Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Quick question about Merimobile. I used the chat facility on their site to check if they had a phone in stock and was told they didn't but..

'we order in bulk so it may take a few days for the supplier to deliver to us but if its just one and the supplier has one we can get it within a day'

They were extremely helpful and HONEST, just wondering if I could be waiting a month or something? I would prefer buy a different phone if that's the case. Anyone any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

I came across this for anyone on the MTK chip that has problems with GPS. Not sure if it works but guess it’s worth a try

http://chinesetech.net/2013/10/16/mtk-phone-gps-software-fix/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Barr wrote: »
    I came across this for anyone on the MTK chip that has problems with GPS. Not sure if it works but guess it’s worth a try

It doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Quick question about Merimobile. I used the chat facility on their site to check if they had a phone in stock and was told they didn't but..

'we order in bulk so it may take a few days for the supplier to deliver to us but if its just one and the supplier has one we can get it within a day'

They were extremely helpful and HONEST, just wondering if I could be waiting a month or something? I would prefer buy a different phone if that's the case. Anyone any experience of this?
    Its a complete gamble, nobody would be shocked if you were waiting a month and if you choose a free delivery option you probably will, they're reliable and they respond to communications but the general experience is usually a slow one, plus the added gamble of up to a week in customs in Dublin aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Thargor wrote: »
    Its a complete gamble, nobody would be shocked if you were waiting a month and if you choose a free delivery option you probably will, they're reliable and they respond to communications but the general experience is usually a slow one, plus the added gamble of up to a week in customs in Dublin aswell.

I've been looking at phones with the turbo chipset on eBay. Good few that are located in the UK. They're costing a little bit more, but seems like it's worth it for the shorter postage time and no customs nonsense.

• Advertisement

pajor wrote: »
    I've been looking at phones with the turbo chipset on eBay. Good few that are located in the UK. They're costing a little bit more, but seems like it's worth it for the shorter postage time and no customs nonsense.

What phone are you thinking of getting ?

What phone are you thinking of getting ?

The cheapest I can with the turbo chipset. :D

I'm the highest bidder on this atm. Not expecting to get it for that though.

EDIT: Outbid. Meh.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200984475751?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

The cheapest I can with the turbo chipset. :D

I'm the highest bidder on this atm. Not expecting to get it for that though.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/200984475751?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

Very nice phone , great spec to be fair

5 mp front camera :cool:

Very nice phone , great spec to be fair

5 mp front camera :cool:

I'll keep an eye on it but I'd say it'll go for more than I can afford right now.

Just got this email from Dealextreme (Slow for free deliveries aswell but probably the most trustworthy Chinese vendor):

http://dx.com/p/jiayu-g3s-mt6589t-quad-core-android-4-2-wcdma-phone-w-4-5-ips-gorilla-glass-4gb-rom-8mp-black-259922?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20131108octobernewarrivals

dx.com/p/jiayu-g4-mt6589t-quad-core-android-4-2-wcdma-phone-w-4-7-ips-gorilla-screen-4gb-rom-13mp-white-260281

Those are good deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭efahey

Thargor wrote: »
    What did you get?

Got Zopo C2 quad core 1.5MHZ with the MTK6589T processor 1GB ram 32GB Rom gorilla glass. It scored 15126 on AnTuTu benchmark, although have no idea what that means as this is my first android phone, so still on lookout for good apps so any recommendations would be good.

Panthro wrote: »
    Oh yes, someone asked me a while back what the GPS was like on the Jiayu G4. I said it wasn't great.
    Realised last night the reason behind that..
    Location access and Data Connection both off :o:o (I only ever use the Wifi for the internet)
    Sorry to whoever that was that asked!
    I played around with it a bit last night, it's pretty quick.

That is good to know for me thinking of this phone.

Is there voice navigation on the GPS ?

You can use any GPS app you want so yes, Google Navigation is the default and probably best and it can speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

DHL updated 10 mins ago to say "Customs status passed" does that mean ive been stung for customs and gotta pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

DHL updated 10 mins ago to say "Customs status passed" does that mean ive been stung for customs and gotta pay?

You'll always get caught for charges with DHL, they seemingly collect on behalf of Revenue for all their stuff that qualifies for VAT and duty.

The opposite I would think?

Item was 151 euro maybe ill get lucky :pac:

Item was 151 euro maybe ill get lucky :pac:

I've been trawling back but can't find it.. what did you order?

I've been trawling back but can't find it.. what did you order?

Jiayu G3ST

http://www.merimobiles.com/huawei-g525-quad-core-1-2ghz-dual-sim-4-5-inch-ips-960-540-android4-1-dual-cam_p/meri7431.htm

Rooted and Singapore Post keeps it under the customs threshold. Huawei are after all the world's third biggest phone brand.

Is just a 1700 mah battery a deal breaker though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

http://www.merimobiles.com/huawei-g525-quad-core-1-2ghz-dual-sim-4-5-inch-ips-960-540-android4-1-dual-cam_p/meri7431.htm

Rooted and Singapore Post keeps it under the customs threshold. Huawei are after all the world's third biggest phone brand.

Is just a 1700 mah battery a deal breaker though?

Mobile phones are duty free, the threshold for VAT is only about 20 euro so you'll still likely have to pay 23% plus handling fee.

spix wrote: »
    Mobile phones are duty free, the threshold for VAT is only about 20 euro so you'll still likely have to pay 23% plus handling fee.

Ah bollix you're right. I'm getting the VAT and duty amounts mixed up. Dang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I've been looking around at some of those Chinese Clones and would be very interested in something along the lines of S4 replica. Once it had decent memory and performed well as a phone (some phones have great bells and whistles but are crap when it comes to making & taking calls) the I'd be really happy.

Anyone any suggestions or recommendations please? :)

shamwari wrote: »
    I've been looking around at some of those Chinese Clones and would be very interested in something along the lines of S4 replica. Once it had decent memory and performed well as a phone (some phones have great bells and whistles but are crap when it comes to making & taking calls) the I'd be really happy.

Anyone any suggestions or recommendations please? :)

Clones may get binned by customs, I would stick with brand names.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Engrossed with this thread the past few weeks.

I'm interested in a 5 - 5.5 inch screen. Prefer the latter, similar to the Note 2 or 3

Any recommendations?

Thanks

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Engrossed with this thread the past few weeks.

I'm interested in a 5 - 5.5 inch screen. Prefer the latter, similar to the Note 2 or 3

Any recommendations?

Thanks

What about this. It has the snapdragon chip which has quality GPS. Specs good overall though the camera could better.

http://www.merimobiles.com/k-touch-s2-snapdragon-msm8225q-quad-core-1-2ghz-with-android-4-1-5-3-inch-ips-960-540-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri7904.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The SnapDragon version of the Xiaomi MI-3 might be the one to go for. Should be released in December.

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-mi-3-quad-core-2-3ghz-miui-v5-os-5inch-1920-1080-smartphone_p/meri8614.htm

Nate

Fantastic looking phone …..but at €499 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

LOL - I must have misread that! Didn't think it was €499! :)

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Ah bollix you're right. I'm getting the VAT and duty amounts mixed up. Dang.

Good website explaining VAT and DUTY:
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-ireland/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement