Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Actually am thinking of going for the Mlais MX58 Pro. Works out at €185 including DHL Shipping and a Case. Anyone have any experience with this phone?

I think that would be a good choice, the only thing I would have added would be the option to let them root it, as at least that way you know you would not get a DOA unit, but that is probably unlikely anyway.

If customs get it you can expect maybe another 55-60euro on top, but hopefully they wont!!

On Merimobiles, what does "Protector +Installation [+ $7.99]" refer to? Is it a protector already installed by them, or is it a protector AND root firmware installation??

Protector and Installation is simply that they supply and fit the screen protector for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭FurQyou

Chinese androids? With phones you say?

May god have mercy on us all...

Different chip, not the T version of the chip, so WILL have issues with GPS. Screen is 1280 x 720 on this but the pro is 1920 x 1080. I had one of these phones and they are excellent but for the extra few bob, I would go with the pro, and have the sat-nav (and faster phone, better screen), but if you want to save a few bob and are not bothered about sat-nav, then go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend me a decent phone from one of these sites , Budget €200-300 . Dual sim doesn't interest me & I'm not a big user of gps so they're not a problem . I just want something nice & quick that won't give me any problems .

That Xiaomi MI3 looks brilliant but I don't see anywhere selling it yet.

I wanted to get the Xiaomi Mi3 but in reality I dont think it will be available until 2014 Instead I`m waiting for the Jiayu S1, the next best options are the Neo n3000
    Jiayu G4 advanced

Links
    http://www.1949deal.com/mobile-phone/brand-phone/jiayu.html
    http://www.1949deal.com/mobile-phone/brand-phone/xiaomi.html
    http://www.1949deal.com/mobile-phone/brand-phone/lenovo.html
    http://www.1949deal.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=neo+n003

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

pajopearl wrote: »
    So what's the deal with Dual SIMs? Do they both work together at the same time or are they partitioned and need to be selected to be in use? How are they partitioned in regards to telephone calls and text messages etc? As in how do you know which SIM is receiving the information? I've had a look at some of the websites referenced here and in the spec section of each phone which has a dual SIM there's an entry which says either "Dual SIM, Single Standby" or "Dual SIM, Dual Standby", what does this mean?

Hi,

I guess this is a misunderstanding because, as somebody mentioned before there are only two main types of dual-SIM devices:

- Dual SIM Dual Standby
    - Dual SIM Full Active

I am not sure if the type "Dual SIM, single standby" is valid, maybe is a typo.

I will dig deep in this regard because I am a bit confused about the topic (again).

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

seanin4711 wrote: »
    On a side issue,what do people with dual sim have as their preferred plans and with whom?
    i.e meteor for calls and texts and tesco for data.
    Thanks
    John

Hi,
    I guess people look for dual SIM devices for specific situations instead for the plans, like for instance:

- When they need to strictly separate the use of its numbers (business & family)
    - When they are willing to travel and want to keep its local number and buy a temporary number for the trip (avoiding the roaming over-costs)

However, get two plans in one phone can result also beneficial. For example, anyone can take advantage of the mobile-to-mobile rates (free-calling between mobiles of the same carrier) and reduce its overall consume or do more calls for less money.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

http://dx.com/p/mini-one-mtk6572-dual-core-android-4-2-2-wcdma-bar-phone-w-4-0-screen-wi-fi-fm-and-gps-black-243381

Worth a punt? Only 66 quid, (82 if it gets caught for VAT) free shipping. Cheap and cheerful for the GF. Not a power user, currently using 256MB RAM phone so 512 would be a boost.

Battery seems like shíte but there's 2 so that may make up for it? What do people think?

Is there a risk of it being seized and destroyed cause it looks like the HTC One?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

BroLo wrote: »
    http://dx.com/p/mini-one-mtk6572-dual-core-android-4-2-2-wcdma-bar-phone-w-4-0-screen-wi-fi-fm-and-gps-black-243381

Worth a punt? Only 66 quid, (82 if it gets caught for VAT) free shipping. Cheap and cheerful for the GF. Not a power user, currently using 256MB RAM phone so 512 would be a boost.

Battery seems like shíte but there's 2 so that may make up for it? What do people think?

Is there a risk of it being seized and destroyed cause it looks like the HTC One?

Two battery phones aren't much use unless you have a seperate charger for the second battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Two battery phones aren't much use unless you have a seperate charger for the second battery.

Well if you keep them charged by just swapping them you wouldn't need a separate charger.

BroLo wrote: »
    Well if you keep them charged by just swapping them you wouldn't need a separate charger.

But thats just the same as having one battery. I have two batterys for my phone, and unless you wake up in the middle of the night to change batterys to charge them its really no advantage.

I will be going for a 3000 battery minimum next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Can anyone else here recommend a ROM to use with the Jiayu G4 advanced. Got mine last week and have been impressed with everything so far except the battery. Now I realise I have barely put the thing down but I am getting nowhere near as long as what I expected for its size. Looking at the battery usage 88% percent is being used up by the Android system. Is this normal or due to the ROM I am using. I am using the official ROM from Jiayu.es

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

phunks wrote: »
    Can anyone else here recommend a ROM to use with the Jiayu G4 advanced. Got mine last week and have been impressed with everything so far except the battery. Now I realise I have barely put the thing down but I am getting nowhere near as long as what I expected for its size. Looking at the battery usage 88% percent is being used up by the Android system. Is this normal or due to the ROM I am using. I am using the official ROM from Jiayu.es

Which version of the Jiayu g4 advanced did you get? There`s the thin version with a 1850 mAh battery or the 1.2mm thicker version with a 3000 mAh Battery ??

RaggyDays wrote: »
    Which version of the Jiayu g4 advanced did you get? There`s the thin version with a 1850 mAh battery or the 1.2mm thicker version with a 3000 mAh Battery ??

I have the thicker 3000mAh version.

I have the thicker 3000mAh version.

How long would you get from that battery?

How long would you get from that battery?

Got around 5 hours out of it today but that was more or less using it constantly messing around with apps and playing games. GPS and wifi were both enabled and I had brightness on auto. Is that bad? or I am just being too optimistic?
    That heavy usage was an exception today so I will wait and see how it fairs out with more normal usage. What surprised me though was that it was the Android System that was responsible for 88% of the battery drainage so could that be down to the ROM I am using?

Got around 5 hours out of it today but that was more or less using it constantly messing around with apps and playing games. GPS and wifi were both enabled and I had brightness on auto. Is that bad? or I am just being too optimistic?
    That heavy usage was an exception today so I will wait and see how it fairs out with more normal usage. What surprised me though was that it was the Android System that was responsible for 88% of the battery drainage so could that be down to the ROM I am using?

Turn data, wifi and GPS off when not using. They really drain the batterys. You should also go into Task Manager and kill all apps every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Has anyone else had this with DHL

Clearance event: 10.05
    Please contact DHL: 9.55
    Customs status updated: 9.55

What do I do here?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Panthro wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this with DHL

Clearance event: 10.05
    Please contact DHL: 9.55
    Customs status updated: 9.55

What do I do here?

ring them up. they'll ask you to send copy of invoice. they'll release it and you'll get package. bill for customs will arrive a few weeks after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

My order from Merimobiles was shipped with Dhl on Friday ,I didn't get a tracking number off them . Do they usually supply one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

My order from Merimobiles was shipped with Dhl on Friday ,I didn't get a tracking number off them . Do they usually supply one ?

Takes a while with merimobiles can be a little annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

SimmerDean wrote: »
    ring them up. they'll ask you to send copy of invoice. they'll release it and you'll get package. bill for customs will arrive a few weeks after

any chance you have the email address I'm supposed to send it on to?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Panthro wrote: »
    any chance you have the email address I'm supposed to send it on to?

pop.imports@dhl.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Takes a while with merimobiles can be a little annoying.
    Takes a while for the delivery or for the tracking number ? I was hoping to have it this week .

Takes a while for the delivery or for the tracking number ? I was hoping to have it this week .

You might have the goods before you get the tracking number!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

eamonnq wrote: »
    You might have the goods before you get the tracking number!!

That right there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

Anyone have any experience with deutsche post and customs? Have phone on order and supposedly on route (have tracking number but not giving any info yet so may not be in Germany yet) and going to be delivered to work. Will I get notice before it arrives if I owe anything?

efahey wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with deutsche post and customs? Have phone on order and supposedly on route (have tracking number but not giving any info yet so may not be in Germany yet) and going to be delivered to work. Will I get notice before it arrives if I owe anything?

Where did you buy the phone from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭wawaman

Has anyone ever bought a phone on DHgate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement