Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

spix wrote: »
    Do you know how much of the 26e was DHL's fee?

I was charged 27.01 euro by Dhl the other day . Receipt says 26.48 was Vat & 53 cent was DHL's administrative fee .

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Yeah. Specifically I was charged 26.33 Import VAT and 53c admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Looks like it's going to take a few more days for my THL W200 to ship, billing department seems to work rather slow when it comes to order changes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I was charged 27.01 euro by Dhl the other day . Receipt says 26.48 was Vat & 53 cent was DHL's administrative fee .

Do they just make up a value and charge around the same on all packages? I assume merimobiles declared it under 115 euro. They better hope they don't do that on things that actually cost under that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

i bought a Jiayu g3t recently. The device is routed. Ever now and again (especially when browsing) the keypad goes a bit crazy. Goes from menu to homescreen and keeps on repeating the sequence. when i reboot its fine. would anyone know where i could go looking for a fix for this. thanks

• Advertisement

tippgod wrote: »
    i bought a Jiayu g3t recently. The device is routed. Ever now and again (especially when browsing) the keypad goes a bit crazy. Goes from menu to homescreen and keeps on repeating the sequence. when i reboot its fine. would anyone know where i could go looking for a fix for this. thanks

You tried changing the launcher? Seems an awful lot of default launchers give trouble on Chinese phones.

Or changing the keyboard? Or what do you mean by keypad? The buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

You tried changing the launcher? Seems an awful lot of default launchers give trouble on Chinese phones.

Thanks for the advice Zeit and aristotle. Can u recommend a launcher and keypad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Swype/SwiftKey, both paid tho

Nova Launcher is the best I've used so far. Can't recommend a keyboard as I've always just used the bog standard one that came with SlimRom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

With the dhl charge, I see there's a few uk sellers (well they say they are), one in wales, Betty mall. Has a great selection of phones, more expensive, but possibly a good bet. I'm after a 5" dual sim, decent camera 8mp, 1gb ram, at least 4gb ROM. Looking at a star S9500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

got a link to betty?
    just running out the door and ill check it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

DHL have fecked up and they have lost tracking on my phone, rang them up and I get told wait until tomorrow!

daytob wrote: »
    got a link to betty?
    just running out the door and ill check it later

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/betty-mall?_trksid=p2047675.l2563#&panel1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

loyatemu wrote: »
    I did that - my phone is still in f*%@ing Singapore after nearly a month...

im the same at the moment they said it was shipped the 23/09/13 yet the tracking number i was given does not work, in a paypal dispute with the website at the moment

im assuming its not in ireland because customs would have got in contact with me

Hococop wrote: »
    im the same at the moment they said it was shipped the 23/09/13 yet the tracking number i was given does not work, in a paypal dispute with the website at the moment

im assuming its not in ireland because customs would have got in contact with me

One of the reasons why Im dubious buying from China. Would rather pay a little more to have it shipped from the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hococop wrote: »

tracking is working for mine - it was most recently in Stockholm, so getting closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Panthro wrote: »
    I have gone ahead and purchased one of these via DHL
    http://www.mixeshop.com/jiayu-jyg4-thickbattery-mtk6589t-quad-core-47-inch-ips-hd-retina-screen-android-42-1gb-ram-13mp-camera-3000mah-battery-gyroscope-smartphone_p1943.html
    jiayu-jyg4, anyone have it? Came to 200 euro with a 16gig card and shipping costs. Sounded pretty good.
    Hows it working out for anyone that has it?

Have had this phone the guts of a week now (early days I know) but I have to say I'm quite pleased with it (Please don't do asking spec questions as I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to that kind of thing! :o )
    Niggling thing for me is I can't seem to control the order of the apps (aplahabetical/most used etc) would be handy as there are a few Chinsese apps I can't seem to uninstall. No biggy though, Its hardly a deal breaker.
    What I do know is, the battery is way better than my last phone (Sony Xperia P) I half charged it the day I got it, and twice since have I charged it to 100% and I've used it a bit for internet browsing mainly. And the display light is up to the last. I found the Sony had to be charged every single night. This phone doesn't. It's been off the charge since 11pm last night, now granted I've only used it for FB, but its at 85% at the min. Not too shabby to me. Happy enough with the camera picture quality (it will do me) sound during a call etc is all fine. It's pretty responsive too which I like (I found my old phone a bit sticky at times)
    So that's me, happy camper for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

What about a flip case for the jiayu-jyg4 . Anyone know if they are readily available ?

I bought a flip case for my phone the time I bought the phone, and they threw in one of those silicone cases for free aswel.
    I use the flip case, seems grand. Does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Have had this phone the guts of a week now (early days I know) but I have to say I'm quite pleased with it (Please don't do asking spec questions as I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to that kind of thing! :o )
    Niggling thing for me is I can't seem to control the order of the apps (aplahabetical/most used etc) would be handy as there are a few Chinsese apps I can't seem to uninstall. No biggy though, Its hardly a deal breaker.
    What I do know is, the battery is way better than my last phone (Sony Xperia P) I half charged it the day I got it, and twice since have I charged it to 100% and I've used it a bit for internet browsing mainly. And the display light is up to the last. I found the Sony had to be charged every single night. This phone doesn't. It's been off the charge since 11pm last night, now granted I've only used it for FB, but its at 85% at the min. Not too shabby to me. Happy enough with the camera picture quality (it will do me) sound during a call etc is all fine. It's pretty responsive too which I like (I found my old phone a bit sticky at times)

I was just wondering if you paid customs, what delivery method you used and if the GPS worked. Thanks for the review.

I was just wondering if you paid customs, what delivery method you used and if the GPS worked. Thanks for the review.

Yup, customs was 52euro I think it was. Came by DHL, ordered on the 11th, shipped on the 16th, arrived in Ireland 23rd, received it on the 24th. I don't really use the GPS. Just had a look at it there, I'm indoors in a college so it might be difficult to locate me. But yeah, it's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Root it and you can uninstall anything you like, those Chinese apps have to go, they could be sucking battery life or putting Mandarin alphabet in random places like contacts etc, best to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

iOcean x7 landed today. Totally forgot about the different plugs and voltage so didn't order a converter. Any ideas on where I could get a decent one online? I'm assuming it's unlikely the local DIY shops will have one (I live in a rural area).

reuse your old charger

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

iOcean x7 landed today. Totally forgot about the different plugs and voltage so didn't order a converter. Any ideas on where I could get a decent one online? I'm assuming it's unlikely the local DIY shops will have one (I live in a rural area).

Do you not have a USB plug? Could you not just plug the USB cable into that?

can anyone recommend me a decent dual/quad core with 1gb and no bigger than 4.5"

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

BroLo wrote: »
    Do you not have a USB plug? Could you not just plug the USB cable into that?

Haven't got one no. Can probably get my hands on one but it'll be a few days. I'm assuming connecting it to the laptop won't charge it?

it should

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

DHL now blaming merimobiles on my phone status not updating since being shipped after yesterday another agent telling me it was in delivery and will prob update itself, absolute ****e customer service.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement