Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Right payday Wednesday hit me with links guys!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

eamonnq wrote: »
    Where did you buy the phone from ?

Pandawill was supposed to be sent by China post but they have supposedly stop sending items with two batteries so they change it to deutsche post instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

deutsche post is DHL , you usually get custom fees with them

spix wrote: »
    deutsche post is DHL , you usually get custom fees with them

Will I get notified before hand as I'm getting it delivered to work and might not be there to pay when it get delivered but if knew amount then could leave it with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

wawaman wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought a phone on DHgate?

I would say loads of people have!!

but I am not one of them.

I would say loads of people have!!

but I am not one of them.

DHGate reminds me a bit of Ebay so I'm not a massive fan of it.

BroLo wrote: »
    It does for me.

Dual Active is what I need alright. The problem is getting one that is definitely Dual Active.

Jaysus, you will have to make your mind up!!

Jaysus, you will have to make your mind up!!

Dual Active is for myself. But Im also looking for the missus, who keeps changing her budget :P

Right payday Wednesday hit me with links guys!!!!

THIS ??!!

If I was purchasing anytime soon, I would be going with this: http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-pro-mtk6589t-quad-core-1-5ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1920-1080-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-8gb-3g-smartphone_p/meri7923.htm

MIUI rom available so would stick that on it too.

or another THL W200 (but with a case!!!)

• Advertisement

Dual Active is for myself. But Im also looking for the missus, who keeps changing her budget :P

Change your missus!!

for a few euro more............http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-mx58-air-mtk6589-quad-core-1-2ghz-5-0-inch-ips-1280-720-with-android-4-2-12-0mp-camera-3g-smartphone_p/meri7517.htm?setCurrencyId=33

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rod1983

Looking at buying a phone on amazon. Can anyone tell me if it'd be worth it/work here and if i'd be charged customs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E0JPZXO/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb? ie=UTF8

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rod1983

Looking at buying a phone on amazon. Can anyone tell me if it'd be worth it/work here and if i'd be charged customs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

rod1983 wrote: »

Can't comment on the phone itself but I bought a tho w100 off draco tec a couple weeks ago and they were good. They stated on the listing that duty was included and it came to me via parcel motel OK.

Can't comment on the phone itself but I bought a tho w100 off draco tec a couple weeks ago and they were good. They stated on the listing that duty was included and it came to me via parcel motel OK.

Does it go past customs for free if they just say that customs are paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Did for me anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

My understanding of it is that DracoTEK is a UK based store on Amazon and as such, you are not liable for customs as you are buying from a UK retailer. I'd imagine that they have a Chinese supplier who they buy from, or are a subsidiary of one. Basically the UK based store pays the customs which they pass on to you. I'm sure that the price you paid on Amazon is basically the same as if you had bought it direct from a Chinese site and tacked on the duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Have found mixed reviews on that particular phone, the s9920 galaxi mini clone.
    For the money (sub €100 including postage from parcel Motel) I'd be tempted as my wife serially destroys every good phone I give her.

i'm pretty sure it will work here.
    However I've seen a few threads of people saying the screen becomes unsresponsive...or the phone "has a mind of its own" and shuts down apps etc.

If you google s9920 alps you will find plenty of material.

Post back if you buy!

uRbaN wrote: »
    Have found mixed reviews on that particular phone, the s9920 galaxi mini clone.

If it is a clone of something else such as a Samsung, there is a chance that it will be destroyed by customs also, just bear that in mind.

If it is a clone of something else such as a Samsung, there is a chance that it will be destroyed by customs also, just bear that in mind.

Is this also true if its unbranded or has a different brand? In other words it just looks like the original and doesn't have any of the original logos etc.

• Advertisement

Is this also true if its unbranded or has a different brand? In other words it just looks like the original and doesn't have any of the original logos etc.

If it 'looks' like a Samsung, then it might get destroyed regardless of logos or anything else. Probably unlikely to happen, but just something to bear in mind, unless you really just want a phone that looks like something else, I would be inclined to steer clear of anything that looks like a S3/S4 or an Iphone especially.

If it 'looks' like a Samsung, then it might get destroyed regardless of logos or anything else. Probably unlikely to happen, but just something to bear in mind, unless you really just want a phone that looks like something else, I would be inclined to steer clear of anything that looks like a S3/S4 or an Iphone especially.

Thanks. Was just curious cause I might be going for the Cubot One soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Anyone have much experience with AliExpress? Current phone has given up the ghost and I want to pick up something decent but relatively cheap to use until the Mi3/Nexus 5 are released. Thinking about giving €80 for a Huawei Y300 in eMobile/Meteor to tide me over but if I can get something decent to give to someone else in the family afterwards so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Panthro wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this with DHL

Clearance event: 10.05
    Please contact DHL: 9.55
    Customs status updated: 9.55

What do I do here?

Update
    Had to email on a proof of purchase to Customs (phone was bought for 220euro, they had it valued at $65)
    Got stung for 52euro customs charge.
    I'm not at home at the min, so hopefully the phone is up and running!

Update
    Had to email on a proof of purchase to Customs (phone was bought for 220euro, they had it valued at $65)
    Got stung for 52euro customs charge.
    I'm not at home at the min, so hopefully the phone is up and running!

Did they let you know before delivery how much was due? I have package on route with DHL which will probably get hit by customs, I am prepared for it depending oh what value customs put on it, but getting it delivered to work and I'm on a weeks holiday next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

efahey wrote: »
    Did they let you know before delivery how much was due? I have package on route with DHL which will probably get hit by customs, I am prepared for it depending oh what value customs put on it, but getting it delivered to work and I'm on a weeks holiday next week.

No, I didn't get any notification on how much it would be I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

No, I didn't get any notification on how much it would be I'm afraid.

23% VAT?

220 x .23 = 50.60 - seems about right...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

Anyone have much experience with AliExpress? Current phone has given up the ghost and I want to pick up something decent but relatively cheap to use until the Mi3/Nexus 5 are released. Thinking about giving €80 for a Huawei Y300 in eMobile/Meteor to tide me over but if I can get something decent to give to someone else in the family afterwards so much the better.

Have a look at www.1949deal.com
    I bought 2 phones from them and found them ok. Paid no customs as the package was marked as a low value item :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

efahey wrote: »

I bought my phone through mixeshop and shipping was with DHL and I received a text that morning letting me know how much the customs charge would be.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement