Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That album was from before I realised rooting the phone lets you turn off the Android camera shutter sound effect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Thargor wrote: »
    That album was from before I realised rooting the phone lets you turn off the Android camera shutter sound effect :D

Well a few black eyes and a arrest shouldnt have put you off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

Any ideas on bottom line price so? (incl. fast delivery, VAT etc.)

The linked URL in the post you quote mentions preorder so be careful, sometimes these sites say things are for sale just to get the jump on the competition then string you along for a few weeks, worth firing off an email to them first anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

pajor wrote: »
    Any ideas on bottom line price so? (incl. fast delivery, VAT etc.)

I would not be buying from that site anyway, would prefer to wait until Etotalk , Merimobiles or one of the other 'more reputable' sites show stock being available.

Edit: Ta-dah: http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-red-rice-wcdma_p/meri9833.htm

Not sure if stock is actually 'available' even though they state they will ship in 2-3 business days (but they say a lot of things!!).

Bit too dear for my idea of a 'budget Android Phone' too!!!

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    I would not be buying from that site anyway, would prefer to wait until Etotalk , Merimobiles or one of the other 'more reputable' sites show stock being available.

Edit: Ta-dah: http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-red-rice-wcdma_p/meri9833.htm

Not sure if stock is actually 'available' even though they state they will ship in 2-3 business days (but they say a lot of things!!).

I'd have no idea what the 'reputable' sites would be, so thanks.

That comes to over €200 with DHL, bit rich alright.

I'd have no idea what the 'reputable' sites would be, so thanks.

That comes to over €200 with DHL, bit rich alright.

+ 23% vat , if customs get it and a small handling charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

efahey wrote: »
    I got letter asking for paypal receipt or screenshot of from website purchased from. Once i sent this to them within an hour got the following back

Total Value of Goods - 171.85

Customs Duty - 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - 39.52
    An Post Fee - 6.00
    Total for Collection - 45.52

where did you have to send the receipt to - don't fancy waiting for a letter. An Post have had my phone since Monday and didn't answer my email.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

loyatemu wrote: »
    where did you have to send the receipt to - don't fancy waiting for a letter. An Post have had my phone since Monday and didn't answer my email.

I emailed it to dmc@revenue.ie but title had to have reference number but you could give it a shot and email to see. They replied within the hour, I had sent email to customer services in an post before and heard nothing so I would try emailing them direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

There is a big difference in price with the non 3G version. Maybe the fact its just out they are charging a big premium

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-red-rice-quad-core-4-7-inch-with-gorilla-glass-smartphone_p/meri7833.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

phone looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Hi All

Would ye have any recommendation for a phone with decent GPS ? This the main feature I’m after.

Is there a particular brand/ processor I could look out for that gives the best GPS.

Thanks

golfdiva wrote: »
    Hi All

Would ye have any recommendation for a phone with decent GPS ? This the main feature I’m after.

Is there a particular brand/ processor I could look out for that gives the best GPS.

Thanks

Any Turbo model, they all have the same chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Oh yes, someone asked me a while back what the GPS was like on the Jiayu G4. I said it wasn't great.
    Realised last night the reason behind that..
    Location access and Data Connection both off :o:o (I only ever use the Wifi for the internet)
    Sorry to whoever that was that asked!
    I played around with it a bit last night, it's pretty quick.

Any Turbo model, they all have the same chipset.

The MTK6589T so?

The MTK6589T so?

Yup.

Think I remember reading somewhere that phones with the Snapdragon processors have much better GPS . Not sure how the compare with the newer MTK6589T though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

Yea!!! phone arrived this morning at work, still haven't had a proper chance to check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

My girlfriend is looking to upgrade her faulty Galaxy S2. I am going to give her my iPhone 4s to keep her going for the moment and get a new phone myself, but would definitely consider getting something from China after reading this thread.

I am not at all familiar with Android or an expert on smartphones in general. How much for something at least the spec of a 4s :D or preferably something closer to the latest models on the market.

Any help would be great. Links also useful :)

• Advertisement

For a decent GPS phone it looks like the xiaomi mi3 would be a great option. Could be expensive though.

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_3-5678.php

Barr wrote: »
    For a decent GPS phone it looks like the xiaomi mi3 would be a great option. Could be expensive though.

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_3-5678.php

At least €400 by the looks of it.

At least €400 by the looks of it.

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-hongmi-red-rice-wcdma_p/meri9833.htm

229 usd

Nice phone but if GPS is top of the list , this does not have the snapdragon chip.

efahey wrote: »
    Yea!!! phone arrived this morning at work, still haven't had a proper chance to check it out
    What did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

OK so having had my W200 for 48 hours I have to say I'm very, very pleased with performance of the device in practically all respects. Device is quick and responsive, battery life is respectable, screen in crisp and sharp albeit maybe a little faded compared to Samsung's AMOLEDs (I know some people find them overly saturated) that I've gotten used. Been looking around at ROMs but honestly I feel no real compunction to change what I got from Meri, the phone is rooted with zero bloatware. All I did was change to Nova launcher out of habit.

For $189 you can't really go wrong. Already had 2 people at work ask where I got the phone from and if I'd be willing to order in ones for them. :D

OK so having had my W200 for 48 hours I have to say I'm very, very pleased with performance of the device in practically all respects. Device is quick and responsive, battery life is respectable, screen in crisp and sharp albeit maybe a little faded compared to Samsung's AMOLEDs (I know some people find them overly saturated) that I've gotten used. Been looking around at ROMs but honestly I feel no real compunction to change what I got from Meri, the phone is rooted with zero bloatware. All I did was change to Nova launcher out of habit.

For $189 you can't really go wrong. Already had 2 people at work ask where I got the phone from and if I'd be willing to order in ones for them. :D

Yeah.. I'm seriously tempted. :)

That the rooting for $6.99?

Barr wrote: »
    Nice phone but if GPS is top of the list , this does not have the snapdragon chip.
    Two different phones though.

Yep, two different phones but worth considering for the price, MTK6589T chip so GPS should not be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Yeah.. I'm seriously tempted. :)

That the rooting for $6.99?

Not sure actually, when I changed from the THL W100 to the W200 I got a free case and screen protector because they couldn't apply the 5% discount for the new order, guess they threw in the root as well as a recompense.

Now that I think of it, the only thing I don't like about it is that the 8GB internal memory comes split into two partitions, just because I dislike having to move apps to another partition/card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement