Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Who recommended that and did they say why ?

Uses the MTK chip so will have issues with SatNav functions, if you intend using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Thinking of ordering this from Mixeshop.

Just curious would the phone come with English pre-installed or would it be in Chinese?and would it be able to access the play store out of the box or would it need to be rooted?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Thinking of ordering this from Mixeshop.

Just curious would the phone come with English pre-installed or would it be in Chinese?and would it be able to access the play store out of the box or would it need to be rooted?

Cheers!

I'd get this instead.. basically the same price (actually cheaper since free shipping) but has higher resolution screen and there's much more information out there about it. Looks like a pretty safe bet.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-Singaporepost-Original-Lenovo-A820-phone-Quad-core-CPU-4GB-ROM-1GB-RAM-8-0M/910034744.html

:D

Uses the MTK chip so will have issues with SatNav functions, if you intend using them.

http://www.merimobiles.com/verne-v5-mt6589-quad-core-3g-wcdma-android4-2-1-1-2ghz-dual-sim-5-0-ips-1280-720-dual-camera_p/meri7415.htm

Same goes for the SatNav on this, but great price and I think there is a bit of a 'community'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi Guys , just out of interest which dual sim phone offers the best Satnav ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Barr wrote: »
    Hi Guys , just out of interest which dual sim phone offers the best Satnav ?

Would like to know this too. What about the phones with the snapdragon chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

im thinking, as far as knowledge goes, the newman n2 is running an exynos chip (same as galaxy s3), therefore would not be too bad for gps. (however, i think there were some screen issues before).

in terms of snapdragons, i think htc's are the only ones i saw (butterfly, 600). however, they are much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How often do you really need GPS in Ireland anyway honestly? Get a cheap Garmin ripoff from Ebay and leave it in the car :D

Thargor wrote: »
    How often do you really need GPS in Ireland anyway honestly? Get a cheap Garmin ripoff from Ebay and leave it in the car :D

I need it a lot, and would rather have it on the phone than have to have a separate sat-nav, but will probably stick with the phone and get a TOMTOM for the car.

Spipov wrote: »
    im thinking, as far as knowledge goes, the newman n2 is running an exynos chip (same as galaxy s3), therefore would not be too bad for gps. (however, i think there were some screen issues before).

in terms of snapdragons, i think htc's are the only ones i saw (butterfly, 600). however, they are much more expensive.

The FAEA F1 also use the snapdragon chip.

http://www.faeamobile.com/faea-f1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

recommended off chinaphonearena forums. is there a better one for the money ( about 110 euro plus customs) this thread is a big read

I didnt pounce yet so am open to mre advice... phone wont be used for gaming. just calls text / light browsing / agry birds games at best

recommended off chinaphonearena forums. is there a better one for the money ( about 110 euro plus customs) this thread is a big read

I didnt pounce yet so am open to mre advice... phone wont be used for gaming. just calls text / light browsing / agry birds games at best

Buy my G300 on adverts!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

cheers Eamonnq but i will chance my ar with the chinese lads. i have bought 2 tablets and a mk808 from there with good results. i will stick a review up here in a few weeks / months when the item arrives and gets a good run out.

as it stands still going to punt for the thl w100 will order later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

if i paid for DHL delivery id be using my jiayu right now arrrghghghghhh. sometimes i frustrate myself

if i paid for DHL delivery id be using my jiayu right now arrrghghghghhh. sometimes i frustrate myself

Yeah, but your pocket would have been 20 euro lighter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Went with this in the end.€105 including DHL.

Probably can't go wrong at that price, waterproof too!!! Only concern might be that battery size?? Built-in 1760mAh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

http://www.jiayu.es/software.php?soft&jiayu=G3QC?soft=&jiayu=G3QC

New Jiayu G3S software - has Eamonnhq or anyone tried giving it a go? :-)

EDIT : Done - tis an awful lot better than it was in my opinion.... seems like a whole different animal

Aint had the chance to test GPS but according to the changelog it got some sort of "tweaking"

Fieldog wrote: »
    http://www.jiayu.es/software.php?soft&jiayu=G3QC?soft=&jiayu=G3QC

New Jiayu G3S software - has Eamonnhq or anyone tried giving it a go? :-)

EDIT : Done - tis an awful lot better than it was in my opinion.... seems like a whole different animal

Aint had the chance to test GPS but according to the changelog it got some sort of "tweaking"

What phone did you try this on ? I don't have a G3S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

I have a G3S too so I want to try it, how did you install it? any guides?

• Advertisement

I have a G3S too so I want to try it, how did you install it? any guides?

Are you rooted?

I just followed the thread from Xda here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2397470&page=3

Once your rooted you download the mtk app from play store, add the recovery file and the ROM zip to your SD card, when you open the app you flash your custom recovery, then install the ROM from the custom recovery....

eamonnq wrote: »
    What phone did you try this on ? I don't have a G3S.

Oops, for some reason I thought you had a G3S, apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Apparently the Mi3 is being released September 5th, anyone know how long it usually takes for them to make their way to the international market after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Anyone able to help me out. Im looking for a copy of recovery-from-boot.p from a jiayu G3. The one on this phone has been deleted and no amount of flashing recovery options is letting me boot into recovery (phone just powers back off). If memory serves correct that file should restore the original recovery mode which might help.

Edit: it should in the system folder (and might be a hidden file)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Anyone able to help me out. Im looking for a copy of recovery-from-boot.p from a jiayu G3. The one on this phone has been deleted and no amount of flashing recovery options is letting me boot into recovery (phone just powers back off). If memory serves correct that file should restore the original recovery mode which might help.

Edit: it should in the system folder (and might be a hidden file)

Your model should be on that Jiayu link I posted above, think the stock Recovery's are all the same tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Fieldog wrote: »
    Your model should be on that Jiayu link I posted above, think the stock Recovery's are all the same tbh....

Thanks for the link and,

Yes it does ... but I cant get into any recovery or seemingly flash any at this point. Mobile Uncle flashes but the same result happens. The phone begins to boot into recovery and turns off. From my initial time rooting the phone I remember if the file I mentioned above was still in place CWM (or any other custom recovery) wouldn't stick after the initial reboot as the phone replaced it with the stock recovery again. So I'm thinking if I can get that file back into place maybe it will fix whatever has gone tits up (hopefully!!)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Thanks for the link and,

Yes it does ... but I cant get into any recovery or seemingly flash any at this point. Mobile Uncle flashes but the same result happens. The phone begins to boot into recovery and turns off. From my initial time rooting the phone I remember if the file I mentioned above was still in place CWM (or any other custom recovery) wouldn't stick after the initial reboot as the phone replaced it with the stock recovery again. So I'm thinking if I can get that file back into place maybe it will fix whatever has gone tits up (hopefully!!)

I got ours pre-rooted so i'm not sure why your having the issue....

Try a different recovery maybe?

I used Team Win Recovery, apart from being upside down it did the job.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

got my thl w8s yesterday after it said it was with courier on monday. it then went back to customs for a few days. rang up dhl and sent on invoice and after all that i didn't get charged a cent. very happy with it so far. fast and responsive and camera seems good(not tested properly yet). no sign of any chinese apps on it. @ €225 i'd recommend it for the specs at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Is it worth having this thread retitled to chinese phones? Possibly with a list of phones in the OP with links to reviews by users in the thread?
    I'm getting my hands on a lenovo and would give a review as normal, might be an idea maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Went with this in the end.€105 including DHL.

dhl are customs agents for enda kenny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement