Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Listen I couldnt do the sexual favours you wanted!!!

Of course you could!! You are very flexible I heard!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

eamonnq wrote: »
    Of course you could!! You are very flexible I heard!! :D

I draw the line at whips and chains......creep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

loyatemu wrote: »
    mine has finally arrived in Ireland and has been "sent to customs" according to AnPost - anyone know will I hear from them or do I have to chase it myself?

I have got the same notice since Friday and haven't heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Phone got pulled by Customs, hopefully should have it in a few days but was looking forward to messing around with it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

loyatemu wrote: »
    mine has finally arrived in Ireland and has been "sent to customs" according to AnPost - anyone know will I hear from them or do I have to chase it myself?
    efahey wrote: »
    I have got the same notice since Friday and haven't heard anything yet

I'd say definitely chase it up.

I chased mine Last Thursday. Customs released it Friday and it was delivered Monday.

They wanted to see proof of order and proof of payment, so I forwarded merimobiles shipment confirmation and a screen grab of proof of payment.

It looks like your going to get stung for charges, so you may as well give them the info (or at least ring them) before they ask for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    you can only do that once 30 days passed

Might be over 40 or 45, can't remember e.g...how long so you have it mick?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

bidiots wrote: »

I thought you had to open the dispute BEFORE 45 days have elapsed but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

I had 2 missed calls yesterday and when i googled the number it was merimobiles customer service number, i ordered a phone two days ago. Anyone know why they would be calling me rather than emailing me? I didnt want to ring them back because of the international call rates. I sent them an email but got no reply

I had 2 missed calls yesterday and when i googled the number it was merimobiles customer service number, i ordered a phone two days ago. Anyone know why they would be calling me rather than emailing me? I didnt want to ring them back because of the international call rates. I sent them an email but got no reply

They called me as well after I ordered. They just wanted to confirm address and email. I thought it was strange too.

RichT wrote: »
    They called me as well after I ordered. They just wanted to confirm address and email. I thought it was strange too.
    Weird enough alright, I was worried there might have been a problem with my order but i can't see any reason why there would be so i'm just going to presume they rang me for the same reason they rang you, unless they try and ring me back or reply to my email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RichT wrote: »
    I'd say definitely chase it up.

I chased mine Last Thursday. Customs released it Friday and it was delivered Monday.

They wanted to see proof of order and proof of payment, so I forwarded merimobiles shipment confirmation and a screen grab of proof of payment.

It looks like your going to get stung for charges, so you may as well give them the info (or at least ring them) before they ask for it

who did you contact?

DHL as they were the carrier.

I didnt want to ring them back because of the international call rates.

Have you not got Skype ?

bidiots wrote: »

Ordered 2 weeks ago so ill have to wait.

Have you not got Skype ?
    Nope, doesn't matter, they got back to me through email just a few mins ago anyway. It was just to confirm my shipping address in the end, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I am 90% sure I want to get the Jiayu G4 Android 4.2 Quad Core 3G Smart Phone with MTK6589T 1.5GHz 4.7 inch HD IPS Retina Screen 1GB Large Battery 3000mah

Here is link to all its specs

.http://www.jiayumobileshop.com/jiayu-mobile-phone/jiayu-g4-mtk6589t-3000ma/jiayu-g4-android-4-2-quad-core-3g-smart-phone-with-mtk6589t-1-5ghz-4-7-inch-hd-ips-retina-screen-1gb-large-battery-black.html

Would anyone have any reasons why I should not go for this phone or recommend a better alternative?

Get this lads, Merimobiles claim DHL changed the tracking number and gave me the new one.....I checked it....It was shipped a week after the original order :rolleyes: I dont mind at least I know my phone is on the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Barr wrote: »
    I am 90% sure I want to get the Jiayu G4 Android 4.2 Quad Core 3G Smart Phone with MTK6589T 1.5GHz 4.7 inch HD IPS Retina Screen 1GB Large Battery 3000mah

Here is link to all its specs

.http://www.jiayumobileshop.com/jiayu-mobile-phone/jiayu-g4-mtk6589t-3000ma/jiayu-g4-android-4-2-quad-core-3g-smart-phone-with-mtk6589t-1-5ghz-4-7-inch-hd-ips-retina-screen-1gb-large-battery-black.html

Would anyone have any reasons why I should not go for this phone or recommend a better alternative?

RE: Jiayu G4, slightly cheaper here, same model I think:

http://www.etotalk.com/jiayu-g4-thick_p3931.html

Have bought 2 different phone from etotalk, both delivered by DHL without any customs charges as they were declared below threshold, no guarantee about that though. I got the etotalk rom put on mine as it roots and removes most of the Chinese apps from the phone.

pauleoin wrote: »
    RE: Jiayu G4, slightly cheaper here, same model I think:

http://www.etotalk.com/jiayu-g4-thick_p3931.html

Have bought 2 different phone from etotalk, both delivered by DHL without any customs charges as they were declared below threshold, no guarantee about that though. I got the etotalk rom put on mine as it roots and removes most of the Chinese apps from the phone.

Great thanks for the advice. Did you mark it as a gift option? Would this have a bearing on getting it through customs I wonder.

• Advertisement

Great thanks for the advice. Did you mark it as a gift option? Would this have a bearing on getting it through customs I wonder.
    No, the only additional thing I ordered from their list was the etotalk rom, they marked it as a "communication device US$ unit value 25". This may not work everytime.

I also got a more expensive case $14.99 (can be ordered seperately with a freepost option if you want to avoid any additional customs if applied) on the second phone as the $4.99 one for the first one was just a useless plastic pouch, delivery took about 5 days from DHL pickup.

If you do order from them go back after you order and confirm your address on your account as I have read that not doing this can delay the order until they contact you to confirm it

pauleoin wrote: »
    No, the only additional thing I ordered from their list was the etotalk rom, they marked it as a "communication device US$ unit value 25". This may not work everytime.

I also got a more expensive case $14.99 (can be ordered seperately with a freepost option if you want to avoid any additional customs if applied) on the second phone as the $4.99 one for the first one was just a useless plastic pouch, delivery took about 5 days from DHL pickup.

If you do order from them go back after you order and confirm your address on your account as I have read that not doing this can delay the order until they contact you to confirm it

Its certainly is a bonus to avoid the customs charges, prehaps you were just luck with your order :)

Once they root the phone is it possible to completely remove all the Chinese apps ?

I got the phones (not the Jiayu, got ZTE & Huawei) for my kids, they have not had any problems after a couple of months use. I think there are some Chinese apps still on the phones but they are not user required apps, so they would not show up in day to day use, all day to day apps are English versions.

Customs is unpredictable, so I would keep the total cost as low as possible in case you do get caught.

Any of these sites that use the manufacturer's name in them do so just to give the impression that they are 'official resellers' but they have nothing to do with the manufacturers and are probably best avoided.

Any of these sites that use the manufacturer's name in them do so just to give the impression that they are 'official resellers' but they have nothing to do with the manufacturers and are probably best avoided.

I thought it was the Jiayu site tbh. I just linked it to show the specs of the phone.

Mermimobiles seem to be the cheapest although I would nearly prefer to go with Pauleonin suggested etotalk site if they can install a rom to delete the Chinese apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If the vendor can root the phone you can do it yourself in about 15 minutes aswell.

I thought it was the Jiayu site tbh. I just linked it to show the specs of the phone.

Mermimobiles seem to be the cheapest although I would nearly prefer to go with Pauleonin suggested etotalk site if they can install a rom to delete the Chinese apps.

and that is what they want you to think, and why they do it.

Thargor wrote: »
    If the vendor can root the phone you can do it yourself in about 15 minutes aswell.

Would it be straight forward to do once its rooted. Is it just like deleting any app on android ? Sorry I am a bit of a novice to the whole process :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yep, long press --> uninstall.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Yep, long press --> uninstall.

There was me thinking it would be complicated :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement