Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

we get it :P

can someone confirm that this phone has gorilla glass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

One thing I hate about Merimobiles is the lenght of time it takes them to process orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Anyone got a phone delivered by DHL recently? What kind of fees were you charged (not vat, but their additional fees)

Also am I right to assume that phones are duty free and its just vat that's charged?

spix wrote: »
    Anyone got a phone delivered by DHL recently? What kind of fees were you charged (not vat, but their additional fees)

Also am I right to assume that phones are duty free and its just vat that's charged?

Cost me 11.50 this week and prob be hit for 20 on vat.

Cost me 11.50 this week and prob be hit for 20 on vat.

Is that an extra fee DHL charged you and not original delivery cost? Strange they didn't get you to pay vat at the same time :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

DHL charge 2% i think

Is that an extra fee DHL charged you and not original delivery cost? Strange they didn't get you to pay vat at the same time :/

11.50 was the delivery its usually dearer.

DHL charge 2% i think

Just saw your thread :D Do you remember how the 20.88 broke down? You said it was valued at 60$ so the vat should have been around 10 euro + dhl's 2% fee. Doesn't really add up...wondering if they snuck another handling fee in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Avoid dhl,FedEx etc
    Go for cheaper longer postage,

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Avoid dhl,FedEx etc

But but but I want a new phone nowwwwww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 eljako

I'm looking to get my first proper smart-phone and thinking of copying Tallaghtmick and DomhnaillOg and buying the Jiayu G3ST. I'm not too tech savvy so the talk of changing the ROM is past me at the moment. Is it easy to do?

eljako wrote: »
    I'm looking to get my first proper smart-phone and thinking of copying Tallaghtmick and DomhnaillOg and buying the Jiayu G3ST. I'm not too tech savvy so the talk of changing the ROM is past me at the moment. Is it easy to do?

Ive never used changed a rom without rom manager so ive no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

daytob wrote: »
    Looking for a 4.7 - 5inch phone. 2gbs of ram, 32 gb and a large battery, 3000mAh
    Saw this, http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4-thickbattery-2g-ram-32g-rom-mtk6589t-15ghz-quad-core-47-inch-hd-ips-retina-screen-android-42-13mp-camera-gyroscope-smartphone_p2594.html

anyone any other ideas, please? thanks a mill

I'm in the same boat - this phone looks very tempting.

Is there any better alternatives for the money ?

Would mixeshop offer the best value ?

aliexpress is always the cheapest, just make sure to buy from a seller with good feedback

aliexpress is always the cheapest, just make sure to buy from a seller with good feedback

Avoid them if possible even the highest rated guys will sell crap, I got caught out before.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

Couldn't recommend the Jiayu G4 advanced enough. All in with a case, delivery and customs set me back €230 from mixeshop. Delivery only took 6 days too. Great build quality and the ROM from jiayu.es runs very smooth. With a case it does feel slightly on the thicker size but sturdy in the hand I'd be confident it could survive a drop our two. Doesnt have any issues with GPS either. Havent tried it using the navigation yet but RunKeeperworks well. One complaint is the LED flash is pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Bleh, went back and had them change to a THL W200, rationalised for another €20 I was getting an altogether better phone. Only thing that concerns me is the battery life isn't meant to be fantastic but that's why God invented Juice Defender. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Bleh, went back and had them change to a THL W200, rationalised for another €20 I was getting an altogether better phone.

I think you did the right thing, for €20 it's a whole lot better phone.

I think you did the right thing, for €20 it's a whole lot better phone.

Yeah, was a bit cheeky and asked them to price match against Mixeshop (who're generally a few bob cheaper because they overcharge on delivery), she said she'd pass it on to her manager as he'd have to OK it. Maybe I'll get lucky, maybe I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'd be very interested to see how you get on with the W200, might get one too.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Avoid dhl,FedEx etc

I did that - my phone is still in f*%@ing Singapore after nearly a month...

loyatemu wrote: »

I would just ask for my money back.

loyatemu wrote: »

Who'd you order it through?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Bleh, went back and had them change to a THL W200, rationalised for another €20 I was getting an altogether better phone. Only thing that concerns me is the battery life isn't meant to be fantastic but that's why God invented Juice Defender. :pac:

Briefly had a W200, excellent phone, but make sure you get a case on it as soon as you get it (I didn't) so am now left in need of a replacement screen.:mad:

eamonnq wrote: »
    Briefly had a W200, excellent phone, but make sure you get a case on it as soon as you get it (I didn't) so am now left in need of a replacement screen.:mad:

The order alteration won't be fully processed until tomorrow so I'll add one then. Might add get of the plastic screen protectors too even though I loathe the damn things (can never get them on without bubbles). I knew there wasn't Gorilla Glass on the phone but is it really that susceptible to damage?

Should I get a case for the Jiayu?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Who'd you order it through?

Focalprice - its currently in transit with Swedish Post according to the tracking system. According to the thread on Modaco there are delays on anything shipping by regular post from China due to new restrictions on shipping batteries.
    I would just ask for my money back.

it has shipped, its just damn slow

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Can anyone suggest a nice cheap one of these that I can use as an MP3 player for the gym? RAM & ROM don't matter that much as I'll be using an SD card and I'll only be playing music on it.

I've been looking on DealeXtreme but most of them are S4 mini clones, so I'd be afraid of it being seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

phunks wrote: »
    Couldn't recommend the Jiayu G4 advanced enough. All in with a case, delivery and customs set me back €230 from mixeshop. Delivery only took 6 days too. Great build quality and the ROM from jiayu.es runs very smooth. With a case it does feel slightly on the thicker size but sturdy in the hand I'd be confident it could survive a drop our two. Doesnt have any issues with GPS either. Havent tried it using the navigation yet but RunKeeperworks well. One complaint is the LED flash is pretty useless.

how did you get it delivered? dhl ?

• Advertisement

BroLo wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a nice cheap one of these that I can use as an MP3 player for the gym? RAM & ROM don't matter that much as I'll be using an SD card and I'll only be playing music on it.

I've been looking on DealeXtreme but most of them are S4 mini clones, so I'd be afraid of it being seized.

Would you not be better off just getting a cheap MP3 player then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement