Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Sorted this morning with this
    http://droidchina.com/forum/Thread-Auto-Root-MTK6589-One-click-root its a good root tool for our phones guys, also had to uninstall google play and install again once root was fixed! Phew was worried for a minute :D

Well my phone lied to me the gapps is now crashing, so Ive no play store or gmail, Im using aptoide to download stuff now, I have the gapps zip file there but cant find it when I go into recovery :( If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know, I am awful at flashing new roms so thats out of the way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Well my phone lied to me the gapps is now crashing, so Ive no play store or gmail, Im using aptoide to download stuff now, I have the gapps zip file there but cant find it when I go into recovery :( If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know, I am awful at flashing new roms so thats out of the way :(

Is your gapps on the SD card? Or internal memory?

It sounds to me if you can't find it its on internal storage, stick it on the SD card, and check if your gapps is the correct one, they ain't all the same...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is your gapps on the SD card? Or internal memory?

It sounds to me if you can't find it its on internal storage, stick it on the SD card, and check if your gapps is the correct one, they ain't all the same...

Yup to both, I dont have any recovery flashed just the stock one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

Hi,

Looking at buying a Chinese mobile phone as they look like great value but have a few questions/ concerns about them.
    How well do they connect to the Irish networks with the gsm bandwidth?
    Am I true in thinking that won't be able to get a three pin charger from wherever I get one.
    Any recommendations or phones to avoid would be good. Currently looking at Jiayu G3 or may go to g4 and the Zopo c2 or c3 are there any more on the market that would be worth a look at?
    Currently looking at pandawill.com to buy it, does anyone have any experience with them as yo how reliable they are etc

Anything you have to add to it would be great

Cheers,
    Eoin

• Advertisement

efahey wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking at buying a Chinese mobile phone as they look like great value but have a few questions/ concerns about them.
    How well do they connect to the Irish networks with the gsm bandwidth? Really well my 3G does be flying.

Am I true in thinking that won't be able to get a three pin charger from wherever I get one. Merimobiles offer a european charger but all chargers are the same these days so any brand would do.

Any recommendations or phones to avoid would be good. Currently looking at Jiayu G3 or may go to g4 and the Zopo c2 or c3 are there any more on the market that would be worth a look at? Cant help you there as ive had none but Zopo will have Cyanogenmod as standard I believe.

Currently looking at pandawill.com to buy it, does anyone have any experience with them as yo how reliable they are etc No idea but I highly recommend merimobiles.

Cheers,
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Hi,

Am I true in thinking that won't be able to get a three pin charger from wherever I get one.
    Any recommendations or phones to avoid would be good. Currently looking at Jiayu G3 or may go to g4 and the Zopo c2 or c3 are there any more on the market that would be worth a look at?
    Currently looking at pandawill.com to buy it, does anyone have any experience with them as yo how reliable they are etc

Cheers,
    Eoin

I have been torn for the last few weeks between the Jiayu G4 advanced or the Neo n003 advanced. Both have pros and cons:

* The G4 is slightly thinner than the Neo but the Neo has a larger screen
    * The G4 is 720p and the Neo is 1080p
    * The Neo has the best camera from all of the Mediatek chinese phones (according to andi from giz china)
    * The neo has support for OTG and MHL, The G4 doesn't
    * The Neo has illumanted buttons, The G4 doesnt
    * The G4 is a better looking phone than the Neo (in my opinion)
    *The G4 has Corning Gorilla Glass 2, the Neo has Asahi laminated glass
    *The Neo has a yamaha audio chip, not sure if the G4 has

I went ahead and ordered the neo this morning

Will post some pics and a quick review when it arrives

I have been torn for the last few weeks between the Jiayu G4 advanced or the Neo n003 advanced. Both have pros and cons:

* The G4 is slightly thinner than the Neo but the Neo has a larger screen
    * The G4 is 720p and the Neo is 1080p
    * The Neo has the best camera from all of the Mediatek chinese phones (according to andi from giz china)
    * The neo has support for OTG and MHL, The G4 doesn't
    * The Neo has illumanted buttons, The G4 doesnt
    * The G4 is a better looking phone than the Neo (in my opinion)
    *The G4 has Corning Gorilla Glass 2, the Neo has Asahi laminated glass

I went ahead and ordered the neo this morning

Will post some pics and a quick review when it arrives

Thanks for that, there seems to be a lot to pick from and I have only been looking for about a week or so as current phone is starting to show signs of dying

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

GizChina says that the G4 is supposed to have one.
    http://www.gizchina.com/2013/03/22/jiayu-announce-important-jiayu-g4-updates/

I'm still shopping around but have my eyes on the G4. Thinking about waiting for the G5 to come out and hopefully get the G4 a bit cheaper. Can anyone remember if the G3 dropped in price much when the G4 came out? or is there any point waiting. Cheapest I can find the G4 in stock is 230 at the moment.

just out of interest where did you see the G4 for 230?

got a link?

• Advertisement

phunks wrote: »
    GizChina says that the G4 is supposed to have one.
    http://www.gizchina.com/2013/03/22/jiayu-announce-important-jiayu-g4-updates/

I'm still shopping around but have my eyes on the G4. Thinking about waiting for the G5 to come out and hopefully get the G4 a bit cheaper. Can anyone remember if the G3 dropped in price much when the G4 came out? or is there any point waiting. Cheapest I can find the G4 in stock is 230 at the moment.

Yo can get it for 216 on http://www.pandawill.com/mobile-phone-c1/android-os-phone-c551.html?phone_brand=196
    And then there is supposed to be a coupon code PayPalEu for a further 10% off

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

just out of interest where did you see the G4 for 230?

got a link?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pre-order-original-new-jiayu-G4-android-4-1-mobile-phone-1GB-4GB-mtk6589-quad-core/741858370.html

Add shipping if you cant wait and obviously customs if you get caught which by the sounds of it most do.

Yo can get it for 216 on http://www.pandawill.com/mobile-phone-c1/android-os-phone-c551.html?phone_brand=196
    And then there is supposed to be a coupon code PayPalEu for a further 10% off

Not in stock though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

Hi,

Cheers,
    Eoin

I bought a Thl W100 (quad core, 12mp camera) about 2 months ago and I will now always buy a chinese phone. It cost me €120 and I paid an extra €20 for DHL delivery. I didn't use Pandawill because I read some bad reviews. I used Chinavasion.com and will use them again.

Phone works perfectly on gsm bandwidth(vodafone & three was used). I also received an adapter with my phone but that may just be Thl's policy.
    So yes I have had a good experience with my chinese phone.

Great specs at a brilliant price.
    Fcuk paying €500 for a brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Have a friend looking for a new phone. His max budget including shipping , customs and a case iss 300 euro. Anything yed recommend?

EDIT : For 330 euro he can get the huawei ascend p6 on 02 and get an unlock code off eBay for 5 euro. If he uses eBay to get the unlock code will he lose his 02 warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

my wifes thl w100 is running well. think i will get one for myself as i have a blackberry bold from work but its so bad words dont do it justice. got it off merimobiles all in 133 inc customer of 23 %. came with 2 batteries that are last a good while. a case charger with adaptor, very few if any chinese apps . has a good look and feel.

detailed review here :
    http://www.androidauthority.com/review-thl-w100-211620/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

my wifes thl w100 is running well. think i will get one for myself as i have a blackberry bold from work but its so bad words dont do it justice. got it off merimobiles all in 133 inc customer of 23 %. came with 2 batteries that are last a good while. a case charger with adaptor, very few if any chinese apps . has a good look and feel.

detailed review here :

Was looking at this one myself. Does it have a notification light? Can't see anything about that online

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

Hi everyone,

If I would like to buy a new Chinese smart phone .. I would prefer to choose between the most popular brands. For instance Lenovo and ZTE are from China, have a variety of models and their prices are pretty competitive. However, if you guys can post your thoughts about the devices that you've ordered will result interesting.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

detailed review here :

How does the dual sim function work on it ?

dual simm works well. 1 is tesco and the other vodafone.. no problems. it blinks if thats what you mean about notification...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Nope was wondering has I had a dual sim in the past where I found that the signal used to drop on one of the sims sometimes. This was years ago so hopefully things have improved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I see a lot of these same fones on sale tru amazon for similar money, eg a w100 for c140 free uk shipping (parcel motel). Is there any difference eg. security or customs taking this route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

I see a lot of these same fones on sale tru amazon for similar money, eg a w100 for c140 free uk shipping (parcel motel). Is there any difference eg. security or customs taking this route?

I'd go for that price. I paid €120 for the phone, €20 shipping and then customs got me for €15. So you'll save the €15!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a lot of the phones on Amazon actually ship from China as well, so you could still get caught for customs.

dual simm works well. 1 is tesco and the other vodafone.. no problems. it blinks if thats what you mean about notification...?

Yep this is what I was wondering :)

Misticles wrote: »
    Yep this is what I was wondering :)

Actually says online that it doesn't have an led notification light.

Has anyone come across a phone like the thl w100 with an led light? I was sold on that phone if it had the led

i will check out her phone as regards mesages left/ texts leaving a blinking light on either card....i only use the phone to play games etc

Has anyone come across a phone like the thl w100 with an led light? I was sold on that phone if it had the led

Misticles at xmas.....

Oh hey Misticles I just bought you this phone for 500 euro.

Misticles:WHERE'S THE BLEEDIN BLINKIN LED LIGHT!!!!!!!!

:pac:;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

No led, no problem.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.led.notify&hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Genius, good to have for future phones thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement