Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Anyone else waiting for the Xiaomi Mi3? Toss up between it and the next Nexus for me, whichever releases first gets my cash. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Anyone else waiting for the Xiaomi Mi3? Toss up between it and the next Nexus for me, whichever releases first gets my cash. :D
    Looking at the Mi2a myself, not the cheapest Chinese phone but I'm hearing the Xiaomi are one of the better brands to import from China. Even looking at their website, gives out a very Apple vibe. Whether that's a good thing or not, I'm not sure. Don't know if I'm entirely convinced by MIUI either.

On a different note, Zopo are now putting Gorilla Glass on all their C2 phones. It was one of the things that put them behind other 5" phones in China so a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

What site are you thinking of buying the Mi3 from when it releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I got one of these phones for my o/h, anyone have an idea of what delivery from Merimobiles is like with the DHL option?

So MeriMobile are selling the HTC One X (32GB) for €255 at the moment. Something I'm missing, or possibly a fake? Crazy cheap for one.

http://www.merimobiles.com/HTC_G23_One_X_S720e_3G_4G_Smartphone_4_7_1280_72_p/meri5637.htm?setCurrencyId=33

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »
    So MeriMobile are selling the HTC One X (32GB) for €255 at the moment. Something I'm missing, or possibly a fake? Crazy cheap for one.

http://www.merimobiles.com/HTC_G23_One_X_S720e_3G_4G_Smartphone_4_7_1280_72_p/meri5637.htm?setCurrencyId=33

That's about right for that phone, be over a year old now I would guess - my mate got a bill pay one for free off Vodaphone recently, not the best of phones IMO...

Edit : apologies actually its not the one she had, looks slightly bigger than her one, looks a good price, not sure if it's genuine, might not be....

Fieldog wrote: »
    That's about right for that phone, be over a year old now I would guess - my mate got a bill pay one for free off Vodaphone recently, not the best of phones IMO...

Edit : apologies actually its not the one she had, looks slightly bigger than her one, looks a good price, not sure if it's genuine, might not be....
    They are selling for £355 on Amazon at the mo. You may be thinking of the Desire X? The One X is a fantastic phone, brilliant screen and nice unibody feel. Sense 5 is coming to the device soon too, bringing Blinkfeed and Android 4.2.2.

From what I can tell, it is legit. MeriMobiles sell a few HTC phones too, but hard to take a risk on one.

They are selling for £355 on Amazon at the mo. You may be thinking of the Desire X? The One X is a fantastic phone, brilliant screen and nice unibody feel. Sense 5 is coming to the device soon too, bringing Blinkfeed and Android 4.2.2.

From what I can tell, it is legit. MeriMobiles sell a few HTC phones too, but hard to take a risk on one.

I think the phone she got was a HTC One SV, obviously the little brother of this phone....

(same equivalent of the Wfs to the Desire HD from what I can gather)

I got a G3S off this Merimobiles crowd, and after reading a few reviews afterward I'm a bit concerned as to will it arrive before OH birthday at end of the month... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

MJ434 wrote: »
    What site are you thinking of buying the Mi3 from when it releases?

Probably Merimobiles, it'll depend on who has it I guess. GizChina usually has discounts on phones with various sites when they release so I'll be keeping a watch there too.

Only concern I'm having is that it's now looking very square along the edges. Hoping they'll include expandable storage as well.
    Looking at the Mi2a myself, not the cheapest Chinese phone but I'm hearing the Xiaomi are one of the better brands to import from China. Even looking at their website, gives out a very Apple vibe. Whether that's a good thing or not, I'm not sure. Don't know if I'm entirely convinced by MIUI either.

Yeah that was the big selling point on them for me over the likes of Jiayu. MIUI isn't bad (seems like a cross between Android and iOS) and is apparently updated very regularly but AFAIK you can put stock Android on any of their devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I got one of these phones for my o/h, anyone have an idea of what delivery from Merimobiles is like with the DHL option?

It takes them about 3 days to actually despatch the order, but DHL usually deliver within 3 days once they get it. I placed my order on the 30th July and received it on the Tuesday 6th August, would have been the Monday except for the bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

has any one bought a Lenovo K900?

eamonnq wrote: »
    It takes them about 3 days to actually despatch the order, but DHL usually deliver within 3 days once they get it. I placed my order on the 30th July and received it on the Tuesday 6th August, would have been the Monday except for the bank holiday.

Phew, weight off my mind, cheers Eamonn - how are you finding it as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I'm currently undecided between these two phones, the iOcean x7 youth turbo and the Mlais MX58 air.

I'd appreciate opinions on which would be better, or any other phones at the same price.

Phew, weight off my mind, cheers Eamonn - how are you finding it as a matter of interest?

Tis only a great yoke altogether. Am delighted with it. Sat-Nav was a bit slow initially but seems to be fine now too, am using Sygic app for that as it somehow seems to be more accurate than Google Maps Navigation.

Tis only a great yoke altogether. Am delighted with it. Sat-Nav was a bit slow initially but seems to be fine now too, am using Sygic app for that as it somehow seems to be more accurate than Google Maps Navigation.

Cool,

Will bear that in mind regarding the GPS, buying it for my gf, I'm sure she'll be happy out with it.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Folks, I want to get my borther a smart android phone for passing his leaving cert.
    I am going to spend about €100 and am looking at this

Is that ok for the money? Or is there a better option - off the cuff?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Folks, I want to get my borther a smart android phone for passing his leaving cert.
    I am going to spend about €100 and am looking at this

Is that ok for the money? Or is there a better option - off the cuff?

With customs and VAT that will definitely be more than €100. Probably closer to €150. Despite the processor being a quad core, it's hard to know what real world performance will be like as each individual core is relatively weak compared to other phones. I think you'd be better off getting one with a better dual core. Everything else is fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Being pretty much an Android veteran since the Hero, I decided to take the plunge on the iOcean x7 Elite. Seems decent value and I got the 3000mAH+extended back case combo too for another 12 euro.

I've been getting fed up with my Xperia S tbh and toying around with the Nexus 4 put me off buying it. This looks like a decent alternative for the Nexus 4. Can't wait to get my dirty paws on it. XDA has lots of happy users and there's custom roms around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

With customs and VAT that will definitely be more than €100. Probably closer to €150. Despite the processor being a quad core, it's hard to know what real world performance will be like as each individual core is relatively weak compared to other phones. I think you'd be better off getting one with a better dual core. Everything else is fine.

Thanks for that Almightcushion.
    Hadn't considered the Vat/ Duty part.
    I am going to buy from HongKong Geek because they have a duty repayment promise meaning the duty payable is repaid :-)
    Buying this instead - taking your advice on the dual core recommendation! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

My G3S will not automatically go into sleep mode for whatever reason and is draining the battery.

I had about 40% battery at 12:30 last night going to sleep. I was woken at 4ish by the low battery notification...thought that was a bit strange but at 4 in the morning I just plugged it in and off back to sleep.

Up this morning and now phone wont go into sleep mode unless I do it myself.

What could be the causes of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

See if a reboot fixes it, if not, use an app with sleep manager abilities or flash a different rom on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Thanks Thargor, the reboot did the job.

Any idea why this happens though, just to try and understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All computers need a reboot now and then, my pc starts going to sh1t after a few days aswell if I dont reboot it, just one of those things, my phone I tend to reboot it once a week to keep it nice and smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Some apps also stop mobiles from deep sleeping.

T-Bird wrote: »
    Some apps also stop mobiles from deep sleeping.

Very true, some dodgy apps can cause it, (I know none of us really do) but check the permissions of the app before you install it from the play store you can see what can cause the phone not to go into deep sleep...

One of the great things about Android 4.3 is the ability to stop permissions given to an app, even when not rooted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Very true, some dodgy apps can cause it, (I know none of us really do) but check the permissions of the app before you install it from the play store you can see what can cause the phone not to go into deep sleep...

One of the great things about Android 4.3 is the ability to stop permissions given to an app, even when not rooted...

Had problem with WhatsApp on my G3 at start of year. I just uninstalled it because it was never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I uninstalled most of the apps on my phone lately. Now it lasts two days on light use again. Facebook is particular hog. You get too many alerts with that installed anyway I'd rather not have my phone beeping at me unless it's a phone call or text message.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

BullBauld wrote: »
    My G3S will not automatically go into sleep mode for whatever reason and is draining the battery.

I had about 40% battery at 12:30 last night going to sleep. I was woken at 4ish by the low battery notification...thought that was a bit strange but at 4 in the morning I just plugged it in and off back to sleep.

Up this morning and now phone wont go into sleep mode unless I do it myself.

What could be the causes of this?

This happened to me. The battery isn't calibrated correctly. Just download BatteryCalibration from Google Play and follow the instructions.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Folks, I have been researching this thread for sometime & I plumped for an UMI X2 from merimobiles.
    http://www.merimobiles.com/umi-x2-android4-2-mt6589t-1-5ghz-quad-core-dual-sim-5-inch-full-hd-1080p_p/meri7334.htm
    All in €250 for the Turbo version with DHL delivery, cost me €18 in customs duty, should have been a multiple really.

Smoothest, most responsive phone I've ever owned, the 5" 1920*1080 screen is a triumph.
    Using it a week now & no glitches, this really is a next generation device bar no 4G reception.

• Advertisement

Scratch that!!! GPS is crap on the phone, once you get into a built up area, it loses your location so starts directing you from where it thinks you are rather than where you actually are. So as you approach a junction it does not know which side you are approaching from or which direction you are travelling. Was given a fix by the seller which appeared to have improved things, but am not sure whether I am expected to apply the 'fix' everytime before I use the GPS function.

If anyone is looking for a phone (but don't need to use it as a sat-nav) I would highly recommend it, but as I like to use the SatNav function it might be going up on adverts shortly!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement