Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

thanks mick. i think its a great price.

by the way, ive just realised and done this:

if sim 1 has 3g data, and you run out, you CAN actually switch to sim 2 for data. therefore, no need to open the phone, change sims and then re initialise. the software does it.

Also, both can be H+ (although only 1 at a time).

isn't that brilliant????

someone's offered 130 already on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Some possible photos of the Mi3 giving it a strong resemblance to the Lumia, have to say I'm not a fan, was hoping it would have a similar aesthetic to the Mi2. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I like it, red, black or maybe white would be the only ones Id be interested in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OK, so this is my first time looking at these brands, so bear with me if I come across incredibly noobish... :P
    Get the Jiayu G3S or the Lenovo A820 for a 4.5 inch or the Lenovo A830 for 5 inch, I owned both Lenovos and found the A820 to be better but the A830 is more sturdy.

I'm looking at the A820 now... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-standby-Lenovo-quad-core-Back-illuminated/dp/B00CIQI9KC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377811308&sr=1-1&keywords=lenovo+a820#productDescription

I have to ask... What's the catch? I'm currently using a Sony Xperia that I'm looking to upgrade (mainly for a larger screen, mine's a 3.5"), and this phone has double the amount of RAM, a faster processor, better camera and that bigger screen, yet it's less than half the price of what I paid for the Sony less than a year ago...

EDIT: Aha, I see the catch. I'd need to install a custom ROM on it to get Google Play it seems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    OK, so this is my first time looking at these brands, so bear with me if I come across incredibly noobish... :P

I'm looking at the A820 now... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-standby-Lenovo-quad-core-Back-illuminated/dp/B00CIQI9KC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377811308&sr=1-1&keywords=lenovo+a820#productDescription

I have to ask... What's the catch? I'm currently using a Sony Xperia that I'm looking to upgrade (mainly for a larger screen, mine's a 3.5"), and this phone has double the amount of RAM, a faster processor, better camera and that bigger screen, yet it's less than half the price of what I paid for the Sony less than a year ago...

EDIT: Aha, I see the catch. I'd need to install a custom ROM on it to get Google Play it seems.

You shouldn't need to do anything like that to get Google play on it. Remember that is probably coming from outside of the EU so you'd have to add another 25-30% to the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The seller only gets the money if you confirm you got the item right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Not sure, but it looks like you get a refund if goods are not as described. The only thing that puts me off is the word "upgrade".

• Advertisement

What sellers do in scams is put the price low so you won't bother spending lots of time getting your money back. Aliexpress do not release the money to the seller until your item is received. However, if they send you a G3 box with something of similar weight to a G3, there is no way you can prove you did not receive the phone.

It may not be scam, but all I'm saying is when it's too good to be true yada yada. Also you should check the seller's other items for sale and you might see a pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

basically 85% off everything he's selling though. G3s here http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/In-stock-Original-Jiayu-G3s-G3-MTK6589-quad-core-phones-Android-4-2-4-5-IPS/115071_1016664275.html no mention of upgrade. Still not sure if I'd chance it

with the amount of orders placed today I can't see the seller having enough stock anyway. would avoid but good luck to anyone who takes a chance

Hmmm......this is giving me greedy eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

can one use paypal, if so will they not refund the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

geecee wrote: »
    I ordered a G3ST (Turbo = quad 1.5 GHz Processor versus the quad 1.2Ghz in the G3s)from Aliexpress last night...

As spix says they definately have the cheapest options
    Mine was €142 including DHL delivery

Time to withdraw my recommendation for Aliexpress

My phone arrived (without getting caught by customs)
    Issue is that they sent me a G3S and not a G3ST... Even though the battery, packaging etc is for the G3ST - the seller is passing off the 1.2Ghz processor as a 1.5Ghz model

After some persuasion they now believe me - but are only offering:
    -$10 refund if i keep the phone
    -Send phone back (at my expense) and they will replace it
    -Send phone back (at my expense) and they will refund it

None of these are acceptable for me as i specifically wanted the turbo version of the phone and I don't have 3 weeks to wait whilst the phone is DHL'd back to china (again at my expense) and process for refund/replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Just initiate a paypal disupute and that should sort it(presuming you payed via paypal that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Time to withdraw my recommendation for Aliexpress

There are good sellers and bad sellers on Aliexpress, it is kind of like ebay in that you deal with lots of different sellers through the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Order from Merimobiles and ask to be rooted its an extra 3 euro comes with google play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

So I have this Lenovo P770 for almost a week and here's my thoughts on it.

Spec: Here
    Price: I got this in for just over €160

In relation to Chinese models, up to this I've had the Jiayu G3 and my favorite up to this, the Jiayu G2S. So i'll compare as much as I can with the G2S.

In terms of look and feel - its a square lump with rounded edges, nothing fancy but I like it. Not as sturdy as the G2S but once the battery is in, there is a comforting weighty feel to it.
    The micro usb port is at the top, as well as the audio jack. It's down to personal preference if this suits you or not, I prefer the micro usb slot at the bottom but it's still fine.

The screen is excellent. Very responsive with a brillant HD IPS screen.
    I was worried about it just having the 1.2 Dual Core compared to the latest Quad offerings, but to be honest, I haven't noticed any lag or indication that this is an 'older' chip. It's very impressive.

It runs 4.1 with a Lenovo flavor, once again I didn't bother to throw another ROM on. There isn't any bloat ware and it runs perfectly as is.

The usual GPS issues exist with this phone too, as with all mediatek chips so far.

The battery life on the G3 was horrendous for me(later versions improved according to Thargor) so when I got the G2S, I was really impressed by getting 2-3 days easy.

NOW, this P770 is simply a FREAK when it comes to battery life.
    It has a 3500 battery. I charged it on Monday afternoon, with average use(calls, games, google play music, browsing, email, both sim active, auto brightness) and have just plugged it in this minute with a warning of only 10% left.

To me that's nuts for a 4.5 inch screen with dual sim always active. Yes I presume that after 6 months this will degrade but seen as you can get a new battery for a few dollars, this is not a problem.

It really is a freak and for the life of me I can't figure out why all phones with a screen this size do not follow suit. For a new phone, I don't want any bells and whistles anymore, I want a battery life like this!

I've no idea what phone I will try in the next few weeks but I'm pretty sure it will be a budget Lenovo of some sort.

Bid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Hi,

Haven't read the whole thread. I was wondering if the JIAYU G3T on hongkongeek.com was worth €168? I like the look of the phone but if anybody has bought one I'd like to know what you think. I won't be rooting (unless it's really easy), and I probably won't flash as I haven't a clue. These guys claim to refund import duties if you get caught by customs. If I pay customs the price jumps to over €200. Has anybody actually got a refund?

EDIT: I'm looking at hongkongeek and I can't find accessories such as screen protectors and flip covers. Will these be included or must I purchase them elsewhere. Thanks.

EDIT: Cécilia in their online chat app told me there are no accessories for the G3T yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Its a great phone, I bought a G3S and my friend bought a G3T both from them, we both didn't have to pay any customs, they mark it as a $10 Mp4 player so it wont be charged customs, if it is they should pay it back,

You might get a screen protector or rubber cover in the box with it, i did with mine

What is the biggest draw back when it comes to JIAYU smart phones? Battery, operating system, reception/wifi, gps, fragility etc. I depend heavily on spell checkers so I need one that works well in English.

I assume the best thing about them is the price.

EDIT: Do we get any kind of warranty with these phones? EDIT: I found information about the warranty on their site. It's 1 year.

What is the biggest draw back when it comes to JIAYU smart phones? Battery, operating system, reception/wifi, gps, fragility etc.

The GPS is definately the biggest drawback...
    I am sending back my jiayu to the supplier now and have decided to go with a Nexus 4 instead...

The GPS is definately the biggest drawback...
    I am sending back my jiayu to the supplier now and have decided to go with a Nexus 4 instead...

In what way is it defective? Does it not work when inside, or not work at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

What is the biggest draw back when it comes to JIAYU smart phones? Battery, operating system, reception/wifi, gps, fragility etc. I depend heavily on spell checkers so I need one that works well in English.

I assume the best thing about them is the price.

EDIT: Do we get any kind of warranty with these phones? EDIT: I found information about the warranty on their site. It's 1 year.
    Spell checker works the same on all androids,its dependant on the keyboard you use(Swype , swift key, stock android etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Thank god I dont use GPS :pac:

In what way is it defective? Does it not work when inside, or not work at all?

There is an issue with the mediatek chips... or possibly with the gps antenna whereby the GPS does not work very well... can take 10 minutes for it to lock on to a satelite!

Not very useful if you are trying to play ingress!

Thanks.

Which phone do you think is better value? The Lenovo P770, or the JIAYU G3T. I like the sound of the bigger battery in the Lenovo, and the Jiayu has a higher screen resolution, but are there other considerations I need to think about? Also, will both these phones work properly on Irish mobile networks such as Three. Also, should I buy a second battery off the bat, or grab one later to avoid paying customs on it. Finally, how long will it take to arrive using free post? Should I fork out for postage? Thanks everybody for you help. :)

EDIT: I just realised the option to buy a second battery on merimobiles.com links to a generic one. Won't be doing that anyway.

EDIT: Do both these phones come with access to the Google Play Store?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

Do ye guys have your chinese androids rooted or not??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement