Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

bidiots wrote: »
    Is it worth having this thread retitled to chinese phones? Possibly with a list of phones in the OP with links to reviews by users in the thread?
    I'm getting my hands on a lenovo and would give a review as normal, might be an idea maybe?

got lenovo a830 love it !
    great screen fast and loads of roms on needrom.
    150 approx plus whatever customs reckon its worth.(usually 25% of value, steep!)
    dont use DHL people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I dont want to sound paranoid, but since we started threads like these and recommended sites like mixeshop and dhl, customs have hit every phone I've ordered, as well as ones ive ordered for friends. The last phone I got through a different site without dhl, and was not hit with customs. So either your correct about dhl, or they read boards!
    These phones are a nice experiment but when customs tax gets added, it spoils the fun for everyone and makes it less of an inexpensive experiment:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I keep meaning to PM a mod, what will we call it? "The Generic Chinese Smartphones Thread"? "Cheap Generic Smartphones"? Those names will turn people off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Fieldog wrote: »
    Are you rooted?

I just followed the thread from Xda here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2397470&page=3

Once your rooted you download the mtk app from play store, add the recovery file and the ROM zip to your SD card, when you open the app you flash your custom recovery, then install the ROM from the custom recovery....

It was rooted when I did it, I downloaded the files and did what the guide said, it went ok and the new rom is working but it unrooted the phone, did it do that to your's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah I keep meaning to PM a mod, what will we call it? "The Generic Chinese Smartphones Thread"? "Cheap Generic Smartphones"? Those names will turn people off...

maybe just something like 'budget android phones', could include more than just Chinese then and might not turn people off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It was rooted when I did it, I downloaded the files and did what the guide said, it went ok and the new rom is working but it unrooted the phone, did it do that to your's?

Didn't unroot mine, was your only a temporary root?

I actually payed 6 quid for the phone to be rooted as I bought it if it makes any difference?

How you finding the GPS, any improvement?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

bidiots wrote: »
    maybe just something like 'budget android phones', could include more than just Chinese then and might not turn people off...

Chinese Android Phones - nice & simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I bought this Cubot GT99 last night, i hope i'm not waiting too long for it with the free postage. I've had an iphone 4 since launch and i couldn't resist buying a new toy :o

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Cubot-GT99-4-5-Inch-HD-Screen-MTK6589-Quad-Core-Smartphone-1GB-4GB-12-0MP-Camera-Android-4-2-OS-with-3G-GPS-Black-316504.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

"Chinese Android Smartphones" sounds fine to me, if it quacks like a duck and all that jazz. Really it's down to whether or not people can look past the country of origin (and let's be fair here, Samsung are Korean and HTC are from Taiwan so it's not worlds away), if they can't well pity for them but if they can then there's some great tech to be had for very reasonable prices.

Id already PM'd Davy for Budget Android Phones, that'll do seeing as theres a few Korean and Taiwan brands knocking around aswell plus it will cover when an occasional Vodafone-O2-Three devic deal pops up on Bargain Alerts aswell as people dont really think of those as Chinese phones even though they usually are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Id already PM'd Davy for Budget Android Phones,

Wot ? No windows phones allowed??!!!

No Blackberry either, make an also-ran thread for the losers yourself if you want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Am I right in thinking most of these phones are plastic? Interested in getting a cheap phone to play around with and I'd like a sturdy enough one if at all possible. Its impossible to tell on most of those sites what the material actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Id already PM'd Davy for Budget Android Phones, that'll do seeing as theres a few Korean and Taiwan brands knocking around aswell plus it will cover when an occasional Vodafone-O2-Three devic deal pops up on Bargain Alerts aswell as people dont really think of those as Chinese phones even though they usually are.

How about "Unknown Android Phones" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

No Blackberry either, make an also-ran thread for the losers yourself if you want :D

You seriously don't expect to have threads about Blackberry phones in a forum called 'Android Devices' :P

could we link to this thread http://www.modaco.com/topic/359664-offtopic-china-phone-discussion-20032013/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

How's about.

!!111 CUSTOMS LOOKIE HERE!!!! Cheap chinese android phones!"

Oh yeah, forgot it was an Android board not a Smartphone board, are there any decent Android Nokias though? I thought they were Windows exclusive these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Oh yeah, forgot it was an Android board not a Smartphone board, are there any decent Android Nokias though? I thought they were Windows exclusive these days...

No Android Nokia's, they all use Windows...

Would love to see a Nokia Android phone even though it will never happen, I think MS have shares in Nokia, not sure....

So would I, I was a lifelong Nokia user until they commited suicide by turning their backs on Android, they could have been the main Samsung competitor, or grown as big as Samsung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Eamonq how are you getting on with your MX58 ?

Expecting mine early next week.

first thing I want to do is create a back up incase/when I make a balls of it by deleting a system app or something.

it is as simple as booting CWM and creating a backup? or can i flash it using odin? how do you boot it to recovery mode?

I have a galaxy Y at the moment and I've flashed that and restored that umpteen times. so i know I'l probably do something stupid to the MX58 that needs restoring... so need to get it prepared before i make a balls of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Title updated slightly

Thanks Dvay, [Budget Android Phones] doesnt really cut it now that I look at it though, I think we should put Chinese in the title as even if the phone doesnt come from China people still know whats meant by that, Generic Chinese Androids maybe? Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

I agree with putting Chinese in the title it should be "Chinese Android Phones"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo got billed for the Lenovo for 21 euro :(

DHL? How much was the phone?

Some interesting phones. None of these have mediatek cpu's so they are more expensive, definitely not budget phones :)

Huawei Ascend P6 - Thinnest smartphone
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Huawei-Ascend-P6-4-7-inch-incell-screen-6-1mm-ultrathin-slim-mobile-phone-dual-SIM/1004398972.html

ZTE V975 GEEK - Fastest (even beating the samsung s4 in benchmarks) Has a new intel cpu + dual core gpu.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZTE-Geek-Geek-V975-3G-mobile-phone-Platinum-Grey-WCDMA-GSM-Dual-nuclear-power-plant-thread/1214866401.html

ZTE Nubia Z5 mini - Good alternative to xiaomi mi2s as you can add additional storage up to 32gb.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZTE-Nubia-Z5mini-1-5GHz-APQ8064-Quad-Core-4-7-inch-HD-OGS-Android-Phone-Spainish/1176589621.html

Lenovo k900 - Same intel cpu/gpu as the ZTE V975 but has a massive 5.5" screen @ 1920x1080
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lenovo-K900-Intel-Z2580-2-0GHz-Dual-Core-2G-16G-Android-4-2-Android-phone-5/961468298.html

Xiaomi mi3 - Will likely be the best value high end phone. Snapdragon 800 2.3ghz quad core cpu + Adreno 320 gpu. Screen size not confirmed, either 5 or 5.5".
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-new-original-Xiaomi-Mi3-M3-2G-RAM-32G-ROM-Quad-Core-3800mAh-5-inches-13/1227780441.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I dont like the change davy, put it back haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Forty for me,merimobiles messed up invoice on pack

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont like the change davy, put it back haha

I'm not mad on it either, but don't think anything will please everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

spix wrote: »
    DHL? How much was the phone?