Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me a decent phone from one of these sites , Budget €200-300 . Dual sim doesn't interest me & I'm not a big user of gps so they're not a problem . I just want something nice & quick that won't give me any problems .

That Xiaomi MI3 looks brilliant but I don't see anywhere selling it yet.

I've been using the THL W11 for about 3 weeks now and I really like it. With DHL delivery it came to about 230 from Mixeshop* (add another 55 if you get caught for customs). It's got a full HD screen (very crisp, but the colours are a little 'warm' when compared side-by-side with other phones), it's very quick and is a pleasure to use, and has 32gb built-in ROM (not expandable). The GPS is basically awful, but you say that's not important to you. In the first 4/5 days I had to do two hard resets because of glitches, but it's worked perfectly since then.

*Mixeshop have mixed reviews but my experience with them was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Evening all.

Just to lower the tone somewhat — I was looking for a cheap-and-cheerful bargain for the OH and ended up clicking on this when a 10% discount brought it below the €50 mark — free shipping by China Post Slow Boat. Anyone know it or got any opinions? Her needs are fairly simple (no gaming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

peckerhead wrote: »
    Evening all.

Just to lower the tone somewhat — I was looking for a cheap-and-cheerful bargain for the OH and ended up clicking on this when a 10% discount brought it below the €50 mark — free shipping by China Post Slow Boat. Anyone know it or got any opinions? Her needs are fairly simple (no gaming).

For the price you cant go wrong. Looks different too with the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gneoh

Anyone had one of the Zoppo ZP980? How they fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

peckerhead wrote: »
    Evening all.

Thought it looked a bit chunky and checked the size in the specs.

6.27 x 2.75 x 1.57 inch ?!!!:eek: Over an inch and a half thick ??!! but I would hope that is incorrect. Package size, phone is only .31inch.

As previous posted said, you can't go wrong for the price!! 512mb ram would be on the low side, but probably will do the job for what you want it for.

My THL W200 hit the tiled floor last night and failed to recover, so if you buy a phone, buy a case or buy a phone with Gorilla Glass!! Should have kept my MX58 Air!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

gneoh wrote: »
    Anyone had one of the Zoppo ZP980? How they fair?

I have a Zopo C2 ordered and supposedly on the way, i will let you know what the Zopo's are like when i get it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

BroLo wrote: »
    http://www.merimobiles.com/h920-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-android-4-2-5-0-inch-fhd-screen-1920-1080-dual-camera-dual-sim-wcdma-smartphone_p/meri7741.htm?setCurrencyId=33

What do people think? Seems like great value. Only down side I see is the 4GB internal memory but that shouldn't be too much hassle?

Took a punt on this . Total came to €195 with an Sd card & delivery . Hopefully it's decent .

Against the MX58 its again dual active vs dual standby. Also its in stock :P

Dual active is something I'd need as I'd need both sims to be able to receive calls and texts at the same time without having to continually swap them.

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-3g-smartphone_p/meri7518.htm

DUAL SIM - DUAL STANDBY

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-8gb-3g-smartphone_p/meri7923.htm

SAME PHONE - DUAL SIM - DUAL ACTIVE !!??? and in stock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

eamonnq wrote: »

This is the one gripe I have with MeriMobiles. Their spec list is always suspect.
    Took a punt on this . Total came to €195 with an Sd card & delivery . Hopefully it's decent .

What size SD Card?

How much was delivery and who was it with?

Let us know if you get caught for customs. And can you let me know if it is Dual Active if you can? :)

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Futher to my GPS fix solution I posted earlier I'd like to report it only works if your stood still for 30 seconds at a time.
    The lag while driving just causes it to jump all over the map & you have to pull in every few turns to make sure you're on the right heading.
    I've bit the bullet & put a GPS tracker on my Santa list.
    This simple cheap device seems to have good reviews & connects using bluetooth.
    http://dx.com/p/65-channel-car-navigation-and-tracking-bluetooth-gps-receiver-data-logger-26337
    It's available on aliexpress & ebay for small money.
    25 quid is a small price to pay instead of trawling the internet for magic fixes which don't work.

• Advertisement

6.27 x 2.75 x 1.57 inch ?!!!:eek: Over an inch and a half thick ??!! but I would hope that is incorrect. Package size, phone is only .31inch.

As previous posted said, you can't go wrong for the price!! 512mb ram would be on the low side, but probably will do the job for what you want it for.

My THL W200 hit the tiled floor last night and failed to recover, so if you buy a phone, buy a case or buy a phone with Gorilla Glass!! Should have kept my MX58 Air!!

What are you gonna buy now?

What are you gonna buy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

phunks wrote: »
    Don't actually have it yet missed the delivery today but have arranged to collect it tomorrow. Customs is €12. I ordered the 2GB version so delighted with that was worried it was going to be a lot higher.:D

Jayus, 12euro is alright, isn't it?!
    I got the email from mixeshop this morning to say it is now in the hands of DHL.
    I could be the proud owner by tomorrow all going good!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm looking for a new android for my son.
    Thinking of something along the lines of this
    As with it being waterproof etc. it should be fairly kidproof, any idea what kinda performance i could expect from this?
    Gaming?
    Anyone have any recommendations for similar?

And as an aside, I'm seriously thinking of maybe pulling the trigger on a new phablet style phone after my own Xperia Z bloody nightmare ;)
    So any recommendations on a phone with similar performance and with particular regards to camera performance would be appreciated.

Futher to my GPS fix solution I posted earlier I'd like to report it only works if your stood still for 30 seconds at a time.
    The lag while driving just causes it to jump all over the map & you have to pull in every few turns to make sure you're on the right heading.
    I've bit the bullet & put a GPS tracker on my Santa list.

I would have given you my one for half that price, if you weren't the sort of person who parks in disabled spots!!:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

This is the one gripe I have with MeriMobiles. Their spec list is always suspect.

What size SD Card?

How much was delivery and who was it with?

Let us know if you get caught for customs. And can you let me know if it is Dual Active if you can? :)

Got the 16Gb SD card & delivery was €17 with DHL .

I'll have a look to see if it dual active or not when it comes .

Got the 16Gb SD card & delivery was €17 with DHL .

I'll have a look to see if it dual active or not when it comes .

If you can buy accessories such as memory cards, chargers, cases etc. locally then it is better to do this to keep the value of your imported order lower in case customs get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That Xiaomi MI3 looks brilliant but I don't see anywhere selling it yet.
    Apparently it sold out in 90 secs! in China!
    http://androidandme.com/2013/10/news/hugo-barra-states-that-xiaomi-sold-100000-mi3s-in-under-90-seconds/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

So I got my g3t. I can happily confirm it works a treat with 48. Going from an iphone 3gs. The screen is unbelievably crisp. Looks fantastic. Delighted with it. And as a plus I got in 4 days and didn't get hit with customs. Happy customer all round. I bought it from mixeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

keithg89 wrote: »
    So I got my g3t. I can happily confirm it works a treat with 48. Going from an iphone 3gs. The screen is unbelievably crisp. Looks fantastic. Delighted with it. And as a plus I got in 4 days and didn't get hit with customs. Happy customer all round. I bought it from mixeshop.

What colour did you get it in? Do you know if it's possible to get it in white?

• Advertisement

What colour did you get it in? Do you know if it's possible to get it in white?

http://jiayumart.com/jiayu-g3t-smartphone-mtk6589t-15ghz-quad-core-android-42-45-inch-ips-screen-3g-wifisliver-p-114.html

Don't know how trustworthy etc.

keithg89 wrote: »

Rooted with google play etc?

Rooted with google play etc?

Yes

Does anyone know where to pick up cases for these phones? Specifically the Jiayu 3GST from MeriMobiles?

Thanks in advance

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I would have given you my one for half that price, if you weren't the sort of person who parks in disabled spots!!:P:P

That's because the GPS fecked up, em no . . . . . not really

What surprised me most about those reviews were that most people had reputable devices, Samsung Galaxy 2 & Tom Toms but they still needed the tracking device to get a proper lock.
    For such small money I wish I thought of it some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Actually am thinking of going for the Mlais MX58 Pro. Works out at €185 including DHL Shipping and a Case. Anyone have any experience with this phone?

Actually am thinking of going for the Mlais MX58 Pro. Works out at €185 including DHL Shipping and a Case. Anyone have any experience with this phone?

Think I will too :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Think I will too :pac::D

I think I'll pull the trigger on this later. My current phone is going to go flying out the window soon. Many ordered from Merimobiles before?

EDIT: Just bought this there. Final price €185.83 with DHL and case. If using PayPal make sure you let your bank handle the conversation fees as most of the time PayPal will charge more.

I think I'll pull the trigger on this later. My current phone is going to go flying out the window soon. Many ordered from Merimobiles before?

EDIT: Just bought this there. Final price €185.83 with DHL and case. If using PayPal make sure you let your bank handle the conversation fees as most of the time PayPal will charge more.

I use them over others as they are quite good with their customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

On Merimobiles, what does "Protector +Installation [+ $7.99]" refer to? Is it a protector already installed by them, or is it a protector AND root firmware installation??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement