Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

eamonnq wrote: »
    Will probably hate myself for selling it!!

I have the money now but I should prob wait the 2 weeks until I get paid so you would def recommend that phone? Im gonna get a list and try pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just a reminder that no personal sales on threads guys, use adverts please.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I have the money now but I should prob wait the 2 weeks until I get paid so you would def recommend that phone? Im gonna get a list and try pick one.

The only thing that I did not like about the phone was the issue with the sat nav, which is applicable to all the MTK6589 chip phones. Some of the fixes seem to improve it but it is still not right.

The THL W200 is a lovely phone but does not have the gorilla glass that the MX58 has, but there is a bit more community around the W200 with a MIUI rom and some other custom roms available, and it is 1.5ghz quad core compared to the 1.2ghz MX58 Air.

I probably should have got the MX58 Pro, in the first place and then I would not have had any excuse to change as it uses the MTK6589T chip, has the gorilla glass and the 1.5ghz processor. Only thing then is the lack of custom roms etc., which might not be a bad thing in that I would be less likely to brick it!!!

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-3g-smartphone_p/meri7518.htm

Not selling anything on here, just mentioned that I sold it.

The only thing that I did not like about the phone was the issue with the sat nav, which is applicable to all the MTK6589 chip phones. Some of the fixes seem to improve it but it is still not right.

The THL W200 is a lovely phone but does not have the gorilla glass that the MX58 has, but there is a bit more community around the W200 with a MIUI rom and some other custom roms available, and it is 1.5ghz quad core compared to the 1.2ghz MX58 Air.

I probably should have got the MX58 Pro, in the first place and then I would not have had any excuse to change as it uses the MTK6589T chip, has the gorilla glass and the 1.5ghz processor. Only thing then is the lack of custom roms etc., which might not be a bad thing in that I would be less likely to brick it!!!

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-3g-smartphone_p/meri7518.htm

Not selling anything on here, just mentioned that I sold it.

Prob me asking for phones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

I think I'm going to chance it with 48 and just bite the bullet. The temptation is too strong. Any recommendations? Still leaning towards the Jiayu g3s turbo. Anything similar/better I should look at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

keithg89 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to chance it with 48 and just bite the bullet. The temptation is too strong. Any recommendations? Still leaning towards the Jiayu g3s turbo. Anything similar/better I should look at?

Its a good option. Will you update us when you try it with the 48 sim as to how it works? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I have No problem using mx58 air on 48.. no problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

So what chip doesn't have this issue then? Of all the phones I've looked at, almost all of them have the MTK6589, but I use my google nav app alot. So will probably try to find something a bit more reliable before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Seems like a decent price with dual sim. Anyone have experience of this phone ?

• Advertisement

Nice price, id get it but im looking for a higher resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Nice price, id get it but im looking for a higher resolution.

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/android-phones/2258-50-iocean-x7-mtk6589-quad-core-15ghz-dual-sim-3g-android-42-gps-1gb-bluetooth-4gb.html

What about the iOcean X7. Roughly €180 with a nice 1080p screen.

Any hands on experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Any hands on experience?

Afraid not, but I'm planning on picking it up within the next month or so. There's a review here. Pretty much the expected with these Chinese phone but what's really drawing me to this phone is the screen.

Afraid not, but I'm planning on picking it up within the next month or so. There's a review here. Pretty much the expected with these Chinese phone but what's really drawing me to this phone is the screen.

I like that its a turbo model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Hi all,
    Do any of these phones have properly-functioning GPS and do any of the fixes actually work properly? Its the only thing that's putting me off pulling the trigger on one.

Edwardius wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Do any of these phones have properly-functioning GPS and do any of the fixes actually work properly? Its the only thing that's putting me off pulling the trigger on one.

GPS aint great but apparently theres workarounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I have a Jiayu 3GS and I don't have any issues with GPS. Sometimes it takes a minute to get a fix but after that it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Páid wrote: »
    I have a Jiayu 3GS and I don't have any issues with GPS. Sometimes it takes a minute to get a fix but after that it's fine.
    Great. I've narrowed down to the G3S (or G3T), FAEA F2 or THL w200.

Was thinking of buying from hongkonggeek, is there any disadvantage to going with china post over DHL? I'm not really in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My G3 GPS experience (thats the original G3 bt I assume its the same GPS) is extremely variable, I mostly use it for cycling long distance in the Wicklow mountains, some days its great, gets a lock in a minute, records my route in STRAVA if I want, accurate to a couple of feet, other days its completely maddening, taking an age to get a lock, constantly dropping it, sometimes Im moving properly on it distance and speed wise except its decided to jump me back to where I turned it on so it looks like Im doing 30 kph through my house. Same as all these phones really, if you're on the road or out on sites for your job and need a powerful GPS then its definitely not for you, for rare journeys to new places they'll do okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I use Strava almost every day and don't have a problem with the GPS while using it.
    sometimes Im moving properly on it distance and speed wise except its decided to jump me back to where I turned it on so it looks like Im doing 30 kph through my house
    That may be Strava, not the phone's GPS. Does the same thing happen if you use MyTracks to record the GPX? You can use both at the same time.

I used to use Couch25k and it's gps handling is woeful. Apparently I once reached speeds in excess of 60kph while out for a jog. MyTracks (which I was using at the same time) recorded an accurate GPX.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats Google Maps that does the jumping back to the start of the journey bug, seems to happen when you go through a thick clump of trees or block the view to the South for a long time, Id say if it was up on the dash of a car instead of on a top tube bag hanging down underneath me.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i bought of merimobiles.. they send a few bits and pieces ( like a flip case / rubberr casing etc ) but hongkongeek will refund customer charge whic at 23 % +6 handling fee is probably worth more...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Merimobiles will declare the value at a lower cost than its worth so you won't get caught for high VAT in the first place though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

BroLo wrote: »
    Merimobiles will declare the value at a lower cost than its worth so you won't get caught for high VAT in the first place though.

If customs catch it they will look for a receipt. They take no notice of what's written on the box anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

I got a tablet from Merimobiles and asked them to mark it as a low value item, and what did they write down on the box.... that it was an "Ebook"!! Who the hell ships an electronic book from China in a big box!

Needless to say the box was opened by customs and I got stung for tax.

Páid wrote: »

The GPS issue affects all MTK5689 chip phones and as far as I am aware there is no 'fix' for it. Some of the so-called fixes will get you an initial first fix quickly but once you start moving it will lose the 'fix' and it becomes complete unreliable especially in a built-up area.

The THL W200 and other phones that use the MTK5689T chip seem to perform much better, but I have not had a chance to try the google maps navigation properly yet, but the 'wandering blue dot/arrow' does not seem to occur, and using GPS TEST, it fixes quickly and picks up a lot more sats (and seems to hold the fix).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I have gone ahead and purchased one of these via DHL
    http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4-thickbattery-mtk6589t-quad-core-47-inch-ips-hd-retina-screen-android-42-1gb-ram-13mp-camera-3000mah-battery-gyroscope-smartphone_p1943.html
    jiayu-jyg4, anyone have it? Came to 200 euro with a 16gig card and shipping costs. Sounded pretty good.
    Hows it working out for anyone that has it?

This phone is going through the wall it just wont let me install GAPPS at all :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Is there a difference between the MTK6589 and the MTK6589T as regards GPS functionality?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement