Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭jimjamcoolio

shanek248 wrote: »
    Battery Life is a major plus for me. I dont mind having to charge every night but its a pain in the ass running out of battery in the middle of a night out.

What about the GPS signal? Ive heard some up and down reviews about this.

My battery life lasts 2 days. That wouldnt be heavy usage but not light either.

I've never really used this as a GPS when driving but I have heard if GPS is important to you, it'd be best not to go for anything with a MTK cpu. That said, i live in rural place and it can find my position accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

What do you think of this one guys, is it too expensive? It's in the UK and could have it my hand by the weekend. Is 2gb worth because it's cheaper with just 1gb ram. What do you guys recommend?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32GB-5-0-FHD-THL-W11-MTK6589T-Quad-core-Android-4-2-GPS-3G-Smartphone-UNLOCKED-/200955132173?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item2ec9dbf90d

$(KGrHqZ,!n4FIE+plzwhBSFIRO3F4g~~60_12.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Nice phone but no dual sim :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

hey i was planning on buying a phone off orientdeal.com , 2 of friends got phones off the site with no issues but was wondering if anybody else has used them and their opinions on them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I bought an iOcean X7 Elite last month and I just got it now. Looks like excellent value so far, will be testing it over the days and get back to you:

Specs:
    1.5 quad core
    2GB RAM
    32GB memory
    1080p screen

2000mA and 3000mA batteries. No charges at customs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Got a letter from customer to pay up ... paid 105 for a THL W100 . they ask for proof of payment....have a few items from aliexpress etc only 1 from merimobiles so i presume i declare it as such ? any way around it ....used china post ( never caught before with snail mail ):eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I bought an iOcean X7 Elite last month and I just got it now. Looks like excellent value so far, will be testing it over the days and get back to you:

Specs:
    1.5 quad core
    2GB RAM
    32GB memory
    1080p screen

2000mA and 3000mA batteries. No charges at customs either.

I've messed around with this a while now, and my other phone is an Xperia S, so I'll do direct comparisons with them.

Screen:
    the X7 has a 1080p 5" screen vs Xperia S's 720p 4.5" screen. Both screens are razor sharp, cannot fault them.

Build Quality:
    Xperia S is pretty top notch if a little on the heavy size. Plastic backing. X7 is plastic all round and is lighter and slightly thinner too. Regardless of that the feel and look of the X7 is quite good, visually pleasing.

Benchmarks:
    The X7 is signifcantly faster in browser response times and AnTutu benchmarks, numbers hover close to the Nexus 4.

GPS:
    Normally poor on the chinese phones, GPS picked me up quite rapidly, a like for like to the Xperia S, the X7 found me 2 seconds quicker.

Camera:
    Both are good, X7 probably has a slight upper hand in picture quality, however the X7 is slightly slower with brightness adjustment.

Battery:
    The 2000mah battery is currently at 45% usage after 36 hours of medium and pockets of heavy usage. 3000mah hasn't been tested. Xperia S is terrible in comparison, similar usage would render just over a day's life.

NFC:
    No NFC on the X7 :(

LTE:
    None on neither

At the end of the day the X7 wins hands down over my Xperia S. I'm loving the phone so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Got a letter from customer to pay up ... paid 105 for a THL W100 . they ask for proof of payment....have a few items from aliexpress etc only 1 from merimobiles so i presume i declare it as such ? any way around it ....used china post ( never caught before with snail mail ):eek:

I am the same, customs letter received yesterday looking for proof of purchase.
    I used HongKongGeek though as they have a refund policy on customs so you just forward the receipt to them and they refund you

By the way, does anyone know if I get a receipt at the door when the customs is paid to the An Post clerk?

Additionally, it says there is a €6 for An Post handling the package/ customs even though I have no choice in the matter - very irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

thl w100 arrived. had to pay 26 euro in customs 6 to an post for "handling". so all in 133....so far so good seems very responsive and takes a good piture. . arrived with a wallet case and a rubber bump cover. nice feel to it. will see how battery goes.

I goy a THL W200 the other day, bought it from the UK i didn't have the patience to wait for one to come from China. I'm very happy with it. Calls are very clear on it, screen is great. Overall i recommend it. It got 16470 benchmark which is just below an S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Inbox wrote: »
    I goy a THL W200 the other day, bought it from the UK i didn't have the patience to wait for one to come from China. I'm very happy with it. Calls are very clear on it, screen is great. Overall i recommend it. It got 16470 benchmark which is just below an S3.

How is the GPS function?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Find myself wavering a bit on the Mi3, just can't get to like its Lumia-esque design making the bezel look quite thick. I'm wondering if a white rear casing alleviates this somewhat. Added to that unless Xiaomi open an international store like Oppo you'll be paying 15-20% on top of the base price (would be going for the 64GB version) as well as a potential customs hit, and as bidiots correcty pointed out their resaleability won't be as high as a Nexus device.

Gonna really depend on how the 5 shapes up by comparison, although that too will come with its own import headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Afternoon All,

Smashed the screen on my G3 is there anywhere that I can it replaced, really don't fancy doing it myself but will do if needs be.

Has anyone got theirs fixed in shop in Dublin that they can recommend?

First post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'm thinking of buying my 1st smartphone. I would like something that provides a decent browsing experience, not too concerned about playing games etc, though GPS would be nice, a reasonable battery life is important too.

I'm not looking to spend much, would the Jiayu G2 be a good buy?

http://www.buysku.com/wholesale/jiayu-g2-android-4-0-mtk6577-dual-core-512mb-4gb-4-0-inch-ips-screen-3g-smartphone-with-gps-dual-camera-black.html?welcome=11150000&currency=EUR&gclid=CK-Tz4Ot4bkCFZQ72wodD30ALA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No they're obsolete now, have a read of all the reccomendations in the last 20 or so pages of this thread, there are a lot better options out there, GPS is poor across the board it seems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yer_man_there

Hey, first post here, been reading through this thread for a good bit now and while very helpful nearly confused me just as much with all the different recommendation :P
    Looking to get a new smartphone and these chinese ones look perfect for my needs, but just wondering which one would you recommend between the Lenovo P770 and the Jiayu either G3s or G3s turbo or open to any others? Preferably with as little rooting and that as im not great with that stuff !
    GPS doesnt make much of a difference to me, really only need it for texts, calls, facebook, snapchat bit of browsing and emails! Also with regards to website to get it from, would it be aliexpress, please post any links ye would recommend? Also last one, any accessories to get with it?
    Thanks very much for any responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Hey guys,

I have been waiting a long time for the Jiayu G4 advanced to be released and I was just about to pull the trigger but then I seen the Neo n003 advanced and am torn between the 2.

Both have the same Processor/RAM/ROM

*Neo is 5" 1080p screen -Vs- Jiayu 4.7" 720" screen
    *Neo has laminated glass -Vs- Jiaya Corning Gorilla Glass 2
    *Neo has illuminated buttons, Jiayu doesnt
    *Neo supports OTG & MHL, (Cant find confirmation that the g4 does??)
    *Reviews from Gizchina says video on the Neo is superior to all other chinese phones
    * The G4 is slightly thinner than the Neo

I think both are beautiful phones but I cant decide which one to buy

Im wondering if a 5" phone is too big for my pocket

Which of the 2 phones above would you buy and why?

Any input/opinions appreciated

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Hey guys,

I have been waiting a long time for the Jiayu G4 advanced to be released and I was just about to pull the trigger but then I seen the Neo n003 advanced and am torn between the 2.

*Reviews from Gizchina says video on the Neo is superior to all other chinese phones

Cheers

No Idea on both but my 5 inch phone fits perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Hey guys,

Cheers

I have the basic Jaiyu G4. I'm having awful hassle with 3G reception. Have tried a few different Roms but eventually the signal just drops. No idea what the Neo phone is like but I'd go for that unless the advanced G4 has the signal problem fixed. Sickens me because everything else about the phone is excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are you on Three Seamy? I had constant 3G drops with them, theres a million threads on their Board here about it, switching to 2G when it gets low reception but not switching back when it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Thargor wrote: »
    Are you on Three Seamy? I had constant 3G drops with them, theres a million threads on their Board here about it, switching to 2G when it gets low reception but not switching back when it improves.

No, Meteor. Its odd how it happens. I could go a day or two with fairly good reception but when the red X appears, the only way I can get it back is turning off the phone, taking out the battery leave it out for a few seconds, battery back in then restart. Just a normal reboot wont fix it..

eamonnq wrote: »
    How is the GPS function?

Not sure i haven't used any navigation yet, it zooms in real quick but the dot is about 10 metres away from where i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Can anyone comment on the variations of sound quality of phones like these are. I have been looking at the Jiayu G4 with the intention of it replacing my old iPod. Now I am no audiophile and the current sound off my iPod with semi decent earphones are more than good enough.

So my question is would there be any difference in sound quality between my current iPod classic and a G4 listening to the same files and earphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

phunks wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on the variations of sound quality of phones like these are. I have been looking at the Jiayu G4 with the intention of it replacing my old iPod. Now I am no audiophile and the current sound off my iPod with semi decent earphones are more than good enough.

So my question is would there be any difference in sound quality between my current iPod classic and a G4 listening to the same files and earphones?

Sound on g3s with or without earphones wasnt great. In fact to someone who really isnt clued ino recognising musical nuances, its actually poor i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Spipov wrote: »
    Sound on g3s with or without earphones wasnt great. In fact to someone who really isnt clued ino recognising musical nuances, its actually poor i find.

Thanks for the reply. Was that with the earphones included? The G4 seems to have a Yamaha audio chip so that should improve the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

no apple earphones. admittedly old ones, but they work ok generally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ffffffffuuuuuu Lenovo updated and I lost root access arghhhhhh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement