Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

BroLo wrote: »
    Only 4GB Onboard memory?

Thats standard with these phones mine is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Anyone have a Faea HY508 (F1)? Looks like good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I would advise anyone to research a tad to see what the developers such as xda and modaco are doing in relation To ROMs etc and then pull the trigger.
    Needrom is also a great resource

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

This looks like a good place to ask.

My wife is looking for a new phone - to replace a Samsung XCover (I think that's an SII in a different case).

The issues she has with that phone are that it has that old problem of not having enough storage for a reasonable number of apps (HTC Desire is another phone I can think of that had this problem too), and it's slow to react.

I'm looking for something that can have a lot of apps installed, and will run reasonably quickly - GPS/SatNav is also needed.

Budget is less than about €120 - which is probably a big ask, would go slightly higher for the right phone though.

What are the pitfalls here? Sending money to China and expecting to receive a working phone is a bit of a leap, but one I'm willing to try at my budget.

Are there customs concerns?

• Advertisement

Even the budget phones these days come with at least 4gb memory compared to the 150mb or whatever that's in that phone, so running out of space shouldn't be an issue no matter what you get, unless she likes high end games. :) At that price I'd recommend the G510 for 130.

Theres apps that can trick the phone into using the SD card as memory instead of the internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Does anyone on here own the Jiayu G4 advanced?

I was wondering if an sd card is needed before taking photos and storing music.

Because my basic G4 woudn't let me use the camera or music player until I put an sd card in.

It would be ridiculous if the advanced was the same considering it has 32GB ROM

http://www.merimobiles.com/mini-s4_p/meri8052.htm

Cheap and cheerful. Seems quite decent spec for the price?

Can anyone advise on the likelihood of that being caught at customs and destroyed?

BroLo wrote: »
    http://www.merimobiles.com/mini-s4_p/meri8052.htm

Cheap and cheerful. Seems quite decent spec for the price?

Can anyone advise on the likelihood of that being caught at customs and destroyed?

Should be destroyed for having the 512mb ram :p

• Advertisement

Should be destroyed for having the 512mb ram :p

Tisn't for me :P

Twould be for the father. He's not a huge fan of Android. He's been using an old Android since he lost his iPhone but he's not liking it, so I put Espier launcher on it and he loves it now :P

Needs a bigger screen though and the S4 mini would suit him perfectly, but no point paying the branded price for Specs he won't utilise, especially if I'm putting the Espier launcher back onto it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd agree with Mick, you should be able to get one with 1GB of RAM for similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

Been looking at these a lot lately. Getting fed up my iphone 3gs and looking to go back to android. I had a Samsung galaxy s a while back. Never really had any problems with it. I rooted it and put ICS on it and it was flying, but I moved to 48 and the sim wouldn't work in it, yet it did in the iphone so I just stuck with it since then.

I've been looking at the jiayu g3t. Has anyone any hands on experience with this phone? Or can anyone recommend a phone in that kind of price bracket?

Lastly, is anyone using these phones with the 48 network?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

keithg89 wrote: »
    Lastly, is anyone using these phones with the 48 network?

That's an interesting one actually!!! I'm on 48 and was looking at getting one of these fones, but probably won't if the SIM don't work in it.

Yeah same with myself. I think I'll wait for confirmation from someone using them with 48

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

48 is piggybacking on the O2 network isn't it? Id be very surprised if they didn't work tbh, these phones go all over the world on every backwards network you can think of.

Yeah as far as I know it is, but, like I said, I did have problems with it on a rooted galaxy s running cyanogen mod. I think I will wait for a confirmation and recommendation before I pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

Seriously considering this one. What do you think? Any idea where I can get it for the best price?

The bands the phone can handle have nothing to do with the ROM its running so that Cyangen ROM issue is nothing to do with the problem its just the phone you were using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Surely its the radio used by the Rom that would cause connection issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

On a side issue,what do people with dual sim have as their preferred plans and with whom?
    i.e meteor for calls and texts and tesco for data.
    Thanks
    John

seanin4711 wrote: »
    On a side issue,what do people with dual sim have as their preferred plans and with whom?
    Thanks
    John

Ive an empty slot :pac: Dual sim doesnt bother me I only bought the phones due to specs and price, I would easily take a single sim again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Same. Buy €20 once a month from Three gets me unlimited data and that powers all my Skype/Whatsapp communication so the credit piles up, got about €300 sitting there now, thankfully Google just started accepting phone credit in the Play Store for payment, wish I could find a proper shop to spend it in though.

Any shops in town that would sell any of these phones? Seriously considering a Jiayu as a change, theres no chinese phones on adverts only overpriced non names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Any shops in town that would sell any of these phones? Seriously considering a Jiayu as a change, theres no chinese phones on adverts only overpriced non names.

You should have snapped up my MX58 Air !! :D

eamonnq wrote: »
    You should have snapped up my MX58 Air !! :D

I already have a huge SD card so price would have had to drop :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Thanks
    John

Iv'e been looking into this but can't find a good data only deal. The Three coverage is shocking around my place.

Any suggestions.

I already have a huge SD card so price would have had to drop :pac:

I would have knocked 40 euro off for a boardsie!!

eamonnq wrote: »
    I would have knocked 40 euro off for a boardsie!!

Ah ffs :( hate you now :p

• Advertisement

Will probably hate myself for selling it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement