Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

I had the G3. There's no functioning GPS on it. It uses Google location as an estimated positional tool. Perhaps that's what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

eamonnq wrote: »
    Scratch that!!! GPS is crap on the phone, once you get into a built up area, it loses your location so starts directing you from where it thinks you are rather than where you actually are. So as you approach a junction it does not know which side you are approaching from or which direction you are travelling. Was given a fix by the seller which appeared to have improved things, but am not sure whether I am expected to apply the 'fix' everytime before I use the GPS function.

If anyone is looking for a phone (but don't need to use it as a sat-nav) I would highly recommend it, but as I like to use the SatNav function it might be going up on adverts shortly!!

Just what I needed to hear after hers was delivered today, ****s sake, should have gone with my gut on the Cubot GT99 I think.... :-(

Edit : you try this fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Fieldog wrote: »
    Just what I needed to hear after hers was delivered today, ****s sake, should have gone with my gut on the Cubot GT99 I think.... :-(

Edit : you try this fix?

Problem is apparently widely known about and any of the 'fixes' only give a quick fix when you start the sat nav function on the phones (i.e it picks up your position fairly accurately and quickly, but once you start driving you lose the 'lock' on the satellites and therefore the app does not know exactly where you are or which direction you are travelling.

I think the Cubot GT99 uses the same chip, so is likely to suffer the same issues. (http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?21600-Cubot-Gt99-GPS-solution )

I will most likely keep the phone, and use a TOMTOM when I need a sat-nav, but was handy to have the function on the phone. When I initially tried the fix, and used Sygic to navigate it seemed fine and am not sure why this was, but my Sygic trial has run out now and I won't be purchasing it for use on this phone anyway.

NOT SURE what was meant to be in the white space ? Another fix ?

Yeah it was a YouTube video for a fix, must have linked it wrong, been googling like a mad thing trying to see is there something to make it better...

I assume you tried -

1. screen) Settings -> Location access,
    2. screen) Location access -> click on "GPS satellites",
    3. screen) Enable both GPS EPO and A-GPS,
    4. screen) In EPO Settings check the auto download, and click the Download button.

du Maurier wrote: »
    I had the G3. There's no functioning GPS on it. It uses Google location as an estimated positional tool. Perhaps that's what you're getting.

There is a GPS function on the phone, and I think the problem is that the GPS antenna or the chip in the phone does not pick up the satellites well enough to function properly as a satnav. I have tried various apps and GPS test apps etc., and it does detect and get a position, but once you start moving, it no longer locks on your position and must start 'guessing' as to where you are, and what direction you are travelling. When you are in a built up area, it can suddenly jump your position to a nearby street, and then give you directions based on that positioning, which is next to useless when you don't know where you are going!!

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a YouTube video for a fix, must have linked it wrong, been googling like a mad thing trying to see is there something to make it better...

I assume you tried -

1. screen) Settings -> Location access,
    2. screen) Location access -> click on "GPS satellites",
    3. screen) Enable both GPS EPO and A-GPS,
    4. screen) In EPO Settings check the auto download, and click the Download button.

Yep, all the fixes seem to be a variant of that, but all it does is give you your current position fairly quickly, (quicker than if you did not do the above), but once you start driving it loses your position again (and again and again).

Yep, all the fixes seem to be a variant of that, but all it does is give you your current position fairly quickly, (quicker than if you did not do the above), but once you start driving it loses your position again (and again and again).

Its not something she will use all the time but I'd like it to work should she need it...

This is the video I tried linking :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnY_425NgB0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'll give that one a go when she has it up and running.... :)

Its not something she will use all the time but I'd like it to work should she need it...

This is the video I tried linking :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnY_425NgB0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'll give that one a go when she has it up and running.... :)

Yep, same sort of routine as the other 'fixes', initially it looks as if it has done the job (when you turn it on and check your location), but once you start driving/moving it loses the lock and does not know where you are. Approaching a roundabout, it could think you are on any one of the approach roads, or exiting any one of them, so you can imagine how useful the instruction(s) might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the MTK6589 chip, which 99% of cheap Chinese phones use. Apologies if already posted, but you could try this: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/23/how-to-fix-poor-gps-on-mediatek-phones/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

Folks, I have been researching this thread for sometime & I plumped for an UMI X2 from merimobiles.
    http://www.merimobiles.com/umi-x2-android4-2-mt6589t-1-5ghz-quad-core-dual-sim-5-inch-full-hd-1080p_p/meri7334.htm
    All in €250 for the Turbo version with DHL delivery, cost me €18 in customs duty, should have been a multiple really.

Smoothest, most responsive phone I've ever owned, the 5" 1920*1080 screen is a triumph.
    Using it a week now & no glitches, this really is a next generation device bar no 4G reception.

If it had DLNA, Miracast or MHL I'd be typing this message on it.
    Until then though I think I'm gonna have to hold out, possibly for the ZOPO zp990

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the MTK6589 chip, which 99% of cheap Chinese phones use. Apologies if already posted, but you could try this: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/23/how-to-fix-poor-gps-on-mediatek-phones/

Yep, tried that and it is the same as the other 'fixes' in that it gets you an initial lock much quicker but once you start moving you are arsed!!

GPS just does not seem to work on these phones and any of the fixes all do something similar. No point in even trying to use it as a sat nav in a built up area as it jumps you from street to street and does not know what directions to give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

A bit of warning for anyone buying a black Jiayu G3s. There's a few places just at the edge of the screen where the black paint has been scratched off and I can see silver glaring back at me. Its nothing major but those scratches came about from normal use, didn't drop it or anything.
    If you're planning on reselling I'd advise going for a silver one.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

do customs contact you to ask to pay before it's delivered? my thl w8s is with delivery courier (DHL) so asumming no customs fee for me

SimmerDean wrote: »
    do customs contact you to ask to pay before it's delivered? my thl w8s is with delivery courier (DHL) so asumming no customs fee for me

Let us know what the phones like please, it was on my shortlist for a while :D

No, they will ask you for payment when they deliver it (if they are charging you for customs).

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

DHL are strange, I ordered a €250 phone & got charged €18 customs, should be 23% + €6.50 handling so I was laughing :)

I had signed up for tracking text alerts so they send me an e-mail to either pay beforehand by card or cash at the door.
    I chose the former I they gave me an authorization number to give to the driver to confirm payment.

DHL are strange, I ordered a €250 phone & got charged €18 customs, should be 23% + €6.50 handling so I was laughing :)

I had signed up for tracking text alerts so they send me an e-mail to either pay beforehand by card or cash at the door.
    I chose the former I they gave me an authorization number to give to the driver to confirm payment.

They write down a lower charge on the product so customs dont charge you that much, thats why it was only €18.......i think

Folks, I have been researching this thread for sometime & I plumped for an UMI X2 from merimobiles.
    http://www.merimobiles.com/umi-x2-android4-2-mt6589t-1-5ghz-quad-core-dual-sim-5-inch-full-hd-1080p_p/meri7334.htm
    All in €250 for the Turbo version with DHL delivery, cost me €18 in customs duty, should have been a multiple really.

Smoothest, most responsive phone I've ever owned, the 5" 1920*1080 screen is a triumph.
    Using it a week now & no glitches, this really is a next generation device bar no 4G reception.

How is the Sat-Nav/GPS function on the phone ?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

How is the Sat-Nav/GPS function on the phone ?

As useless as the rest of them Mediatek powered phones, I'd a Jiayu G2 previously & it's no improvement on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I can coax a decent GPS signal out of my G3, I know its not as good as a Garmin or anywhere near but I use it to navigate the back roads around Wicklow on my bike, set a target 30km away and go.

The first thing I do is let this run for a while:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en

It will say 9 sats in view straight away then 30 seconds later it will say 9 or more in use, then I press Home and go straight into Maps, fix my location and once that happens it stays fixed and its as good as any other GPS. Ive run every GPS fixer going at some point though so maybe one of them changed something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Great thread guys!
    I was just about to order a G3S until I read about the GPS issues. It's probably not a deal breaker, but is there any of these phones that have a good functioning GPS?
    If this is related to the 6589 chip, what other chips compare?

Thanks in advance

Thargor wrote: »
    It will say 9 sats in view straight away then 30 seconds later it will say 9 or more in use, then I press Home and go straight into Maps, fix my location and once that happens it stays fixed and its as good as any other GPS. Ive run every GPS fixer going at some point though so maybe one of them changed something.

It is no problem getting the initial first fix, but when you start moving it loses the 'lock' and therefore cannot tell exactly where you are quickly enough to keep your position accurately or tell you decent directions.

Seems to be a problem with all the MTK chip phones, I only bought the Mlais MX58 Air instead of the Vowney V5 because someone on a forum said that the GPS worked well on the Mlais MX58PRO, so I though that maybe that manufacturer did not have the problem, but alas it does.

Phone is absolutely excellent otherwise, but am thinking of moving it on (or returning it to China) as I really like to have the sat-nav function working.

It is no problem getting the initial first fix, but when you start moving it loses the 'lock' and therefore cannot tell exactly where you are quickly enough to keep your position accurately or tell you decent directions.

Seems to be a problem with all the MTK chip phones, I only bought the Mlais MX58 Air instead of the Vowney V5 because someone on a forum said that the GPS worked well on the Mlais MX58PRO, so I though that maybe that manufacturer did not have the problem, but alas it does.

Phone is absolutely excellent otherwise, but am thinking of moving it on (or returning it to China) as I really like to have the sat-nav function working.

Another fix - worth a go? :-)

http://pastebin.com/EkSUgYcu

Another fix - worth a go? :-)

http://pastebin.com/EkSUgYcu

No, does the same thing as the other fixes.

This line:
    "Go to the tab Sattelites - and wait for the signal to lock (this may take a long time!)"

You can get it to lock quickly, but once you are on the move you lose the lock and the thing does not know where you are.

No, does the same thing as the other fixes.

This line:
    "Go to the tab Sattelites - and wait for the signal to lock (this may take a long time!)"

You can get it to lock quickly, but once you are on the move you lose the lock and the thing does not know where you are.

Did you install the patch with cwm?

Is it easy to get cwm on this phone I wonder?

I think regardless of the fixes, they obviously only do software changes, but the real problem is that the 'GPS antenna' in the phones is simply not good enough to do the job. Any of the phones with the MTK chip apparently suffer the problem, great phones but crap sat-nav!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Can someone recommend a phone for me? There's too many to choose from and don't know which phones/stores should be avoided.

Don't need a big full hd screen. Budget is 120, 1gb ram and a decent gpu are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I need to throw together a list of the options and get a mod to edit the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Heh thread could probably just be renamed Chinese Android Phones Discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

"Can someone recommend a phone for me? There's too many to choose from and don't know which phones/stores should be avoided.

Don't need a big full hd screen. Budget is 120, 1gb ram and a decent gpu are a must. "

I got recommended a THL W100. didnt order it yet though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement