Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

bidiots wrote: »
    Any idea how much customs will charge?
    I don't know this yet. Do customs come in while the stuff is at the An Post sorting office and select their victims? The e-mail I got from An Post said it would be with me on Monday, if that's any indicator. I've had things arrive before with that dreaded 23% letter alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

They've been known to hold the package until the custom is paid, maybe that is just with couriers tho. It seems to be a random ball ache!

Current Status

ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS
    F*** and s*** and b*******.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fuuuuuuuck, whats the procedure now?

Thargor wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuuck, whats the procedure now?
    Dunno. Maybe this happens to everything that comes in? You'd sort of hope so, except when it's your own gear! They'll probably send it on with the bill attached.

• Advertisement

No way does it happen to everything that comes in anyway, Id say any hope of getting it on Monday or Tuesday is gone now.

Bet mine gets sent to customs next week aswell, they're probably watching for the barcodes from the phone shops.

No way does it happen to everything that comes in anyway, Id say any hope of getting it on Monday or Tuesday is gone now.

Bet mine gets sent to customs next week aswell, they're probably watching for the barcodes from the phone shops.
    Like I said, I got a cheapo tablet from China before and customs didn't slow it down much, they just added a "you owe us €" letter to the package.
    Not a killer here, but it does change my G2+ from being an outright steal to being just a bargain.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rereggie Perrin

Got a G2-S in the post today. Seems decent so far. Hard to see how you could get a new Android 4.1 phone with a good 4 inch screen and dual-core processor for €150 by any other means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Got a G2-S in the post today. Seems decent so far. Hard to see how you could get a new Android 4.1 phone with a good 4 inch screen and dual-core processor for €150 by any other means.
    I got an starb93m from HKG, excellent phone! 4.5 sceeen.

I got an starb93m from HKG, excellent phone! 4.5 sceeen.
    The bigger screen is handy, but the processor runs slower than the G2S (1ghz vs 1.2) and it's running on Android 4.0. It's also only got half the RAM (512k vs 1mb).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi all,

Anyone who bought a G2S recommend a seller to purchase from?

Thanks in advance.

recommend a seller to purchase from?
    I went with Mixeshop.com - no problems at all.

I went with Mixeshop.com - no problems at all.

Cheers. What shipping method did you use. Did you have to wait long for delivery? Did you have to pay customs charges?

Cheers. What shipping method did you use. Did you have to wait long for delivery? Did you have to pay customs charges?
    Came in a week, not caught for customs. I did ask them to mark it as a gift with a value below $100, but I didn't see any customs forms with it when it arrived.

Came in a week, not caught for customs. I did ask them to mark it as a gift with a value below $100, but I didn't see any customs forms with it when it arrived.

Great! One last Q! Was it DHL you used for shipping?

Thanks!

Great! One last Q! Was it DHL you used for shipping?

Thanks!
    Sorry, I meant to say that I went for the free shipping via the post office.

Cheers!! :)

Can't see the option for free shipping myself. Air mail is the cheapest at €12. That's ok too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MariaHolland

Do you have any problems with the screen, known as "G2S jump screen"?

Regards,
    Maria

Just received my GS2, will give an update after a week. So far, its a great looking phone, not too small/big, light, great screen, very happy so far....

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    F*** and s*** and b*******.

How much customs did you get hit with Dan?

Thar, any sign of the phone yet?

• Advertisement

Nope still says Despatched to overseas (Country code: IE) on the tracking with a date from 4 days ago, did the one customs took turn up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Sorry amateur hour from me.
    Much of a difference between the G3 and the G2S? Power and computable capabilities or is there more?

I had the G3 and now have the G2S.
    There is an ocean of difference between screen size, the G3 is a beast, but too much of a beast and I wasn't impressed with the battery life at all.
    The G2S is a really nice phone. Screen is smaller but it feels really comfortable in my hand, very responsive and comes with Jellybean which is an advantage. So far, I'm loving the G2S....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

bidiots, I will fight your G2S with my G3 any day - it's could be a bit of a weapon at the right hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

bidiots wrote: »
    I had the G3 and now have the G2S.
    There is an ocean of difference between screen size, the G3 is a beast, but too much of a beast and I wasn't impressed with the battery life at all.
    The G2S is a really nice phone. Screen is smaller but it feels really comfortable in my hand, very responsive and comes with Jellybean which is an advantage. So far, I'm loving the G2S....

What is the G2S comparable with?

Lots of people report 2 days use and more from the G3 battery once they move away from the stock rom which has a known battery drain issue, and the G3 will have Jellybean any day now aswell.

I love a brick of a phone, Ill be moving to a decent 4.7-5 inch model as soon as I see a good one released on Gizchina, I had one of these back in the day when everyone else was playing Snake on their 3210s when my uncles company gave him a Blackberry:

nokia_9500.jpg

Coolest kid in school :cool:

Lots of people report 2 days use and more from the G3 battery once they move away from the stock rom which has a known battery drain issue, and the G3 will have Jellybean any day now aswell.

I love a brick of a phone, Ill be moving to a decent 4.7-5 inch model as soon as I see a good one released on Gizchina, I had one of these back in the day when everyone else was playing Snake on their 3210s when my uncles company gave him a Blackberry:

nokia_9500.jpg

Coolest kid in school :cool:
    I'm having a fast draining battery issue with my star b93 aswell, where would I get a rom to replace the stock rom?

http://www.priceangels.com/Star-B93-MTK6577-Android-4-0-3G-Smartphone-GSM-WCDMA-Dual-Standby-Quad-Band-with-4-7--HD-Capacitive--Screen-and-Wi-Fi-GPS-Bluetooth--Black--s252252.html

Well its only an 1800 mAh battery according to that, the Jiayu G3 is 3000, you could just be using it as its intended. I see it comes with 2 batteries aswell, thats always a sign that even the designers of the phone or tablet think the battery performance is weak.

I cant find much mention of your phone on XDA developers so it doesnt look like it has a big modding community around it, I dont know if it even has root access or not:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Did you root yours? You wont be flashing any ROMs without root access.

http://www.priceangels.com/Star-B93-MTK6577-Android-4-0-3G-Smartphone-GSM-WCDMA-Dual-Standby-Quad-Band-with-4-7--HD-Capacitive--Screen-and-Wi-Fi-GPS-Bluetooth--Black--s252252.html

Well its only an 1800 mAh battery according to that, the Jiayu G3 is 3000, you could just be using it as its intended. I see it comes with 2 batteries aswell, thats always a sign that even the designers of the phone or tablet think the battery performance is weak.

I cant find much mention of your phone on XDA developers so it doesnt look like it has a big modding community around it, I dont know if it even has root access or not:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Did you root yours? You wont be flashing any ROMs without root access.
    No haven't rooted it, brilliant phone only for the battery!

• Advertisement

No haven't rooted it, brilliant phone only for the battery!
    http://www.juicedefender.com/

Stick that or one of its competitors on there, push the power saver settings to the limit without making it too annoying to use, it can make a huge difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement