press USB Connected and turn on USB storage.

Yes I know how, I was doing that yesterday, it shows a pop up saying its installing the drivers and says "your device is ready to use" but its not showing in "my computer",

Maybe the internal storage isnt supposed to accessed for files, just apps?
    I'll just wait until I have a Micro SD for it

on a side note:

Cheers for help. I ordered the black one.

Got an email this morning from Nicolas confirming it was in stock. Could be all lies :pac:

Yes I know how, I was doing that yesterday, it shows a pop up saying its installing the drivers and says "your device is ready to use" but its not showing in "my computer",

Maybe the internal storage isnt supposed to accessed for files, just apps?
    I'll just wait until I have a Micro SD for it
    Yeah I cant access internal storage like that either, I usually put it on the SD card or my dropbox account and manually move it over with a file browser on the phone.

Yeah I cant access internal storage like that either, I usually put it on the SD card or my dropbox account and manually move it over with a file browser on the phone.

you are right about the usb storage thing. the only thing i have managed to do is connect as MTP and then transfer there. HOWEVER, it only works in windows and not directly saving from your browser to a location. i dont know why, but this is the case.

you can select usb storage as much as you want, it does not recognise it.

It came pre-rooted, i have frozen those with titanium. i just like to get rid of useless crap and keeping it clean.

Is it a standard or micro sim for the G3s?

Micro for basically all modern phones these days, standard SDs pretty much obsolete now, definitely Micro in these Jiayu phones anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BullBauld wrote: »
    Is it a standard or micro sim for the G3s?

It's a standard sim. Micro SD though

Micro for basically all modern phones these days, standard SDs pretty much obsolete now, definitely Micro in these Jiayu phones anyway.

Sound thanks. I have alot to learn about modern phones having being a brick user for the pat 15 years.

Will enjoy it though with my new G3S :)

It's a standard sim. Micro SD though

So which is it then? :pac:

So which is it then? :pac:

For a sim card that you get from your mobile provider it uses a standard size sim. For storage it uses a micro SD.

• Advertisement

Oh sh1t sorry! Misread the question, standard sim from your network and micro SD card for storage is correct.

I know people say the Jiayus GPS is rubbish but if you install this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en

Let it get a fix in about 10-20 seconds then press Home to exit and quickly go into maps or whatever navigation app you use its usually fixed in there aswell and away you go, used it to find my way to Powerscourt Waterfall today with the G3 mounted on the handlebars with one of these:

Universal-font-b-Handlebar-b-font-Motorcycle-Bicycle-font-b-Mount-b-font-for-Apple-iPhone.jpg

And it was absolutely perfect, didnt drop the connection once even when the tree cover was thick and the whole morning cycle only used about 10% of the battery, This can easily do the job of a Garmin or whatever, it worked flawlessly, I would have been using it for ages if Id known.

I6uvjRh.jpg?1

So I ordered my G3S from Hongkongeek last night. It's in stock(apparently).
    $230 all in.

Now I wait....impatiently.

This is my first smartphone so can't wait to get it.

A stupid question....when do I receive tracking number for DHL?

Balls Balls Balls!

Got the email I was hoping I wouldn't. Product momentarily or definitely unavailable. Will fly off an email and see what they say. After they saying they had it stock :mad:

A website called Mcbub, I have previously bought a couple of tablets and electrical goods off them.
    Never paid customs, they have the G3S for $185 or €142 with free delivery.

Normal delivery took two weeks for me over the Christmas period with them, also got quick replies to any questions I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

On an unrelated note, I dropped my G3 from top of the banisters of the landing upstairs to the hard tiled floor of the ground floor - a good 3 meter drop - G3 landed on it's corner and buckled it a tiny fraction, but that' it. No cracks, no scratches, nothing. Back panel and battery came off. Put them all together again and absolutely everything works. :)

It if was iClone etc, I would had had to hoover up the bits.

I did the same in Tara Street station the other day, down the stairs with horrible cracks all the way down, couple of small dings down the bottom that could be mistaken for specs of dust was the only damage. Still no scratches on the screen since I started this thread and its never had a case or screen protector on it.

Got an email saying my order has shipped and got DHL tracking number. So pressure off!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Looking to get a new phone soon.. Looking at the G3S, Is there any better model/make with better specs etc.. out since this thread begun!.. Will DHL charge you import duty?

MJ434 wrote: »
    Looking to get a new phone soon.. Looking at the G3S, Is there any better model/make with better specs etc.. out since this thread begun!.. Will DHL charge you import duty?

The G4 is another to consider. Also have been good reviews of lenovo phones.
    I was going to get the HTC One, but decided to order the Jiayu G3s this weekend.

Going for that ahead of the G4 because of price and look of the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Rochey18 wrote: »
    The G4 is another to consider. Also have been good reviews of lenovo phones.
    I was going to get the HTC One, but decided to order the Jiayu G3s this weekend.

Going for that ahead of the G4 because of price and look of the phone.

What site did you buy it off?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement