Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Theres a few, what size are you looking for?

Something from 4" to 5" I'd say would suit best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hey,

I got the Acer liquid E2 in the post today from Amazon.fr. Looks good but it's in Chinese, haven't got a clue how to get it to English.

I've found instructions for hard resets on the web but it still needs me to know what buttons I'm pressing, which I don't, obviously.

Does anybody have any ideas on a solution please? Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Barr wrote: »
    I’m looking for a dual sim android at the moment as well. This is the link to the Acer thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056992918&page=8

Would this be the best value dual sim or is there better to be had in this thread ?

I purchased this phone from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008V5UCI6/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_1

I used parcel motel for delivery so got free UK delivery - cost was €120 (no customs). I'm pretty happy with the phone although its not really useful as an mp3 player as the sound isnt the greatest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Something from 4" to 5" I'd say would suit best.

Get the Jiayu G3S or the Lenovo A820 for a 4.5 inch or the Lenovo A830 for 5 inch, I owned both Lenovos and found the A820 to be better but the A830 is more sturdy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

If Gizchina are to be believed Xiaomi will be releasing a WCDMA version of the Red Rice at some point. :eek:

Get the Jiayu G3S or the Lenovo A820 for a 4.5 inch or the Lenovo A830 for 5 inch, I owned both Lenovos and found the A820 to be better but the A830 is more sturdy.

Thanks Mick , how do you find the GPS on them - is it any good?

ams wrote: »
    I purchased this phone from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008V5UCI6/ref=pe_385721_37038051_pe_217191_31005151_3p_M3T1_dp_1

I used parcel motel for delivery so got free UK delivery - cost was €120 (no customs). I'm pretty happy with the phone although its not really useful as an mp3 player as the sound isnt the greatest.

Seems like a decent option. Good reviews on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Seems like a decent option. Good reviews on Amazon.

Looks like a nice phone but isn't the best value tbh. There's loads of ones with a similar spec for around 70 euro such as http://www.merimobiles.com/jiayu-g2-dual-sim-dual-core-4-0-inch-ips-480x800-android-4-0-dual-camera-3g-wcdma-512mb-ram_p/meri7442.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Which of these phones/brands have the best or most active ROM community? I'm looking at getting something like the G2S or something similar but I'd like to be able to upgrade to 4.2 or 4.3 using AOKP or CM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/S9920-4-0-Inch-WVGA-Capacitive-Screen-MTK6577-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-OS-Smart-Phone-4GB-ROM-5-0MP-Camera-White-317313.html

Any views on this phone? Any obvious flaws? I don't really have a clue about phones, I'm just looking to buy this as a replacement for someone who has one of those crap old facebook phones that vodaphone used to sell for next to nothing.

It'll be on vodafone and will need to be able to connect to using one of their data plans, and be able to add apps like words with friends, scramble, etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks Mick , how do you find the GPS on them - is it any good?

GPS on the Lenovo is good never used Jiayu.

Which of these phones/brands have the best or most active ROM community? I'm looking at getting something like the G2S or something similar but I'd like to be able to upgrade to 4.2 or 4.3 using AOKP or CM.

To be honest it's luck of the draw as to which phones get an active community, there's no real hard and fast rule although the greater exposure phones like these are getting nowadays seems to be increasing the developer communities. IIRC Jiayu do periodic updates of their firmware but I think people were saying earlier in the thread that they're not great for supporting their older devices.

TBH if you want guaranteed development you'd be better off putting a bit more money together and getting a Xiaomi (or waiting for existing models to come down a bit in price). They get updates supposedly on a weekly basis to MIUI and you have the choice of flashing stock Android if you want it. I'd be of a similar mentality with wanting regular support and that's what's made me key in on buying from them.

If the Red Rice/Hongmi really is getting an WCDMA release I think it's only about €100 and the specs are rather impressive for that price-tag. You could want and see how much the MI2 models or even MI1S come down by when the MI3 is released too.

To be honest it's luck of the draw as to which phones get an active community, there's no real hard and fast rule although the greater exposure phones like these are getting nowadays seems to be increasing the developer communities. IIRC Jiayu do periodic updates of their firmware but I think people were saying earlier in the thread that they're not great for supporting their older devices.

TBH if you want guaranteed development you'd be better off putting a bit more money together and getting a Xiaomi (or waiting for existing models to come down a bit in price). They get updates supposedly on a weekly basis to MIUI and you have the choice of flashing stock Android if you want it. I'd be of a similar mentality with wanting regular support and that's what's made me key in on buying from them.

If the Red Rice/Hongmi really is getting an WCDMA release I think it's only about €100 and the specs are rather impressive for that price-tag. You could want and see how much the MI2 models or even MI1S come down by when the MI3 is released too.

Thanks. I'll look into the Xiaomis then, I don't mind spending a bit extra, especially if I can get stock Android on it. I'm mostly looking for a backup phone that I can play around with a bit and not be too worried about losing/breaking it.

Seems Google are after dropping the price of the Nexus 4 by $100 (which means the 5 must only be around the corner), wonder how much it'll impact sales from China.

Seems Google are after dropping the price of the Nexus 4 by $100 (which means the 5 must only be around the corner), wonder how much it'll impact sales from China.

I saw that, almost certainly pick one up if they don't sell out, stock android and instant updates for that price is incredible, not to mention excellent specs. I'll have to see how the cash is after EP and pick one up then if they're still available.

Lack of expandable memory is a major turn off for me with the Nexus 4 (hopefully Xiaomi will include it in the Mi3) given its relatively small capacity to begin with. Hopefully that'll be rectified with the Nexus 5.

Yeah I can see that being a problem for some people, i've a 16gb S3 with 64gb SD card now and since Google Music launched I've had little or no use of the music on my SD card. I could see myself switching to PAYG once my contract runs out and getting an unlimited data plan which would make me care even less about storage. Perfect if your in an area with good signal but I suppose not much use to those in more rural areas.

I'm now very excited about the Nexus 5 though :)

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/S9920-4-0-Inch-WVGA-Capacitive-Screen-MTK6577-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-OS-Smart-Phone-4GB-ROM-5-0MP-Camera-White-317313.html

Any views on this phone? Any obvious flaws? I don't really have a clue about phones, I'm just looking to buy this as a replacement for someone who has one of those crap old facebook phones that vodaphone used to sell for next to nothing.

It'll be on vodafone and will need to be able to connect to using one of their data plans, and be able to add apps like words with friends, scramble, etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

512 MB RAM? Dont do it, go back a few pages and pick one of the ones that people are actually happy with, we're coming to a time now of 2GB RAM being the minimum requirement, even 1 Gig these days feels like you're wading through tar, 512 is obsolete.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    512 MB RAM? Dont do it, go back a few pages and pick one of the ones that people are actually happy with, we're coming to a time now of 2GB RAM being the minimum requirement, even 1 Gig these days feels like you're wading through tar, 512 is obsolete.

Thanks! Any idea what price range they are? I'll take a look for them now :)

Im on a G3 myself and thinking of upgrading, havent started researching properly yet, sorry, have a read of the last 10-20 pages, Tallaghtmick and a few others were buying. Have a look on the vendor sites aswell like www.aliexpress.com and www.merimobiles.com, should be an option to see what their most popular phones are at the minute, theres so much dross out there you have to do a bit of research, especially now right at the shift from dual core/1 GB RAM to quad core/2 GB RAM.

Yeah I can see that being a problem for some people, i've a 16gb S3 with 64gb SD card now and since Google Music launched I've had little or no use of the music on my SD card. I could see myself switching to PAYG once my contract runs out and getting an unlimited data plan which would make me care even less about storage. Perfect if your in an area with good signal but I suppose not much use to those in more rural areas.

I'm now very excited about the Nexus 5 though :)

Yeah I have an unlimited data plan but as I currently live slap-bang in the middle of nowhere (and I get little to no mobile signal at work) it's of very little use to me. At least that argument has some semblance of sense to it though, Google's alternative argument for getting rid of expandable storage was that users were too stupid to be able to innately figure out how to use it. :rolleyes:

Going to compare the MI3 and the Nexus 5 when they're out, whichever gives the best bang for the fewest bucks gets the cash from me.

Thargor wrote: »
    Im on a G3 myself and thinking of upgrading, havent started researching properly yet, sorry, have a read of the last 10-20 pages, Tallaghtmick and a few others were buying. Have a look on the vendor sites aswell like www.aliexpress.com and www.merimobiles.com, should be an option to see what their most popular phones are at the minute, theres so much dross out there you have to do a bit of research, especially now right at the shift from dual core/1 GB RAM to quad core/2 GB RAM.

http://www.merimobiles.com/vsun-i5-wcdma-android4-0-4-dual-core-4-5-inch-qhd-960-540-ips-hdmi-gps-dual-sim_p/meri7633.htm

http://www.merimobiles.com/jiayu-g2-dual-core-4-0-inch-ips-480x800-android-4-0-dual-camera-3g-wcdma-1gb-ram_p/meri7443.htm

Are the 2G/3G requirements ok on these for Ireland?

Yeah 99% of these phones will work anywhere as far as I know, its how they make them, definitely Europe and Asia anyway. The specs aren't great on either of those (never heard of the Vsun) just warning you now, they'll probably be fine I mean, I play all the newest apps no problem on my G3 including heavy 3D games but its starting to show its age on the newest apps now, try and stretch to the Jiayu G2S at least instead of the G2:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-jiayu-g2s.html

Bare in mind if you choose the free shipping option on any of these Asian vendors you'll be waiting a few weeks and could get hit with customs for €20 or more aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

2G yes, 3G may be limited. Ireland uses both 2100 + 900.

For that price I'd look at the Haier w910 on aliexpress instead for $129 . It has a better qualcomm dual core 1.5ghz processor, adreno 225 gpu, 1280x720 screen + gorilla glass.

I don't think anyone struggles to get good 3G with these phones in Ireland do they? Mine is always perfect reception on H anyway, thats with Three, flatmate has a G2S on O2, perfect there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I've got a lenovo p770 that I'm testing at the moment. So far, unbelievable battery life,its a 3500, fantastic screen, sturdy... Really impressed so far.... got it in for about 160. Once in finished playing with it will be on adverts for about 150... it's really impressive for the money...

• Advertisement

Thats a poster on here :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement