Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ahh brilliant! I didn't realise.
    Doesnt mean you can treat it like sh1t now though, definitely give it its own pocket and everything you'd usually do to keep a phone scratch free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

pockets3d wrote: »
    Looking to buy the g3s (or should i just wait on g4 ? not really power user, only moving up from gingerbread actually)
    Wheres the best place to buy one?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/JIAYU-G3S-4-5-IPS-Retina-Screen-4-Core-3G-GPS-Android-4-2-Smartphone-/221256802849?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item3383eee221

This seems like a good price with free P&P, i know it will take a few weeks coming from china, but what are the odds I would have to pay custom charges ?

Go for the G3S, I got mine as my first android phone and its great

If you get it from HONGKONGEEK they mark it as a $10 MP4 player so no customs

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Phone delivered. Must say serious fast service. Will be using again.

Are there any custom roms for the G3S? I want to get myself ready for when mine arrives.

Hey did you find any more custom roms for the G3S?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hey did you find any more custom roms for the G3S?

Didn't find any. The phone doesn't really need them right now. It's pretty close to stock which suits me. Although I'd love some of the 4.3 features.

• Advertisement

Whats 4.3 got thats good?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats 4.3 got thats good?

Some performance improvements and slightly better battery life. The big one I want though is the ability to block apps from using certain permissions.

Ok so have phone and been playing around with it this morning trying to get used to life as a smartphone user :)

I have switched over from o2 to 48 and since porting my number the phone is showing an 'R' for roaming. Is there any way to get rid of this?

Secondly I can't connect to the internet for whatever reason. Is there something basic that I'm missing?

What is the easiest way to find out if phone is rooted or not. And if not what's the best way to root it?

Sorry for these questions which are probably 1st class stuff for ye guys but for a completely new smartphone user like me, it's all pretty complicated.

Thanks for help.

You'll probably have to set the APNs to 48s settings, thats in System settings under mobile networks etc, see this thread and others like it or ring 48 for support:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77644218

Try a factory reset first though and hopefully it will set itself, sorting that will probably sort your roaming issue aswell.

Check if its rooted with this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BullBauld wrote: »
    I have switched over from o2 to 48 and since porting my number the phone is showing an 'R' for roaming. Is there any way to get rid of this?

48 are a virtual operator so you're effectively roaming on O2's networks (hence the "R") - if you get the internet access working it'll be replaced by a "H" or "3G"
    Secondly I can't connect to the internet for whatever reason. Is there something basic that I'm missing?
    You need to enter the APN settings - check 48s website.
    What is the easiest way to find out if phone is rooted or not. And if not what's the best way to root it?

this app will tell you if its rooted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

Some performance improvements and slightly better battery life. The big one I want though is the ability to block apps from using certain permissions.

That sounds good! Any chance I'd see that soon on a G3S?

That sounds good! Any chance I'd see that soon on a G3S?

Probably not, I don't think Jiayu seem all that bothered by updating their phones. Custom rom support is quite limited at the moment too but hopefully that changes. The app permissions thing could possibly be done using a third party app but we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Quite tempted by the Zopo C2, seems to be a cracking device going by the reviews. Would love to hear anyone's opinion here on it who has been using the device for the past while?

Very nice alright, Ill be going 5 inch next time I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Very nice alright, Ill be going 5 inch next time I reckon.

Oh behave:P

LOL I missed about 4 words in that sentence, my typings going to sh1t these days for some reason.

$50 odd extra though for delivery from their European Warehouse! I'd rather take my chances and get it from a Chinese seller like MeriMobile! Came across this ZTE for a similar price as the Zopo:

http://www.merimobiles.com/zte-v987-android-4-1-mt6589-quad-core-1-2ghz-dual-sim-5-0-inch-hd-1g-ram-8-0mp_p/meri9017.htm

Too much choice!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Dman001 wrote: »
    $50 odd extra though for delivery from their European Warehouse! I'd rather take my chances and get it from a Chinese seller like MeriMobile! Came across this ZTE for a similar price as the Zopo:

http://www.merimobiles.com/zte-v987-android-4-1-mt6589-quad-core-1-2ghz-dual-sim-5-0-inch-hd-1g-ram-8-0mp_p/meri9017.htm

Too much choice!! :D

I would if merimobiles sold the platinum edition...

Hmmm yeah true! GeekBuying actually have the Platinum edition, but only in white. Think it may be worth the bit extra for the Patinum edition for the Gorilla Glass alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

eamonnq wrote: »

Looks like a nice piece of kit, let us know how you get on.... It would be interesting to see how the battery fares with the new chip and big screen

Great price for the specs it offers. Let us know how ya get on with the phone!

bidiots wrote: »
    Looks like a nice piece of kit, let us know how you get on.... It would be interesting to see how the battery fares with the new chip and big screen

Ran the battery down this evening, messing about with it and what not, am leaving it to charge overnight, and see how far through tomorrow I get with it, although there may be an inordinate amount of playing with it tomorrow as well!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Looks very good, I'd be tempted myself. What's the camera like?

bluesfan wrote: »
    Looks very good, I'd be tempted myself. What's the camera like?

Camera is excellent, whole phone is amazing for the price, very responsive and very fast.

Apparently there is an issue with the SatNav function, but I installed Sygic and it appears to work very well, have mainly just left it turned on driving around to see if there were any problem but seems fine. Using google maps your position seems to drift a lot, so even when I was parked in the drive, the blue dot/arrow was drifting around the back garden, into the neighbours and back across the street. Looking on the web, this appears to be a common problem with MTK chipsets and China phones, but as I said the Sygic app appears to work very well with it, and it is a decent app (did not know how good it was, as previously only used the Google maps on the Huawei G300).

Next thing is to run the battery down, but as I have been tranferring stuff over to the sd card etc. I have left it connected to the computer a lot of the time, so have not run the battery down properly for a test yet.

Want to test the camera in it for using as a dashcam as well, but not sure I trust the mount that I have to hold the phone securely enough, and don't want to test the gorilla glass yet either if it does fall off the dash!!

Well I had a similar type of mount on my bike and it fell off at 30 kph and bounced along the road, plenty of scratches on the case but the gorilla glass was flawless afterwards so I was happy.

To all the people who've bought quad cores lately, are you finding the battery ok with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Well I had a similar type of mount on my bike and it fell off at 30 kph and bounced along the road, plenty of scratches on the case but the gorilla glass was flawless afterwards so I was happy.

To all the people who've bought quad cores lately, are you finding the battery ok with them?

Yup mines great :D I love laughing at iphone ****.

Yup mines great :D I love laughing at iphone ****.

Not with your S3 I hope!! ?? :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85055993&postcount=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Traded that in for a phone that worked, sold that then bought my sexy Lenovo :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement