Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

What would the main differences be between the thl and the Samsung s4 mini.
    How often would thl get software updates?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Ok, I was trawling the comments on needrom where someone posted a GPS fix for this popular problem.
    I noticed it gets quoted repeatedly so this piqued my interest.
    I've an UMI X2 Turbo with a MTK6589T processor (great phone btw) & have locked only a single satellite in the 3 months I've had it.
    The first 2 minutes of this youtube video explains the steps, it's simple but he goes fast so you'll be pausing as you go along.
    My first lock took 62 seconds after completing the steps, after that it takes about 20 seconds each time, great success :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynqKhRSqVpM

Try it & let me know, if successful we might make this a thread on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eamonnq wrote: »
    Yep, tried that and it is the same as the other 'fixes' in that it gets you an initial lock much quicker but once you start moving you are arsed!!

GPS just does not seem to work on these phones and any of the fixes all do something similar. No point in even trying to use it as a sat nav in a built up area as it jumps you from street to street and does not know what directions to give you.

Seems to me to be pretty much the same as all the other 'fixes', how is it when you are driving ?

This one here seems to have had the best effect on my phone, but I still get the 'wandering blue dot', sat nav function seems to be better, but still comes up with some doosies as I am driving along, such as 'turn right in 300m', immediately followed by 'turn left in 400m'.

Phone has to be rooted.
    Install Build Prop Editor from Google Play.
    Browse to: /system/build.prop and open it
    Add the following line just below this: dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

Save the file, exit Build Prop Editor and reboot the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I bought a Jiayu G4 basic when they launched a few months back, and my friend is interested in one now. I recommended the advanced version with turbo processor here off Mixeshop as its the cheapest:

http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4-thickbattery-2g-ram-32g-rom-mtk6589t-15ghz-quad-core-47-inch-hd-ips-retina-screen-android-42-13mp-camera-gyroscope-smartphone_p2594.html

However does anyone know if they come rooted from Mixeshop, and if not does it need to be rooted to access the play store?

Any recommendations of other shops cheaper or similarly priced (Must be the advanced version with turbo processor)

• Advertisement

I ordered that exact one from Mixeshop a few days ago so will let you know when it gets here! :)

Cool, cheers, what shipping method did you use?

DHL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Bit the bullet with a thl w100 there now..gbp120/140e on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

http://www.merimobiles.com/jiayu-g3st-mtk6589t-1-5ghz-4-5-hd-inch-ips-gorilla-glass-screen-android-4-2-1-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri7839.htm

http://www.merimobiles.com/lenovo-a830-android4-2-quad-core-1-2ghz-5-0-inch-qhd-540-960-3g-wcdma-8-0mp_p/meri7433.htm

Can anyone advise on these? Also is the site good to buy from?

Any other good alternatives for these as well? I currently have an S3 but would like to go dual sim for a while until my contract runs out with Meteor.

Also anything that rivals an S4 out there?

• Advertisement

BroLo wrote: »
    Any other good alternatives for these as well? I currently have an S3 but would like to go dual sim for a while until my contract runs out with Meteor.

Also anything that rivals an S4 out there?

Jiayu S1 should give the S4 a run for its money:

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/09/18/exclusive-hands-jiayu-s1/

Getting released this month apparently. Jiayu never honour their release dates however.

The Jiayu G4 advanced is one of the best chinese phones out there at the moment. I linked it above earlier ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

So what's the deal with Dual SIMs? Do they both work together at the same time or are they partitioned and need to be selected to be in use? How are they partitioned in regards to telephone calls and text messages etc? As in how do you know which SIM is receiving the information? I've had a look at some of the websites referenced here and in the spec section of each phone which has a dual SIM there's an entry which says either "Dual SIM, Single Standby" or "Dual SIM, Dual Standby", what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

I ordered that exact one from Mixeshop a few days ago so will let you know when it gets here! :)

Any idea what customs you expect to pay?

phunks wrote: »
    Any idea what customs you expect to pay?

You pay VAT on the total cost of the phone (i.e. phone plus delivery charges if any), so if it cost 100euro, the VAT will be 23euro (usually plus a handling fee) depending on who is delivering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Jiayu S1 should give the S4 a run for its money:

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/09/18/exclusive-hands-jiayu-s1/

Getting released this month apparently. Jiayu never honour their release dates however.

The Jiayu G4 advanced is one of the best chinese phones out there at the moment. I linked it above earlier ^^

Id still go for the G4 advanced because the S1 doesnt support dual sim, have a removable battery or removeable storage

Got my hands on a THLW200 today, must say I am very impressed, not sure if I should sell my Mlais MX58 Air though, and keep the THLW200 or do it the other way around!!

Think there is more of a 'community' builiding up for the THL W200 with a few custom roms available but I really like the MX58 Air!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Lads anyone know the correct Gapps for these MTK phones? The versions I downloads constantly fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Lads anyone know the correct Gapps for these MTK phones? The versions I downloads constantly fail.

Try see can you download the latest play store apk, sideload it and get all your apps as normal from there....?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Try see can you download the latest play store apk, sideload it and get all your apps as normal from there....?

Needs the framework etc all singular downloads wont work as far as I know, anyways if anyone knows of a quad core going cheap enough let me know :D

Got my hands on a THLW200 today, must say I am very impressed, not sure if I should sell my Mlais MX58 Air though, and keep the THLW200 or do it the other way around!!

Think there is more of a 'community' builiding up for the THL W200 with a few custom roms available but I really like the MX58 Air!!

What would you take for the Mlais?

• Advertisement

What would you take for the Mlais?

I think I have it sold already for 200, but am throwing in a 32gb sd card with that, should cover the cost of the W200.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I think I have it sold already for 200, but am throwing in a 32gb sd card with that, should cover the cost of the W200.

Have you had any trouble using sd cards on any of your phones.

I have a Star b93m and I can't seem to get any card that will hold the apps for more than a few weeks before losing everything!

Have you had any trouble using sd cards on any of your phones.

I have a Star b93m and I can't seem to get any card that will hold the apps for more than a few weeks before losing everything!

No, have not had that problem, I have been using a TDK 32GB CLASS 10 without any issues, and have used it in several different phones.

Wow how are you getting 200 for it? Im sure I seen it on merimobiles for 135 or am I looking at a inferior model?

Wow how are you getting 200 for it? Im sure I seen it on merimobiles for 135 or am I looking at a inferior model?

I think it was 149 from merimobiles, and then the DHL shipping and customs brought it up another few bob, and the cost of the 32GB card makes it a bargain!! Think I will actually charge 220 now that I add it all up!!!

I think it was 149 from merimobiles, and then the DHL shipping and customs brought it up another few bob, and the cost of the 32GB card makes it a bargain!! Think I will actually charge 220 now that I add it all up!!!

Note to self give eamonnq all my stuff to sell :pac:

Note to self give eamonnq all my stuff to sell :pac:

Would have to add my commission to the price then as well!!:P

Double-checked and I work out that the phone cost me approx 212euro, with a case, paid for it to be rooted (to make sure I did not receive a DOA unit!!), DHL shipping and customs.

Well worth it!! and someone will be getting a bargain at 220 with the 32gb card!!

Would have to add my commission to the price then as well!!:P

Double-checked and I work out that the phone cost me approx 212euro, with a case, paid for it to be rooted (to make sure I did not receive a DOA unit!!), DHL shipping and customs.

Well worth it!! and someone will be getting a bargain at 220 with the 32gb card!!

Very true, Would you recommend it? The Lenovo hasnt been great with its awkward software and now seems like I cant get GAPPS on it makes it annoying!

Very true, Would you recommend it? The Lenovo hasnt been great with its awkward software and now seems like I cant get GAPPS on it makes it annoying!

It is a cracking phone IMO, the sat-nav issue exists as with all the MTK6589 chip phones, but I did a fix that seemed to improve it but it is still not perfect.

No other issues with it, and am not sure whether to keep that or keep the THL W200 for myself!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement