Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

Panthro wrote: »
    quick question, did you order from Mixeshop?
    Can I've a rundown on the timeline (what date you order, what date it arrived?)
    I've ordered the G4 too, and am very interested to hear more about it!

Yes. Ordered 30th, shipped the 9th and arrived the 11th. It was China National Week until the 6th I think so I thought it was a good turnover time considering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Yes. Ordered 30th, shipped the 9th and arrived the 11th. It was China National Week until the 6th I think so I thought it was a good turnover time considering that.

Cheers, ordered mine on the 11th, wondering how long of a wait I have!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

http://www.merimobiles.com/h920-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-android-4-2-5-0-inch-fhd-screen-1920-1080-dual-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-smartphone_p/meri7741.htm?setCurrencyId=33

What do people think? Seems like great value. Only down side I see is the 4GB internal memory but that shouldn't be too much hassle?

Also does anyone know a trustworthy place to get a GooPhone? My girlfriend loves the look of iPhones (blasphemy I know :P ) but the price of a goophone is just too good to turn away for her, plus it's still Android :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BroLo wrote: »
    Also does anyone know a trustworthy place to get a GooPhone? My girlfriend loves the look of iPhones (blasphemy I know :P ) but the price of a goophone is just too good to turn away for her, plus it's still Android :D

probably a significant danger of customs destroying one of those if they caught it - its a blatant counterfeit

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    probably a significant danger of customs destroying one of those if they caught it - its a blatant counterfeit

This is true. Although they seem to do two versions, one with Goophone logos and one with Apple logos.

Would the Goophone version be at as much risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

This is true. Although they seem to do two versions, one with Goophone logos and one with Apple logos.

Would the Goophone version be at as much risk?

Probably from customs officials pissing themselves laughing at the name :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

http://www.merimobiles.com/h920-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-android-4-2-5-0-inch-fhd-screen-1920-1080-dual-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-smartphone_p/meri7741.htm?setCurrencyId=33

What do people think? Seems like great value. Only down side I see is the 4GB internal memory but that shouldn't be too much hassle?

Looks like a decent option. Its a lot of phone for the money. Would be nice to hear from anyone who has experience of the make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Not sure if there is any advantage in that one over something like the THL W200 ?

Actually it looks to be almost identical to the MX58 PRO, if not actually the same phone under a different name.

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-3g-smartphone_p/meri7518.htm

http://www.pandawill.com/h920-turbo-smartphone-mtk6589t-15ghz-50-inch-1080p-fhd-screen-android-42-black-p75740.html

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Cheers, ordered mine on the 11th, wondering how long of a wait I have!:D

I ordered mine Wednesday night. Shipped Monday and got the text off DHL saying a delivery driver has it so hopefully it'll arrive today. Great service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

phunks wrote: »
    I ordered mine Wednesday night. Shipped Monday and got the text off DHL saying a delivery driver has it so hopefully it'll arrive today. Great service.

Good stuff!
    Did you have to pay any customs?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Not sure if there is any advantage in that one over something like the THL W200 ?

Actually it looks to be almost identical to the MX58 PRO, if not actually the same phone under a different name.

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-3g-smartphone_p/meri7518.htm

http://www.pandawill.com/h920-turbo-smartphone-mtk6589t-15ghz-50-inch-1080p-fhd-screen-android-42-black-p75740.html

Against the THL it has a better resolution and is Dual Active vs Dual Standby

Against the MX58 its again dual active vs dual standby. Also its in stock :P

Dual active is something I'd need as I'd need both sims to be able to receive calls and texts at the same time without having to continually swap them.

Dual active is something I'd need as I'd need both sims to be able to receive calls and texts at the same time without having to continually swap them.

Don't forget to bear in mind the 'accuracy' or otherwise of some of the specs that sellers sometimes put up.

For instance

Camera:
    Front 0.3 pixel, Back 12.0 mega pixel flash light
    and
    12.0 mega pixel Back Camera
    5.0 Megapixel Front Camera

Both from the spec list ?? Battery capacity might be 'exaggerated' also.

Not sure about the 'dual active' thing.

I actually thought it was the 'exact same' phone as the MX58 Pro (just under a different name).

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-8gb-3g-smartphone_p/meri7923.htm

Tis in stock (well according to the site it is, ships in 2-3 business days,) but they can be 'economical with the truth' regarding that sometimes too!!)

I would try and confirm the dual active thing with them before purchasing, and even then check elsewhere to confirm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Any of these have 4G that would work over here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Hey, just to update you. Received the phone yesterday for my friend. Only took 2 days once it was shipped. Was caught for customs for about €30. She hasn't the chance to try the GPS yet. If you have any other questions let me know. :)

Thanks. My friend decided to go ahead with it aswell, and received the phone yesterday. Very quick turnaround.

There is something I was wondering about the jiayu G4. It has Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE), however Android 4.3 is needed to use Bluetooth 4.0.

Is there any way to update to 4.3 or will there likely be an option in the future? whats people's two cents on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ste- wrote: »

http://www.merimobiles.com/4g/

Check those.

Don't forget to bear in mind the 'accuracy' or otherwise of some of the specs that sellers sometimes put up.

For instance

Camera:
    Front 0.3 pixel, Back 12.0 mega pixel flash light
    and
    12.0 mega pixel Back Camera
    5.0 Megapixel Front Camera

Both from the spec list ?? Battery capacity might be 'exaggerated' also.

Not sure about the 'dual active' thing.

I actually thought it was the 'exact same' phone as the MX58 Pro (just under a different name).

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-8gb-3g-smartphone_p/meri7923.htm

Tis in stock (well according to the site it is, ships in 2-3 business days,) but they can be 'economical with the truth' regarding that sometimes too!!)

I would try and confirm the dual active thing with them before purchasing, and even then check elsewhere to confirm!!

It wasn't in stock when I went to check it an our ago :P

Of course specs could be dodgy, as you gave an example of.

That's why I have yet to pull the trigger on one of these.

It wasn't in stock when I went to check it an our ago :P

2 different links, 1 says in stock and the other doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ste- wrote: »
    Tbh if I was splashing the cash on 4G Id go Samsung or HTC just to be sure I was getting my moneys worth and not always wondering if I was getting the full 4G experience after scrimping on the hardware, the 3G/H performance is perfect but even if the 4G was working perfect you'd still be wondering, I would anyway, Im sure in a year or so they'll be perfect but its early days right now.

Then again the 4G chips in the generic phones are probably rolling off the exact same production lines that are building the Apple/Samsung hardware so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Thargor wrote: »
    Tbh if I was splashing the cash on 4G Id go Samsung or HTC just to be sure I was getting my moneys worth and not always wondering if I was getting the full 4G experience after scrimping on the hardware, the 3G/H performance is perfect but even if the 4G was working perfect you'd still be wondering, I would anyway, Im sure in a year or so they'll be perfect but its early days right now.

Then again the 4G chips in the generic phones are probably rolling off the exact same production lines that are building the Apple/Samsung hardware so who knows?

Yeha I'm just looking at what's out there at the moment to be honest as I'm with three which god knows when they'll have their 4G rolling out. Thinking also Nexus 5 if I can get my hands on it. Probably won't be upgrading till next year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im on 3 PAYG unlimited, €20 top up every month and I honestly dont see what benefits 4G will bring to me especially if theres a data cap, when Im out and about its as good as being on wi-fi on my UPC connection in the house, never drops for a second around Dublin even up in the Wicklow mountains and I can stream films and tv in bed in the middle of nowhere in Galway at the weekends with XBMC, couldnt be happier with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

I could be corrected here but I believe if a phone is dual standby it means that both sims are active at the same time.

You will not have to swap them over.

Barr wrote: »
    I could be corrected here but I believe if a phone is dual standby it means that both sims are active at the same time.

Dual SIM Dual Stand-by (DSDS) - allows two SIM cards to be on standby waiting for a call. When a call is established on one SIM card, the other is no longer active. Callers to the other SIM will hear a message that the phone is switched off or they'll be redirected to voicemail.

You're right in terms of calls.

But what about texts and data. If I'm using data on one sim is the other switched off?
    If I send a text off one is the other turned off?

Barr wrote: »

http://www.gogi.in/difference-dual-active-dual-standby.html

Not sure if that clarifies it??

It does for me.

Dual Active is what I need alright. The problem is getting one that is definitely Dual Active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I'm going crazy here, driving myself mad trying to decide what to buy, and where to buy from,
    Amazon have most of these phones or there's dozens of the Chinese sites.
    need to order but can't make my mind up,

My budget is roughly €130-€175 ish

The main contenders are,

The THL W100, I know it's not the latest or best thing but it still looks good - for the price.

Jiayu G3T, I know people with the G3S and the G3T and they seem very happy with them,

THL W200, Very tempted with the THL W200, it looks very nice but i don't think it has Gorilla Glass and i don't know how much difference it would make not having it ?.

iOcean x7 Pro. It looks very nice but no experience with this model or manufacture,

or a Zopo ? I like the look of the Zopo's but they are a little more expensive, would it be worth spending a little more ?

Any help, Recommendations or advice,
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Good stuff!
    Did you have to pay any customs?

Don't actually have it yet missed the delivery today but have arranged to collect it tomorrow. Customs is €12. I ordered the 2GB version so delighted with that was worried it was going to be a lot higher.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Can anyone recommend me a decent phone from one of these sites , Budget €200-300 . Dual sim doesn't interest me & I'm not a big user of gps so they're not a problem . I just want something nice & quick that won't give me any problems .

That Xiaomi MI3 looks brilliant but I don't see anywhere selling it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    That Xiaomi MI3 looks brilliant but I don't see anywhere selling it yet.

You won't see the international version of the MI3 (the one with the Snapdragon processor) until supposedly November and even then you'll probably pay a hefty mark-up on the likes of Aliexpress. Hopefully Hugo Barra's joining Xiaomi means they'll open a proper international stole like Oppo have in the near-ish future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Is it possible to get the Jiayu G3T in white? Merimobiles only seem to have it in black. Are there any other reputable stores out there that may have it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement